Marigold's Amazing Rack
- 12 (30.8%)
Faye and Angus in "Time Out"
- 7 (17.9%)
I... I am OK!
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: 7-11 June 2010 (1681-1685)  (Read 101782 times)

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCT: 7-11 June 2010
« Reply #100 on: 08 Jun 2010, 10:24 »

a comic that is mostly realistic

wut

You know. As opposed to this:

One in which inoffensive Marten beat a kung-fu monk senseless with a frying-pan, and Steve blew up a volcano.

Ferahgo the Assassin

• Plantmonster
    • http://ferahgo-the-assassin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #101 on: 08 Jun 2010, 10:29 »

Seriously. I do not find it funny. At all. I find it very unpleasant and uncomfortable, and it makes me dislike the characters.  Maybe others don't feel the same way, but I do.

Jesus, you guys are a bunch of whiny pussies. It's a cartoon.

TheHappyBerry

• Plantmonster
« Reply #102 on: 08 Jun 2010, 10:57 »

Because he made the first somewhat thoughtless remark about Angus and Faye that Tai explained to Marigold. And it's a thing my wife calls me out on as well...

I think his first response was appropriate, until he freaked out about it when questioned on it.  "Meh, you know how it is with Faye" to those that know her means fighting and flirting often go hand in hand.  However, to somebody that doesn't really know her, like Marigold, it could have meant that Faye just likes hitting people.  Sadly, instead of being quick on his feet to say something like that, he started sputtering.  I still think it could have been saved if Tai hadn't spoken up.  Either way, I still don't think Marten deserved Dora criticizing him like that, both when calling him an idiot and telling him not to say anything else stupid for the rest of the night.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #103 on: 08 Jun 2010, 12:17 »

Quote from: many people
It's a cartoon

It's a comedy and drama, populated with characters who have clear and realistic personalities, which is represented as a cartoon. Discussion of the behavior of fictional characters is something you can get a degree in: dismissing doing so because "it's just a cartoon" is a prejudiced refusal to acknowledge that a comic strip is a valid storytelling medium.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #104 on: 08 Jun 2010, 12:41 »

"it's just a work of fiction told via a visual medium in order to entertain and amuse" does not have the same ring to it though. either way it's a valid point, people are getting surprisingly emotional over the antics of nonexistent people.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #105 on: 08 Jun 2010, 13:21 »

And getting emotional over such nonexistent people is, I think, an excellent sign of Jeph's storytelling skills. To become emotionally invested in the characters shows that Jeph has brought them to life, in a way.

Ferahgo the Assassin

• Plantmonster
    • http://ferahgo-the-assassin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #106 on: 08 Jun 2010, 14:30 »

It's a comedy and drama, populated with characters who have clear and realistic personalities, which is represented as a cartoon. Discussion of the behavior of fictional characters is something you can get a degree in: dismissing doing so because "it's just a cartoon" is a prejudiced refusal to acknowledge that a comic strip is a valid storytelling medium.

Yeah, but getting this worked up - and many cases, downright offended - over something so ridiculous in a cartoon strikes me as massively pathetic. It's not like Jeph was making some kind of complex, heady philosophical or political point and that's what people are getting worked up about. No, the whining is due to one character lightly punching another in the arm.

Perspective, ya'll.

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #107 on: 08 Jun 2010, 14:35 »

It's a comedy and drama, populated with characters who have clear and realistic personalities, which is represented as a cartoon.

QED

• Not quite a lurker
  • Quod Erat Demonstrandum / Quantum ElectroDynamics
« Reply #108 on: 08 Jun 2010, 15:16 »

Question: Most Likely to Do Something Incredibly Embarassing/Stupid This Week

Likely person: Tai.
Something stupid: Introduce Marigold to Jimbo.

Especially now, when it seems unlikely to have Angus around to remind Marigold that she can do better.

Sebastian

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #109 on: 08 Jun 2010, 15:42 »

Incidentally, I think Angus maybe got too physically close to Faye, since she reacts most often with violence when that happens.

Now, I could be wrong but I seem to note that Faye is only physically violent with the boys, I don't remember her ever punching one of the other girls, and only the boys she kinda "like" (marten , Angus, maybe Sven) did we even seen her "hit" Steve?

It is possible that the punching is some kind of sublimation, it is the only way she can let her go near to the boys she is attracted to, as it is possible that I looking waaaay too much into this. :)

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #110 on: 08 Jun 2010, 15:47 »

Especially now, when it seems unlikely to have Angus around to remind Marigold that she can do better.
All I can think is that that would result in Jimbo writing yaoi. And that would be awesomely terrible.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #111 on: 08 Jun 2010, 16:44 »

And getting emotional over such nonexistent people is, I think, an excellent sign of Jeph's storytelling skills. To become emotionally invested in the characters shows that Jeph has brought them to life, in a way.
That's what I was trying to say, only you put it better.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #112 on: 08 Jun 2010, 18:31 »

All I can think is that that would result in Jimbo writing yaoi. And that would be awesomely terrible.

...I think I kind of want to see Jimbo write yaoi. Because that's hilarious.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #113 on: 08 Jun 2010, 18:34 »

Do we want to talk about reality?  So hey, BP's gulf oil spill is likely killing hundreds of different species and the region will never recover.  Meanwhile, the middle east is on day 52,427 of 'oh god oh god everythings going to shit', McDonalds is recalling novelty Shrek glasses because they're apparently tainted with deadly cadmium, and the world economies in general are still tanking as they have been for what seems like more than a year.  On the plus side, Lady Gaga's new video apparently killed both twitter and youtube for a little while today, so that's funny...

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #114 on: 08 Jun 2010, 18:42 »

Do we want to talk about reality?  So hey, BP's gulf oil spill is likely killing hundreds of different species and the region will never recover.  Meanwhile, the middle east is on day 52,427 of 'oh god oh god everythings going to shit', McDonalds is recalling novelty Shrek glasses because they're apparently tainted with deadly cadmium, and the world economies in general are still tanking as they have been for what seems like more than a year.  On the plus side, Lady Gaga's new video apparently killed both twitter and youtube for a little while today, so that's funny...

You forgot the acidification of the ocean from CO2 and the impending solar storm years!

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #115 on: 08 Jun 2010, 20:12 »

How fortunate we are to have you to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Well thanks for being a bitch. I said that was how I felt, I didn't say I expected or demanded anyone else to feel the same  way.

Quote from: many people
It's a cartoon

Thank you.

So what, so it's a cartoon? I don't remember anyone going "sheesh, it's just a cartoon you guys!" when everyone was balling on Sven for being a horrible person and treating women like crap. No one accused anyone else of "getting surprisingly emotional over the antics of nonexistent people" when everybody was holding their breath over the latest twist in Faye's love life--or when people coo over how sympathetic Marigold or Hanners is. The whole "it's just a cartoon!/Geeze why get so emotional over fictional characters" argument only gets trotted out when people have nothing better to say to an interpretation of the characters and their actions that they disagree with.

People bitch out Dora all the time for acting in a way they think is not acceptable towards Marten and being an overly jealous, over-reacting girlfriend, and no one says "oh what does it matter if she rakes his balls over hot coals for the smallest little thing and yet he thinks she is the greatest girlfriend ever, it's just a cartoon!"  It's normal to take issue with the way certain relationships or situations are portrayed in media--including cartoons.

No, the whining is due to one character lightly punching another in the arm.

Hard enough to leave a sizeable bruise is not "lightly."

Do we want to talk about reality?  So hey, BP's gulf oil spill is likely killing hundreds of different species and the region will never recover.  Meanwhile, the middle east is on day 52,427 of 'oh god oh god everythings going to shit', McDonalds is recalling novelty Shrek glasses because they're apparently tainted with deadly cadmium, and the world economies in general are still tanking as they have been for what seems like more than a year. 

Oh right, of course, how could I forget, we are not allowed to complain or be concerned about anything as long as there is something else that could be considered More Important on the horizon! People in the US should really stop bothering with abortion rights and gay marriage issues because gays and women in other countries have it much worse and we should worry about that first! Also, complaining to your friends about your bad boss is not allowed because other people don't even have a job. And really, what are we all even doing wasting our time posting on this forum when we should be dedicating every extra bit of energy and mental effort trying to find a cure for cancer and AIDS?!!

vonschiller

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #116 on: 08 Jun 2010, 21:31 »

Oh right, of course, how could I forget, we are not allowed to complain or be concerned about anything as long as there is something else that could be considered More Important on the horizon! People in the US should really stop bothering with abortion rights and gay marriage issues because gays and women in other countries have it much worse and we should worry about that first! Also, complaining to your friends about your bad boss is not allowed because other people don't even have a job. And really, what are we all even doing wasting our time posting on this forum when we should be dedicating every extra bit of energy and mental effort trying to find a cure for cancer and AIDS?!!

Shit.

I know shit's bad right now. With all that starving bullshit. But I got a solution.

Now I understand everyone's shit's emotional right now. But listen up. I got a three point plan to fix everything. Number one, we got this guy Not Sure. Number two, he's smarter than anyone in history. And number three, he's gonna fix everything. I give you my word as President!

Seriously, we seem to need a Lighten up, Francis rule around here these past couple days...

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #117 on: 08 Jun 2010, 22:04 »

Coming from someone who bruises all. the. damn. time. from even the littlest stuff: bruises suck. They are tender and sore and can take forever to go away.

If this is true, I'm sorry.  As someone else who gets bruises from so much as looking at my skin the wrong way, I completely disagree.  Maybe I've had one or two that have been tender, but nothing comes to mind.  Heck I'm poking one right now and it doesn't feel any different than when I poke myself somewhere without a bruise.  And that is one I got from being pushed into and pinned against an electrical box (accidentally).  Bit worse than a punch.  I'm not defending actual physical abuse - of which Faye is not guilty and frankly I think this discussion is getting close to the point of belittling actual victims of domestic violence - but seriously, when did inflicting one bruise while roughhousing become a big effing deal in this world, much less in the more comedic-violence-prone QC world?

and she leaves painful bruises

Do most people around here rarely get bruised?  Okay, in real life, Faye and Dora (and whoever else I can't think of right now) would not be punching this hard unless they were defending themselves.  Actually, I'm not sure Dora would be physically capable of punching someone hard enough to require an ice pack under any circumstances.  She's tiny and we know she doesn't work out.  In real life, Marten and Angus would not be going for ice packs every time they got a bruise.  Jeph apparently finds humor in some comedic violence and wussy men. In earlier strips, outrage at Faye's actions would have been reasonable.  But she has improved and doesn't hit people very often anymore.  Even in the real world, a playful punch, even one that caused a bruise, would not be a big deal.  Those that really dislike that behavior are free to avoid it, but some people like roughhousing and it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.

If some people find QC violence distasteful, that's fine, but is it really necessary to make a mountain out of mole hill?

Chaon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #118 on: 08 Jun 2010, 22:53 »

Am I one of the few people who doesn't care if Faye punches guys she's close to? I have a few female friends like that, guys usually don't mind hanging out with girls like that, mainly because those kind of girls have a higher threshold before becoming truly pissed or offended that just makes them funner to joke and hang around with.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2010, 23:08 by Chaon »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #119 on: 08 Jun 2010, 23:38 »

Marigold runs out of the apartment and runs into Sven.

Dora catches up with Marigold and finds her half drunk in Sven's arms

Dora misconstrues.

Next two panels - Sven in ICU and Dora behind bars.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #120 on: 08 Jun 2010, 23:55 »

Dora hitting Marten reminded me of http://clanofthecats.com/cotc/cotc-catnips5-3/[1].

[1] It's from a webcomic about a woman who turns into a panther when she gets stressed/annoyed.  The blue cat is the family pet.
Francisco

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #121 on: 09 Jun 2010, 00:20 »

Err anything Jimbo writes is terrible, so what ?
Carpe Diem

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #122 on: 09 Jun 2010, 00:26 »

Err anything Jimbo writes is terrible, so what ?
It would be terrible in new and exciting ways.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #123 on: 09 Jun 2010, 00:43 »

Panel 4A: I like big butts and I can not lie!
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #124 on: 09 Jun 2010, 01:10 »

with a person who might hit her back, Faye does not punch, and definitely not forcefully enough to bruise. So... she only punches the guys, because they can't hit back? Not cool.
I agree with you 100%, I complained of Faye's one-sided violence a few weeks ago. But I thought of something: Jeph mixes in elements from lots of places, like the cartoons we grew up with, where characters are beaten to pulps and come back next scene good as new.  When I picture Faye's punchings in the real world, I'm offended and angry at the brusings and the double-standards. I've already said someone should punch her back, but look at the shitstorm that might cause.

As Jeph said one time, WRITING IS HARDS.

And what if Marigold lost it and snapped at Faye?  It'd be consistent with Faye's character to go postal "in self-defense" and do major injuries to mild Mari.  I imagine the tough-guy apologists who call us wimps and pussies would be fine with that.

« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2010, 01:22 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #125 on: 09 Jun 2010, 01:44 »

OK, now we know where Pintsize is.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #126 on: 09 Jun 2010, 01:54 »

Marigold seems to be taking it well and it looks like Dora wasn't lying when she said she could handle it.  Considering how maternal Dora is (both here and when Hanners was ill), I think she would make a good mother (as much as she likes to deny that she wants one).

However, I'm not sure leaving Pintsize in the bedroom was that good an idea.  Who knows what he'll do to it whilst they're not there?
Francisco

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #127 on: 09 Jun 2010, 02:24 »

However, I'm not sure leaving Pintsize in the bedroom was that good an idea.  Who knows what he'll do to it whilst they're not there?
Well ... if it where my droid, I would just have removed the batteries.
Carpe Diem

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #128 on: 09 Jun 2010, 02:27 »

Previous Pintsize incidents suggest that the massive application of duct tape is an effective solution.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #129 on: 09 Jun 2010, 03:44 »

Realistic? The people and events in your world must be a lot more interesting than the ones I know. Part of the reason I read QC is the way Jeph combines fantasy and reality, with each heightening the other. A world filled with flying vacuum-cleaners, sentient robots, samurai squirrel-duels, roaming kung-fu monks, James Bond-style supervillains, pocket-sized laser cannnon, private space-stations, and mysterious scarred Russian vamps is not realistic. As for the characters, does anyone honestly imagine that Hanners is a realistic depiction of an OCD sufferer? Or that Faye's violent, drunken tsundere is a realistic depiction of, well, anyone? Faye's consequence-free violence is as much cartoon fantasy as her ability to catapult a grown man out of the CoD and into the street by the power of her scorn. It's a standard part of the QC schtick. Faye does something rude, violent, or abusive and hilarity ensues.

I absolutely reject the idea that cartoons cannot be taken seriously as a story-telling medium. Maus: A Survivor's Tale in comics (and it's a furry comic, no less!), and Grave Of The Fireflies in animated films are evidence enough for me. But, especially in the case of the latter, I probably wouldn't want a dose every day. For that, QC's fantasy-realism suits me very nicely.

Having said all that, I thought today's strip was very nicely drawn and written, but maybe a little lacking in the punch-line department. Actually, I'm not sure if it needed a punch-line, but... *shrug*
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #130 on: 09 Jun 2010, 03:45 »

However, I'm not sure leaving Pintsize in the bedroom was that good an idea.  Who knows what he'll do to it whilst they're not there?

I'm not sure if that's even possible but I think pintsize does have an off switch.

{edit} Found the strip.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2010, 04:44 by HiFranc »
Francisco

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #131 on: 09 Jun 2010, 04:33 »

And as previously mentioned - duct tape is not his friend, and is the handyman's secret weapon.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #132 on: 09 Jun 2010, 05:59 »

Either I'm too old or not well versed in things, but what's with the "Call Faye A Nazi" reference in the title?

Only thing I can think of is "Godwin'ed", but that's gotta be the most oblique reference ever.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #133 on: 09 Jun 2010, 06:15 »

Either I'm too old or not well versed in things, but what's with the "Call Faye A Nazi" reference in the title?

Only thing I can think of is "Godwin'ed", but that's gotta be the most oblique reference ever.

I'm pretty sure it is relating to Godwinning in reference to internet drama at the end.  As in, if this was the internet, this would turn into a flame war.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #134 on: 09 Jun 2010, 06:18 »

Marigold defines the word 'pitiful'.  See also 'pathetic'.  

Not to be completely mean, but she's sitting there at the front of the apartment complex having her own personal pity party.  Almost makes me want to slap her.  

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #135 on: 09 Jun 2010, 06:34 »

I think his first response was appropriate, until he freaked out about it when questioned on it. 
 Sadly, instead of being quick on his feet to say something like that, he started sputtering. 
  I still don't think Marten deserved Dora criticizing him like that, both when calling him an idiot and telling him not to say anything else stupid for the rest of the night.

To quote almost every news story about stupid shit happening

"Alcohol may have been a factor"

Thorbard

« Reply #136 on: 09 Jun 2010, 06:57 »

Not to be completely mean, but she's sitting there at the front of the apartment complex having her own personal pity party.  Almost makes me want to slap her.  

No she doesn't. She's just having a rough time and it probably all came as a shock.

If she's still moping in a day or two, then she's being pathetic.

If you want to slap someone, slap one of the people that tried to hide this from her.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #137 on: 09 Jun 2010, 07:38 »

No she doesn't. She's just having a rough time and it probably all came as a shock.

If she's still moping in a day or two, then she's being pathetic.

If you want to slap someone, slap one of the people that tried to hide this from her.

Nope. Marigold is pretty much this comic's embodiment of pathetic.

Running away instead of being up front about how she felt about it and having an actual discussion with the people she's offended by is what makes her pathetic.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #138 on: 09 Jun 2010, 08:18 »

Frantically busy, but just had to say, who's my best not-real girl? Dora, that's who!

Carry on.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #139 on: 09 Jun 2010, 10:01 »

Quote from: sunbnose
It is possible to turn Pintsize off, but although Marten has threatened it he never actually does it. Maybe it's unpleasant to AnthroPCs to be turned off (hey, look how we react to the prospect!) and Marten is too softhearted.

Quote from: Akima
A world filled with flying vacuum-cleaners, sentient robots, samurai squirrel-duels, roaming kung-fu monks, James Bond-style supervillains, pocket-sized laser cannnon, private space-stations, and mysterious scarred Russian vamps is not realistic.
I said realistic personalities, not realistic in general. Faye, for example, reminds me of a girlfriend I had when I was 16.

Quote from: Tuitsiro
Like Faye outside the coffee shop.

---

Was it really anybody's obligation to tell Marigold that Angus was interested in Faye? She had every right to know that Angus wasn't into her That Way, but that should have been sufficient.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2010, 10:05 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #140 on: 09 Jun 2010, 10:58 »

Was it really anybody's obligation to tell Marigold that Angus was interested in Faye? She had every right to know that Angus wasn't into her That Way, but that should have been sufficient.

Yeah, I get that Marigold would have liked to have known that Angus liked Faye and was pursuing her, BUT Angus had already told Marigold he wasn't into a relationship with her and quite frankly, that should have been enough. The fact that she wondered if she could guilt him into liking her showed (to me at least), that Marigold hadn't particularly listened to him. At least finding out this way ensures that she can't ignore it, and has to accept it.

Sure it sucks, but I dunno how convinced I am that she really Liked him versus she liked him solely because he was nice to her.

disaacs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #141 on: 09 Jun 2010, 11:01 »

Marigold seems to be taking it well and it looks like Dora wasn't lying when she said she could handle it.  Considering how maternal Dora is (both here and when Hanners was ill), I think she would make a good mother (as much as she likes to deny that she wants one).

Dora has never said she thinks she would be a bad mother. She has just said that she doesn't want to be a mother. Just because you might be good at something does not automatically mean you want to do it.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #142 on: 09 Jun 2010, 11:02 »

I'm pretty sure it is relating to Godwinning in reference to internet drama at the end.  As in, if this was the internet, this would turn into a flame war.

I agree with this interpretation.

And the only thing potentially more crippling/immobilizing to Pintsize than duct tape might be getting trapped in a room with Mieville.  We haven't seen the kitty, right?  Mieville could be reinacting a Saw movie on Pintsize right now for all we know . . .

Yeah, Marigold is moping, but it'd be unrealistic to expect her to deal with the news any better than she is at this point.  Dora's actually being understanding without being condescending, so that's cool.  I wonder how well she'll stick to the "I promise I'll be up-front with you from now on" thing -- depending on how much she's told her, it could get intersting if Marigold encounters Sven again (and no, I'm not shipping them).

Now, back to the party, where Winslow accidentally rickrolls everyone!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Thorbard

« Reply #143 on: 09 Jun 2010, 11:39 »

No, but he's not gone the best way about it. He's been trying to avoid the issue entirely while still practically leading her on, particularly with the compliments he was giving during the walk over to the party. The problem wasn't that he complimented her, but the specific compliments could all be easliy interpreted differently to that. Then to find out that the main reason for him not being interested in her (given that she admitted she didn't want a boyfriend, just someone to be nice to her "and stuff") is because he's into some other girl that he hasn't told her about.

If Angus expects her to trust him, he should've been up front about it. Like she said, it wouldn't be any worse than this all was and maybe she wouldn't have embarrassed herself by continuing to flirt with him.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #144 on: 09 Jun 2010, 12:04 »

How has he been avoiding the issue? Angus is the one who brought it up - Marigold wanted to avoid it. Angus also apologized for his unknowingly leading her on. Then we also found out that the reason Marigold started liking him was because he was nice to her. Angus has tried to be nice, tried to spare her feelings, and his compliments to me sounded like the standard "pick-you-up" sort of compliments typically heard - "You're so awesome, you need a person to match that awesomeness!" Maybe it wasn't the right way to deal with Marigold, but often there isn't a "right" way anyway, everyone reacts differently. Angus had already told Marigold he wasn't into her that way, so as long as she chose to interpret his niceness as him actually liking her, she chose to remain in denial and, short of Angus ignoring her completely, there probably wasn't anything else he could do.

As far as her embarrassment for continuing to flirt with him - again, she brought that upon herself because she chose not to listen to what Angus was telling her, and instead chose to listen to what she really hoped would happen. Whether or not he told her he was interested in another girl might have made a difference (and maybe even more if he'd told her it was Faye), or it might not have.

Her hurt now also doesn't seem to be so much at Angus not liking her, but at her being out of the loop. Quite frankly, she witnesses many signs of, at least Angus' attraction to Faye, and whether she missed them because she's socially inept or because she didn't want to see them are both good reasons. Also, she's complaining about drama, but she did bring some of it upon herself by choosing to not listen to Angus.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #145 on: 09 Jun 2010, 12:17 »

On Faye hitting girls, does a sister count: http://questionablecontent.net/comics/617.png

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #146 on: 09 Jun 2010, 13:12 »

On Faye hitting girls, does a sister count: http://questionablecontent.net/comics/617.png
Yep this was brought up a couple of times.  She also did not do anything violent to Sven after he ceased being monogomous, both counter the "Faye is a violent person" thing (although people are dismissing the sister for some reason).

Regarding today's strip, I don't know how people are blaming Angus at all.  He shot down Marigold before he was even "sorta-maybe potentially together in the future" status with Faye.  What, did you want him to go up to Marigold, who he just shot down, and be like "Oh btw I made great progress in my obvious persuing of Faye today, but we agreed to take it slow to not rub salt in your wounds! ^^b"?

Angus turned her down unequivocally.  His love life is his own.  Marigold just didn't face that fully and now she is.  She's actually handling it a lot better than I thought she would, but she has no reasonable claim to blame Angus or really anyone else.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2010, 13:19 by TAG »

Nightson

« Reply #147 on: 09 Jun 2010, 13:20 »

Well, I won't say Angus deserves blame here, Angus has been a great guy all around handling Marigold.  But if all  of them are going to be hanging out, then Marigold is going to find out about their flirting.  It might have been better if Angus had told her earlier because she could have dealt with it in a private setting.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #148 on: 09 Jun 2010, 13:56 »

"Pity party"...

Would Marigold's mopiness be considered contemptible if she were fifteen years old?

Because that's about where she is in terms of life experience.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #149 on: 09 Jun 2010, 14:04 »

I'm writing this from my mobile so I don't have the ability to quote posts.

disaacs:

You're right - ability is not the same as desire.

However, she did hint, in comic 1317, that she doesn't think she'd make a good mother. As it was a joke, we can't read too much into it but it may be more than a joke.
Francisco
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up