Marigold's Amazing Rack
- 12 (30.8%)
Faye and Angus in "Time Out"
- 7 (17.9%)
I... I am OK!
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: 7-11 June 2010 (1681-1685)  (Read 102086 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCT: 7-11 June 2010 (1681-1685)
« on: 06 Jun 2010, 21:36 »

Have at it. And yes, you're allowed to change your vote.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2010, 17:55 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TAG

• Plantmonster
Re: WCT: 7-11 June 2010
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jun 2010, 22:01 »

When has Marigold not done something incredibly embarrassing or stupid? :P

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jun 2010, 22:44 »

Other: Absolutely all of them.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2010, 22:47 »

Marigold's the safe bet.  I'm going with Tai.  (Which, is also probably a safe bet...)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2010, 00:56 »

I picked Marigold but she's had her turn. On past form Tai is the most likely to do something that would embarrass a normal person, and Marten is the most likely to do something that would embarrass himself.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jun 2010, 00:59 »

Of course, from the Twitter feed, the real answer is the excluded Cosette.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jun 2010, 01:55 »

Would actually be nice to hear something of Cosette again.
Carpe Diem

westrim

« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2010, 01:59 »

Have at it. And yes, you're allowed to change your vote.

How? I voted Cosette and I'm sticking with it so I guess it doesn't matter- but how?

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2010, 02:45 »

Someone added "Cosette" as an afterthrought.

Sadly, if you do that, the forum forgets it should allow people to re-vote.
Carpe Diem

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:01 »

Well, looks like Marigold has just had a BSOD.
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:10 »

So *that's* what's been happening to all the polls i've set up with vote changing enabled.

Frustrating since the whole reason I wanted people to be able to change votes was in case they liked new options I added later.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:12 »

Wow. Complex panel layouts indeed, three and four look like they were really hard!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:19 »

Hah, Jeph ninja'd today's poll.

Shit, say hello to Fan.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

AngryCallCenterAgent

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:21 »

Like, totally.
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:25 »

Two thoughts:

1. Oh. Well.  Guess what I originally thought would happen happened after all, even if it WAS a party with room for privacy, and not just several of them on the couch.

2. Dammit, Faye's propensity for physical violence is NOT cute, and NOT ok, and should not be bemusedly tolerated or enabled by her friends. The fact that she thinks she's completely allowed to hit--and not just playfully--people (men) at her whim and pleasure is morally disgusting,and I'm getting to be only a little LESS disgusted at the fact that Dora, Marten, et al, continue to let it happen without comment.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:30 »

There's always that question about whether it's playful cartoon violence. I think you're right that it's not -- a playful punch doesn't require an ice pack.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #16 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:31 »

Oh, heck... I'll just zero the dang thing out.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:42 »

Hmm. I wonder how Marigold will react to this. She could think Faye is flirting with Angus specifically to hurt her. She hasn't had the greatest impression of Faye so far, knows that Faye knows she likes Angus, and was not aware of the Faye-Angus prior to this. She also seems to expect people to be mean to her - I know what that's like, because it's how I thought before I got friends. Or she could try to figure out why Faye is better/more desirable than her, and maybe even try to copy Faye's behavior to win Angus over (which would be amusing - awkward and failed attempts at snark, hooray! Though not so much the random violence and bitchy attitude, if she copied that too). Oooor she just shuts off and retreats into her computer and manga again, reverting back to the unwashed and unapproachable Marigold we met in the beginning. Or she's just sad for a while and lets Hanners comfort her. Or something. I think Dale, Sven or both should fit into this somehow.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:43 »

There's always that question about whether it's playful cartoon violence. I think you're right that it's not -- a playful punch doesn't require an ice pack.

Yeah, it was the ice pack that got me. I wouldn't mind if it was playful punches, but it's really not presented that way. Angus is rubbing his arm and asking about the ice pack of a room of people not involved in whatever discussion he and Faye were having, so if it were "playful" it's not like they can be expected to be part of the joke. And Marten has several times mentioned (and one time showed, I think) the bruising that resulted from Faye punching him. By the time it gets to bruising, it is not okay, even if it WERE meant "playfully."

WestEnder67

« Reply #19 on: 07 Jun 2010, 03:49 »

At least Jeph didn't dance around it like a sitcom writer leading to possibly unfunny hi-jinks.

He just full on through the shit into the fan. And sets the week up nicely.

I'm personally looking forward to the Highlander-esque battle between Faye and Marigold.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jun 2010, 04:06 »

Like I said, safe bet.  Now, who wants to bet Mari goes berserker and rips some faces off?
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2010, 04:42 by Tuitsuro »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jun 2010, 04:43 »

I'm personally looking forward to the Highlander-esque battle between Faye and Marigold.

will there be chainmail bikinis?

Fetish art in 3, 2, 1...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jun 2010, 04:46 »

I voted Faye since Marigold already had enough embarrassing/stupid moments. Faye could of course say something stupid to Angus or Marigold, unless Tai would try to comfort Marigold in the next comics while trying to hit on her.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jun 2010, 05:14 »

Ow, Tai, what hast thou done!

Well, Tai didn't know, did she? Can't really be blamed to blurt out something no one told her to keep a secret.

Well shit, while I thought, and still think, that it's better in the long run that she wasn't left in the dark for too long, the only worse way to learn the truth that I can imagine would be randomly finding them making out or banging. I feel for her.

Also:
Angus: Hey Marten, is it cool if I borrow the ice pack in your freezer?
Marten: Well, yeah, by definintion an ice pack is cool.
Angus: No, I mean...
Hannelore: I think technically an ice pack should be qualified as 'cold' rather than 'cool.'
Marten: Oh, yes, you're right, Hanners. My bad.
Angus: ...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #24 on: 07 Jun 2010, 05:41 »

And Marten has several times mentioned (and one time showed, I think) the bruising that resulted from Faye punching him. By the time it gets to bruising, it is not okay, even if it WERE meant "playfully."

I think if you accidentally cause bruising once because you miscalculate and the person bruises easily, that can be forgiven. I have to admit, I can be a playful puncher and joke about violence a bit but this is pretty extreme. The others are just enabling her bad behaviour. Whatever happened to properly cutting back on the drinking and trying to have a sensible adult relationship? I mean, here are just a couple of examples of other people Faye has purposely hurt besides Marten.

sudamerican

• Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2010, 06:04 »

Well, pintsize pretty much brought it on himself there...
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #26 on: 07 Jun 2010, 07:58 »

I agree with those who wrote that Faye's behaviour is just wrong. I thought she was getting better.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jun 2010, 08:17 »

...ketamine?!
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #28 on: 07 Jun 2010, 08:41 »

Is it wrong that I only know about Ketamine from the movie Armageddon?

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #29 on: 07 Jun 2010, 08:58 »

Faye's violent tendencies are supposed to be funny, remember? Part of her "issues"? Though that joke may be getting old after all this time....
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #30 on: 07 Jun 2010, 09:57 »

Earth to Marigold. Come in Marigold. Do you read us?

Apparently, according to Twitter, she's too busy on planet WoW berating DPSes to respond.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #31 on: 07 Jun 2010, 10:05 »

Faye's behavior is only wrong if it actually bothers/offends the people she hangs out with and does it around.

Hell when i was in my teens and early 20's I totally knew people who would just hit each other on the shoulder or something for whatever applicable reason, no one cared, it didn't make the behavior wrong.  Hell, i've offered my shoulder to people before when they say they just want to punch something really hard.  I say go ahead.  It's not gonna do any damage, and its not gonna wound my ego or hurt my feelings.  In some groups its considered acceptable to say horrible cruel offensive things to your friends and no one gets mad, because that's just the way they do things.

If the people in QC universe actually cared that Faye was punching people, then they would stand up to Faye and say hey, stop hitting people or we aren't going to be friends anymore.  If no one in the qc universe actually seems to care or think its a problem, then I see no reason why I should care about behavior deemed acceptable in a social circle.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #32 on: 07 Jun 2010, 10:13 »

Quote from: JackFaerie
Dammit, Faye's propensity for physical violence is NOT cute, and NOT ok, and should not be bemusedly tolerated or enabled by her friends. The fact that she thinks she's completely allowed to hit--and not just playfully--people (men) at her whim and pleasure is morally disgusting,and I'm getting to be only a little LESS disgusted at the fact that Dora, Marten, et al, continue to let it happen without comment.

I'm definitely in agreement with you on this. There are many times that Pintsize deserves to be hit, can't deny that, but quite often, whatever something Marten said certainly didn't deserve much beyond playful punchings, much less something that really hurt, or bruised him. Faye shouldn't be punching people hard enough they need an ice pack - that sort of violence would definitely qualify for domestic violence, if they were in a relationship, wouldn't it? I get that it kind of is a way Faye shows affection, or deals with feelings she's frightened of, but that doesn't make it right at all, and I too don't know why it's not brought up with Dora/Marten or even in her therapy sessions.

Quote from: Heranje
Hmm. I wonder how Marigold will react to this. She could think Faye is flirting with Angus specifically to hurt her. She hasn't had the greatest impression of Faye so far, knows that Faye knows she likes Angus, and was not aware of the Faye-Angus prior to this. She also seems to expect people to be mean to her - I know what that's like, because it's how I thought before I got friends.

My initial read through had me picturing Marigold as somewhat deflated - even though Angus has told her he's not interested, Marigold's behavior has indicated she's still kinda chasing him. Now she realized she's got competition for him, and I suspect she'll be extremely passive-aggressive towards him, and kind of bitchy towards Faye. She might withdrawl a bit, but she's also drinking (though apparently isn't drunk), so you never know what she might decide to do. I could see her thinking Faye is doing this specifically to be mean, but I could also see Marigold finally connecting the dots to Angus's clues (getting coffee served by a hot girl, or else just always going to the coffee shop in general). So she may just be thinking about how dumb she feels because she threw herself at Angus and he was already into Faye.

I'm sort of expecting waterworks and running from the room.

smilesvssmirks

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #33 on: 07 Jun 2010, 10:20 »

I voted other.

Because I think Angus is going to attempt to make the best of this moment without either girl getting pissed or scampering off into their hibernation caves of shame, only to end up putting his foot in his mouth.

I really hope Marigold doesn't get angry. I think scampering off and crying would be more likely and in character. But still. In a perfect world she would just accept the fact and go back to laughing at youtube videos. Angus has been courtin' Faye for months. Something Marigold would know if she actually had a friendship with her roommate and not just lived in her room all day. Angus and Faye having some sort of attraction to each other is not new. Unlike Marigolds spontaneous decision to be in love with Angus just because - holy shit, male attention! She has no real right or claim to get mad here, IMO. And if she gets whimpery and Hanners goes off to coddle and comfort her? Well my thoughts on that?

*vomit*
Quit feeling sorry for yourself, you pathetic lout. She brings her boy/friend problems upon herself. She never leaves her room, never showers, thus has no real social skills, etc. Sorry, if I sound like a bitch. But I just don't feel that compassionate for the annoying presence that is Marigold.

MegaLexi

• Plantmonster
  • So happy I'm bloody vibrating.
« Reply #34 on: 07 Jun 2010, 10:26 »

I'm definitely in agreement with you on this. There are many times that Pintsize deserves to be hit, can't deny that, but quite often, whatever something Marten said certainly didn't deserve much beyond playful punchings, much less something that really hurt, or bruised him. Faye shouldn't be punching people hard enough they need an ice pack - that sort of violence would definitely qualify for domestic violence, if they were in a relationship, wouldn't it? I get that it kind of is a way Faye shows affection, or deals with feelings she's frightened of, but that doesn't make it right at all, and I too don't know why it's not brought up with Dora/Marten or even in her therapy sessions.

Ditto. I'm honestly surprised she hasn't been hit back by somebody yet. I'm not entirely sure that I wouldn't, given the situation. Unexpected punchings have lead to me nearly tearing people's piercings out in the past.

Edit: Which probably makes me as bad as Faye oh joy
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2010, 10:41 by MegaLexi »

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #35 on: 07 Jun 2010, 10:36 »

Well, at least she didn't punch him in the nuts.  Faye is definitely still way insecure and defaults to punchings when threatened/attracted (same thing for her, sorta).  I doubt that tendency is ever gonna go away completely, but may lessen as she grows up a bit more and deals with her issues.  I'm not justifying her behavior, but I'm not surprised by it.  And Angus is the guy she threw across a room once, so a few punchings aren't likely to faze him too much.

Regarding Marigold, as Pintsize said in response to Marten saying he would ear-fuck Dora: "Fucking finally!"  I'm glad Jeph didn't drag out the reveal.  Tai was the perfect person to say it, too -- as far as we know, she had no idea she had to keep it a secret, and though she's much more self-confident than Marigold, she's easily just as self-centered (if for different reasons).  When I voted Tai in the poll before the strip was up, I had something like this in mind.  I look forward to seeing how the rest of this plays out.

LOL at them watching the turtle-bones-croc vid (Hanners' comment on that makes me think of Marigold, actually).  Pity Marten's drunk-bubbles have popped -- he's gonna have to work to get those back.

I was sure we'd be seeing Steve and Cosette there too, but either they aren't there or Jeph hasn't gotten around to fitting them into a strip yet.  Or maybe they're going to arrive fashionably late.  And I still wonder if Pintsize is duct-taped in a closet somewhere.

Edited because I hate typos.  -_-
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2010, 10:41 by Heliphyneau »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #36 on: 07 Jun 2010, 10:42 »

Ahhh, I feel nostalgic.  It's been so long since there was a Punching.

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #37 on: 07 Jun 2010, 11:09 »

Faye's behavior is only wrong if it actually bothers/offends the people she hangs out with and does it around.

Hell when i was in my teens and early 20's I totally knew people who would just hit each other on the shoulder or something for whatever applicable reason, no one cared, it didn't make the behavior wrong.  Hell, i've offered my shoulder to people before when they say they just want to punch something really hard.  I say go ahead.  It's not gonna do any damage, and its not gonna wound my ego or hurt my feelings.  In some groups its considered acceptable to say horrible cruel offensive things to your friends and no one gets mad, because that's just the way they do things.

If the people in QC universe actually cared that Faye was punching people, then they would stand up to Faye and say hey, stop hitting people or we aren't going to be friends anymore.  If no one in the qc universe actually seems to care or think its a problem, then I see no reason why I should care about behavior deemed acceptable in a social circle.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but requiring an ice pack means it is doing damage.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #38 on: 07 Jun 2010, 11:16 »

Hmm. I wonder how Marigold will react to this. [...] Or she could try to figure out why Faye is better/more desirable than her, and maybe even try to copy Faye's behavior to win Angus over (which would be amusing - awkward and failed attempts at snark, hooray! Though not so much the random violence and bitchy attitude, if she copied that too).
This could be interesting and even goofy idea.

I could just imagine Marigold snapping, and trying to be exactly like Faye in every way.  Dressing like her, walking like her, talking like her, acting like her.  Dies her hair to look like Faye, and taking her name too.

Cue plot-arc where she locks up Faye in an abandon warehouse, and tries to replace Faye in everyone's day to day life.  Nobody buys it, but because she doesn't hit as hard as Faye, they just decide to go along with it for the sake of bodily preservation.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #39 on: 07 Jun 2010, 11:19 »

Faye's behavior is only wrong if it actually bothers/offends the people she hangs out with and does it around...If the people in QC universe actually cared that Faye was punching people, then they would stand up to Faye and say hey, stop hitting people or we aren't going to be friends anymore.  If no one in the qc universe actually seems to care or think its a problem, then I see no reason why I should care about behavior deemed acceptable in a social circle.
I definitely see where you're coming from, but requiring an ice pack means it is doing damage.

Perhaps they don't speak up because they're afraid of her?

Has anyone really stood up to Faye before and said, "Stop it, your behavior is entirely unacceptable." Dora's probably gotten the closest.

MegaLexi

• Plantmonster
  • So happy I'm bloody vibrating.
« Reply #40 on: 07 Jun 2010, 11:50 »

Has anyone really stood up to Faye before and said, "Stop it, your behavior is entirely unacceptable." Dora's probably gotten the closest.

Once or twice that I can remember. I remember Raven semi-accidentally doing it over her being a gigantic bitch to people, and she damn near had a breakdown over it.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #41 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:16 »

Perhaps they don't speak up because they're afraid of her?

Dora was mighty afraid of Faye here: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=511

And it's not as if she's the type who would threaten a total stranger with a broadsword or anything: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1323

Penelope was obviously petrified in terror during this whole ordeal: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1052

Faye's the extreme, but QC women apparently run pretty violent.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #42 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:23 »

Once or twice that I can remember. I remember Raven semi-accidentally doing it over her being a gigantic bitch to people, and she damn near had a breakdown over it.
I don't know if it's what you had in mind, and I can't find the comic, but I remember Raven saying something along the line of "Aw! Poor Faye! Having to face the consequences of your actions..." with a perfectly innocent face.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #43 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:23 »

Faye's not the extreme. Remember Vespavenger.

Isn't it odd that the only times Dora has corrected Faye were when Faye was being verbally abusive?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #44 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:26 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #45 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:31 »

Martin had easy outs to move in with Dora if he wanted to escape or to not seeking out an apartment with Faye when they moved.  Angus was being tossed about well before he and Faye were even a possible thing, including having warm water dumped on him via coffee pot, being thrown across a bar, and being SCOOOOOOOOOOORNed clear out of CoD :P  So I think either of them being terrified domestic abuse victims is somewhat unlikely.

Personally I'm with Jander on this.  Play hitting isn't uncommon even if the strength is occasionally overestimated; honestly I took today's strip as Angus playing up being hit.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2010, 12:35 by TAG »

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #46 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:47 »

I could just imagine Marigold snapping, and trying to be exactly like Faye in every way. 

I'm expecting something more along the lines of a cat fight, myself.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #47 on: 07 Jun 2010, 13:12 »

Ehhh just means the person is a little sensitive to pain, and sure maybe it will leave a bruise, but it's not like she's "injured" anyone.  I wonder what Angus did that supposedly warranted it, but obviously he doesn't really seem to care.  If someone punched me and I had a problem with it I wouldn't go into the living room to ask about an ice pack.

In other news...
Raven's talk to Faye isn't even scolding, it's sarcasm/comedy.  It's not an actual friend saying, your behavior needs to stop or we're through.  It's a coworker teasing her general sour attitude.  And I agree with other people in that the QC world isnt exactly a pacifist world and a little bit of punching doesn't seem so bad compared to other issues.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #48 on: 07 Jun 2010, 13:27 »

She's thrown hot coffee on him.  It's pretty obvious that Angus likes the pain, if you get my drift.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #49 on: 07 Jun 2010, 13:37 »

People should start punching Faye back, methinks...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up