Poll

How to tell this is a comic not reality

The laundry room isn't locked after a certain hour
- 7 (12.1%)
There are those robots...
- 6 (10.3%)
Attractive women are wandering around in their PJs outside of their apartments
- 18 (31%)
Perhaps because it's drawn and scripted?
- 13 (22.4%)
Couldn't think of anything terribly witty could you BR?
- 14 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 17-21 May 2010  (Read 76998 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCT 17-21 May 2010
« Reply #250 on: 23 May 2010, 13:09 »

Having several ranges of coins distinguished by metal, thickness and shape is necessary to cover practical needs.

When I was young (i.e. pre-decimalisation in UK) there were two series of coins in common use - copper and silver (though no longer of those metals).  Actually, there were three, including the gold ones (sovereign etc, which stayed gold) which were not in common use.  But keeping proportionality of size to value (for ease of weighing, and to prevent problems with counterfeiting) meant that the size range for each type was very wide - a silver 3d  piece to a silver 5/- piece was a factor of 20:1 in weight, which is why the crown (5/- piece) did not circulate, and the 3d piece was replaced in common use by an anomalous 12-sided coin.  Even then, the size range from the 6d ("tanner") to the 2/6 ("half-crown") was considerably wider than we now have to handle.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2010, 15:02 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #251 on: 23 May 2010, 14:46 »

The size issue is one of value, based on the metals.  In the US, the penny has always been copper, since the early eighteen hundreds, and has always been (roughly) the same size.  There were two cent coins, which were about twice as big, and the original five cent coins were huge copper monstrosities.  The relative value of nickel to copper allowed them to make a five cent piece (nickel) much smaller.  The dime, a $.10 piece, was made of silver originally, and so is considerably smaller than a penny.  The quarter ($.25), $.50 piece, and silver dollar were all proportional to weight, with the silver dollar being a full 1 ounce of silver  (until '63, when silver-clad copper started being used...)  They were very large, and anything of larger denomination was made of gold.  There was a gold one dollar coin minted for a while, but it was smaller than a dime. 

The current "golden dollars" that the US has been minting for quite awhile now (no gold involved) are closer to the old gold ten dollar pieces in size, which makes roughly the same size as a quarter, which is a constant complaint about the coins.

Sorry, I come from a long line of US coin collectors, and though the only thing I collect are wheat back pennies (my prize is a 1909 VDB I found in change), different parts of the family have everything from prerevolutionary coins through every mint set ever put out!

In other words, we've hit one of my nerd spots...

And it's Sunday afternoon.  What else am I gonna do while waiting?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #252 on: 23 May 2010, 14:49 »

"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #253 on: 23 May 2010, 19:27 »

They're pretty good, especially for what look to be a bunch of schoolkids.  I enjoyed the video, despite the loading issues. 

But how do I vote?  There wasn't anything about voting on the page...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #254 on: 23 May 2010, 19:34 »

In the US, the penny has always been copper, since the early eighteen hundreds, and has always been (roughly) the same size.
I thought they were plated zinc now? <wiki> <wiki> <wiki>

1793–1857    copper
1857–1864    88% copper, 12% nickel (also known as NS-12)
1864–1942    bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
1943            zinc-coated steel (also known as steel penny)
1944–1946    brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
1946–1962    bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
1974            Experimental aluminum variety
1962–1982    brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
1982–2009    97.5% zinc core, 2.5% copper plating
2009 (Limited)    bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
2010–present    97.5% zinc core, 2.5% copper plating
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #255 on: 23 May 2010, 19:43 »

They pretty much have to be.  The price of copper now means that a copper penny would be worth more for the metal than for the penny itself.  Not by much, but still enough to make a difference; you'd have people melting down pennies and reselling them to buy more pennies to melt down.  Absolute anarchy, I tells ye!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #256 on: 23 May 2010, 20:30 »

Yet another reason to stop making the damn things.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #257 on: 23 May 2010, 21:14 »

Nazis.

There, I've officially Godwin'd the thread.
Thats not how it works ... though I definitely love the intention.

I dont see why its such a bad idea to ask for money thats easily distinguishable, even for blind people.

And why its a bad idea to have different colors so even non-blind people can distinguish it more easily ? Doesnt need to be so drastic that it looks like monopoly money.

Personally I prefer artists and philosophers on money, not some politicans. But then again, the USA doesnt have that many really big artists, now, do they ? :evil: Just kidding. They lack classic artists, though. No wonder if a country was founded only some 200+ years ago.

Short hair—BLEAH—hate it!
Suit yourself. If a woman has a really beautiful face, short hair can be very cute. Nothing to block the view. :D

I for once loved it on Mena Suvari and Natalie Portman.

My question:

is the reference in the title to Dora's new hair, or to Hanner's mom's new pool boy?
I definitely vote pool boys. Dora definitely cuts her hair more often than just once every three months.

Three months though is the time one stays in initial love before thinking the whole thing over, so that makes sense. Hanners mom simply grows bored of the pool boy and gets a new one.

Having several ranges of coins distinguished by metal, thickness and shape is necessary to cover practical needs.

When I was young (i.e. pre-decimalisation in UK) there were two series of coins in common use - copper and silver (though no longer of those metals).  Actually, there were three, including the gold ones (sovereign etc, which stayed gold) which were not in common use.  But keeping proportionality of size to value (for ease of weighing, and to prevent problems with counterfeiting) meant that the size range for each type was very wide - a silver 3d  piece to a silver 5/- piece was a factor of 20:1 in weight, which is why the crown (5/- piece) did not circulate, and the 3d piece was replaced in common use by an anomalous 12-sided coin.  Even then, the size range from the 6d ("tanner") to the 2/6 ("half-crown") was considerably wider than we now have to handle.
Thank you for putting a knot in my brain.

Yet another reason to stop making the damn things.
Or for introducing a new dollar that has 100-1000 times the value of the old money, so cents actually have a reason to exist at all any more.
Carpe Diem

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #258 on: 23 May 2010, 22:23 »

They're pretty good, especially for what look to be a bunch of schoolkids.
Hah, they get that a lot! They're actually 19, been at this a couple of years now. "Vote" by clicking on the sliding scale of stars under the video, visiting their Myspace page and playing the tracks, re-Tweeting the link or sharing on Facebook, pass it on. It's all about generating measurable "buzz".

If a woman has a really beautiful face, short hair can be very cute. Nothing to block the view. :D

Although you can take things a little too far...

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #259 on: 23 May 2010, 22:49 »

Oh, god, now Jeph's gonna make Dora hate the purple and shave her head.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #260 on: 23 May 2010, 22:56 »

That should bring out her inner Deltan
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #261 on: 24 May 2010, 02:34 »

Oh, god, now Jeph's gonna make Dora hate the purple and shave her head.
Meh... That's such a cliché of East Asian beautiful-woman-becomes-a-nun cinema...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #262 on: 24 May 2010, 11:19 »

I will admit to having had a vague longing to run my hand over Persis Khambatta's head when I first saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture. But I was young and more…impressionable.

I have always wondered if anyone ever suggested her character's 'clone' Deana Troi be bald, and how Marina Sirtis would've reacted to that.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #263 on: 25 May 2010, 04:29 »

If a woman has a really beautiful face, short hair can be very cute. Nothing to block the view. :D

Although you can take things a little too far...
I said beautiful face. Dunno who the lower one is, but that isnt Natalie Portman. And no, it doesnt look good on her.
Carpe Diem

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #264 on: 25 May 2010, 05:11 »

That's Persis Khambatta in Star Trek - The Motion Picture (sadly she died of a massive heart attack at 47).

This is what she looked like un-shorn:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up