THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 03:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: E3 2010 M-M-M-Megathread  (Read 30323 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: E3 2010 M-M-M-Megathread
« Reply #100 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:18 »

SHIGGY IS A PRETTY OKAY GUY.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #101 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:36 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #102 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:37 »

I feel like that's a guy in "fat Obama" makeup.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #104 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:00 »

More Portal 2 gameplay

I'm just...I can think with portals just fine. I'm not sure I can think with portals and speed goop and bouncy goop and tractor beams and laser cubes at the same time and then do it with a partner. This is going to be brain breaking.

It's important to remember that Portal was initially an experimental game, where they made a game spanning a few hours out of a very basic concept to see if it worked. Now we get Portal 2, where they really put their backs into. In a way, it's comparable to World of Goo: First there was only a flash game, Tower of Goo, where you built a tower of interlinking balls. There's your basic concept. In the full game they added a dozen more types of goo balls, plus environmental elements and even completely different worlds, and thereby not replacing but evolving their starting concept. I think that's what's happening here as well.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #105 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:19 »

And a Longer interview trailer talking about decisions on gameplay and such for Civilization V.

http://kotaku.com/5565685/civilization-vs-trailer-is-a-love-letter-to-pc-gamers

They really like saying Sid Meier's Civilization V in this trailer.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #106 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:51 »

It certainly runs off the tongue better than Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri A Brian Reynolds Game.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #107 on: 17 Jun 2010, 09:56 »

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #108 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:24 »

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 11:36 by Blue Kitty »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #109 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:57 »

So here's Bulletstorm. It's slightly reminiscent of Borderlands, in the way they're going for ridiculous, but... listen to them! "You scared the DICK off me!" That's not even funny anymore. I also have some doubts about the "kill with skill" tricks. They say it prevents players from taking the easy way out, but the grapple and kicks look exactly like the instakill moves they want to avoid. What?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #110 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:07 »

Yeah, the writing is a bummer so far. Between that and Gears of War sometimes I wonder why companies even bother going out and getting experienced VAs like Blum and John DiMaggio.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 12:28 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #111 on: 17 Jun 2010, 19:01 »

When you hit the start button, the game doesn't go to the wall of text you usually see. Instead, you're transported to the Sanctuary, an interactive menu.

ehhh

Your guide is voiced by John Cleese,

SOLD.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #112 on: 17 Jun 2010, 20:11 »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #113 on: 17 Jun 2010, 22:11 »

Just sayin', Rage looks friggin' sweet.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #114 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:45 »

I really don't understand the appeal of a lot of Nintendo's stuff.  I mean, I have a DS Lite and I played the crap out of a few games but now I have an iPhone to fill that need without having to carry a DS around, so I'm pretty much set.

In relation to the "big announcement" it wasn't to do with Portal at all, it was supposed to be this:

Unfortunately it isn't as big news as I was hoping for, as it doesn't mean cross-platform multiplayer support, so boooooooooooo.
oh hey
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #115 on: 18 Jun 2010, 07:54 »

That is odd, as they specifically said that it wasn't going to be available in the article I read.  I am hoping they get it done, because cross-platform multiplayer is something I really want to become a reality.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #116 on: 18 Jun 2010, 09:25 »

Cross-platform multiplayer is pretty neat, but I think that considering the teases Valve was giving prior to E3, their primary fanbase is probably pretty let down by that 'surprise'.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ackblom12

« Reply #117 on: 18 Jun 2010, 10:40 »

I'm actually more interested in the idea that Valve getting Steamworks on PSN means that any updates to their games, they should be able to do for free. I at least highly doubt they didn't force that into the contract before signing. If they did, then MS might have to actually back their statement about not being allowed to charge for DLC that is free on other consoles on Live.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #118 on: 18 Jun 2010, 10:52 »

I'm actually more interested in the idea that Valve getting Steamworks on PSN means that any updates to their games, they should be able to do for free. I at least highly doubt they didn't force that into the contract before signing. If they did, then MS might have to actually back their statement about not being allowed to charge for DLC that is free on other consoles on Live.

this x1000

god that would be glorious
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #119 on: 18 Jun 2010, 19:55 »

It has nothing to do with E3, but if you want the new Xbox but your still works you can trade it in to Gamestop and, along with $90, you will get one of the new ones.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #120 on: 18 Jun 2010, 21:59 »

I picked up the slim today and I just wanted to give a couple impressions on it so far.

The first thing you notice when you take it out of the box is how small it is, and how light. The actual body feels significantly lighter, and the power brick does too. The glossy finish looks like its gonna smudge and gather dust extremely easily, especially since I'm sitting it on its side. The really annoying thing here that I noticed is that is came with just a standard component cable, without the HDMI component option. Apparently this is how a lot of people got their Xbox's, but mine came with one for some reason, so who knows. Anyway this means I'm probably going to end up springing for an expensive HDMI cable, which I'm not going to be able to afford until friday, which is a travesty for my 42 inch flatscreen.

A really cool thing is that when you turn it on, the actual power and disc open places aren't really buttons, they're like touch activated. and they start really easily, extremely sensitive. And the machine really does run incredibly quietly, could only barely hear it when I held my ear up close. Also there was a light touch but when you sync a controller to it you only have to press the controller sync button, the xbox just picks up the signal.

Beyond that its pretty much a 360, so hey, kinda cool. If it turns out to have trouble with red ringing issues I'm probably gonna cry a bit.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #121 on: 18 Jun 2010, 22:05 »

It can't red ring
it doesn't use red

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #122 on: 18 Jun 2010, 22:15 »

I thought the new one would turn the power icon in the middle of the button red instead of doing rings?
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #123 on: 18 Jun 2010, 22:18 »

A really cool thing is that when you turn it on, the actual power and disc open places aren't really buttons, they're like touch activated. and they start really easily, extremely sensitive. And the machine really does run incredibly quietly, could only barely hear it when I held my ear up close. Also there was a light touch but when you sync a controller to it you only have to press the controller sync button, the xbox just picks up the signal.

Hey neat just like the PS3 has always had <trollface>
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #124 on: 18 Jun 2010, 23:24 »

The PS3 does have some rather nice things going for it as far as build quality goes. It's just too bad that it took until the last year or so before I could really take it seriously.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #125 on: 19 Jun 2010, 00:46 »

it's also too bad that sony actively removes features you've already paid for as they go along.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #126 on: 21 Jun 2010, 10:20 »

Anyway this means I'm probably going to end up springing for an expensive HDMI cable, which I'm not going to be able to afford until friday, which is a travesty for my 42 inch flatscreen.

Try looking on Amazon. I know Best Buy and shit sells them for like $60, but really you can get them online for around $2. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi&x=0&y=0

And don't worry about getting a "premium" one or any shit like that best it's really no different. Just find one on Amazon for the length you need and you should be set. Shouldn't be more than $4.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #127 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:34 »

Monoprice.com also has them really cheap.  I believe a friend of mine bought 12 for like 3$ on sale once.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #128 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:40 »

"monoprice.com: where the prices are so low, they're contagious!"
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #129 on: 21 Jun 2010, 17:10 »

Meh, I just bought a relatively cheap one, so whatever, at least I've got it, way better than Standard definition anyway.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #130 on: 22 Jun 2010, 00:22 »

Have you guys/gals seen this review of Natal/Kinect?

The Kinect is not easy to use, it’s not accurate, and it’s not fun. The only worse waste of $150 we can imagine spending on the Kinect at this point is the ensuing trickle of dollars that would go into buying the present selection of godawful titles for it.

Sounds pretty great!

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #131 on: 22 Jun 2010, 00:54 »

well that's a shame. while i was always skeptical about the idea of doing everything via visual recognition, i'll admit i was abit hopeful.

what a majestic beast

indeed. though i would hope that they either enlarge the screens or slim the unit down abit before release, that large bezel is not particularly attractive. i also kind of wonder if the 3d effect will be worth the trouble if you have to keep your head in the exact right spot for the entire time you are playing. they might have been better off using that internal camera for a head tracking style 3d effect. but, i digress, there really is no way to judge until it hits the market and we can see for ourselves.

Super Street Fighter IV for 3DS. I hope that pad is solid.

damnit man, these were clean pants!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #132 on: 22 Jun 2010, 09:45 »

I hear tell the sweet spot for the 3D is a bit forgiving and, of course, it's handheld. You can move the screen as you move your head.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #133 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:20 »

This is technically not E3 and I've already got it in the Civ V thread, but this is just too good.

http://kotaku.com/5569527/civilization-addiction-is-as-real-as-this-trailer-suggests

I wish Edna were my granny.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #134 on: 22 Jun 2010, 13:16 »

Have you guys/gals seen this review of Natal/Kinect?

The Kinect is not easy to use, it’s not accurate, and it’s not fun. The only worse waste of $150 we can imagine spending on the Kinect at this point is the ensuing trickle of dollars that would go into buying the present selection of godawful titles for it.

Sounds pretty great!

Funny, this is completely contrary to all the other hands-on impressions I've read. Everybody else seems to think that the motion sensing works well, but it'll be up to developers to think of interesting ways to deliver on the potential in terms of actual gameplay because the controller interface is something we're all inherently used to. Personally, I'm much more interested in Kinect than Playstation Move (although I think both will be total bombs from a commercial perspective) because of the interface and voice recognition features. If the Milo demo accurately demonstrates what that thing can do in terms of voice recognition and the fidelity of the camera, then I think it's got a ton of good ideas behind it. Whether or not they'll deliver on that remains to be seen, and I'm certainly not paying 150 dollars for it up front.

I honestly think both of these peripherals from Sony and Microsoft are too little, too late in terms of actually expanding their audiences in the same way Nintendo did. Say what you want about the Wii (a large portion of it is certainly merited, although I think a lot of people overlook a lot of worthwhile stuff on the console out of sheer obstinacy), but motion control is integral to that device. Who would pick up a 360 or PS3 and then buy an expensive peripheral on top of that? Casual gamers are mostly price driven, and the Wii costs only slightly more than Kinect and is basically equivalent to 2 Move controllers and the Playstation Eye, let alone the costs of the consoles themselves. Do Sony and Microsoft really think they care about getting the same motion-controlled game experiences in high def? Whereas hardcore gamers already have the consoles, but they're used to playing games with controllers and they know that the games they already enjoy won't require the technology, or at least probably won't benefit meaningfully from it. I have no idea who Microsoft and Sony think these peripherals are for, but if they really wanted a direct competitor with the Wii, they needed to bring it out sooner than 4 years after the Wii was released, and they needed to make it more economically competitive up front.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up