THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: She blinded me with Science!  (Read 2362 times)

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
She blinded me with Science!
« on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:52 »

Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
Re: She blinded me with Science!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:55 »

im way ahead in there cause im alcoholic.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:57 »

gtfobitchimdoingscience.jpg
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Ptommydski

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2010, 13:16 »

For roughly four years of my life I drank every single day, usually starting early and ending late. My older brother, who sporadically lives with me, has been an alcoholic for fifteen years or so. I've dated and had relationships with alcoholics. Thus, over the last couple of years I read a lot of studies about it in an attempt to understand it a bit more. It's easily the biggest, most painful obstacle in my life and I always felt like if I could increase my knowledge, it might help me cope with it more.

Essentially, the main point I got from reading several studies was that there's an irresistible myth that alcohol makes people more honest or frank. Thus, the notion is that the actions of people who are inebriated are a true reflection of their character and how they would act all the time if they were free of inhibitions. In fact, tests have shown that the effect of alcohol is essentially completely random. The chemical imbalance it triggers in the brain and central nervous system is akin to a game of roulette where the wheel is the size of the moon, every single number is changing at random, you're blindfolded and the ball is a '79 AMC Pacer. Thus, as much as a cop out as it might seem, you can't really judge people to be acting in any kind of rational or even logically determined way when they are drunk because it doesn't work like that. When inebriated, anybody is capable of borderline anything. You're not you when you're drunk - in fact you're less like you than it's possible to be otherwise.

So basically, this study doesn't surprise me at all. If you're drunk, you're going to do all kinds of completely uncharacteristic, ridiculous bullshit because you took a chemical intoxicant.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2010, 17:56 »

Oh also here is some more different science.

link
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2010, 18:03 »

Quote from: Morons
But the researchers say the fact that the recessive form of the gene has survived in modern humans must mean that there is some genetic advantage in not being able to taste bitter flavours.

No it means that for some group of pre-humans there was no particular disadvantage that would remove them from the gene pool goddammit this is why we can't have nice theories.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:43 »

No research scientist would say that; it's probably some serious mis-paraphrasing.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2010, 16:05 »

GODDAMMIT SCIENCE.

Now creationists have more insanely underthought and misunderstood ammo.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2010, 16:22 »

Well I don't know, if one study could be taken in such a way as to instantly disprove decades of painstaking research I'd say it's good enough for me

You read the article.  The sun has an effect on radioactive decay, which means everything we've gleaned from carbon dating can't be trusted, which means all those fossils we went and carbon-dated are probably no older than 3000 years
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 16:31 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2010, 18:08 »

Have you seen what people look like when they get too much sun? By the time you're 40 you look like you're 200. Imagine laying in the sun for 3000 years.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2010, 18:57 »

Important things to note from that article for people interested in science:
But an entirely unknown particle could be behind it. Plus, this discovery could help us predict deadly solar flares.
...and every chemotherapy treatment would be a gamble
...But that idea fell apart when nuclear engineer Jere Jenkins noticed the decay rate of the short-lived isotope manganese-54 dropped slightly during a solar flare. In fact, the decrease began a good 36 hours before the flare occurred.
...the sun's core must be rotating a little slower than its surface, apparently once every 33 days.

Important things to note for creationists:
carbon-14 dating wouldn't tell us anything reliable about the age of archaeological materials
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2010, 19:01 »

Creationists miss out on all the rad stuff

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2010, 00:10 »

Freaking cool.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:24 »

I would watch that Bollywood film.

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:54 »

Fuckin awesome, but he's actually not the first! I can't do the search while I'm at work, but there was a man interviewed by BME a few year ago who had this done with a camera him and his engineering friend had made in his garage. Nowhere near as purty of a camera, but still pretty awesome stuff.

Actually, in hindsight, this IS the guy who was interviewed at BME. Fucking awesome.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 09:46 by ackblom12 »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
Pages: [1]   Go Up