THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon Age 2: Fuckin' Bitches, Stabbin' Dragons  (Read 165678 times)

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
Re: Dragon Age 2: Fuckin' Bitches, Stabbin' Dragons
« Reply #250 on: 20 Feb 2011, 01:36 »

...at this point my level one character will be so overladen with bonus/preorder/special items that they will be barely able to move.  I think his backstory will be that he stole all the stuff off the battlefield after the big battle from Dragon Age 1 finished.

The Templars in Lothering must have been more pimped out than my Grey Warden... O_o

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #251 on: 21 Feb 2011, 12:17 »

Microsoft is pretty shitty, if you don't have a Gold account you have to wait an extra week for the demo and my computer is still broken.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 13:20 by Tom »

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #252 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:09 »

Why I am going to get it on PC, and play it there then download it onto XBOX.

And yeah it is shitty.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #253 on: 21 Feb 2011, 21:07 »

The demo will be locked on Normal difficulty. Inexplicable? Hardly.
We chose to set the game at the default, or normal, difficulty. This prevents people from accidentally setting the difficulty too easy or too hard. We do not want to give people the wrong impression about combat by having them accidentally setting it to nightmare and then choosing not to buy as the demo was too hard to play.

We trust that our fans are smart enough to know that if the demo seems good but a tad easy, they can always choose to increase the difficulty in the real game.
I can't figure out how that's worth the effort to implement. I think it might be a joke-y callback to the friendly fire storm-in-a-teacup.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 21:10 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #254 on: 22 Feb 2011, 01:46 »

who sets the difficulty to nightmare by accident without knowing what they're doing?

EDIT: Oh, wait, I once set Oblivion's difficulty slider to maximum and forgot about it, and went on to complain that the leveling system broke that game by making it too hard. So I guess this can happen,
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #255 on: 22 Feb 2011, 15:08 »

downloaded the demo for this before I left for work today even though I'm pretty sure I don't care.

I'll try to check it out when I get home, but I might just say fuck it because I just bought Two Worlds 2 and it's blowing my mind.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #256 on: 22 Feb 2011, 15:27 »

The demo will be locked on Normal difficulty. Inexplicable? Hardly.

dead space 2's demo was locked there too
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ackblom12

« Reply #257 on: 22 Feb 2011, 15:36 »

I find that to be the silliest thing to be puzzled by or complain about.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #258 on: 22 Feb 2011, 15:52 »

It's a pretty standard balancing measure. I just don't know why they keep on with this "we must protect gamers from themselves" thing. Maybe they have data that shows accidental difficulty adjustment is a common issue?

Anybody played the demo yet? I just had it downloaded but I can't play it cuz of SWANS YEAHHHH
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Josefbugman

« Reply #259 on: 22 Feb 2011, 16:34 »

Having to play it on the PC because I have no gold account, but its quite a lot of fun. The combat is a lot more fun and a lot more frantic. Even at this sort of level I am feeling a little challenged as opposed to the grindfest of origins. The movements are fast, the abilities cheap and everything is cool.

Also, think I am going to go for Mage Hawke to keep Carver around.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

ackblom12

« Reply #260 on: 22 Feb 2011, 17:16 »

It's a pretty standard balancing measure.

Of course it is, but it's also a demo. Their reasoning aside, demos rarely give you more than a slight taste of the experience anyways and it is plenty to decide if you want to purchase the game with or without a difficulty slider.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #261 on: 22 Feb 2011, 23:44 »

Welp they didn't reach the million download mark.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

cyro

« Reply #262 on: 23 Feb 2011, 00:38 »

You realise that it's open till the 1st, right?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #263 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:45 »

oh my god all the character designs are so instantly hateable!? what the hell have they done to flemeth oh my god

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #264 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:12 »

oh my god all the character designs are so instantly hateable!? what the hell have they done to flemeth oh my god
Animes.
The combat is a lot more fun and a lot more frantic. Even at this sort of level I am feeling a little challenged as opposed to the grindfest of origins. The movements are fast, the abilities cheap and everything is cool.
See I didn't get this feeling. Initial engagement, skill usage and kills are generally more satisfying and "visceral", but there's still that mushy middle where you're just clearly DPSing to whittle down an opponent's health. This is particularly interminable with ogres and other minibosses and it's just that endless *chunk chunk chunk* as you hack away. It may be that I'm playing on PC, where attacking is automated, but.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

cyro

« Reply #265 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:56 »

See I didn't get this feeling. Initial engagement, skill usage and kills are generally more satisfying and "visceral", but there's still that mushy middle where you're just clearly DPSing to whittle down an opponent's health. This is particularly interminable with ogres and other minibosses and it's just that endless *chunk chunk chunk* as you hack away. It may be that I'm playing on PC, where attacking is automated, but.

I imagine that will go away in higher levels as you get more abilities and stamina/mana and can just smack things around better. The auto hack thing is a little tedious though.

Josefbugman

« Reply #266 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:48 »

Okay I am just going to ask this now, what the hell is everyone's problem with the new character models? Why are they "hateable", because I just cannot understand why people dislike them so much. If anything I prefer them, they look a little more stylised and a bit more expressive, and I litterally cannot see what everyone seems to be talking about when they complain about them.

I wouldn't mind hearing your reasons, I just don't like it when people say they "hate" something and provide no qualifiers for it.

^ Also agreed, but when you have a full team and you are moving through each of them (as I inevitably had to do with the Isabella Chantry fight) I found that I was using an absolute tonne of the abilities and by the time I had used one on one person another useful one had opened up on someone else.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #267 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:54 »

You realise that it's open till the 1st, right?
yet

Mein Tumblr

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #268 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:04 »

Didn't like the demo at all. 

While the combat was more immediate and responsive it feels way lighter and ineffectual than in the first.  I really didn't like how fast it was and how it made me feel like none of my attacks meant anything at all. 

Another thing I'm not a fan of at all is how they only have 3 classes for the entire game.  What I love about Mass Effect is that you have like 4-5 different roles, and while some of them share some abilities they are all at least slightly differentiated.  I know that you can guide your role down certain distinct paths but I think I would have liked it if they'd thought up some new roles.  Rogue, Warrior, and Mage are just so basic and feel really bland.

As far as the art direction goes, I don't really know.  My problem is that this area is the one they've been showing around the entire time and I find it to be unbelievably bland and boring. The environment also didn't really seem to mesh well with the character models. 

As far as selling me on the game the demo did not do a good job at all.  I'm going to wait for some of the reviews to come out and see how the changes they implemented work or don't.  Curious to see what it's going to turn out like.

ackblom12

« Reply #269 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:06 »

I did enjoy the new combat, especially as a mage, though the beginning area wasn't a real promising area for combat with the severe lack of skills. second area made up for it for the most part. The main issue I see coming up for me is it's going to be a little odd pausing to give commands so much more often since the combat flows so much faster. I'll likely get used to it rather quickly but it is a pretty severe change from the slower pace of the first game.

It also kinda seems like specializing in damage for a mage isn't going to be such a dumb decision for this game and that kind of makes me happy Still will likely need to sprinkle a bit of CC in of course but this is better than the first game in that sense.

Art style I'm not sure about yet. The general character models certainly have benefited from it I think (minus the hilariously sized boobs) but this could just be colored by the fact that Dragon Age was not a pretty game in any sense of the word. I'm not surprised by Flemeth's change at all. With how much more stylized they are taking some of the other redesigned races and models she fits in perfectly fine. Not sure that I like her design all that much but I was quite attached to the idea of her just looking like an old crazy lady in the woods.

As far as the number of classes go, I just can't get behind that complaint because there are easily 3 - 4 ways you could develop each class in the game and they seem like they would fill very different roles. It just doesn't bother me that they didn't artificially increase the number of classes with different names.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #270 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:28 »

Eh? Specializing in damage was more than fine in the first game-- if anything it was kinda overpowered, really. Making lyrium literally earned you money, so there wasn't any mechanical reason to avoid chain potting since they didn't follow through on the addiction system as originally planned. And even if you didn't constantly chug potions on cooldown you could still crush opponents quickly by running 2 mages instead of one. Magical damage was really only underwhelming if you expected a single mage to carry the entire group's damage on their back without the benefit of potions. Even then you could still provide great single target snap damage, and as I said earlier, 2-3 mages was just a straight up wrecking ball since collectively you had the mana pool to do some serious hurt even with minimal lyrium abuse.

/rant

Anyway, I'm not about to pass judgement on the only-3-classes thing until I see how much choice you have within those 3 classes. Hopefully I'll be able to bang out the demo soon, but my download apparently got interrupted last night, unfortunately.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

ackblom12

« Reply #271 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:41 »

Ah see, I never found damage specialization to be all that great in DA when compared to going pure crowd control. Of course I never bothered with multiple mage runs because when I did try it, it just felt incredibly silly and easy no matter the difficulty.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #272 on: 23 Feb 2011, 17:06 »

In the original I'd run as a CC/dmg Mage with Morrigan there for additional CC/dmg or the old bird for CC/healing.  Alistair was the tank, and I'd rotate the remaining slot as required through a damage melee, ranged and rogue for detection.  Did me pretty well.  I've downloaded the demo, will give it a run through this weekend probably.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #273 on: 23 Feb 2011, 20:56 »

I finished the demo and the basketball tits really are pretty crazy.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #274 on: 23 Feb 2011, 21:31 »

as is isabella's fucking lip piercing

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #275 on: 23 Feb 2011, 21:33 »

all the female character designs are invitations for fans to draw them holding throbbing cocks and like ok the dudes aren't quite so terrible but for some reason the dwarf design i find unsettling though that might be compounded by his conspicuous and unnerving american accent

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #276 on: 23 Feb 2011, 21:44 »

I like that! Standard scottish dwarves are so boring.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #277 on: 23 Feb 2011, 21:58 »

I can't say I noticed the basketball tits until the internet pointed them out.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #278 on: 23 Feb 2011, 22:06 »

I noticed. It was pretty absurd.

However, the internet made me expect a much worse game than I played in that demo. So, wtvr I guess. I didn't enjoy DA1 really. I never even finished it. But I can see playing through this maybe.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #279 on: 23 Feb 2011, 22:35 »

How so? I didn't notice anything off about it.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #280 on: 23 Feb 2011, 22:39 »

I just finished the demo.

I think that rogues are really cool to look at but their focus on damaging one target kinda relegates them to Mage control and taking out archers and other low HP stuff.

But against like regular boss characters and warriors they seems really underpowered.

Like I managed to get my party wiped because I was distracted by food and I actually had a really fun time playing with the female mage character.  Like I managed to solo the ogre.

It seems like any character is fast enough to avoid stuff so the rogue's little jump thing seems useless other than looking cool.  Like I ran around with the mage and never got hit with an attack.

Honestly it's going to be a tough choice between Rogue and Mage.  One just seems really cool and the other one seems more fun to play with.

ackblom12

« Reply #281 on: 23 Feb 2011, 22:43 »

I'm definitely going mage this game. Though knowing my history with RPGs I'll likely make a couple dozen characters and eventually finish the game a year from release when I finally remember I never beat it.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #282 on: 23 Feb 2011, 22:45 »

Says the SNAKE MAN WITH THE SPLIT TONGUE!!!  Only Lies and Untruths from the the forked tongue of the Yuan Ti!!!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #283 on: 23 Feb 2011, 22:58 »

what's off about it is that she looks completely different and like just inflicts serious cognitive dissonance on me! it's just completely bizarre. i mean, in a movie or tv show i'm kind of willing to accept a drastic change in appearance because like a character might be played by someone else. but the way she looks in this game vs. how she looked in the first one is like so drastic but there's almost no reason for it. i can't figure out why an engine upgrade necessitates a boobtastic lip-pierced "edgy" version of the exact same character.

compare it with how they handled character redesigns in me2, you know? like you saw the same characters and they looked a little nicer but pretty much the same, right? garrus got a badass new scar but the first time you saw him he just looked like, well, garrus. with this game i like can't figure out why the art direction went to such gaudy extremes AND revamped extant characters in a way that like doesn't jibe with the first game at all.

and i dunno something about the dwarf guy just rubs me the wrong way i guess. maybe it's the noir dialogue.

i get the feeling that this demo really doesn't sell the game the way it wants to, you know? especially considering how, well, short it actually is, for a two-gig download. everything's condensed and rushed, and the fact that i'm not able to get a feel for the characters compounded with the like grating redesigns of some principals is frustrating. for what it's worth i think they've done the ME2 thing when it comes to the game's systems – that is, refined and narrowed and honed and trimmed away a ton of the fat. that, i like. i think it'll be fun to play. but there's a ton of stuff in the demo aesthetic- and story-wise that really make me furrow my brow.

ackblom12

« Reply #284 on: 23 Feb 2011, 23:40 »

Ah, that's perfectly fair. I'm so conflicted on the art style right now. I think I'm going to end up liking it but it is a rather harsh change. For Isabella I honestly didn't see the lip piercing as all that edgy considering they made her a bit more decorated in general. Mixed with the style of earrings she has for example doesn't exactly scream edgy, it just screams Caribbean pirate. It is still a bit odd how much they changed her, but I can only guess they figured if they were going to go with a more stylistic approach anyways they might as well go whole hog. The boobs are still absolutely ridiculous.

The only thing I can think that might bother you with the dwarf might be that he has a massive jaw. It kind of looks like the Dwarven head proportions might have been changed slightly, but I could be wrong.

I definitely think the demo was just kinda... meh for the most part. I liked what they showed off but I felt like there wasn't enough play time allowed with the actual skills and skill trees. Hopefully, they managed to pull the story side of things all together though. I quite enjoyed the first (despite quite a few flaws it is probably my favorite Fantasy RPG since BGII, though ME stil has it beat hands down in general) and as long as they keep things consistent in this particular game I'll probably quite enjoy myself.

Josefbugman

« Reply #285 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:02 »

I've just stopped looking at the boobs on female characters in all video games, its getting to the point of silliness now. Then again there was always Wynne in Origins, that showed off the limits of the engine if nothing else. That said, apparently Bethany undergoes "reduction" between the overpowered bit at the start and the demo section proper. 

@ Caleb, at higher levels the "backflip" thing confuses people when you jump away from them, though I am dissapointed that you need to upgrade an ability to make it useful.

I really enjoyed the demo, I liked the sound of all the characters and the new design I can more than understand to make the characters more distinctive. In origins I frequently had to try and tell what people meant by their vocal intonations, because the faces were those of serious stroke victims (my inability to read people in real life doesn't help). This time around people actually seemed to be feeling stuff and I could tell, which is always a plus. The dwarves haven't been changed all that much (other than Party member ones) as they appeared to be closest to the design's that were originally put forward for them.

Had a deal of fun and I am now looking forward to the game proper.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #286 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:37 »

Ok, so I just tried to play the game and the intro movie was fucked up and the camera kept looking atht ewrong places and the dwarf was standing up in the chair and the book was hovering about with a dagger in it.  Fucking odd.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #287 on: 24 Feb 2011, 04:09 »

Yeah and I got a little way after the point where you meet up with Aveline and her dipshit husband and got really bored with the "ANOTHER WAVE!" bullshit and stopped.  This is not a good demo.  It does not get me excited about the game.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #288 on: 24 Feb 2011, 11:50 »

If this "first the Legend, then the Reality!" thing is going to remain consistent throughout the game (hopefully not) they ought to at least introduce some uncertainty as to which is really accurate. Playing the same sequences twice would get old very quickly.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #289 on: 24 Feb 2011, 11:54 »

the new darkspawn also look really silly

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #290 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:08 »

I get a Ray Harryhausen vibe from them.

Josefbugman

« Reply #291 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:16 »

Apparently it doesn't KvP.

ackblom12

« Reply #292 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:20 »

That's not silly that's awesome.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #293 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:30 »

It goes without saying.

ackblom12

« Reply #294 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:32 »

For Isabella I honestly didn't see the lip piercing as all that edgy considering they made her a bit more decorated in general. Mixed with the style of earrings she has for example doesn't exactly scream edgy, it just screams Caribbean pirate.

Seriously though, go look at female characters in Monkey Island. She's a goddamn pirate.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #295 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:34 »

I'm thinking Skeletor. I've heard comparisons to the putties from Power Rangers.

They put an instakill button right on the chest! Who does that?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #296 on: 24 Feb 2011, 15:18 »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #297 on: 24 Feb 2011, 15:57 »

I feel so sorry for you, Johnny.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #298 on: 24 Feb 2011, 17:14 »

If this "first the Legend, then the Reality!" thing is going to remain consistent throughout the game (hopefully not) they ought to at least introduce some uncertainty as to which is really accurate. Playing the same sequences twice would get old very quickly.
That would be silly.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #299 on: 24 Feb 2011, 18:00 »

If the exaggerations are onetime things how would you explain these?

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up