THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Girl on the Train  (Read 3254 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
The Girl on the Train
« on: 06 Jul 2010, 10:24 »

Has anyone seen this? I went to see it last night, French with subtitles.

I guess there are two things I'd like to discuss: firstly the film itself and what possessed the protagonist to act as she did, and secondly French cinema in general. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is that makes it different to British and American cinema, but I am beginning to think it's that the French are not afraid of silence or of space, and that they prefer to hint rather than spell out every detail.

Any thoughts?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
Re: The Girl on the Train
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2010, 08:39 »

I can't comment on that film but, from the other French films I've seen, they strike me as:

• Generally slower,
  • Greater concentration on mundane things,
  • More focus on interpersonal relationships and emotions, and
  • More focus on "small p" politics (e.g. those that happen among groups of people).
Francisco

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2010, 09:00 »

I haven't seen the film in question; however I grew up on the marvellous French films of the mid-90s. For a few years there there was a whole run of stunning, beautifully humanist films heavily influenced by British "kitchen sink" films such as those of Ken Loach, but interpreted in a particularly French way. Films such as It All Starts Today, the Dream Life of Angels, A La Place du Couer (based on the novel If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin) an Western. Recently there seems to have been a welcome return in France to this strain of film-making, with such terrific films as I've Loved You So Long, the Class, Hunting and Gathering, and the Secret of the Grain.

Sorry, I don't actually have much useful to contribute by way of discussion, but these films mean so much to me.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2010, 10:38 »

the only French movie I can think of off the top of my head is Amelie, and that's one of my all time favorite movies so....I dunno.

also, I saw this movie on TCM the other day called Bonjour Tristesse or something like that and it was pretty sweet. It's actually an American movie (c 1958) but I think it was made by French people; it takes place in France and it definitely has that relaxed, French vibe throughout.

It's basically a silly soap opera in movie format, but visually it's very pretty and it's got some decent unintentional comedy here and there.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2010, 11:26 »

Bonjour Tristesse, based on the novel by Francoise Sagan.  It was a delightful movie.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2010, 11:32 »

Yup, that's the one!

gosh that Jean Seberg is one pretty lady
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jul 2010, 21:44 »

they prefer to hint rather than spell out every detail.

This may have been in French but it was made by an Austrian so it's not an example of French film making.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2010, 00:59 »

True, although I'd argue he borrowed a little more from French film-making than simply the language the script's in.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"
Pages: [1]   Go Up