The handshake
- 2 (3.9%)
"Oh $#!+, she KNOWS"
- 13 (25.5%)
30-gun salute from ST & YB
- 8 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WDT: June 14-18, 2010 (1686-1690)  (Read 69590 times)

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
Re: WDT: June 14-18, 2010
« Reply #100 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:55 »

Anybody that self-identifies as a "Nice Guy" is a creepy bastard, without exception.
Is there a difference between nice guy and "Nice Guy" I haven't heard of? Otherwise, facepalm.

Yes. People who just happen to be nice usually don't need to declare it or profess themselves as such. "Nice Guys" are a particular breed of men (and women too, sometimes!) who haven't been successful romantically, but are certain that they are better than "those jerks" that women keep dating instead, and blame all their romantic problems on women and the world and refuse to look at how they might in fact not be someone a woman wants to date. They are often bitter and self-pitying and can be creepy and manipulative: a patented "nice guy" move is to make friends with a woman he's interested in, never tell her he's interested, and just kind of hang around in the hopes of her eventually reciprocating, all the time complaining how she keeps dating jerks and doesn't see the "nice guy"right under her nose, when the only reason he's friends with her is that he wants to get into her pants.  He might eventually dismiss her as just "one of those bitches" for the crime of taking him at his word about the whole "friends" thing.  Or else he'll just hang around moping forever.

Even when he really doesn't do anything worse that try way too hard to please, he still doesn't get that subsuming all his desires and basically making himself a doormat for a woman is (rightly!) not an attractive quality, and it's not so much that the woman won't date him because he's nice as...well... would it be appealing to you to date someone who has no personality of their own? It's discomforting when someone never asserts any of their own wishes or preferences and just does anything to please you--not least of all because then he's not actually sharing in any of your interests but just putting up with them because of his intense need to be liked/get into your pants.

Here's the website that documents this phenomenon best:

http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml

Here's a website by a self-proclaimed "nice guy"all about how he really hates women:
http://www.the-niceguy.com/articles/Me.html

Here's a comic that I swear should be a satire, but the website for it is entirely sincere... the author genuinely believes his main character to be a poor, downtrodden, great guy who just "can't get the girl."  

http://www.theniceguycomic.com/strips-thebword.htm

notice how in the very first comic, the girl he meets and starts talking to at the coffee shop is apparently evil and insensitive because she happens to have a boyfriend. And the guy, although pretending to be super nice and everything, immediately tunes out of the conversation as soon as he hears that.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 08:59 by JackFaerie »

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #101 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:55 »

The ultimate reason Hanners is "becoming inured to this": http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1611

And all you TaiGold shippers, panel 4, that's not mild annoyance at having a pantsless microdyke draping a leg across your lap. That's severe heterosexual embarrassment. It would take more inurement than all of the characters have left in their natural lifetimes for Marigirl to get over that kind of repulsion and to make TaiGold shippers' dreams come true.

And in the vein of "Where is <character name here>'s <side> hand in panel <panel number here>???" Marigold/left/4
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #102 on: 16 Jun 2010, 09:23 »

but why is Hanners staring at Tai's crotch?
She's trying to reure herself. It ain't workin'.
Actually, its because she likes looking at Tai's crotch. The thing she's becoming inured to, much to her chagrin, is Tai flirting with other girls, in spite of their impending nuptials. :P
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #103 on: 16 Jun 2010, 09:53 »

Cosette gives me the creeps!
Um. :-o

I take it you're shocked that I find her creepy?  I refer you to the evidence:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1551 (last panel)
Why invite someone up when your face shows that you're not that sort of mood?

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1551 (panels 2-6)
A strong reaction for a friend saying that she should be careful.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1430 (last panel)
A strong reaction from just a photo. 

None of that's actually "creepy", it's "haven't had a guy in a while". Big diff.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #104 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:39 »

Well, on the plus side, at least Tai hasn't gotten to the point where she's showing the rest of the party her hood piercing -- she's one layer away, but Momma Dora seems to be putting a stop to things.  Worst case scenario might be if drunk Tai buried her face in Marigold's cleavage and then threw up.  -_-  Hopefully things won't go that far, or get that messy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #105 on: 16 Jun 2010, 13:01 »

JackFaerie,

Is Marten a creepy bastard?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #106 on: 16 Jun 2010, 14:16 »

Sorry folks, I'm on my mobile so can't quote.

CEO, even for someone who's desperate, the last two are extreme. As for inviting someone up when someone's upset you...

Cold, Marten didn't put his opinions on hold to agree with Faye. He didn't befriend her just to be with her. He was always a true friend first.
Francisco

jasononline

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #107 on: 16 Jun 2010, 14:50 »

Anybody that self-identifies as a "Nice Guy" is a creepy bastard, without exception.
Is there a difference between nice guy and "Nice Guy" I haven't heard of? Otherwise, facepalm.

Yes. People who just happen to be nice usually don't need to declare it or profess themselves as such. "Nice Guys" are a particular breed of men (and women too, sometimes!) who haven't been successful romantically, but are certain that they are better than "those jerks" that women keep dating instead, and blame all their romantic problems on women and the world and refuse to look at how they might in fact not be someone a woman wants to date. They are often bitter and self-pitying and can be creepy and manipulative: a patented "nice guy" move is to make friends with a woman he's interested in, never tell her he's interested, and just kind of hang around in the hopes of her eventually reciprocating, all the time complaining how she keeps dating jerks and doesn't see the "nice guy"right under her nose, when the only reason he's friends with her is that he wants to get into her pants.  He might eventually dismiss her as just "one of those bitches" for the crime of taking him at his word about the whole "friends" thing.  Or else he'll just hang around moping forever.

Even when he really doesn't do anything worse that try way too hard to please, he still doesn't get that subsuming all his desires and basically making himself a doormat for a woman is (rightly!) not an attractive quality, and it's not so much that the woman won't date him because he's nice as...well... would it be appealing to you to date someone who has no personality of their own? It's discomforting when someone never asserts any of their own wishes or preferences and just does anything to please you--not least of all because then he's not actually sharing in any of your interests but just putting up with them because of his intense need to be liked/get into your pants.

Here's the website that documents this phenomenon best:

http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml

Here's a website by a self-proclaimed "nice guy"all about how he really hates women:
http://www.the-niceguy.com/articles/Me.html

Here's a comic that I swear should be a satire, but the website for it is entirely sincere... the author genuinely believes his main character to be a poor, downtrodden, great guy who just "can't get the girl."  

http://www.theniceguycomic.com/strips-thebword.htm

notice how in the very first comic, the girl he meets and starts talking to at the coffee shop is apparently evil and insensitive because she happens to have a boyfriend. And the guy, although pretending to be super nice and everything, immediately tunes out of the conversation as soon as he hears that.

Are you Yaoi Huntress Earth on The Bad Webcomics Wiki?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #108 on: 16 Jun 2010, 15:52 »

You know, you could have posted that without quoting the entire tree, or even most of the last post in that tree.
Or, heck, you could have asked via PM and also explained yourself some so maybe you wouldn't come across as a bit creepy stalker-ish too. :|
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #109 on: 16 Jun 2010, 16:02 »

Cold, Marten didn't put his opinions on hold to agree with Faye. He didn't befriend her just to be with her. He was always a true friend first.

He also didn't hide his romantic feelings for Faye, he did not allow them to develop at her request, nor put his love life on hold waiting for her to get over her issues.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #110 on: 16 Jun 2010, 16:22 »

Why is it I never get invited to parties like that?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

akronnick

« Reply #111 on: 16 Jun 2010, 17:27 »

"'Cause nobody likes ya, Monkey-Boy!"
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #112 on: 16 Jun 2010, 17:35 »

Nice Guy MO - http://xkcd.com/513/

And I know, I used to be one of them.  I spent about four years doing the nice guy routine.  I was better then quite a few, I was not as insecure as most, I was fairly upfront about how I felt, I didn't have any sort of .  But I was still thinking of myself as the nice guy who deserved the girl who did no wrong, who stuck her up on a pedestal, caved into anything she desired.

And it ended badly, it ended because she cut off contact (because she would often totally cut friends out of her life for trivial things, she cut off contact with me because I asked her not to delete pictures off my cellphone without so much as a word to me), and my saving grace at least is that I was able to look back over those years of my life and see what I was doing wrong.  

And if I have another saving grace, I can change.  And so I did.  I didn't stop being nice, not at all, but I stopped being the nice guy.  And suddenly I could have functional romantic relationships.  And you know, being a nice guy wasn't anything inherent in me, it was a trap I fell into because I absorbed ideas of how relationships should work without bothering to think about them or search out other opinions.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #113 on: 16 Jun 2010, 17:47 »

He also didn't hide his romantic feelings for Faye, he did not allow them to develop at her request, nor put his love life on hold waiting for her to get over her issues.

After 500 strips she had to ask whether he had "feelings" for her, and he went on only one date that whole time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

« Reply #114 on: 16 Jun 2010, 18:12 »

She didn't "have to ask,"  she knew, and she asked him to openly state what his feelings where, to get it on the record. She wasn't seeing anybody either, and both of them knew that if the other wanted to, they could explore their relationship. They mutually agreed (even if it was an unspoken agreement) that they should take things slow, and when Faye finally decided to steer away from a romantic relationship, Marten (nearly immediately) explored other romantic interests.

Definitely not "Nice Guy"tm behavior.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #115 on: 16 Jun 2010, 18:38 »

"HE" explored other relationships?

I beg to differ.

EDIT: Marten would have moped on incessantly had Dora not "kissed the boy." Heck, he was doing it right before she kissed him!
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 18:40 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

akronnick

« Reply #116 on: 16 Jun 2010, 18:53 »

I didn't say he was assertive, I just said he wasn't a "Nice Guy"tm.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 20:12 by akronnick »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #117 on: 16 Jun 2010, 19:06 »

There was one talk about what Faye needed but I would argue that she was too deliberately ambiguous to have had an unspoken agreement.

I don't think Marten is a creepy bastard, and I put him forward as an example of a Nice Guy who doesn't push and is a genuine friend despite considering lusting after her in secret as early as strip 4.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #118 on: 16 Jun 2010, 19:13 »

I didn't say he was assertive, I just said he wasn't a "Nice Gut"tm.
Of course he isn't, he is ridiculously skinny. No gut at all.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

akronnick

« Reply #119 on: 16 Jun 2010, 20:14 »

I didn't say he was assertive, I just said he wasn't a "Nice Gut"tm.
Of course he isn't, he is ridiculously skinny. No gut at all.

*Looks left.*
*Looks right.*
*Mutters* Motherfucker

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #120 on: 16 Jun 2010, 20:16 »

JackFaerie,

Nope. I'm with akronnick. He flirted with her from the start, and it was always obvious he was interested. When she told him she didn't want him to "try anything" but just wanted a friend, he respected that--by which I mean, he did not try to push her into anything, AND he really was fine with being her friend, whether anything worked out between them later or not.  He might have hoped he'd have a chance with her later, but his friendship with her was not based on that--as shown by the fact that he continued to be friends with her both after she rejected him, and after he got his own girlfriend.

It was also a different situation because she TOLD him not to make a move on her. He wasn't just hanging around while she was available or dating other guys and waiting for her to notice him.  Having unrequited feelings or hoping that someone will eventually give you a chance isn't creepy all in itself--it's the other stuff that makes it so.

Read those Nice Guy comics. Watch how the Nice Guy treats women--and how they're only valuable to him so long as they're potential romantic partners, and how he appears to consider conversation with them a waste of time if it later turns out they're taken (ie, he was faking interest in the conversation in the hopes of getting somewhere with them, rather than interacting with them as people whose company might be interesting for what it is).  Note how when his "friend" he's "in love with" talks about her troubles with her boyfriend, he pretends to be all sympathetic and comforting while thinking that from what she's saying, he's sure the guy must be cheating on her, etc. If he were a real friend, he'd tell her that, because he would be watching out for her best interests--instead, he just tells her what she wants to hear because he doesn't actually care about her best interests, but rather remaining in her good graces.  That's the stuff that makes the kind of Nice Guy we're talking about.

Oh, and I'm not whoever on that other forum, sorry. :-)

EDIT: It's the fact that Marten IS a genuine friend, who did NOT have ulterior motives for the friendship, that makes him not a Nice Guy(tm). And the fact that his lusting was only in secret because Faye specifically told him she was not available for that. You can't turn off your emotions or physical attraction, that's not the point.

Also, I wanna say, I totally used to be that girl who'd hang around a boy hoping he'd notice her eventually in high school (although at least in my case, I did enjoy their company simply for what it was). And at one point, this guy I secretly liked told me that while he had been interested in me when we first met, since I didn't seem interested back at the time, he wasn't anymore, and he started dating another friend of mine.  And I had this thought that even then I felt was manipulative and horrible (especially to my friend) that I'd be the Nice Girl. That I'd stick around being his close friend, listening to his girl problems, being the one he came to for advice, and eventually... eventually, he'd realize. He'd see when his relationship with my friend ran its course that I was always there for him, I was the one who understood him, the one he trusted more than anyone else, etc etc etc....

And then I shook myself and told myself that was fucking creepy, and snapped out of it, and managed to move on. And started asking boys out.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 20:30 by JackFaerie »

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #121 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:17 »

Nice guys are creeps, so the girls go out with the bad boys who treat them like dirt.  But at least they're not going out with creeps!

CEOIII

« Reply #122 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:18 »

OK, I'm sure I'm just being obtuse, but: Marigold knows WHAT?
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #123 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:21 »

Marigold knows about Faye and Angus.

Also, wow. Marigold couldn't actually say "goodbye"? I mean, maybe she did to Marten and Dora and all, and we just didn't see it, but saying nothing to Faye? I didn't really think anything much of her conversation before, but not I am wondering if Marigold is trying to be sneaky somehow.

akronnick

« Reply #124 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:22 »

Marigold knows about The Game, and Faye (and you) just lost.

Faye knows that Marigold knows that Faye wants to know all about getting to know Angus, in the Biblical sense.

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #125 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:28 »

Also, wow. Marigold couldn't actually say "goodbye"? I mean, maybe she did to Marten and Dora and all, and we just didn't see it, but saying nothing to Faye? I didn't really think anything much of her conversation before, but not I am wondering if Marigold is trying to be sneaky somehow.

I was a little peeved by that too.  I'm kind of wondering if she's trying to make Faye uncomfortable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #126 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:45 »

Did Faye miss Marigirl fleeing the building upon learning that Faye and Angus were a Something Or Other? Did Faye not know that Marigirl was aware of the nascent relationship?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #127 on: 16 Jun 2010, 22:46 »

I don't know why, but when I read Hannelores comment about how she would check the washing machine for dishes I heard her saying it in the same tone of "It worries me I'm becoming inured to this"
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

TAG

• Plantmonster
« Reply #128 on: 16 Jun 2010, 23:02 »

Did Faye miss Marigirl fleeing the building upon learning that Faye and Angus were a Something Or Other? Did Faye not know that Marigirl was aware of the nascent relationship?

Faye was in Time Out at the time.  I guess no one filled her (or Angus) in for some reason.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 23:06 by TAG »

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #129 on: 16 Jun 2010, 23:03 »

I don't know why, but when I read Hannelores comment about how she would check the washing machine for dishes I heard her saying it in the same tone of "It worries me I'm becoming inured to this"

lol, I'm glad you said something. I wouldn't have heard it otherwise.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #130 on: 16 Jun 2010, 23:13 »

Faye was in Time Out at the time.  I guess no one filled her (or Angus) in for some reason.

Panel 2

I was a little peeved by that too.  I'm kind of wondering if she's trying to make Faye uncomfortable.

Yeah, looking at it again, it seems intentional, but I can't really figure out why Marigold would do that. Intentionally, I mean. I really was going with the theory that her talk with Faye while in the kitchen was a bit more of a learning/understanding experience. Unless she somehow thinks from that that Faye is being mean to Angus and Therefore Doesn't Deserve Him, Marigold's actions seem odd.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #131 on: 16 Jun 2010, 23:17 »

Faye knows that Marigold knows that Faye wants to know all about getting to know Angus, in the Biblical sense.

Did anyone else get a headache parsing this? 

I think it won an internet, if not the Game. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #132 on: 16 Jun 2010, 23:46 »

Nice guys are creeps, so the girls go out with the bad boys who treat them like dirt.  But at least they're not going out with creeps!

If in your world the only kinds of men in existence are clingy creepy doublefaced "nice guys" and "bad boys," sure.  I will say this: at least the bad boys are fun sometimes.

Marigold's goodbye was pretty odd, yeah.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #133 on: 17 Jun 2010, 00:13 »

Until the nice guys learn, but its a bit hard to learn. Born a softie, always a softie.
Carpe Diem

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #134 on: 17 Jun 2010, 00:16 »

JackFaerie,

Yes, definitely. He's a typical example of a nice guy. I immediately identified with him when the comic started.
Carpe Diem

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #135 on: 17 Jun 2010, 00:19 »

Knowledge is power.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

AngryCallCenterAgent

• "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.
« Reply #136 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:30 »

Quote from: Faye
Oh shit she knows

DUN DUN DUN™
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #137 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:31 »

There was one talk about what Faye needed but I would argue that she was too deliberately ambiguous to have had an unspoken agreement.

Don't forget the promise.

Daily time together for Faye and Angus.  It's a small step but it looks like Fangus is going to last a while.

<< inner shipper screaming with delight
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 03:34 by HiFranc »
Francisco

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #138 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:14 »

Knowledge is power.

I thought it was "Knowing is half the battle."
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #139 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:33 »

Knowledge is power.
I thought it was "Knowing is half the battle."
Well yes, power's no good without a transducer; that's the other half of the battle.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #140 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:04 »

I was a little peeved by that too.  I'm kind of wondering if she's trying to make Faye uncomfortable.

Or, more like Ms. Self-unaware has no idea what to say to her.
Just another Joe like 46

Lyrical

• Plantmonster
« Reply #141 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:49 »

If in your world the only kinds of men in existence are clingy creepy doublefaced "nice guys" and "bad boys," sure.  I will say this: at least the bad boys are fun sometimes.

I'd say that Marten was a bit of a doormat and a bit desperate, but he didn't pretend to be someone's friend in hopes of getting to sleep with them.  He befriended women and genuinely cared about them, which is different.  Someone who says, "If you don't date me, you'll date an abusive jerk" isn't actually nice, he's passive-aggressive.  It comes across to me as "If you don't date me, I hope you'll be punished and treated like dirt by the next guy you date."  Very ugly, and it says a lot about their views on both men and women.

I've dated a few guys who are on the slightly shy, geeky  side, who I still think are wonderful people even though we split up for various reasons.  They didn't feel the universe owed them a hot, geeky girlfriend who does yoga and gymnastics, but wound up with me anyway. :wink:

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #142 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:20 »

I think that's closer to the mark, yeah.  Though I suppose this could be Marigold's unspoken "I cede the field to you" gesture, which of course doesn't occur to her to need to explain.

So I guess next week we'll see Angus' eventual "oh shit" epiphany.   :-D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #143 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:20 »

I think that's closer to the mark, yeah.  Though I suppose this could be Marigold's unspoken "I cede the field to you" gesture, which of course doesn't occur to her to need to explain.

So I guess next week we'll see Angus' eventual "oh shit" epiphany.   :-D

The problem with this theory is that she has no field to cede. She already lost and such a gesture would be so pathetic as to cross over into unintentional hilarity.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #144 on: 17 Jun 2010, 13:39 »

If knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, then power is not bliss. No wonder everyone is D.C. is pissed off 24/7/365.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #145 on: 17 Jun 2010, 15:11 »

I didn't know that there aren't actually any nice guys out there, and that even if you are one, and everyone thinks you are, if you proclaim yourself to be one that gets you in the creepy horrible "Nice Guy" moniker and everyone suddenly thinks you are a douche.  Yeah someone who sits there all the time being woe is me, they want a nice guy why not me, that's a recipe for disaster.  But just saying that you are one if it comes up it shouldn't come with a bad connotation.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #146 on: 17 Jun 2010, 16:48 »

I agree.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #147 on: 17 Jun 2010, 17:42 »

There does seem to be a difference between, "Yeah, I think I'm a pretty decent guy," and "Hey, I'm practically the nicest guy in the world, how do you not see it?" though.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #148 on: 17 Jun 2010, 18:34 »

If knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, then power is not bliss. No wonder everyone is D.C. is pissed off 24/7/365.

I love it. I may need to add this to my quote collection.

EDIT: Oh, and my wife thinks I'm a nice guy, so there. :P
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 18:36 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

zagraf

« Reply #149 on: 17 Jun 2010, 19:58 »

Oh hey, Sweet-Tits in colour. A first, if I'm not mistaken.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up