THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox Arcade bundle $150 - Purchase advice.  (Read 5478 times)

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
Xbox Arcade bundle $150 - Purchase advice.
« on: 13 Jul 2010, 12:35 »

So the arcade bundle is on sale for $150.

Since I want to play Deadly Premonition I am considering this.

I don't want to use LIVE or download anything.  All I want to do is play some games offline for now.  Like Alan Wake and some others.

Is this a good deal?

Does anyone know of any good reason to pay double for the newer model?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Xbox Arcade bundle $150 - Purchase advice.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2010, 15:20 »

well, the new model allegedly has better processors, fans, and maybe an improved disk tray(?), so if you're going for reliability, I'd go with that. But that could all be hype and propaganda, I dunno. Haven't heard any horror stories yet, since it's still so new, but it certainly sounds appealing (particularly the quieter fan, that shit is annoying as hell).

then there's the bigger harddrive, the built in wifi, and the cool new design. Those things don't seem as important to you, but they might be in the future.

Plus, there are a bunch of really great (and cheap!) arcade games, so I have a hard time recommending the Arcade over the new one, but that's just me.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2010, 15:23 »

I have a hard time recommending a XBox w/out a HDD or internet also. That is a really, really fantastic price but man. At least 33% of my enjoyment from my XBox overall derives from the online features and in recent months that figure jumps up to about 75% considering how much I love Rock Band DLC, Netflix, and XBLA games.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2010, 00:50 »

The Arcade Bundle is nice and all, and one of them includes Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts and Viva Pinata, and I love most Rare games. But the smaller, quieter, built in wireless and internal 250gb hard drive with touch capacity awesomeness that is the slim is something I can easily recommend. If you bought the Arcade you'd have to pay 100 bucks for the 250gb hard drive and wireless each anyway.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2010, 06:31 »

Well I don't have Internet now anyways.  So all the cool LIVE features are not available to me.

I will wait.

I keep on hearing rumors of a $100 sale on the arcade model anyways so I will wait until that or until I can get a deal on the new model or something.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2010, 19:06 »

you can get the used Arcade from gamestop with a wired controller for 109.99 or a wireless for 119.99 right now. Any I think used elites that come with 2 controllers and 120gb go for 199.99.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2010, 09:26 »

There have been rumblings about an arcade version of the new model for cheap as well as a sale on the new model sometime soon.

So I think I can wait.

After all they just announced the collectors edition of Deadly Premonition so I think I can wait for awhile yet.

After all right now I have no internet and no way to use LIVE but that might change in the future.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2010, 12:44 »

well I think those prices are going to persist anyway so its not like you're missing out on anything right now, other than well, having an Xbox.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2010, 14:25 »

There is no special edition of deadly premonition.  That was just an April Day Fools joke thing.

So I gotta get an Xbox to play this game.  I must.  I have found the game that I will buy a new console for.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2010, 18:03 »

go around and ask if any stores have any of the old super-elites lying about. we've got one final fantasy one in stock we're trying to get rid of for £150 at the moment, it's the same size as the new slim 360 but comes with final fantasy and 2 controllers, and is £50 cheaper. it doesn't have the reduced noise fan but it does have the new smaller chipset, and it'll work just the same as the new one it's just not shiny. bargain.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2010, 06:11 »

Oh.  Good Point.

I will have to check that out and see.

There is also the situation that I can get a PS3 to play Deadly Premonition since supposedly it's in English as well.

I hate to start up the whole Xbox VS PS3 debate.

Never mind.  It's obvious that I am going to get a better deal on the Xbox price-wise.  I just need to find someone who is getting rid of an elite model or wait for the Slim Arcade version to be released.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199389/new_199_xbox_360_slim_coming_this_fall.html

So either a new slim for $200 or a older Elite for $250.  Or just get an arcade which makes less sense now since eventually I am going to have to get the Internet.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2010, 06:29 by Caleb »

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2010, 09:24 »

I hate to keep bringing this topic up but has anyone heard of any deals on the older models?

I guess the newer Xbox slim arcade won't be coming out until the fall and nobody knows if it's going to have a HDD or not.

So I am leaning towards getting an Elite bundle for $250 rather than the Arcade one.  Since some games need to be installed to play and fast playing and such.

So, has anyone heard of any better deals?

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2010, 17:08 »

it's no HD it's just flash memory the HD hole is empty.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2010, 18:35 »

let me put it this way, Caleb:

no matter what you buy, you will regret it, because a month later they are going to come out with something better and cheaper. There is nothing anyone can do about it, so you just have to deal with it.

it's a sad and idiotic fact of life.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2010, 01:47 »

I'm buying the halo reach limited edition console because it's silver and for £50 extra it comes with a second controller and a copy of halo reach, which i was gonna buy anyway so saving myself some cash. It looks deliciously sick, I can't wait until  September.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2010, 10:52 »

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/29/amazons-ffxiii-360-bundle-to-include-ufc-2010-and-bioshock-2-on/

It never ends!  They are going to have to do better than that to get rid of the older Xboxes however.

I would rather get a slim model.  The RRoD is just way to scary to consider paying that much for an older console.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #17 on: 01 Aug 2010, 13:16 »

Last summer's consoles contain the newer chipset that is much less likely to overheat. They changed it around July last year, so any console purchased after that doesn't get the extended 3 years. Basically it's super duper unlikely to RRoD anyway, I don't know why everyone thinks that all the old style 360s have the same probability of overheating and shitting the bed.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug 2010, 13:58 »

It really isn't that unlikely. I'll shout my love for the 360 and MS far and wide, but the fact is that RRoD is a pretty insanely common problem. I've sent mine in twice for it and they finally just sent me a new machine which constantly feels like it's on the verge of death itself.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2010, 09:20 »

Sorry to bring this up yet again, but I'm trying to decide if I should buy one of the new 4gb models or a pre-owned Elite? I'm a little wary of pre-owned 360s, what with all the reports of failures in the old models, but it's £30 cheaper, comes with a 12 month guarantee from the store, and is bundled with Red Dead Redemption, one of my main motivations for buying a console in the first place. Other than added reliability, I'm not too fussed about the new features on the slim models, so I'm leaning towards the pre-owned. Just wanted to check it wasn't an awful idea.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:44 »

get the extra cover on it for reals

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:55 »

How hey Gemm yeah you work for Game, right? And you think the extended warranty is worth it?
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:50 »

Don't get a 4gb model. While it does have storage, it doesn't have an HDD which some games require, so you'd have to end up buying a stupid expensive new one anyhow.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #23 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:25 »

it's definitely worth it on any preowned stock, and usually the price is low enough that you can get the cover and the console for less than the price of the new consoles. i mean it's a fiver more expensive than it used to be, but considering if your console shits itself you get another one, it's pretty sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up