Baking: Science For Hungry People!
- 7 (24.1%)
Alliance Rogue? I Have Some Standards
- 2 (6.9%)
T-Shirts and Aprons - YAY!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT (Weekly Comic Thread) May 31-June 4, 2010 (1676-1680)  (Read 69893 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: WCT (Weekly Comic Thread) May 31-June 4, 2010
« Reply #250 on: 04 Jun 2010, 15:31 »

No reason they can't do both.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #251 on: 04 Jun 2010, 15:35 »

The night elves and the high elves had kind of a proletariat-bourgeoisie relationship that culminated into the big split when demons invaded.
What did I just say about misinformation? High Elves didn't even exist until thousands of years after the invasion.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #252 on: 04 Jun 2010, 15:38 »

You mean fight each other to a standstill in the ally then hump like bunnies afterwards?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #253 on: 04 Jun 2010, 15:57 »

WoWers are worse than LotRer. It's ST vs. SW, only with spells instead of phasers.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #254 on: 04 Jun 2010, 16:33 »

I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible: does anyone think the latest t-shirt design is kind of...nonsensical/not funny?

'Baking is Science for Hungry People!'

Again, since I can't convey my tone through text, I'd like to say: I'm not trying to be a dick.   So, I apologize if I come across that way.
But I can't figure out exactly why it's supposed to be funny, and I'm curious as to what other people know that I don't. :\

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #255 on: 04 Jun 2010, 17:03 »

You mean fight each other to a standstill in the ally then hump like bunnies afterwards?

Exactly, fanfic for everyone!  Let the shipping resume!
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #256 on: 04 Jun 2010, 17:27 »

5. A truism of MMO-RPGs: it does not matter if you are level-capped and max-geared, if someone wants to "gank" you that badly it is an eventuality rather than a possibiity.  And this is not limted to PvP either, unfortunately, but that then crosses over into "griefing."  Hope Marigold has some WoW-friends of her own to watch her back.  [EDIT ADD: ooh, just had a thought!  Maybe WoW-Sven will come to her rescue! 8-) ]

Marigold has a whole Guild to watch her back and hella-time playing the game, so she'll be fine.  At this point, I'm actually hoping that Sven will be on Dale's side.   :wink:  During Dale and Marigold's party confrontation, I was hearing the Mortal Combat theme until I noticed the title -- Kill Bill works too.  I really liked Marten's comment: "I think they were flirting.  Or fighting.  Or both."  All while cheerfully munching pizza -- mmmm, pizza . . .  Reminds me of his Mmm soda moment when Faye was telling him and Dora about the tacos-and-bourbon incident.  Marten seems most content when the drama is happening near him but not to him.

So, how long into the YouTube viewing will it be when one of the party guests shows up in a clip?   :-D

There's still no area to do this, even if they were on a PvP server :P

The cities are safe zones, the Tourney (daily quest hub) is a safe zone, the best goldfarming quests are instances, the instances are same faction only, you warp into instances from anywhere, and everyone flies around safe (they can still be killed but not by a rogue).  The only people who can get ganked are the people still leveling... aka Dale.

Not that I'd complain since I hate Marigold and the nerdrage would be amusing.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #257 on: 04 Jun 2010, 18:14 »

5. A truism of MMO-RPGs: it does not matter if you are level-capped and max-geared, if someone wants to "gank" you that badly it is an eventuality rather than a possibiity.  And this is not limted to PvP either, unfortunately, but that then crosses over into "griefing."  Hope Marigold has some WoW-friends of her own to watch her back.  [EDIT ADD: ooh, just had a thought!  Maybe WoW-Sven will come to her rescue! 8-) ]

Marigold has a whole Guild to watch her back and hella-time playing the game, so she'll be fine.  At this point, I'm actually hoping that Sven will be on Dale's side.   :wink:  During Dale and Marigold's party confrontation, I was hearing the Mortal Combat theme until I noticed the title -- Kill Bill works too.  I really liked Marten's comment: "I think they were flirting.  Or fighting.  Or both."  All while cheerfully munching pizza -- mmmm, pizza . . .  Reminds me of his Mmm soda moment when Faye was telling him and Dora about the tacos-and-bourbon incident.  Marten seems most content when the drama is happening near him but not to him.

So, how long into the YouTube viewing will it be when one of the party guests shows up in a clip?   :-D

The cities are safe zones, the Tourney (daily quest hub) is a safe zone, the best goldfarming quests are instances, the instances are same faction only, you warp into instances from anywhere, and everyone flies around safe (they can still be killed but not by a rogue).  The only people who can get ganked are the people still leveling... aka Dale.

Well, I mainly meant that Sven could be helping Dale level up and get outfitted, not that he would doubleteam Marigold (O_o).  I don't play WoW (hate the graphics, hate the grinding, etc.), so I didn't realize that PvP was limited to one-on-one -- no group brawls?  Boo.  I did get the impression that one has to accept a challenge or agree to PvP, so that's no surprise.  As to "ganking" -- I thought that that referred to a high-leveled player killing a lower-leveled one, aka n00b, not to an even-level grudge match.  Is PvP somehow not allowed between players who are both the highest level?  If so, that seems lame.

I don't hate Marigold, but I definitely feel like she needs to feel the consequences of her actions.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #258 on: 04 Jun 2010, 18:24 »

I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible: does anyone think the latest t-shirt design is kind of...nonsensical/not funny?

'Baking is Science for Hungry People!'

Again, since I can't convey my tone through text, I'd like to say: I'm not trying to be a dick.   So, I apologize if I come across that way.
But I can't figure out exactly why it's supposed to be funny, and I'm curious as to what other people know that I don't. :\

No, standing alone it's not really funy.  It's not completely nonsensical, although there's more science in a made-from-scratch cake or muffin than in a pie. 

Even in the comic, it was a little lame as a punchline, and earned it's cachet from being uttered by the (arguably) cutest castmember in a truly kawaii moment. 

But to be honest, I can picture just about every kitchen lady at my church wearing one of these, and loving it - it's simply true, and there's not enough of that these days! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #259 on: 04 Jun 2010, 18:30 »

Ah, well ganking also refers/refered to attacking an afk player or one who is otherwise occupied (questing, farming, etc.) Without warning.

There *is* still the sanctioned group pvp in arenas and battlegrounds, but that doesn't really feel like "coming for her" in the way ambushing her out of the blue does.  I suppose that is my own interpretation though.  Plus these are all mixed server so you're lucky to get matched with a specific target.

This is one of the reasons my interest in wow waned though; at end game (where marigold is) there is litterally nothing you can do to advance your character between raids other than sit in a city and warp to instances for gold.  Even in the previous expantion you could go to the unprotected island quest hub to stir up or smack down trouble with other level capped people.

(On smartphone sorry for spellings)
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2010, 18:38 by TAG »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #260 on: 04 Jun 2010, 18:32 »

I agree with you, Carl-E.  Part of the charm is that it came from Hannelore with a weird selection of descriptive words, sort of like the definition in Comic 864 of "Drumming is counting using your whole body!"
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2010, 18:34 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #261 on: 04 Jun 2010, 19:40 »

I agree with you, Carl-E.  Part of the charm is that it came from Hannelore with a weird selection of descriptive words, sort of like the definition in Comic 864 of "Drumming is counting using your whole body!"

Yeah, I thought it might be the context that made it funny. 
Personally, I'd think cooking is science for anyone. ;)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #262 on: 04 Jun 2010, 21:22 »

Could one of you archive-junkies help a guy out? Is Dale a new character that everyone just knows, or did he show up someplace before "no tips"?

He was the regular that knew about the secret menu at CoD. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1640

Except for maybe a background cameo somewhere I'm pretty sure that was his first appearance.

That was, indeed, his first appearance. I don't have any other noted appearances of a character even remotely similar to him anywhere else in the archives.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #263 on: 04 Jun 2010, 21:24 »

Marigold's distaste for Alliance WoW players (I don't play MMORPGs so I have no idea what that's about), is more down at the level of sports-team chauvinism, with all the "trash talking" that goes with it. Which is pretty silly. Just like arguing on web-comic forums...  :angel:
Thank you.  Someone who has some sense around here.

Honestly, if this exact same scene had been played out with someone yelling between the Yankees and the Nicks (that's a pair of rival teams right?), nobody would have thought twice about it, and certainly nobody would be absurd enough to call it racism.

EDIT:  Probably should have gone with Florida Gators and Georgia Bulldogs, cause I know for certain that's a rival pair.

Yeah, you probably should have, since the Yankees play baseball (rivals would be the Red Sox) and the Knicks play basketball (or so they say; their big rivals would probably be the Celtics).
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #264 on: 04 Jun 2010, 21:26 »

The night elves and the high elves had kind of a proletariat-bourgeoisie relationship that culminated into the big split when demons invaded.
What did I just say about misinformation? High Elves didn't even exist until thousands of years after the invasion.
not true, during the time of the split and the events leading up to it the high elves (or high borne as they where also called)
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/encyclopedia/508.xml
scroll down to "Arcane Magic and its consequences)

The night elves studied the energies of the Well for over a thousand years before Queen Azshara  came to the throne. By that time, one caste of night elf nobility had risen to prominence. Under Azshara's reign, members of that caste began calling themselves the Highborne. The name pleased Azshara, for she too was a member of the highest caste, and she approved the term for official use.

Some of the Highborne regretted their choice to aid the Legion and managed to escape the capital city, Zin-Azshari, before the Well of Eternity imploded and triggered the Great Sundering. Afterwards, arcane magic was outlawed on pain of death, but the Highborne arrogantly continued their dangerous sorcery. Rather than execute their defiant kindred, Tyrande and Malfurion sentenced the Highborne to exile. The exiles journeyed over the sea to Lordaeron, where they founded the kingdom of Quel'Thalas and began calling themselves high elves.

/nerd rant off.

I cant wait to see what happens at the party next.  Especially after the angus marigold talk on the way there, and how faye stacks up.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #265 on: 04 Jun 2010, 21:41 »

/recursivenerdrage

The exiles journeyed over the sea to Lordaeron, where they founded the kingdom of Quel'Thalas and began calling themselves high elves.
CALLING themselves High Elves. They didn't BECOME high elves for thousands of years.
Highborne are NIGHT elves.
Get your facts straight.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #266 on: 04 Jun 2010, 23:16 »

Facts?  What facts? 

Elves, faries, pixies, brownies, gnomes...

whatever.  They're all fantasy, remember?  You never saw us them. 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #267 on: 05 Jun 2010, 06:41 »

Carl, do I have to remind you what Oberon said at the last meeting?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #268 on: 05 Jun 2010, 09:20 »

Sorry, too busy chatting Titania up in the back of the room...

something about... ummm... exposure?  He seemed pissed at the time, I recall. 

But then agan, he always does! 

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #269 on: 05 Jun 2010, 13:10 »

Just because you call them two different species, doesn't make it true.

Night Elves and Blood Elves are the same species.
WROOOONNNNNGGGG!!!!
Honestly, Warcraft lore is enough of a mess without people spreading misinformation.

For the record:  http://www.wow.com/2010/05/04/know-your-lore-elven-evolution/
You're wrong.  In fact, even that article you linked says you're wrong.

The super short version:

At first there were Night Elves.  You had the Highborne caste which practiced arcane magic, and they blew up the Night Elf capital.  The members of the non-magic-using-caste were pissed, and exiled the highborne.  The highborne set up on another continent, and the humans dubbed them High Elves.  The High Elves then blew up their new capital city again (admittedly not their fault this time).  Realizing that they were hopelessly addicted to magic, and would die without a source of magic, most of the remaining High Elves started enslaving demons and draining magic from them, and renamed themselves Blood Elves.  The ones who didn't kept the name High Elf.  Eventually the Blood Elves stopped sucking on demons, but kept the Blood Elf name.

Night Elf Magic-Using-Caste = Highborne
High Elf = Exiled Highborne
Blood Elf = High Elf that dined on demon magic at some point in their past

The exiles journeyed over the sea to Lordaeron, where they founded the kingdom of Quel'Thalas and began calling themselves high elves.
CALLING themselves High Elves. They didn't BECOME high elves for thousands of years.
Highborne are NIGHT elves.
Get your facts straight.
Highborne are High Elves AND Night Elves.  Higheborne and High Elves are the exact same group of people.  Pre-exile and post-exile is the only difference between them (And some skin paling up from too much magic usage).

THE EXACT SAME SPECIES.  Same as you have whites, blacks, hispanics, orientals, and every other goddamn race on Earth all the way down to Eskimos, but they are still all the exact same species of humans.  There are not multiple species of humans on the Earth anymore, no Neanderthals.  Night Elves and Blood Elves, are the same species, but different culture, in different location in the world.

Night Elf = Highborne  = High Elf = Blood Elf
Kaldorei = Quel'dorei = Quel'dorei = Sin'dorei
All the same species, just different cultures.  Same species that keeps changing it's name.

Note the fact that Highborne are well known to be Night Elves (Hell just look up Queen Azshara), and despite the two races speaking different languages, it still EXACT SAME NAME as the High Elves in BOTH LANGUAGES.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2010, 13:32 by Karilyn »

thaX

• Plantmonster
« Reply #270 on: 05 Jun 2010, 13:15 »

I just saw him in an earlier comic, where he was in one panel with his back to the viewer. They didn't talk to him, though, and he was only handed a drink.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #271 on: 05 Jun 2010, 15:31 »

Thanks Karilyn, you beat me too it.  :mrgreen:

Facts?  What facts? 

Elves, faries, pixies, brownies, gnomes...

whatever.  They're all fantasy, remember?  You never saw us them. 

I also second this.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #272 on: 05 Jun 2010, 15:36 »

Amazing isn't it old friend.  They never learn.

Yes

So, lunch with Ulkesh at the usual time?

Yes

Oh, and tell Lorien to take it easy on the . . . . . Hey!  Their listening!!

*Sound of mike being cut*

James The Kugai 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #273 on: 05 Jun 2010, 16:18 »

By the by, Wayland needs his sword back

D.L.

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #274 on: 05 Jun 2010, 18:53 »

So... no one commented on the fact that Pizza Girl and Penelope still haven't been seen at the same place at the same time.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #275 on: 05 Jun 2010, 18:58 »

when is the last time we've even seen pizza girl?

nichidani

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #276 on: 05 Jun 2010, 19:44 »

EDIT:  Probably should have gone with Florida Gators and Georgia Bulldogs, cause I know for certain that's a rival pair.

being a GA fan... i can vouch for that. i have flipped people off because of florida bumper stickers before. i have neglected to hold doors for florida shirt wearers. i'm not sure i would do it out of my home state (ding ding, georgia...) but i am definitely a sports trash talking douchebag here at home
kittens!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #277 on: 05 Jun 2010, 20:39 »

Shit! I'm usually pretty opposed to shipping, but Marigold and Dale's antagonism is so petty that it may quite easily turn into a mutual attraction, and now I find myself kinda shipping Marigold and Dale as a couple.

But I won't mingle their name into a lame-ass shipname. I do have standards, at least in terms of avoiding to post moronic compounds.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #278 on: 05 Jun 2010, 21:11 »

Would you buy a Baking is Science t-shirt?

Yes.    - 12 (28.6%)
Absolutely.    - 7 (16.7%)
Of course.    - 6 (14.3%)
Any time.    - 0 (0%)
Twice on Sunday.    - 5 (11.9%)
Only if it came with Porridge and Pancakes.    - 12 (28.6%)

Total Voters: 42
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #279 on: 05 Jun 2010, 23:53 »

By the by, Wayland needs his sword back

I loaned Albion to some guy from Sherwood
James The Kugai 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #280 on: 06 Jun 2010, 05:11 »

That dude?, come on there's a warrant out for him! 

D.L.

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #281 on: 06 Jun 2010, 12:49 »

when is the last time we've even seen pizza girl?

A quick search on OhNoRobot has it as issue 399 (excluding some guest comics), though that may not be exhaustive. She is mentioned a lot when Penelope starts at Coffee of Doom, though.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=399

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #282 on: 06 Jun 2010, 20:34 »

"Baking is like science for hungry people." is still not funny to me. :(   Just don't get it.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #283 on: 06 Jun 2010, 21:17 »

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. 

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #284 on: 06 Jun 2010, 23:36 »

being a GA fan... i can vouch for that. i have flipped people off because of florida bumper stickers before. i have neglected to hold doors for florida shirt wearers. i'm not sure i would do it out of my home state (ding ding, georgia...) but i am definitely a sports trash talking douchebag here at home

*hates*

Oh, yeah, I'm definitely a Tech fan. ;)

thret

• Plantmonster
« Reply #285 on: 07 Jun 2010, 00:03 »

Obviously she is on a PvP server, only pussies play on any other kind. I assume there is still a decent amount of farming to be done, even if people no longer grind the elemental plataue for motes of fire. This was basically the worst when I used to play, alliance faggots NEVER farm solo and rarely even try to gank you unless it is 3v1. As for getting jumped by a single rogue, that's pretty silly. If she's raiding end-game he's at least 1000 hours of work behind her and he just cannot catch up. Anyway fuck you Jeph, I was wondering the other day why I've been thinking so much about WoW despite not playing it for two years, and now I realise it is your damn fault.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #286 on: 07 Jun 2010, 00:48 »

i am opposed to paying a monthly fee for a videogame.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #287 on: 07 Jun 2010, 00:50 »

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. 

:\ I'm just too darn logical, I guess.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #288 on: 07 Jun 2010, 01:26 »

"Baking is like science for hungry people." is still not funny to me. :(   Just don't get it.

Hannelore said it. Hannelore could read the phone book out loud and it would be funny.

Think about it. She'd read "867-5309" and comment that it has no repeated digits and would stop to check whether it's prime and figure out that it is and wonder who has that number in other area codes and what the probability distribution of prime numbers is among numbers with each prefix and with and without area codes and if you're dialing the number from outside the country how should you account for the + sign and are numbers evenly distributed or does the phone company assign them to minimize the chance of getting a wrong number with certain common errors like transpositions and what if someone gets a phone number that's close to hers and then picks up a stalker so that Hannelore will get wrong numbers from someone crazy and creepy ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #289 on: 07 Jun 2010, 02:23 »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #290 on: 07 Jun 2010, 05:26 »

Funny and t-shirt-able are not the same thing. There isn't much room on a shirt so you can't put the whole joke on it and just sticking a punchline there confuses people. The true art of the t-shirt is the pithy one-liner, funny or otherwise.
Most frequently favoured are cultural references (endless variants on "I see <category> people" for instance) and simple truisms. Like this one.

As for why it works in a comic context; it was accompanied by Hanners being adorable. There isn't much that wouldn't work with Hannelore being cute as an accompaniment.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

sudamerican

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
« Reply #291 on: 07 Jun 2010, 05:50 »

Did anyone call a possible Marigold/Dale hookup? (Hey, he's like, one of the first guys she's talked to and hasn't stuttered her face off. Guess her WoW stuff overrides the social-interaction fear?)
I don't know if someone called it, but it could so definitely happen. I mean come on, it happened in The Guild (they even play the same game. a rose by any other name, and all that), it happened in macross (the blue hair dude and the alien pilot girl), or "i had reach, she had flexibility" if you will.
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #292 on: 07 Jun 2010, 13:30 »

Funny and t-shirt-able are not the same thing. There isn't much room on a shirt so you can't put the whole joke on it and just sticking a punchline there confuses people. The true art of the t-shirt is the pithy one-liner, funny or otherwise.
Most frequently favoured are cultural references (endless variants on "I see <category> people" for instance) and simple truisms. Like this one.

As for why it works in a comic context; it was accompanied by Hanners being adorable. There isn't much that wouldn't work with Hannelore being cute as an accompaniment.

I disagree.  Funny and t-shirt-able can very much be the same thing.   Examples: In soviet Russia, Blocks build you!   Rock Paper Scissors  (of course, I don't expect everyone to think those are funny, but everyone can agree they make *sense*, even in their quirkiness)  And here's a 'one liner':
Apathy

I have a figurative hard-on for tee design. There are many ways to master the front of a shirt, and one of them *is* a pithy one-liner.  This, however, is neither filled with meaning or particularly funny(without Hanner's context). 

And AH! Here's where we arrive at I-shut-my-mouth-and-get-off-my-rickety-soapbox station.  Because mostly only comic-readers are going to buy this shirt anyway, which means all of *them* will understand why it's funny.  : P

And on topic, I'm hoping for some sparks with Dale, though not before Marigold gains some insight/blossoms a bit.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #293 on: 07 Jun 2010, 15:44 »

That dude?, come on there's a warrant out for him!  

Oh cummon, you know damned well he was framed because he kept exposing that idiot de Rainault and his even more moronic sidekick Gisburne for the greedy bastards they are!
James The Kugai 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up