THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Short Film/"documentary"(?)  (Read 2162 times)

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Short Film/"documentary"(?)
« on: 07 Jul 2010, 12:42 »

My friends and I went to a tea party rally on the 5th.  I went along to film with my new camera.  I'm still pretty new to film, etc, and editing, so I was excited for the opportunity to have something to work with.

Feel free to give whatever input.  I'm not sure if this is the right place to post something like this, but it made sense, if there's any issues I can move it/take it down.

Also, it's obviously a little politically charged.  I went in as a completely neutral party and I did my best to not make anything judgmental.  Just an FYI.  I'm not looking for any sort of a politically charged debate, just people to let me know what they think of the "work." 

http://vimeo.com/13147524

Thanks!

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: Short Film/"documentary"(?)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2010, 01:04 »

Very well done. The editing was smooth in that I didn't notice it, the camera work was solid, and aside from a few wind issues, the sound was clear and well balanced throughout. I'm not sure what was up with the aspect ratio, though, whether that happened in editing/conversion, or whether the site did it to your video. This can be a pain in the ass depending on the software used, etc.

I think everybody is trying to get a handle of what works for citizen reporting as far as technical matters go, but I felt this was an effective piece overall, both technically, and as far as getting your POV across. In my TV production classes, we had to follow a stricter set of "rules" as far as format, but there really are no rules for this other than be effective, so not much for me to say on this point.

While not getting into the specifics of the politics, I think considering that your group had a POV going in (one I share, so consider me somewhat biased in my criticism), you did do a good job of not just making it a hatchet job. I'm sure you saw in editing that it would have been really easy to make the opposition sound even worse than it did. You got soundbites from both officials and followers of the movement, and gave each bit some length for context (something this format allows freedom for, whereas TV news has to really cut those quotes down to a bare minimum).

So, thumbs up, would watch more from you.

Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Re: Short Film/"documentary"(?)
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2010, 06:22 »

Yeah, the only thing I'm disappointed with is the ratio.  I ran into a few problems using the mpeg streamline program since it was my first time using it, so I think I may have messed something up in the conversion (but after several hours making mistakes on how to convert I unfortunately got a little lazy with it).

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up