THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manga Style  (Read 2688 times)

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
Manga Style
« on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:04 »

I don't know if this has been commented on before, but does anyone else here really think the manga-style drawings are a bad idea? While I absolutely love his usual drawing style, the manga-inspired one just doesn't seem to work. It still has too much of Jeph's own Western art in it.

Any thoughts?
There is no sin except stupidity

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: Manga Style
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2010, 16:36 »

I think the idea that there is a "manga style" that doesn't work if it is influenced by "Western" art, is freighted with so many unspoken assumptions that it would require a thesis to address them, probably titled something pretentious like: Orientalism In Comics: Selective Viewing Of East Asian Sequential Art Through Western Eyes.

I'm not an Art grad, and have no desire to write that thesis, but I think that the idea that there is one "manga-style" is a product of selective publishing/reading. Manga (and manhua too) are drawn in many styles, aimed at many different markets and age-groups. Many are drawn in the style that Westerners would characterise as "manga-style", but many are much more naturalistic. Western art has been influenced by East Asian art since at least the 19th century, and mangaka have been influenced by Western comic art since at least 1945.

As regards the filler-strip to which the OP was presumably referring, insofar as anything "doesn't work", I think it is more likely to involve the fact that Jeph dashed it off for us while he was ill than anything else. There certainly is a sharp contrast between the style in which the girl is drawn and the rest of the characters.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: [1]   Go Up