THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lou Reed, John Zorn and Laurie Anderson booed by Montreal Jazz Fest crowd  (Read 17621 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

Dang I just realised I triple posted too, without even thinking about it.

Johnny C is leading you astray.

Next thing, you will be listening to Paramore.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

In Paramore's defense, they are certainly the best band to come out of the whole Myspace fan-farming thing, whatever that's worth. And they keep their much better influences in mind even if they don't prominently figure in the music. In terms of overall quality I don't particularly see much difference between Paramore and These guys.

Anyway, I don't mind a lot of avant-garde and I enjoy a lot of modern classical music, but this piece isn't particularly remarkable. Every member has individually contributed a lot more interesting music. The problem with avant-garde stuff is that the artist doesn't really have to apply himself to be successful - Harmony Korine can go around filming himself and his friends wearing Halloween masks, making improvised speeches about the vulgarity of conformity or whatever and simulate sex with inanimate objects, and it's going to be a triumph of art, because what can you say to that? If you think it's good or enjoyable, he's brilliant. If you don't think it's good or enjoyable, he's fulfilled a role as provocateur and he's still brilliant. You play in the abstract and you can have it both ways, if you can earn a reputation as an important talent (or con yourself into one). Lord knows I've bought enough dark ambient albums on Boomkat because the reviewer gushed about subtle micro-shifts in tone and the intensity of texture, only for them to turn out to be unremarkable, non-evocative paper bags that people talk about when they speak negatively of drone composition. At a certain point acquiring a taste can involve convincing yourself something is there when it isn't.

So it's not even the fact that the music is boring, which it is, but that the music was never the point. They don't really have to deliver anything. They have cultural cache that makes them untouchable, they're probably involving themselves more fully in their solo ventures, so what else to do with old friends with nothing to prove but deliver masturbatory improv? It's Phish for art fags, essentially. Has Lou Reed been anything but John Lydon minus the famewhoring and lust for money, over the last ten years or so? A retiree coasting on his mythical asshole-ness. He's got his place in the pantheon, why should he even bother?
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2010, 19:02 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

This thread is now just embarassing for both parties .
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2010, 05:22 by E. Spaceman »
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up