THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 01:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: QC Forums Dwarf Fortress Succession game.  (Read 35362 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Re: QC Forums Dwarf Fortress Succession game.
« Reply #50 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:28 »

The miasma SHOULD dissappear when Lor's corpse rots.

(should).

I don't see how you can have cut off the stairs, unless you cut off both stairways? There's one staircase up from the lower floor to the mezzanine, then the original main staircase is good after that, and there's another staircase from that level down into the area around mine and Buttfranklin's dwarf's quarters, and there's an entirely seperate route up through the mine workings. Just remember that each set of stairs you build has to have stairs built up from the bottom and stairs built down from the top, and to link more than one level it must be 'up/down stairs'.

Also, remember that the doors to the outside are forbidden. Actually, I think I only forbid the door to the schisthouse right at the top. get its q menu up and unforbid it by pressing L (if you didn't know how to do that). Same if you want to get me out my room, though starving me is fine too if you want to do that.

Also, don't want to spoil the fun too much, but there's elves coming in a bit. If you want Gorgeconfined to last longer than a few years then FOR FUCKS SAKE don't try to sell them ANYTHING made of wood.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2010, 04:40 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #51 on: 29 Aug 2010, 07:33 »

The miasma disappeared shortly after, we're fine. Don't have time to play this morning, I'll work on the next update when I get home tonight from work.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #52 on: 29 Aug 2010, 10:21 »

Dorfing and play order lists updated. Remember to dorf people each migrant wave.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #53 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:29 »

I'd like to be a dwarf.  Specifically, I'd like to be the dwarf in charge of drowning the nobles when they get uppity.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2010, 17:10 by Muppet King »
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #54 on: 29 Aug 2010, 17:07 »

Okay, its clear here that I have absolutely zero idea what I'm doing, before my turn results int too much fun that no one else gets to play I'll resign my turn and let someone else take over, I need to go back to the drawing board and just learn the game more on my own still...
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #55 on: 29 Aug 2010, 19:58 »

Okay KvP you're up, my save game.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #56 on: 29 Aug 2010, 20:22 »

Here goes... Something!
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #57 on: 29 Aug 2010, 22:18 »

You have our support!!
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #58 on: 30 Aug 2010, 00:27 »

Okay I'm going to muck around a little bit more before I give this a crack. Like, another day, then we're cooking with gas.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #59 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:26 »

Okay I want in on the turn list and Dwarfification. By the time it comes around to me, I should have a pretty firm grasp on what I am doing as I made it about halfway through the tutorial in one night.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #60 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:50 »

Hope you're not too bummed, Phil.  Depending on how things go perhaps we could cycle back around at the end of our relatively-short player list?  If so & if you feel up to having another crack then you could still join in again.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #61 on: 30 Aug 2010, 16:34 »

downloading this now, spending too much time playing it after that most likely

definitely
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #62 on: 30 Aug 2010, 16:49 »

Radballs, I was gonna ask to be a carpenter anyway. Also he (me) has got just enough personality traits in common with me to be creepy
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #63 on: 31 Aug 2010, 00:34 »

Okay, so somebody explain to me how the loading of this region works. Where do I copy / paste it?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #64 on: 31 Aug 2010, 00:54 »

data/save/ just add it to the other folders, you should be able to load from it when you start the game up.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #65 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:59 »

Kharbabe, 3 questions:

1. If someone has a bit too much fun during his turn (i.e. boro), will it be cool to just start over from the last save?
2. Is it okay to use utilities like Dwarf Therapist? I know the saves should be done on unmodded versions of DF to keep things consistent from one player to the next but I think that this should be okay (someone please correct me if that is not a thing that can be haz).
3. How do you change Dorf names? I haven't gotten around to figuring that out.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #66 on: 31 Aug 2010, 13:13 »

:{|=
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #67 on: 31 Aug 2010, 19:50 »

Okay, starting play. I've just got to remember to take screenies!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #68 on: 01 Sep 2010, 00:04 »

1. If someone has a bit too much fun during his turn (i.e. boro), will it be cool to just start over from the last save?

Either that or, later on, we can maybe reclaim. Pretty standard practices, unless something happens that makes the fortress almost unreclaimable (ie. it's rammed full of Happy Fun Stuff).

2. Is it okay to use utilities like Dwarf Therapist? I know the saves should be done on unmodded versions of DF to keep things consistent from one player to the next but I think that this should be okay (someone please correct me if that is not a thing that can be haz).

As far as I know it should be ok to use things like Dwarf Manager, Dwarf Therapist, Quickfortress etc. in the same way you can transfer save games between versions of Dwarf Fortress running different graphics packages. As long as it doesn't fiddle with the raws it should be fine. It should even be ok to transfer save games from older versions of Dwarf Fortress to newer versions (just not the other way round).

3. How do you change Dorf names? I haven't gotten around to figuring that out.

from the menu screen where you can view an individual dwarves property holdings, thoughts and feelings or see their relationships (accessed by pressing 'v' with a dwarf highlighted from the 'u' menu or by finding an individual dwarf through the 'v' unit viewer and pressing 'z') press 'y' (you should see an option: 'y: customise). From there you will find an option either to customise their nickname (n) or profession (p). As an aside, I have been finding that customised professions and names are a great way to keep track of your dwarves, since I don't use utilities.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #69 on: 01 Sep 2010, 12:47 »

get better fagget.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #70 on: 02 Sep 2010, 02:39 »

Here goes some fiction writing! I haven't tried anything like this in at least 11 years, so bear with me.

Volume 2: Survival and Other Futile Pursuits

Prologue: A Sad State, at the Archives

From the Journal of K'veep Thosbutashtesh, Scribe and Acolyte of the Royal Tongs

It took eight years as an apprentice to the great Archivist of the Royal Tongs before our rapport started to sour. I had been as close to contentment amongst the stacks of parchment in the old libraries of the Worshipful Corridor as I had ever been. My mother and father were nobles (though dare I say, minor nobles) within the great Mountainhomes and I was brought up with only an academic understanding of the traditional dwarven work that was so beneath my family, and I was listlessly shuffled about as a child, between architectural schools and merchant houses, even spending a stint in a diplomatic procession to nearby elven lands. But my true passion was for the histories, and for the great legends of our people reaching back to the earliest days of myth. So it was most gratifying when I leveraged my way into the apprentice position within the library, named for that order which had slain the fearsome hydra Thelo Clodooze the Right of Apes and given dwarfkind its first triumph over overwhelming adversity.

My master, however, was a different sort of dwarf than I. He had been raised on the same legends as I was, but he was a common dwarf, and lived his life as so many do, covered in soot, eking out an existence under some frostbitten colony. Over the years I came to fear that he did not value the tales as I do. I'm told he has done important things, but I'm not entirely sure the position of Archivist ought to be given to a dwarf of such low blood! The hardships of his life have sapped the reverence and the passion from his work. He says that I hold no concept of real dwarvenness dear, when he is sitting on mountains of stories from the very best of our people! I brought the histories of The Diamonds of Patterning and their wars and said "Here is our glory!" and his eyes hardened in such a way that I had not seen before. I know now that I should not have challenged him. Low-born as he was, my family was unconcerned with my "petty squabbles" and without their leverage I was fully under his bootheel.

Last week I rose from my slumber to find a letter from the Archivist containing a goodbye, and a challenge. In it he wrote of his grand-nephew, some sod named "Buttfranklin", who had recently embarked on a journey towards a fledgling Vushite colony at the Western foot of the Tiring Mountains, a settlement by the name of Gorgeconfined. It was the Archivist's wish that I follow this Buttfranklin, and live amongst the Vushites for a period of one year. During this time, the Archivist claimed, I would learn that true Dwarven Glory was not the supremacy of the master axedwarf, but the struggle of the common settler, and I would see "History as it happened". Upon my return, the Archivist promised that he would retire, and I would take his place as the grand Archivist of the Royal Tongs. Naturally, I was ecstatic at this offer... A year of menial work to fulfill my greatest ambition? I thought my master a great fool.

With my destiny laid plain before me, I gathered what I could carry, and set off towards the Tiring Mountains.

Chapter 1: In Which I Discover the Breadth of My Impending Misery

2nd Granite, 1052

After a week of hardy travel of which I was not accustomed (though my dwarven blood proved enough of an asset to see me through) I came upon the site of Gorgeconfined. A small, two-story stone cottage on the side of the mountain barely registered, but I made my way to it and found the door unlocked, surprisingly.

As I made my way downwards into the structure, I began to hear the deep bellows of dwarves at work (which I would only hear infrequently in the Worshipful Corridor, from the common dwarves in the streets) and found Gorgeconfined in a state of full vigor. Fascinated, I tried to get the attention of the dwarves at work but they paid me no mind. They were single-mindedly carrying large stones, likely the byproduct of some mining operation, down through a hallway into a large chamber. I finally caught the attention of a sturdy-looking dwarf at rest, a fellow who goes by the comical nickname of "Danosaur", and he unfurled upon me the unfortunate tale of what had unfolded these last few days.

It turns out that Gorgeconfined was not some simple Vushite colony, but the compound of a fringe Vushite doomsday cult! I had arrived shortly after the time at which the cult leader had prophesied the end of the world, and his error of clairvoyance was but one reason in a litany for the state of disorder in the fortress. Of more pressing concern was the accidental breaching of an aquifer, which flooded much of the lower level of the fortress! Luckily for the assorted residents of the compound the only real loss was the flooding of a few modest bedrooms, and the unfortunate drowning of a dwarven woman, leaving the total number of dwarves at 14 (not including myself).

I have decided to fulfill the promise of my bloodline and take control of this situation and this rabble. I can't go back to the Worshipful Corridor before my year has passed, or I will surely face disgrace. At this point the fortress is in a state of weak equilibrium - we are not at a point of no return, nor are we at a place of strength. What follows is my read of the problems this fortress faces, drawing upon the input of many of the more experienced residents, and of course my encyclopedic knowledge of settlements built in the past.

1. Labor Efficiency
When I arrived, despite the sorry state of the lower levels, it seemed as though a majority of dwarves were inexplicably hauling random stone debris into an earthen storeroom on the fifth floor of the fortress. To better utilize the talents of our population, I have decreed that half of the room is to be undesignated as "stone pile" territory. I figure we're going to have so much extra stone from excavating rocky layers of earth that designating even a cavernous room would, to use an old Human expression, be akin using a bucket to scoop up an ocean. With the cancellation of mindless, pointless busywork, perhaps we can get somewhere.

2. Chain of Command
While the colony maintained a skeletal, informal crew of administrative officers when I arrived, in the course of my efforts to improve work efficiency I found that there had been no designated work manager, a vital role insofar as prohibiting and emphasizing variant forms of labor are concerned. Since it appears there are no dwarves present with relevant skills to do this job, I am defaulting the position to the most all-around capable dwarf on site, who turns out to be...

3. The KharBevNor Problem
...KharBevNor Mengrubal, the founder of the colony, who as it turns out, has suffered a bit of a nervous breakdown as his doomsday prophecy has failed to pan out, so to speak. He has not left his room in the time since then, which surely means he is slowly dying of thirst in his quarters. I briefly gave thought to leaving him to rot, but to be perfectly honest, at a population of 14 we are not even close to a position in which individual dwarves can be considered expendable. Besides, he is not untalented, even if he is colossally unwise in some respects (colossi are not known for their wisdom). He did a surprisingly competent job designing the fortress, especially in terms of traps at the entrance to the compound, and his mining skills will be invaluable. He is not very sociable at this point (he is near-catatonic in demeanor and is likely to drink to great excess) but he seems to be capable of following basic orders. The residents are not fond of the idea of letting this KharBevNor go completely unscathed for his follies, however. A dwarf who wished to remain anonymous suggested a change in name and title for the former leader, and it has gained a fair bit of traction amongst the populace...

A fitting name, I think. The lies that fell from his mouth have a foul stench indeed.

4. The Workshops / The Outside World
Now that the dwarves have stopped doing pointless busywork (for the moment) I have drafted a mockup of our workshop level and what we have planned for it.

a) I'm curious about the designated digging areas left by my predecessor, as before they were unreachable... I have told the miners to dig straight in there to investigate. I'm hoping for pleasant surprises. We could use a lucky break.
b) I'm having blocks and stone mechanisms crafted, for trap use as well as other purposes we may need down the line. We've got plenty of material for this work.
c) I can't say the same for the carpenters, though. This fortress turned out to be more extensive than I expected, which means interest from loathsome and murderous forces can't be far ahead of us. I've ordered the construction of wooden practice weapons and wooden battle shields. Also
d) I have ordered the burning of wood to create charcoal for our smelter and blacksmith. I'm not aware if we have alternate forms of coal, but we're going to need a lot of charcoal if we're going to make legitimate weapons and armor, and a lot of charcoal means a lot of burnt wood, which brings us to
e) Locked doors. In his fevered anticipation of the apocalypse, my predecessor sealed the door to the outside world. In theory this might be a grand idea, but at present we're going to run out of wood at a fast pace, and we can't find wood underground. Also our food supplies are bound to start running low soon, and the water management system being planned has obviously had disastrous consequences. It might be easier just to wall off an area on the surface and start growing. Perhaps the inevitable wave of immigrants that comes next will give us a ranger to track down and domesticate / kill animals for food. For now, I've unlocked the door and have ordered a large swath of the landscape to be picked clean of wood and plant-based sustenance. We'll figure out farming a little bit further down the line.

5. Building a Well
A local dwarf pointed out that the minor devastation of the flooding below us has carried with it an unlikely opportunity... We can dig down to that level and create a well with which to fetch drinking water. Food may be a problem but water almost certainly will not be.

6. Replacement Dwellings
I have endeavored to construct new doors and a few new beds to fill out an alternative sleeping area for those dwarves who had their rooms submerged in river water. With a little more preparation and perhaps an influx of immigrants, a military barracks will be placed on the first proper level of our fortress. I'll have to dig some protected rooflights to keep our troops adept for sunlit combat.

7. Brew alcohol
This goes almost without saying. However we will need more barrels and plant matter to ferment, distill and brew with. All the more reason to start scouring the surface for materials.

8. Miasma!
Unfortunately for us, the dead body in the flooded stairwell has rotted away, leaving a stinking cloud of miasma in the heart of our fortress. I'm not entirely sure if there's a way to rectify this situation, short of forcing all of our stubborn dwarves out of the way and letting it pass. For now I'm letting work go on as planned and hoping the time the workers are forced to spend in the cloud are not enough to do any real damage to their health.

For now, that is all I have planned. More is sure to come in the near future.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 23:29 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #71 on: 02 Sep 2010, 03:02 »

And in case you're wondering, the next wave of immigrants will end up with a custom name'd "K'veep" in it, along with our other new dwarves.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #72 on: 03 Sep 2010, 07:54 »

looking good so far man, how is it keepin' up?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #73 on: 03 Sep 2010, 08:50 »

The reason I was hauling stone to that enormous stockpile is because the whole fucking workshop and store level is clogged with piles of schist. We're only using half the furniture and finished goods stockpiles properly because of it, and without the space to store things we're starting to run into clogged up workshop problems. One of the things you should do with the wood is probably make some bins to store things.

Also I wouldn't waste too much time on blocks. Most construction projects can be done with simple raw stone. The masons shop would probably be put to better use building furniture to tart up the new sleeping quarters. At the moment probably the only thing keeping the dwarves sane is the sweet as fuck fully engraved dining room.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 03 Sep 2010, 10:42 »

Man, I was clearing stone like that for so long until I figured out you can make a 1x1 dump zone ('i', 'Enter', 'Enter', 'g') then select the area you want clear ('d' 'b' 'd') and just make your fuckers clear that schist out.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #75 on: 05 Sep 2010, 07:47 »

Haha, great update!!  Keep em coming!
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #76 on: 06 Sep 2010, 19:59 »

I have a massive thing of snapshots to upload and write up, but I've gone through two seasons and it's running me pretty ragged. I'm not doing horribly, mind you - our pop's pretty high, I just laid down a subterranean farming operation near the surface, and I managed to bump into the cavern without losing anybody. However I do have a lot of reading and projects to do for school this week, so unless you don't mind this pace (one post per 4 days or so) then I can hand it off to the next chappie in line.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #77 on: 06 Sep 2010, 23:28 »

Vol. II: Survival and Other Futile Pursuits

Chapter 2: One Step Downward, Two Steps Up
From the Journal of K'veep Thosbutashtesh, Scribe and Acolyte of the Royal Tongs

I've been able to pick up a bit of the slack around here since my last entry. We're not exactly "fucked", to use the language so many of our low-born brethren employ, but the screws are tightening.

First off, the successes. A particularly loudmouth sod whose name I didn't pick up suggested a rather effective solution to our stone clutter problem - Dumping grounds. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it is certainly the most space-efficient solution to our stone  problem. I've also begun digging out the areas of the workshop level designated by my predecessor, and it indeed contained many things of use - Gems for encrusting, cutting and selling, and gold for smelting into coin. However I don't believe this outpost will survive long enough to see entry into the histories if we don't have armaments - luckily enough we've found rock that can be smelted for copper. Not nearly as useful as an iron ore, but better than nothing.

I've also been working a bit on my calligraphy. It's coming along nicely.

I've also put some thought into our food situation. Obviously we can't grow anything on rock, and it would be too costly (not to mention undwarflike) to farm under the sun, so I've designed a rudimentary scheme for turning some of our sand-level complex into tillable ground for cave wheat and mushrooms.

I started off somewhat clumsily, having our miners dig east towards one of the pools before realizing half the space I had planned out was actually rock. It turned out to be a boon, however - the rock held a good amount of silver / zinc ore, which we may be able to use to create armaments. We'll certainly be able to handle any lycanthropes that come our way.

Creating farmable cave space is a matter of mathematics, more than anything else, so it's a good thing these sods have me around. Any given horizontal slice of mountain is about 7 meters in height. If we measure that out on our map grid, we can get a rough estimate of how much ground the ponds we have at our disposal will be able to cover before running dry. We want every square meter of our field space to have just one meter of water covering it - That way our dwarves will be able to move around in it if they have to, and the water will evaporate quickly, leaving muddy floors ripe for planting. I've had two chambers dug out, with a channel opposite the pond. If I've underestimated the amount of water coming through, the 5 meters of channel will be able to hold 35 cubic meters of excess water, which should certainly be enough.

Shite.

Well then, I'm going to open up the pool directly adjacent to the one I just drained. It's a fair bit more sizable, and I'm nothing if not a cautious dwarf, so I'm adding another large farming chamber to the two existing ones. A waterlogged farm is more of a pain in the ass than one which is dry but only half-usable. There is an abundance of such water sources on this level of the complex, so creating more farm space should not be a problem, should we need to.

That's more like it! I had to remove the door I had put in place before (it was causing an impassable backup of water in the corridor leading to the farm) and the chamber isn't fully converted, but we have enough to start a modest farming operation, hopefully one that will see us through the hard times. Three plots, one of which will be yielding Plump Helmets year-round, one that will provide Dimple Cups year-round, and one that will provide Cave Wheat, except during the wintertime, when it will bolster our Plump Helmet harvest.

I picked a smart time to bring our farming apparatus into commission, because soon after we were set upon by a great influx of immigrants. Given the greater labor force, I felt it wouldn't be a bad idea to start putting a little time in myself.

I have no idea where this rabble get their nicknames.

As an added boon, the influx was so great that I was able to assign a full squad of seven dwarves to militia training and duty. Our arsenal is pitiful currently, but with a little work and some luck we might not bowl over like an Elven child in a slight wind should we be set upon by enemies. Aside from Scandinavian War Machine, who is the militia leader, all the recruits were taken from professions we have little use for here.

Even with that assignment, it appears we have up to ten dwarves to add to our labor pool. I'll just have to acclimate and start varying our industrial production, I suppose.

We have a new problem. Elves from a nearby province have arrived, and it turns out the area we have settled under is held in reverence by them. They demanded they speak with the dumbstruck Pisslips, despite my objections.

I know not what Pisslips told them, though he must have given them some answer. They did not seem particularly incensed, and we traded a handful of rock-hewn trinkets for some of their seeds.

We are now caught between a rock and a hard place. If for some reason Pisslips denied their request, we might have to contend with an Elven war party sooner rather than later. However if he indeed promised them that we would leave their precious trees alone, I see no way that we can keep that promise. We are in dire need of forged metal equipment, and the only fuel we have at our disposal is charcoal, the production of which consumes wood at a phenomenally inefficient rate (1 tree = 1 charcoal, which means we consume two trees for every item made in the forge, one for the smelted metal, and one for the blacksmithing itself). Which means we either take the wood we need for forging and get maybe a few sets of armor and some copper weapons crafted before the Elves come back and start shite, or we sit on our hands and remain armorless and weaponless until the Elves decide we've been good enough tenants to let us off the hook, during which time any number of threats could easily slaughter us, and that's assuming the Elves will ever release us from the agreement, and that's assuming they haven't counted since we started this place, in which case we may already be fucked.

We have but one possible saving grace - if there is rocky material beneath us that can be used to make coke, we will be able to cut our wood dependency in half and buy time. I've ordered the miners to start digging. With any luck there will be something, anything, we can use.

To that end, I have created a shaft near our primary auxiliary staircase to dig down into the rock. I've also created a makeshift dormitory so the migrants won't have to sleep on the floors of our complex. I've realized that with every bed we make, the necessity of finding a coke supply increases. But the beds are as an immediate of a concern as anything else. Once we've explored the rock below us I'll see to making proper rooms for the migrants, but for now I'm focusing on finding coke.

Well shite. Upon digging, our miners breached a wall to the biggest natural cavern I have ever seen.

Naturally, the cavern has been cut with the the rushing water of the river that flows into the mountain north of the entrance to Gorgeconfined. From the spot where our miners breached the wall, the cavern is seven levels deep. Had I placed the mining shaft only a few meters to the West of where it stands, one or more of our miners could have fallen to a gruesome death. It also appears to flank us to the North, under our main complex, but the water seems to have cut many smaller corridors rather than a large chamber in that area, so we can assume structural integrity.

The sharp-eyed miners can apparently make out luminescent white structures down on the floor of the cavern - almost definitely the webs of cave spiders. Yet another reason to forge weapons and armor. I've sealed off the breach we made, but we either need to make an excursion down to the floor of the cavern with a well-armed and trained force, or attempt to circumvent the cavern entirely. In the meantime, I've set the miners to explore the levels we've dug so far. We've found a lot of precious stones and more zinc / silver ores, but no coke. The situation becomes more pressing by the day.

Yet more problems to deal with. "Dicky" Dodoksat, one of our miners, must have struck an ethereal spirit sleeping in the rock, because he has been possessed.

I've ordered some sods standing around to prepare stone blocks in case we need to

Thank the Gods. Now we'll just have to wait and see what

... It's not what I would have chosen, but then, I'm not haunting a solid chunk of rock, now am I? I haven't had the opportunity to examine the floodgate but it is surely of the finest craftsmanship. I'm not entirely aware where the laborers have taken it, either. I have no use for such an item... yet. Perhaps this spirit was trying to tell us something. I will be extra cautious around matters of water in the future.

That's all I've got for now :\ There are at least 5 dwarves without nicknames at this point, if we want anybody to be immortalized.

« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 23:34 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #78 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:52 »

I want a miner dwarf named after me.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #79 on: 07 Sep 2010, 15:51 »

I, again, request to have the dwarf in charge of eliminating uppity nobles named after me.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #80 on: 07 Sep 2010, 16:54 »

KvP, you should consider whipping up some silver maces or war hammers if the only other alternative is copper. Silver makes for shitty edged weapons, but the sheer density of silver lets you really fuck up lightly armored humanoid targets when used as a blunt weapon. I've had expert hammer dwarves send goblins flying rather impressive distances before slamming into a wall, scattering limbs everywhere.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #81 on: 07 Sep 2010, 19:33 »

I had a silver mace with an Adventurer.  He kicked some serious butt, with every hit shattering a bone and bruising an organ.  Seriously go for it.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #82 on: 07 Sep 2010, 23:06 »

Try to dig exploration tunnels in every direction from every level. That'll help you land the good stuff (flux and iron). Flux is usually below the aquifer, though, so you'll probably want to dig down though that. Make a shaft of some kind.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #83 on: 08 Sep 2010, 02:13 »

If you keep to the main bulk of the fortress and east and south of it there shouldn't be any aquifer.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #84 on: 08 Sep 2010, 02:34 »

I'll be an immigrant dwarf. Any job will do.

(I am enjoying the narrative very much.)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #85 on: 08 Sep 2010, 08:52 »

btw, I saw someone describe making a wooden tube and dropping it into a hole in the aquifer. Basically tunneling out the aquifer, making a big block of solid material above it, and then dropping the block down into the hole, before digging a hole in the block. Or make the block with a premade hole. On a similar note, I saw someone suggesting to make all your noble sleeping chambers above a magma pool, and sinking those rooms into the pool, sending the poor sods away too the depths. Anyone that knows how this works?

I think that the easiest way to make a shaft is to first channel out the part of the aquifer you want as a shaft (usually 3x3 to have plenty of room for dwarves to move around each other), get one or two dwarves pumping out the water (you could just run it into a tunnel that goes all the way to the outside, and just let it spill there, or into a river if you want to be very advanced), and then use masons to smooth the walls down in the shaft, since that prevents water from coming through.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #86 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:12 »

You should find some magma and use it as a source for your forges instead of devastating your wood / charcoal supply.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #87 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:48 »

Wouldn't we have to go through at least two caverns before we got to the magma layer? This is the new version of DF, Magma pipe / pool  is not a search option. We could get lucky! But I wouldn't know where to look.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #88 on: 10 Sep 2010, 12:52 »

Wouldn't we have to go through at least two caverns before we got to the magma layer? This is the new version of DF, Magma pipe / pool  is not a search option. We could get lucky! But I wouldn't know where to look.

Well, in my new game I was able to find a magma pool fairly easily by going down quite a few layers and digging in all four directions.  It may have been sheer luck, though.

EDIT :  I forgot to add that I started really deep, too. :X
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2010, 13:02 by DavidGrohl »

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #89 on: 10 Sep 2010, 19:14 »

Just found this coincidentally right after finishing Boatmurdered and Headshoots, so I am all for it. Haven't taken the time to actually learn the game but I would very much like to be named as the first noble to set foot in this godforsaken place. Because if there's something I'm good at it's sitting on my ass and yelling at others for not doing what I want.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #90 on: 17 Sep 2010, 05:43 »

What is going on with this.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #91 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:12 »

Jon is being a massive dick, also a douche.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #92 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:42 »

STRIKE THE EARTH

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #93 on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:52 »

If he uploads his save with however much he's done we can get going on with this.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #94 on: 17 Sep 2010, 17:01 »

FINE.

Sorry dudes I was drafted into a youth mentoring program at the Uni that is eating up my allotted Dwarf Fortress time. I'm serious about this. It is possibly the most inappropriate thing I've ever been involved in.

I'll be back at this.... When I don't have a life anymore.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #95 on: 17 Sep 2010, 17:06 »

FUCK YOU GUYS

Sorry dudes I was drafted into a youth mentoring program at the Uni that is eating up my allotted Dwarf Fortress time. I'm serious about this. It is possibly the most inappropriate thing I've ever been involved in.

I'll be back at this.... When I don't have a life anymore.

I'm uploading the save. I got about two seasons in. We'll just say a tiny anvil fell out of the sky and hit K'veep on his fool head.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #96 on: 17 Sep 2010, 17:37 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #97 on: 17 Sep 2010, 19:16 »

Why not just teach the kids in the mentor program to play Dwarf Fortress, then play it yrself?

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #98 on: 17 Sep 2010, 22:55 »

That really does seem like the best possible solution.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #99 on: 18 Sep 2010, 21:41 »

What now then?  Jens takes it from here?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up