THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT April 19-23  (Read 64013 times)

ross_teneyck

• Not quite a lurker
  • This sentence is self-referential.
    • http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~teneyck
Re: WCT April 19-23
« Reply #100 on: 21 Apr 2010, 18:11 »

It's been said already, but nobody said that Faye has to make an exact duplicate of her prototype.  There are any number of ways she could mix it up and still produce a tiny Tyrannosaurus that poops espresso.

And assuming she doesn't want to get locked into making funky coffee machines all her days, she could, you know, actually TALK to this guy who just casually dropped two grand on her, and see what other kinds of pieces he might be willing to pay her for.
Are wa yume? Soretomo maboroshi?

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #101 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:14 »

What I find funny is that Penelope is basically going berserk over a comment Faye made. Nevermind the fact that it seems more rooted in jealousy and nevermind the fact that for someone who seems to pride herself on intellectual pursuits she doesn't seem to understand how art can be so difficult to make and create. Faye might also be (somewhat rightly) worried that she's going to turn into a manufacturing wing for Dora who figures that she can act as an Agent to Faye and get good money due to commissions.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #102 on: 21 Apr 2010, 21:07 »

It's been said already, but nobody said that Faye has to make an exact duplicate of her prototype.  There are any number of ways she could mix it up and still produce a tiny Tyrannosaurus that poops espresso.

And assuming she doesn't want to get locked into making funky coffee machines all her days, she could, you know, actually TALK to this guy who just casually dropped two grand on her, and see what other kinds of pieces he might be willing to pay her for.

God forbid, you should ask questions!  I teach 20-somethings, and there's something about the hyperconnected terminally clever know it all attitude that just keeps them from asking any questions - it just ain't cool! 

I've actually had this conversation with people, usually in my office or in private outside of class;

"Can you explain (xyz)?" 

"Sure.  Why didn't you ask about it in class when I went over it and asked if there were any questions?" 

And the answers range from "I didn't want to look dumb" (for god sake, you're in school, no one expects you to know it all) to "Everyone else seemed to understand it, and I didn't want to waste class time" (believe me, if it's a waste of class time, I'll let you know, and ask you to meet with me outside of class so I can go over it in more detail). 

But what I always say is this; If you didn't understand it, odds are there are several others in the class who didn't either, and would have been thankful that you asked about it! 

It's a revelation to most people that you can ask for help, or advice - or in Faye's case, what the customer would be happy with - and actually get an answer!  And I know it didn't used to be this way...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #103 on: 21 Apr 2010, 21:09 »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #104 on: 21 Apr 2010, 21:13 »

Someday Penny will actually snap and go homicidal. And that would be a bad thing.

#### IT! You TVTroped me!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #105 on: 21 Apr 2010, 21:26 »

Penelope really needs to lighten the fuck up. Try to understand how the other person thinks. Blowing up because they didn't see the situation her way is such a bitch thing to do.

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #106 on: 21 Apr 2010, 22:13 »

Penelope really needs to lighten the fuck up. Try to understand how the other person thinks. Blowing up because they didn't see the situation her way is such a bitch thing to do.

Seriously. Dora, OTOH, deserves kudos for pointing out Penelope's hypocrisy. And Faye gets points for the cool (if extremely dangerous) sword-balancing. (Hey, better that than using it to threaten customers who ask out Marten.)

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #107 on: 21 Apr 2010, 22:13 »

Yeah, you can tell these girls grew up in the internet age.  

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #108 on: 21 Apr 2010, 22:17 »

Blowing up because they didn't see the situation her way is such a bitch thing to do.
Actually it's such a human thing to do. I certainly couldn't honestly say I'd never done it. Could anyone?

Dora is the boss in this strip, in all senses of the word.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #109 on: 21 Apr 2010, 22:34 »

Reminds me of 1289, where Pennelope was very into being right and Dora was being the voice of reason.

Anybody's biggest buttons are about the things they dislike in themselves. Thus it is with Pennelope.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #110 on: 21 Apr 2010, 22:45 »

Faye has one hell of a perky nose, balance a broadsword on it and it doesn't indent in the slightest

Exar_Kun

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Me Hawngry!
« Reply #111 on: 21 Apr 2010, 22:59 »

God I hate people who refuse to acknowledge that they might not correct 100% of the time. Self-righteous a-holes...

Its pretty easy to find people in this Wikipedia era who are like that. Give people a Wiki link and suddenly they are "experts" in a field they didn't know or care about 10 minutes ago.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 23:03 by Exar_Kun »
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

westrim

« Reply #112 on: 22 Apr 2010, 00:06 »

Someday Penny will actually snap and go homicidal. And that would be a bad thing.

#### IT! You TVTroped me!

Bwa-hahahahaha!

interesting stuff, I'm a teacher.
What do you teach?

And Faye gets points for the cool (if extremely dangerous) sword-balancing.
I'd like to know how she's doing that, though. Broadswords are, like, heavy man!

Blowing up because they didn't see the situation her way is such a bitch thing to do.
Actually it's such a human thing to do. I certainly couldn't honestly say I'd never done it. Could anyone?
Yes, but your female, so the bitch tag could still apply (insert attempts to make sure you don't find that offensive here (insert apology for assuming you might be offended(insert more nested parentheses))).

As a dude, I can say that I have never stayed in community college for 4 years, dawdling my life away because I don't want to make the choice between engineer, librarian, and history teacher *cough*.

God I hate people who refuse to acknowledge that they might not correct 100% of the time. Self-righteous a-holes...

Its pretty easy to find people in this Wikipedia era who are like that. Give people a Wiki link and suddenly they are "experts" in a field they didn't know or care about 10 minutes ago.
I did that once, in a conversation about whether or not rail and coilguns recoil (I said they did not). BOB, i felt like an idiot jerkass after that one.

Responses, wheee!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #113 on: 22 Apr 2010, 00:14 »

I wonder if she interned at The White House.   :-D

Seriously though, Penelope needs to decide whether to fish or cut bait.

Hmmmm  I wonder if Faye could do that on a Unicycle.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #114 on: 22 Apr 2010, 00:30 »

First time I got on a TVTrope page without reading douzes of other TVTrope pages as well...
Carpe Diem

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #115 on: 22 Apr 2010, 00:35 »

this is dangerous talk, you know what our Supreme Leader thinks of that site.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #116 on: 22 Apr 2010, 00:44 »

Funniest part of the page to me was the first panel, where Penelope's calling Faye names, and Faye's response? "Dora! Tell Penny to stop being mean to me!" You can almost hear the high-pitched child voice she's using too. Comic gold. The last panel was funny too, but not as much as the first. It was actually kinda sad, knowing that neither Penny NOR Faye should be working in a coffee shop at their ages, but should be on to bigger better things. Or at least "other" things.

Oh well, at least in the QC-verse people make enough from low-end jobs (like coffee shop barista and assistant college librarian) to be able to afford their own apartment. Barely.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #117 on: 22 Apr 2010, 00:55 »

Well, if she's balancing the broadsword it might also be that she has it against the ceiling so she has some other aid to keep it steady. But yeah, that is a fairly amusing thing. As for the comic, go Dora. Also for some reason I now can't help but visualize an Espressodactyl that works as a flying coffee vending machine that then gets hijacked by pintsize to do aerial duels with the flying rhoombas.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

AngryCallCenterAgent

• "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.
« Reply #118 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:06 »

Anti-achievers: Cutting out the middleman of success since... hell, I dunno...
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #119 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:11 »

Since when is a tiny broadsword standard equipment for CoD? Since when is it standard equipment in any coffee house?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #120 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:33 »

Since 468, at least.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #121 on: 22 Apr 2010, 05:21 »

Yes, but your female, so the bitch tag could still apply (insert attempts to make sure you don't find that offensive here (insert apology for assuming you might be offended(insert more nested parentheses))).
((((Insert assurance that no offence is taken)))) It's the bracket singularity!  :laugh:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #122 on: 22 Apr 2010, 06:24 »

What is a "surpreme leader" and can one eat it ?
Carpe Diem

Tunahead

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #123 on: 22 Apr 2010, 06:37 »

in the next strip, someone will be horribly maimed and/or killed

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #124 on: 22 Apr 2010, 07:44 »

So long as it isn't the only person in this particular strip that is actually doing what they enjoy and wouldn't rather be doing somethin' else for a living.

And by that I mean Dora, she's an entrepeneur and appears ready to keep it up until it's no longer viable.  She's got her dream, and now she's living it and making it work. 

Faye wants to keep the fun bits without the "feeling like work" business, and Penny is caught by her own hypocrisy (again) - wanting the job, but not the unpleasant bits you need to do to get there.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Zipperstuck

• Plantmonster
« Reply #125 on: 22 Apr 2010, 09:52 »

Panel 3 Dora pretty much summed up how all feminists work.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #126 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:52 »

They have a cave troll.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #127 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:27 »

They have a cave troll.

Thank you Boromir
James The Kugai 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #128 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:22 »

So, is this consistent with Pennelope's characterization?

We know she's capable of self-discipline, as shown by her commitment to fitness.

Is it just the idea of subservience that's unpalatable to her?

EDIT: Would it be better storytelling or worse if one or more characters pulled themselves out of their ruts? On the one hand it's easier to see the humor in dysfunctional people and somebody has to work in the coffee shop. On the other hand characters facing challenges and having victories and defeats offer a lot more storytelling opportunities (vide Hannelore!), and even though those tend toward drama there should be plenty of humor involved. Marten's band could be as funny as Spinal Tap. Pennelope in an office environment could be like Dilbert, but funny.

Could Pennelope be a freelance editor? That job does exist.

Is Dora in a rut herself? She's turned down an offer to finance a CoD expansion, after all.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 12:45 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #129 on: 22 Apr 2010, 13:48 »

Penelope's probably just compartmentalizing.  The exercise has both long and short term payoffs, but she was perfectly happy willing to keep her old job at the bookstore with the grabass boss.  She had to be pressganged into working at CoD!  Although she came back willingly the next day...

And she's able to give good advice and hand out the tough love for the foibles of others (Wil), but can't seem to follow her own advice.  Which isn't all that unusual, really. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #130 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:10 »

She had just been fired from her other job ... "Willingly" in the sense that she didn't reject the bird in the hand in favor of another job that might or might not have been in the bush.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #131 on: 22 Apr 2010, 16:04 »

They have a cave troll.

Thank you Boromir

Three movies and other than Theoden's speech right before the Charge of the Rohirrim, still the best line for me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #132 on: 22 Apr 2010, 16:12 »

She had just been fired from her other job ... "Willingly" in the sense that she didn't reject the bird in the hand in favor of another job that might or might not have been in the bush.

Got herself fired, actually.  For smartassery, which she probably picked up while at CoD the day before!  Without more details it's hard to tell, but it seems to have been tantamount to quitting. 

But yeah, either way, she's not one to recognize her own "life choices". 
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 16:15 by Carl-E »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #133 on: 22 Apr 2010, 16:27 »

I wonder if she could have sued after giving permission for her boss to take a picture of her ass.

Oh, and blaming the CoD crew for her getting fired was definitely a lack of awareness about her life choices.

Y'know, here we sit judging the choices of nonexistent people. When we could be advancing our own lives. That's a mini-epiphany. I'm going to put down the computer and go out for a walk in the sunshine with the neighbor's dog.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Manix

« Reply #134 on: 22 Apr 2010, 17:09 »

Does anyone else think that Marten and Dora tend to act more like Faye/Hanners/Pen-Pen's parents than there friends some times?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #135 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:37 »

Adoption jokes in 1394 and 630.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

« Reply #136 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:44 »

Ooh, ooh! An expressoceratops that shoots coffee out of it's horns! Three times the refill capacity! Man, am I a genus or what! Yes, "genus" was entirely intentional

Anti-achievers: Cutting out the middleman of success since... hell, I dunno...

Since, like, whenever man *draws in breath*.

Since when is a tiny broadsword standard equipment for CoD? Since when is it standard equipment in any coffee house?

1. Since robberies and gun laws.
2. That thing's at least 2 feet long I'd say.
3. Um, I dunno, rule of three (you're welcome!)

((((Insert assurance that no offence is taken)))) It's the bracket singularity!  :laugh:

Dear Bob, what have you done? It's the bracket singularity! The division by zero! The Hadron Collider collision! OH Noooooooooooooooooooo!  :-o

What is a "supreme leader" and can one eat it ?
Yes, but they're kind of chewy and bitter.

Is Dora in a rut herself? She's turned down an offer to finance a CoD expansion, after all.

To be a Starbucksish megachain. All she would have needed was to sell her soul. Actually, have we ever heard the story of the founding of CoD? i don't think we have. How did a young 20something like her get enough capitol to start a business? Or did she take it over from someone else? Flashback time, Jeph!

They have a cave troll.
Thank you Boromir
Three movies and other than Theoden's speech right before the Charge of the Rohirrim, still the best line for me.
I agree, but "My precious" is eminently more quotable. There just aren't many cave trolls running around.

Does anyone else think that Marten and Dora tend to act more like Faye/Hanners/Pen-Pen's parents than there friends some times?

No, that observation has never been made before. It has not been noted over and over again at all.  :evil:

Carl-E, what do you teach?
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 18:46 by westrim »

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #137 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:51 »

Panel 3 Dora pretty much summed up how all feminists work.
Think I just found the cave troll

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #138 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:56 »

Of course, Pen's commentary is even more laughable if you think/believe she really was Pizza Girl...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #139 on: 22 Apr 2010, 20:33 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #140 on: 22 Apr 2010, 22:46 »

They have a cave troll.
Thank you Boromir
I agree, but "My precious" is eminently more quotable. There just aren't many cave trolls running around.
[/quote]

Has to be right up there with Gimli's "Nobody tosses a Dwarf!!"
James The Kugai 

westrim

« Reply #141 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:16 »

Wow, Sven sure is in a funk. I kind of feel sorry for hi- wait, three girls have given him their number!? Dude, sober up (mentally ,not from drunkeness)!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #142 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:35 »

Wil has grown quite a dapper set of facial hair.

I wonder, has he been hanging out with David Malki ! or is that just part of the dress code of The Horrible Revelation?
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 23:37 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #143 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:40 »

Sven - eats salads as a main course.
Sven - will kick your ass.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

westrim

« Reply #144 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:44 »

Wil has grown quite a dapper set of facial hair.

I wonder, has he been hanging out with David Malki ! or is that just part of the dress code of The Horrible Revelation?

I was thinking it was a paste on.

And it's the dress code for bar employees, with rentable costumes as shown in some earlier strips. The bar theme is steampunk.

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #145 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:47 »

Wow, Sven sure is in a funk. I kind of feel sorry for hi- wait, three girls have given him their number!? Dude, sober up (mentally ,not from drunkeness)!

Sven is perfectly sober. He just can't have the one woman he wants.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #146 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:49 »

Faye turned him into a Eunuch.    :-o

I can't help but feel that painting is somehow symbolic.  

cgarci21

• Shagtastic
« Reply #147 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:52 »

Sven!

Wow, he is way depressed. I'm a little shocked he hasn't bounced back from Faye yet, I kinda thought he would be hitting on his intern by now.
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #148 on: 23 Apr 2010, 00:04 »

Faye turned him into a Eunuch.    :-o
Quote from: Faye in strip 793
I don't RECALL doing so, but I suppose I could have done it while sleepwalking or blacked-out drunk.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #149 on: 23 Apr 2010, 00:19 »

in the next strip, someone will be horribly maimed and/or killed
Where that "someone" turned out to be the opposite of boredom.

Most boring QC ever, and its about Sven alone, too.
Carpe Diem
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up