THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 09:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Has Everyone Not Played Deadly Premonition  (Read 4336 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
How Has Everyone Not Played Deadly Premonition
« on: 20 Aug 2010, 05:29 »

i'm losing my mind over this game.

okay so deadly premonition is this cheap game, like a budget title. it was originally like planned to be a triple-a game based super-heavily on twin peaks. the original title was 'rainy woods.' after its debut at tgs they got a c&d from david lynch's lawyers saying shit like "look you've got to take the suit-wearing midget out." so they changed it around a bunch, added some combat sections (the combat sections were added last, swery's confirmed in interviews, which is why they're so shitty but more on that later) and released it as a budget title in america this year. it's received shitty reviews from like everyone, except maybe destructoid who gave it a totally stupid 10/10 review (thanks jim sterling!!! you're a cunt). it's also like my favourite game released this year.

here's what is bad about the game:

-the graphics that aren't the characters
-the sound mixing
-the combat
-the physics
-the driving
-the controls
-the animations
-sometimes you will talk about gruesome autopsy details while goofy sax music plays

this is initially off-putting for several reasons. the first thing you see after the initial (amazing) cutscene is a really shitty looking bunch of survival horror stuff, you have to clumsily maneuver your asshole character around with RE4 style controls grafted to RE2's agility, and then after you struggle through the truly dogshit combat sequence that kicks off the game you have to learn how to drive around this to-scale rural washington town in a shitty car that can't go more than 50 mph and lists to the left because your character has probably some kind of chemical imbalance that prevents him from driving in a straight line.

after you get used to that, and get into the dialogue and cutscenes and the game opens itself up to you, i promise, there you will fall in love.

i haven't had a game get its teeth into me so deeply in a long time. but the characterization and sense of place are phenomenal, the game pulls some really clever stylistic moves and the core narrative is captivating. the more time you put into the game - sidequests and activities and everything - the more you will get out of it. the characters have lives and motivations and it's fascinating to watch them unfold. minutes in-game are about thirty seconds real-time, and the characters work on a schedule - businesses open and close at certain times, people are only available at certain hours in certain locations, etc. you get a real sense of being in this inhabited town.

of course, when shit goes down, that makes it even more compelling. shit is happening to these people with lives, and it's your job to figure out what and why. the narrative arc of the game is really phenomenal, and worth putting up with the bad bits for. it's cheap - it's worth picking this up and finding it out for yourself.

or pick it up to keep wearing the same suit until flies circle you and the fbi docks you $60 for "stinky agent," refuse to shave until you get the most beard possible, drive to the graveyard and take a nap behind a shack, go fishing, eat a raw potato, smoke until the time hits midnight and you have to run away from giant dogs that drop from the sky, bash a zombie with a guitar. yr call.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ackblom12

Re: How Has Everyone Not Played Deadly Premonition
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2010, 05:55 »

Ah, thank you for reminding me to order this game.

I initially found the reviews of this game very confusing because it seems to be one of those titles that the critics and the players just cannot agree on and it interests me greatly. I mean, it has a metacritic of 6.6 and a User rating of 8.4. I'm used to the occasional difference but damn.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2010, 05:59 by ackblom12 »

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:13 »

I own this game but I have yet to purchase a xbox 360 to play it on.

I started watching playthroughs but I stopped because I really wanted to play for myself.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:47 »

Oh god this game might just have tipped me over the edge towards buying an Xbox despite the fact that I clearly cannot afford one...
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:06 »

Fucking games should come out on fucking computers.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2010, 10:20 »

but computers are the only place that Fucking Games do come out
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2010, 03:31 »

This game just sounded pretty interestng is all, but not something you'd buy an expensive piece of hardware to play.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2010, 07:23 »

you can watch the giant bomb endurance runs which are like let's plays but by like people with social lives

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:24 »

Alright, this game comes in the mail tomorrow. I am excited!

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:02 »

Ahhh goddamn this game sounds genuinely good as hell but doesn't get a EU release for 360 until mid next month.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2010, 14:28 »

To be fair, Johnny, there are people with social lives that do LPs, there are just a lot of people that think that playing games for the internet can make up for the lack of a social life.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2010, 15:39 »

i know i was being facetious. what i meant was that the giant bomb endurance run is sometimes actually funny.

ackblom12

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2010, 07:32 »

I have just started wandering around Green Vale and I have already experienced more surreal situations and conversations than I have in every other game combined. Everything from the happy go lucky whistling Greenvale tune to the player being York's multiple personality and oh god this game is bizarre and I think I love it.

How long does it take for me to become a stinking fly ridden hobo?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:22 »

Not that long, actually. And the bugs stick around in cutscenes and everything, it gets really distracting.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2010, 10:34 »

i think part of the surrealism comes from the fact that everyone else in the town is actually fairly normal, even the rocker dude who runs the milk barn. like they aren't weird or socially inept people, the only person who is totally socially weird is york himself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up