Baking: Science For Hungry People!
- 7 (24.1%)
Alliance Rogue? I Have Some Standards
- 2 (6.9%)
T-Shirts and Aprons - YAY!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT (Weekly Comic Thread) May 31-June 4, 2010 (1676-1680)  (Read 69840 times)

sudamerican

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
Re: WCT (Weekly Comic Thread) May 31-June 4, 2010
« Reply #50 on: 01 Jun 2010, 04:54 »

first man she gives her flower to than to
i can't believe someone would still refer to it as "flower", this made me laugh a little.

As everyone else said, this is seriously NOT good.
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #51 on: 01 Jun 2010, 05:01 »

My best advice to Marigold is to just hang around the apartment completely naked.  He'll succumb eventually!

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #52 on: 01 Jun 2010, 05:06 »

This does not bode well - on the other hand I can get some vicarious amusement at the expense of some cartoon characters, so all's good.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 01 Jun 2010, 05:28 »

Nah, she's definitely bigger than Penelope, and I'd say also Raven. She's just turned 3/4th profile in most of the shots. Also, dresses in general are insanely flattering for most women (except for true empire waists, but modified empire waists are easier to pull off). Most of them have detailing/tailoring that either emphasizes or creates a waist, and they skim over the hips, instantly creating a very flattering silhouette.  I am so pro dresses that I will shill fo rthe vague idea of them on an online forum. :-p

(50s style tailored-top, full skirt dresses are the BEST ones. I defy you to find any woman who won't look pretty and feminine in them. They give any woman the illusion of a wasp waist and hourglass figure.)
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 05:32 by JackFaerie »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #54 on: 01 Jun 2010, 06:28 »

What's scary is, that facepalm maneuver of Angus is almost a mirror image of Marten's.

Wouldn't it be funny if Angus' dad was a politician who utilized the... erm, services... of one Ms. Veronica Vance, which caused him to become an ex-politician?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #55 on: 01 Jun 2010, 07:04 »

Indeed. Marigold shows her desperation and lack of experience if she thinks getting used by someone is going to make her feel better about herself. And not just because she's female, and shy and sensitive, but because she's human (yes, I know exceptions exist. I'm talking in general).

Can you get 'used' if you're aware of it?  ; )  I'd say that if you're getting something out of the deal, you probably cancel each other out.  But yes, definitely showing a little desperation here.  Though I wouldn't expect much else out of a girl gamer nerd with low self esteem. :\

I would've liked Marigold to woman up and ask him why she's SO great.  She hasn't done anything particularly awesome.  I could count on both hands why she's kind of a bother and on one hand why she's awesome.  I know she's a fairly recent character, but c'mon Angus.  Give us a little insight.  Maybe he's just laying it on thick to make her feel better. 

Also: dress = no good     She's so awkward.

sudamerican

• Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
« Reply #56 on: 01 Jun 2010, 07:16 »

Maybe he's just laying it on thick to make her feel better.
I believe this is the case too. Though it would be very interesting to see her ask that, and it could be used to more effectively guilt trip or somehow jedi mind trick angus into getting in a relationship with her. But I dont think something like that would be like Mari, maybe Faye though
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #57 on: 01 Jun 2010, 07:31 »

Sure you can be used and be aware of it. As for canceling out, that depends—oh, god, on too many variables to even try to isolate them. But in this case, JackFaerie is right. Disaster in the making.

And of course he's trying to make her feel better. Takes a real asshole to kick someone when they're down.

MARIGOLD. This is not going to *work*. You cannot GUILT-TRIP people into makeouts.
Says who? Just because it's an insanely bad idea doesn't mean it won't work. Sympathy sex exists. I know if I were Angus, I would have a horrible time saying no. I can probably work out most of the ideas running through his head:

• Marigold looks so miserable.
  • Is it really such a big deal?
  • She's a really nice person—I don't think she deserves what she's getting—or not getting.
  • She looks hot in that dress, too.
  • I just got that long 'test' speech from Faye.
  • Doo doo do doo do doo did-doo! Love the one you're with!
  • But it would be wrong and I'd wind up hurting her, because I really don't feel that way about her.
  • Man, when her bra broke—damn!
  • She's breaking my heart. I could…

"Dammit Marigold!"
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 07:34 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Ghanima Atreides

« Reply #58 on: 01 Jun 2010, 07:59 »

I don't think Marigold has anywhere near the personality and mindset to cancel out being used, even if she is aware of it, she's just desperate enough to think it would be better than the current situation. She's already crushing like mad on Angus just because he "paid attention" to her and was nice. Life would still go on after she got her moment of fun, and she'd have to live with the knowledge that it was a gesture done out of pity at best, and possibly watch the same guy pursue an actual relationship with someone else (which Angus is trying to do with Faye, for example, and I anticipate things going extremely pear-shaped once Marigold realizes it.)
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 08:04 by Ghanima Atreides »
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #59 on: 01 Jun 2010, 08:24 »

MARIGOLD. This is not going to *work*. You cannot GUILT-TRIP people into makeouts.
Says who? Just because it's an insanely bad idea doesn't mean it won't work. Sympathy sex exists. I know if I were Angus, I would have a horrible time saying no. I can probably work out most of the ideas running through his head

I meant from an ethical standpoint, not a "you can't physically do this". Perhaps the word was "shouldn't".

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 01 Jun 2010, 09:17 »

Meh I just hope she hooks up with *somebody* so we can at least move on with it.  Her levels of awkwardness were pushing the bounds of credulity at the best of times, and these last couple days have gone right past that (and firmly moved me from being OK with Marigold to outright dislike).  I'm not even sure she's a good person that deserves any of the sympathy she's getting; all we've really seen her be is whiny, awkward, and selfish, there doesn't seem to be much beyond that.  Even her pity friendship with Hanners is all take and no give.

At least she brings us Momo I guess.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jun 2010, 09:49 »

She deserves sympathy just because she's human.

All but one of the times she's fixed Pintsize, she didn't ask for payment.

We've seen courage as one of her virtues, for example when entering the bar.

Many of us have had some degree of being Marigold in our lives. If we're good persons, she can be too.

All that said, I think you're winning the argument so far.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jun 2010, 10:46 »

Some of us are painfully similar to Marigold. :(
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #63 on: 01 Jun 2010, 10:50 »

You know, it is somewhat unrealistic to suggest that this girl can't get a date when half the fanbase would probably go out with her in a heartbeat.  This girl has other problems besides just being plain, introverted Jane; and a lot of them could be fixed if she'd just put some effort into freshening her personality and her look.  She makes a paultry attempt to dress up whenever she's invited out by Angus, which makes me wonder; could it be that Marigold's just lazy?  It could well be that she didn't just go after Angus because he was nice to her, but because he was just there and available.  She makes no real effort other than when she's prodded to get out of the house, to dress up, to look nice, to shower.  I know how that is, maybe it's not that she's inherently lazy but she simply finds it far easier to let life pass her by than to go out and live it.  Either way, she still ends up placing the blame for the problems that lifestyle creates in the wrong places.  Angus is not totally blameless in that, he's been treating her with kid gloves for as long as they've been together because he thinks she's fragile, and she may well be fragile but people aren't vases, if she breaks he could have just as easily been there to help put her back together.  ( Ick, that metaphor's a bit of a stretch. ) But if she wants a friends, a boyfriend and more people who care about her then she actually needs to get out there and make the effort to make friends, and not just expect it all to fall into her lap.  She's actually been incredibly lucky that she's happened upon the rest of the QC cast, and she needs to take advantage of those new aquaintances.  

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jun 2010, 11:28 »

Eh, I could tolerate laziness (although it took/takes a lot of effort to raid :P) and I can at least understand some levels of awkwardness (Marigold takes this to a caricature-like extreme though), its the selfishness that annoys me, which is why today's strip sorta killed the character for me.

When she first fixes Pintsize, she asks for payment.  Despite the fact that Momo, her only real friend at the time, personally asked her to do it.  This is especially heart wrenching because Momo asked her to fix "her friend", and Marigold was still very cold about it.

The second time (and the only other time I remember) that she fixes Pintsize its a dent.  [Sidenote: Dora should have been able to fix this if not for story reasons.]  She does do this for free, but only after adding a dent of her own immediately after all but accusing Martin of being an AnthroAbuser.

When she comes back from the bar she outright demands Momo's full attention and goes as far as to try to forcibly grab it, to the point where Momo engages her shock defense (so much for Anthro rights).  If there's one thing Marigold should know better than awkwardness, its instances and how with 4-39 other people depending on you, you can't just instantly disengage.  Plus, iirc, Momo was actually playing the game as a favor to Marigold, to free her from that exact responsibility so Marigold could go have social fun.

In her "friendship" with Hanners, Hanners has: watched Marigold raid, gone to a con with Marigold, watched Marigold's anime with Marigold, overcome a personal fear of being touched to console Marigold and literally be there to hold her hair back.  Marigold, as far as I can recall, has done nothing to reciprocate.  Real friendships are two way streets.

In fact, despite hitting basically the social network jackpot, she hasn't done much for anyone but herself.

"No tips for alliance scum."  May or may not be real canon, not really selfish just sort of a jerk.

In her "relationship" with Angus, it was all about Marigold.  She never once considered Angus' feelings.  That may be acceptable as just relationship awkwardness originally, but now he's made it quite clear and has taken great pains to let her down easy, but she is still pursuing.  Contemplating emotional-blackmail as a potentially legitimate tactic is pretty despicable.  One might argue she's already doing this with the short dress and the self-pity fest.

I mean, forget about struggling to be an interesting or believable character.  That is someone I wouldn't want to associate with even if she was well adjusted.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 11:46 by TAG »

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #65 on: 01 Jun 2010, 11:49 »

Eh, I could tolerate laziness (although it took/takes a lot of effort to raid :P) and I can at least understand some levels of awkwardness (Marigold takes this to a caricature-like extreme though), its the selfishness that annoys me, which is why today's strip sorta killed the character for me.

Ha. I live with a girl who could be considered a 'goth Marigold'. She claims that she earns her keep 'doing housework'..   not so you'd notice, actually.  :-P

I mean, forget about struggling to be an interesting or believable character.  That is someone I wouldn't want to associate with even if she was well adjusted.

I'll agree with that.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:15 »

Marigold is an unpleasant character. I understand why some of my friends like her, but she's just not on the list of characters I'd want to hang out with.

I go to cons, right? She reminds me a lot of those ~*~wounded souls~*~ who make a big to-do about how they were teased in middle school and that at conventions, they can finally be who they want to be. And then they complain at the con that no one else is paying them attention because they're not fun people to be around. Nevermind that a vast majority of us other congoers were teased in middle school for being super geeky, too.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 12:18 by laizeohbeets »

semi1o1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #67 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:27 »

Anyone else notice the crisscross detailing between her boobs is gone? I like the dress w.out it but I wonder if that was intentional or not.

I did, but luckily the crisscross on her boobs is back. I think it really makes the dress. Its looks just too plain without it.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #68 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:32 »

Heh, I read today's comic and was like, 'Huh. Marigold is not really a nice person,' and decided to check out the forums to see if such a thought was worth posting or if I would get blasted out by Marigold-lovers. I'm really glad to see that's not the case!

I think overall I've generally been sort of meh about Marigold. She, and her story lines, never struck me as too particularly gripping, but this current one really ticks me off. I agree with both TAG and Tuitsuro - there seems to be a combination of selfishness and laziness to Marigold that really makes me dislike her. That's not to say that one day I might like her, but she needs to have a huge shift in her attitude and realize that to live life, one must actually go out and live it. I understand social-ineptness, but there definitely seems more to it (the selfishness and laziness that have been mentioned).

Quote from: TAG
In fact, despite hitting basically the social network jackpot, she hasn't done much for anyone but herself.

Incidentally, Marigold stated in the comic that what she wanted was for someone to be nice and pay attention to her. She apparently hasn't made the connection that if she wants that, she should also be nice and pay attention. (And that paying attention part also means listening and acting accordingly when someone says they're not interested.) Until Marigold can learn to behave the way she wants someone to behave around her, it's gonna be a while before she gets that.

Quote from: Tuitsuro
Angus is not totally blameless in that, he's been treating her with kid gloves for as long as they've been together because he thinks she's fragile

Both Dora and Faye treat her as fragile too, at least in regards to Sven. It's like they've all decided Marigold simply can't handle things in life, and so they all have to just take care of her (enabling her laziness?) To be fair, she was totally over her head, apparently, with Sven, but if someone swoops in to save her, she'll never learn (and never have to learn) to fend for herself with social relationships.

In her "relationship" with Angus, it was all about Marigold.  She never once considered Angus' feelings.  That may be acceptable as just relationship awkwardness originally, but now he's made it quite clear and has taken great pains to let her down easy, but she is still pursuing.

Couple things here - generally speaking, guys who continue to pursue relationships with girls even after being told the girl was not interested are often treated with disdain. I see no reason why Marigold shouldn't be viewed in the same light. Also, have people here heard of the "Nice Guy" - the one who does all he can to be a friend with a girl and then is upset when the girl won't date him/put out for him? Seems to me that Marigold is treading a line here on being a "Nice Girl", I guess. Without considering how Angus may be feeling about what she's asking him, she keeps pushing it, despite already being told he wasn't into that.

I agree with you, 100%.

« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 12:39 by Moxie »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #69 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:38 »

We can safely draw a distinction between "being teased" and having bloody frog parts stuffed down your shirt.

TAG, Marigold did lend Hanners her anime and did invite her over for a movie, even if it took Momo's translator unit to figure out that it was an invitation. You're still winning the argument.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #70 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:55 »

TAG, Marigold did lend Hanners her anime and did invite her over for a movie, even if it took Momo's translator unit to figure out that it was an invitation.

True, but its still Hanners taking an interest / participating in Marigold things with Marigold, rather than Marigold making a real effort to do something with Hanners that Hanners likes.  It is lucky for Marigold that Hanners at least seems to have a casual interest in those things, but it's still Marigold expecting Hanners to... hrm hard to describe... "come to her" I guess.

On the other hand, in just 2 random insomniac strips, Dora and Hanners look much more like real friends just from doing laundry and baking a cake together.  Hannelore at least seemed to be very pleased with carrot cake, much more so than Dora.

Edit: To be fair, if Marigold was just a bad-to-mediocre friend I could probably tolerate it (for now).  After all, she just came from only having one robot friend.  However, when piled on with the treatment of that friend (Momo) and Angus, she just becomes someone who I wouldn't like.  Since I don't like her, it becomes harder to excuse her whining and constant self-pity, and harder to find excuses for her increasingly more bizarre bouts of awkwardness, which then feeds into my dislike of the character.  The only thing I really like about Marigold is that she serves as a great springboard to show how great Momo, Hanners, and Angus are... and maybe that's her purpose in QC.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 13:34 by TAG »

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #71 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:55 »

What Mari needs is someone to screw her brains out, just so she can get that "So......that's sex. OK, not bad, now let's see what actual people are out there" moment that everyone gets after their first time goes down.
More like 50th time(for me anyway), but I agree she needs to get to that moment. Angus is not being a very good friend for denying her that moment IMO.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Ghanima Atreides

« Reply #72 on: 01 Jun 2010, 13:12 »

Uhhh, he is being a good friend precisely for being honest with her on this one. Besides, it's not Angus' responsability to solve Marigold's issues; it would not only be an insanely bad idea as far as her overcoming her whole "woe is me" phase, but it would most likely result in endless awkwardness and guilt on both sides, costing them their friendship. He's already stated it isn't something he wants, he isn't her sex toy. Plus, Angus can probably forget the thing with Faye if he let himself be guilt-tripped into this by Marigold...which is something I think he knows as well.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 13:23 by Ghanima Atreides »
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #73 on: 01 Jun 2010, 13:24 »

NeverQuiteGoth - are you saying Angus is a bad friend to Marigold because he won't have sex with her? If that is what you are saying, are you being completely serious about that??

If so, I'm totally with Ghanima Atreides: Angus is in no way responsible for solving Marigold's issues - that's Marigold's responsibility.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #74 on: 01 Jun 2010, 13:56 »

Mind you, I don't think Marigold is unsalvagable.  It was the same way with Hannelore, Marigold has a lack of experience with other people so how she comes off is rude and awkward; she may not entirely mean to be.  It's just something she needs to work on.  Hannelore is an excellent example of a person who's worked on how she interacts with people and pushed her own limits in order to do so.  Also, you guys are right in saying that Angus is not responsible for solving Marigold's problems.  But he also shouldn't be an enabler for those problems.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 14:02 by Tuitsuro »

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #75 on: 01 Jun 2010, 14:12 »

Yeah, I'm with you, Marigold has some promise, should she choose to act on it.  :-) Right now, at least, she seems pretty content to not thought.

I do agree with you that Angus is enabling Marigold, but I also think that Dora and Faye are too. And as long as that keeps happening, Marigold will continue to have no desire to become better, because why would she? (Since she's shown no drive to do so by now, as long as she keeps being "taken care of", there's pretty much no motivator for her too. That's why I think it's really good that Angus isn't interested in her - maybe she'll learn the lesson that these things won't always just fall in her lap, and if she wants something, she also needs to be proactive about it.)
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 14:14 by Moxie »

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #76 on: 01 Jun 2010, 14:28 »

What Mari needs is someone to screw her brains out, just so she can get that "So......that's sex. OK, not bad, now let's see what actual people are out there" moment that everyone gets after their first time goes down.
More like 50th time(for me anyway), but I agree she needs to get to that moment. Angus is not being a very good friend for denying her that moment IMO.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's the second stupidest thing I've ever seen on these forums.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #77 on: 01 Jun 2010, 14:46 »

Well, I can agree, to a degree, that there may be some benefit in Marigold getting over the novelty of sex, and I can see that Angus is the most non-threatening male in her life right now, but for most people, there's a strong emotional connection that comes with sex, especially the first time.  Some people deal with it better than others.  Marigold strikes me as the kind of person who would *not* deal with it so well.  For this reason, it could seriously screw up their friendship if Angus does give in to Marigold's desire just for the sake of giving her her first time.

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #78 on: 01 Jun 2010, 14:53 »

You know what? I know he's been warned away for her, but fuck that. Mari needs Sven. Bang her, get it over with, and face the general wrath of Dora/Faye.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #79 on: 01 Jun 2010, 15:09 »

WHAT THE ... ??!?!?

I cant believe there are actually people out there who literally believe in "you just need a good fuck".

Wouldn't it be funny if Angus' dad was a politician who utilized the... erm, services... of one Ms. Veronica Vance, which caused him to become an ex-politician?
Um, I dont think that still can happen in the 21. century.

Not in europe and the USA, at least.

Losing your girlfriend / wife, ok. But not losing your political career. Well ok, at least as long as you're right wing politican. Left wing politicans often have something left thats called a conscience, and that will be a problem in such cases.

I would've liked Marigold to woman up and ask him why she's SO great.  She hasn't done anything particularly awesome.  I could count on both hands why she's kind of a bother and on one hand why she's awesome.  I know she's a fairly recent character, but c'mon Angus.  Give us a little insight.  Maybe he's just laying it on thick to make her feel better.  
Err lol.

She's so great because she's a freaking attractive young female gamer.

Red brilliants are much more valueable than other kinds of diamonds, despite looking like a rubin, because they are so freaking rare.

So are skilled and dedicated gamers who are (a) attractive (b) young and (c) female.

That doesnt mean I'm her fan, though. I'm still with the Hanners crowd.

So was Hitler, though.

And she did receive payment for repairing Pintsize; Hanners cleaned her appartment (and it was a LOT of work, too).

You know, it is somewhat unrealistic to suggest that this girl can't get a date when half the fanbase would probably go out with her in a heartbeat.
Meh. She's not real. Even if that is sometimes hard to remember.

"No tips for alliance scum."  May or may not be real canon, not really selfish just sort of a jerk.
I think the main issue is really that Marigold lacks social experience. As a result, she's often not aware that its even possible to ever think of others. Or in other words, I wouldnt give her up just yet. She might learn from the example of others.

True, but its still Hanners taking an interest / participating in Marigold things with Marigold, rather than Marigold making a real effort to do something with Hanners that Hanners likes.
Hanners likes cleaning, counting things, and now Anime. So what options does Marigold have, actually, to do something with Hanners that Hanners likes ?

Thank you for giving me back a little bit of my belief in mankind.

You know what? I know he's been warned away for her, but fuck that. Mari needs Sven. Bang her, get it over with, and face the general wrath of Dora/Faye.
You already wrote that before and it was already supremely stupid the first time. Posting it again wont change that.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 15:11 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #80 on: 01 Jun 2010, 15:19 »

You could not be more wrong.  But given your past thoughts in the relationship thread, this is not surprising, I guess.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #81 on: 01 Jun 2010, 15:33 »

We've seen courage as one of her virtues, for example when entering the bar.
Courage is not a virtue in itself. It is morally neutral, empowering people to do good or evil.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #82 on: 01 Jun 2010, 15:42 »

Thank you for giving me back a little bit of my belief in mankind.
Thank you for taking away a little more of mine. :-(
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #83 on: 01 Jun 2010, 15:48 »

Sven would never be attracted to Marigold. She's not even a blip on his radar (which may not even be functioning anymore.)

She just doesn't have anything that would pique Sven's interest.

Unless Faye and Dora acted like they would lose their shit if he went out with her, oh, wait.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #84 on: 01 Jun 2010, 16:10 »

So was Hitler, though.

...and with that, this thread has officially been Godwin'd.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #85 on: 01 Jun 2010, 16:16 »

She reminds me a lot of those ~*~wounded souls~*~ who make a big to-do about how they were teased in middle school
What you improperly call "teasing" has a name. It's "harrassment." I lived it in middle school, and I can tell you it still plays a key role in my issues with interacting with people, my low self-confidence and my compulsive self-destructive tendencies.

What do you think it does to someone to go to school every weekday with in mind this only question "what will they do to me today?" What do you think it does to someone to be deprived from social interaction, to be considered an acceptable target by every fucking stupid "disturbed teenager" who needs a victim to get relief their "existential problems" (or whatever they call it), to have no occasion to take a single breath, to be in fear every fucking moment?

YOU FUCKING INSENSITIVE CLOD!
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #86 on: 01 Jun 2010, 16:18 »

I think the main issue is really that Marigold lacks social experience. As a result, she's often not aware that its even possible to ever think of others. Or in other words, I wouldnt give her up just yet. She might learn from the example of others.

So she's a sociopath or severely autistic?  I guess I could see that :P

I mean it's not like she grew up on a space station, but she's sure making the one who did look well grounded.  The level of social interaction needed to successfully claim delivery pizza and make 20 seconds of small talk about your favorite hobby is so incredibly low.

But I generally excuse this scene as a one-off scene for a joke rather than canon.

True, but its still Hanners taking an interest / participating in Marigold things with Marigold, rather than Marigold making a real effort to do something with Hanners that Hanners likes.
Hanners likes cleaning, counting things, and now Anime. So what options does Marigold have, actually, to do something with Hanners that Hanners likes ?

Well let's see, Hanners like making dolls/crafts, music, wine (and other booze), baking, robots, the zoo, etc., but hey I'm not the one trying to be her friend.  Has Marigold even asked?  I don't think we've seen a single non-Marigold centric conversation between them.  Hell, I mean Hanners grew up on a space station, what kind of proper anime geek isn't geeking out over that?

But other than getting dragged to a couple bars and now this party, Marigold hasn't done anything with Hanners that Marigold wouldn't have otherwise been doing anyway.

I'm sure Marigold will have some "redemption" story, but at this point I really don't care if she's redeemed.  I think we've had more genuinely altruistic scenes with Pintsize, and when you're comparing a character's character to Pintsize's, it is never a good sign.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 16:20 by TAG »

westrim

« Reply #87 on: 01 Jun 2010, 16:41 »

*glances around* I can either do my usual thing and make about 20 responses... or I can keep my mouth shut. I think I'll keep my mouth shut. This particular thread of discussion has been Godwined anyway.

...*cough*

So is it just me, or did Angus and Marigold just pass by where Marten's dad proposed to his boyfriend?

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #88 on: 01 Jun 2010, 16:46 »

I would've liked Marigold to woman up and ask him why she's SO great.  She hasn't done anything particularly awesome.  I could count on both hands why she's kind of a bother and on one hand why she's awesome.  I know she's a fairly recent character, but c'mon Angus.  Give us a little insight.  Maybe he's just laying it on thick to make her feel better.  
Err lol.

Red brilliants are much more valueable than other kinds of diamonds, despite looking like a rubin, because they are so freaking rare.

So are skilled and dedicated gamers who are (a) attractive (b) young and (c) female.

That doesnt mean I'm her fan, though. I'm still with the Hanners crowd.

First of all, attractive girl gamers aren't nearly as rare as you think.  ; )

Secondly, diamonds(i.e. rare things) are only 'valuable' because certain people put value on them.  Like you for instance.  You think attractive gamer girls are valuable. The rich guys that come into my coffee shop would rather have a tall, vapid blonde.  So, it's all in the eye of the beholder really.  

The point I was trying to make is WHY is she such a great person to Angus?  His words fall flat if he can't back them up with more than..."Uh...you're a great looking gamer girl!", you know?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #89 on: 01 Jun 2010, 17:40 »

Altruistic Pintsize.

By the time that happened, we'd seen a lot more Pintsize strips than we've seen Marigold strips.

Hey, she provided habitat and food for a rat, doesn't that count for something? :-)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #90 on: 01 Jun 2010, 17:45 »

The question (one I've asked myself many times) is whether SOMETHING, ANYTHING, is better than nothing.  Thirty years of being alone has made me wonder.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #91 on: 01 Jun 2010, 17:51 »

Some of us are painfully similar to Marigold. :(
Very, VERY painfully similar.
Just another Joe like 46

ross_teneyck

• Not quite a lurker
  • This sentence is self-referential.
    • http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~teneyck
« Reply #92 on: 01 Jun 2010, 18:38 »

I'll put myself in the "feeling sympathy for Marigold" crowd; but I have to agree that her lack of social development and cripplingly-low self-esteem are causing her to act like a jackass at this particular moment.

However, what Marigold needs is NOT a let's-find-out-what-all-the-fuss-is-about casual banging.  There may be a place for that, but Marigold-land is not that place.  You need a certain amount of personal strength and centered-ness to engage in intimacy (any type of intimacy, physical or emotional) in a healthy way, and Marigold is not there yet.

The other thing that strikes me about this storyline is that, when Angus was first introduced, I thought he was a skeevy stalker who deserved at minimum a pointed telling-off followed by permanent exile from the coffeeshop.  Since then, he's improved.  A lot.  He's handling this current situation with maturity and sensitivity, and I'm now kind of hoping that he passes the exam.
Are wa yume? Soretomo maboroshi?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #93 on: 01 Jun 2010, 18:42 »

...and I'm now kind of hoping that he passes the exam.

...Or at least makes it to the swimsuit competition.

Wait, what?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

westrim

« Reply #94 on: 01 Jun 2010, 18:43 »

...and I'm now kind of hoping that he passes the exam.

...Or at least makes it to the swimsuit competition.

Wait, what?

The Faye Final.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #95 on: 01 Jun 2010, 19:52 »

She reminds me a lot of those ~*~wounded souls~*~ who make a big to-do about how they were teased in middle school
What you improperly call "teasing" has a name. It's "harrassment."

I do not mean in any way to lessen your experiences in middle school with my statement - I definitely agree that pre-teens and teens often go much to far, and that teasing quickly turns into harassment. However, the line between teasing and harassment differs for people (unless the harassment is pretty blatant). The way I read laizeohbeets's statement concerning the "wounded souls" was that these particular people did not go through anything that most people would view as much beyond teasing. Such 'souls' are typically people who are not necessarily nice, or are whiney, unpleasant people to begin with - even people who don't tease may lose their patience with such 'souls'. And these 'souls' like to blow things out of proportion, hopefully to get sympathy. It's something akin to the bored-white-suburbs-kid who likes to play emo. Anyway, that's how I read the comment, not as an attack on those genuinely teased-leading-to-harassment.

Now that I've typed that all out, I really do begin to wonder about Marigold's experiences. So whee, archive binge to find out. We learn she was at a pool party in eighth grade. This tells us that either someone invited her with the intent of either niceness or meanness. She was hit in the face with a pool noodle, but that may or may not have been on purpose, we don't know for sure. Angus tells us about college where people speculated, but no one particularly interacted with her. Then again, Angus tells Faye that people made fun of her through school, but he has to be referring to college, since that's apparently it. However, it's unclear if "making fun of her" means to her face or behind her back (in other words, how aware was Marigold of the behavior - was she so into the anime/gaming stuff that she just ignored it or did she get into anime/gaming as a way to ignore it?) Finally, the frog gets referred too - it was a dissected frog, so that means it wasn't bloody at least. It's unclear if this happened in high school or college, and it is referred to as being mean, but hey, Marten once let a girl know he liked her by putting a frog down her shirt (ok, he was in 3rd grade.)
So, I'm not sure. What we don't know yet is Marigold's past behavior. Was her initial problem simply shyness, and teased for that, but then it turned cruel after the pool party incident, culminating in the dissected frog incident, which is why she buried herself in anime/gaming? Has she always been into anime/gaming and teased because of it (and then the teasing turned into harassment). I could see Marigold's impression of the pool incident being skewed (could have easily been an accident) but the frog thing seems pretty obvious. We do know that at least by college Marigold is a shut-in. I'm not sure if she's always been a shut-in (shy in general) or if she gradually grew to that state. I do believe that her social-ineptness draws from shutting herself in, not just from being shy. Then again, she's shown herself to be fine around one or two people - it seems to be the "going out into the real world" thing that stresses her the most.
Sorry, rambling.

My archive binge also brought about this:
Incidentally, as far as Angus being a good friend to Marigold and trying to get her to overcome her social-ineptness, he apparently has tried to invite her out before - she always turns him down. As far as I can tell, Angus has done what should be expected of him. Marigold has to make the decision herself. Of course she won't (until Momo pushes her) because she "doesn't know how to talk to people". Right after she holds a conversation with Marten. Of course, once out, she does manage to wear the most revealing outfit of the bunch, despite calling herself a "fat ol' nerd". So it does seem to be that she's fine around one or two people, around her place, but going out is terrifying. Hm. (Although, according to her she is trying to be less of a shut in, but I think that was an Angus specific thing.)[/url]

As far as her own behavior towards others goes, she's already missed one epiphany. She seems to have a skewed sense of what will make her liked by others. She will stoop to anything to be liked, even by the online nerd boys, but leaves and sits by herself from conversations that uninterest her, rather than trying to keep up, or ask questions, or bring up a new topic. It's the whole 'to have a friend, you must also be a friend' thing - Marigold seems to try in the smallest way possible, and it sort of feels like Angus, and Dora, and even Faye a little, run with that. Granted, they're being friendly, but I wonder if they will ever tire of doing the bulk of friendly stuff and cooing over Marigold's awkwardness, or if it'll eventually get tiresome to them and they'll gradually want to hang out with her less.

Finally:
Quote from: sunbnose
As has been said, attractive young female gamers are actually not quite that rare. Also, if her only qualities are her looks, age, gender and one specific thing she's into, that's not a lot to go off of on "greatness". Two of those she'll lose, one is just her, and gaming is just something she does. She really hasn't done much since we've seen her, other than act a lot awkward, a little rude, a bit demanding, and slightly klutzy. She apparently has some odor to her (though she seems to be learning that people appreciate showers), she's chubby at the nicest (and fat according to herself), and can't hold a conversation half the time she's around someone. Her skin's bad (though she's making the effort!), she's terribly messy (though again, seems to be making the effort), and she's prone to killing conversation. Most of the characters, when with her, talk for her, or assume she can't handle whatever. She doesn't really seem to listen when told someone's just not that into her. There is a lot about her that a lot of people would find pretty annoying, not particularly great. I think the social circle she's been lucky enough to have been dropped in on has been pretty awesome and understanding to her so far (and enabling too, but eh), but I wonder how long her welcome will last as long as she continues to behave as she does. I'm waiting to see if she grows like Hanners (and Faye too), or if she continues to sit stagnant, perfectly willing to be 'taken care of', rather than stepping out and initiating things on her own.
Sorry, that was a long ramble, but yeah, if personality has nothing to do with being great, I think a vital component of the equation is missing.
I too would like to know if Angus finds anything particularly awesome about her, or if he was simply saying that to make her feel better. If he were put on the spot, what would he say?
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 20:04 by Moxie »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #96 on: 01 Jun 2010, 19:55 »

I assume the quote from the "Duly Noted" strip in the "Welcome to the QC Discussion Forum" thread is the most stupid?
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #97 on: 01 Jun 2010, 19:59 »

Um, I dont think that still can happen in the 21. century.

Not in europe and the USA, at least.

Losing your girlfriend / wife, ok. But not losing your political career. Well ok, at least as long as you're right wing politician. Left wing politicians often have something left that's called a conscience, and that will be a problem in such cases.
(Cough) GARYHART (Cough) BILLCLINTON (Coughcoughcough) JOHNEDWARDS (COUGH)

Just another Joe like 46

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #98 on: 01 Jun 2010, 20:12 »

The other thing that strikes me about this storyline is that, when Angus was first introduced, I thought he was a skeevy stalker who deserved at minimum a pointed telling-off followed by permanent exile from the coffeeshop.  Since then, he's improved.  A lot.  He's handling this current situation with maturity and sensitivity, and I'm now kind of hoping that he passes the exam.

Was he a stalkerish?  Other than once running into Faye at a bar (probably coincidence, I mean Faye and Sven bumped into each other in more than one bar), the only time he encountered Faye was in the coffee shop.  And for the most part he would just have some fun verbal sparring and leave.  Basically paying for the atmosphere that made CoD famous.  I feel like we the readers, just like Faye, gradually got to actually see more and more of him, such that rather than Angus really improving, we saw more of the real non-debating Angus (i.e. the reader catches up to Angus rather than Angus progressing).

Really I think Angus is one of the better characters in the strip <.<  He, Hanners, and (although I don't like him much) Sven are by far the most interesting characters at the moment.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #99 on: 01 Jun 2010, 20:16 »

What you improperly call "teasing" has a name. It's "harrassment."

I do not mean in any way to lessen your experiences in middle school with my statement - I definitely agree that pre-teens and teens often go much to far, and that teasing quickly turns into harassment. However, the line between teasing and harassment differs for people (unless the harassment is pretty blatant). The way I read laizeohbeets's statement concerning the "wounded souls" was that these particular people did not go through anything that most people would view as much beyond teasing. Such 'souls' are typically people who are not necessarily nice, or are whiney, unpleasant people to begin with - even people who don't tease may lose their patience with such 'souls'. And these 'souls' like to blow things out of proportion, hopefully to get sympathy. It's something akin to the bored-white-suburbs-kid who likes to play emo. Anyway, that's how I read the comment, not as an attack on those genuinely teased-leading-to-harassment.

This, exactly. I had some un-fun experiences in middle school, so I'm not about to trivialize actual, horrible experiences, but I've known people who didn't have it any worse than I did and still behaved that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up