THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 19:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 30 August- 3 September 2010  (Read 135327 times)

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
WCDT 30 August- 3 September 2010
« on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:16 »

Dora SURELY isn't that insecure/stupid.   :|

Faye's just been out on a date that SHE set up, for feck's sake, and it's not exactly like they're making out.  :roll:
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: WCDT 30 August- 3 September 2010
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:27 »

Yeah, seriously. I mean, their bodies are a more-than-safe distance apart in that hug. This is, however, consistent with Dora's unpredictable jealousy.

I gotta say, though: when I got to the fifth panel, and then looked back up at today's title, I was momentarily concerned they were gonna kiss.  :-o

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:27 »

Dora is going to stumble in on them in a few seconds and freak out.

Frigging called it!

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:32 »

lol

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:34 »

snip
This is, however, consistent with Dora's unpredictable jealousy.
snip

Dora is quick to jump to conclusions, but once she figures out whats going on, she usually calms down and accepts the reality rather than hold on to her jelousy. The fact that neither Marten or Faye are wearing pants doesn't look good, but then she'll remember that they both live there, have lived there longer than her, and don't usually wear pants in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, the panic adrenaline should help Faye for the fight or flight that's sure to result from the epic shouting episode about to ensue.

Of course, if things really get out of hand, the police will find a catatonic Hannelore sitting up in the fetal position on their couch, surrounded by the blood soaked corpses of Marten, Faye and Dora.

Either that or a three-way...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:35 »

Frigging called it!
Yeah well, that snuck up on us like an dustbin* falling down a concrete staircase.

*Ash-can for USAnians?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:39 »

I love Faye's cute little lip-bite when she admits she's excited about the possibilities with Angus.  Very adorable.  And way to go, Marten's Penis, for breaking the tension.  Who'd have thought the way to calm down an insecure Faye was to show here some dick?
Well, Sven, I guess.
ANYWAY.  Yeah, Dora's walking in was pretty much inevitable.  But I don't think she's genuinely pissed-off or suspicious, just being territorial with her fella.  She's been no worse in the past when threatening other ladies who seem to show genuine interest in Marten.  It's just a... compromising moment.

...also.  While I hate to say this - and I'm going to sound like a 13-year-old Apprentice Douchebag by even saying it... ohGodDoracameltoe.  I know that it's the seam of her boyshorts, I know it's not what it looks like, and I know it's just realistic drawing to show the curve of her thighs, but... my eyes slid across from Marten and Faye and then I saw that Dora's midsection was in line with my eyes and then I glanced down and HELLO CAMEL TOE.  I'm a bad person.

Oh, and looking at the Twitter... did something happen with the bunnies?  *concern*
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:05 »

While I hate to say this - and I'm going to sound like a 13-year-old Apprentice Douchebag by even saying it... ohGodDoracameltoe.  I know that it's the seam of her boyshorts, I know it's not what it looks like, and I know it's just realistic drawing to show the curve of her thighs, but... my eyes slid across from Marten and Faye and then I saw that Dora's midsection was in line with my eyes and then I glanced down and HELLO CAMEL TOE.  I'm a bad person.

OH GOD NOW I CANNOT STOP LOOKING AT IT. IT IS LIKE A SOLAR ECLIPSE! ... I know I should not look, but I cannot help myself.

akronnick

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:11 »

*Ash-can for USAnians?

I believe trash can, is the most widely used Americanism in this situation, but ash can is acceptable as a regional/temporal variation.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:49 »

Okay, F*** THIS. 

I'm not one to usually spit disparaging remarks if I can help it.  But dammit, that is IT.  Done.  Finito. 

I am SICK of Dora and her paranoid bulls***.  I don't care if she DOES calm down after a few seconds, I don't care if she's being "territorial."  If after all this time, after everything they've all been through, after moving into the apartment - after ALL THAT, to still be her paranoid, ultra-possessive self?  F*** THAT. 

She makes me SO MAD.  Ugh.  Ridiculous. 
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

akronnick

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2010, 04:04 »

I agree, no one special, if Dora gives Marten anything more than an "Oh, okay, that makes sense, I'm sorry." reaction, he needs to call her on her bullshit.

He and (especially) Faye did absolutely nothing wrong, and if Dora can't deal with Marten's relationship, which predates her and Marten, with Faye, who is supposedly her best friend, then Marten should seriously consider whether he should DTMFA.

And if Dora really is that insecure, maybe she needs some time with Dr. Corrine.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2010, 04:23 »

While everyone's going off on how unrealistic it is for Dora to be a little suspicious at the situation think for half a second:

a.  She is somewhat insecure about here relationship, no real reason but then everbody's got some sort of hangup, her's is this;
b.  She wakes up in the middle of the night and  finds her boyfriend and the girl he had the hots for in a hug (which we can see is platonic, but Dora doesn't have the benefit of our angle) and neither is wearing pants;
c.  She knows that he "Still has feelings" for;
d.  How rational are you within 5 minutes of waking up?

I'm figuring 2-3 strips of hilarilious misunderstanding, followed by making up.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2010, 04:52 »

Actually, I think Dora's kidding.

*Ash-can for USAnians?

I believe trash can, is the most widely used Americanism in this situation, but ash can is acceptable as a regional/temporal variation.

I've only heard it used for as another name for depth charges. But I live in the South: we be different.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 05:23 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

akronnick

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2010, 05:05 »

I've only heard it used for as another name for depth charges. But I live in the South: we be different/

I believe the word "ashcan" is a remnant from the time when folks heated their houses exclusively with stoves and fireplaces, and would thus need a fireproof container to dispose of potentially hot ashes. A cylindrical steel receptacle with a tight fitting lid would serve that purpose nicely. When not needed for ash duty, it could hold all manner of other contents, for instance, household refuse.

And before this thread becomes the Wikipedia article for waste receptacle, I'll just say that I wouldn't recommend using a modern plastic garbage container for fireplace duty.

Tergon

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2010, 05:57 »

Dora's tired and grumpy at being up in the middle of the night.  And while she's not exactly grinning in approval, that is not Dora's "No" look.  We've seen Dora's "No" look and this isn't it.  Besides, her pantsless boyfriend reacted with a guilty stammer when she saw him hugging Faye, and if someone feels guilty there's usually a reason for it.  There is a good reason she's not clapping her hands with joy right now, and despite the rage at OMG DORA HAET that I'm sure will follow, I honestly can't think of another response she could have reasonably given.  She's not a friggin' saint, let her disapprove of pantsless shenanigans involving her boyfriend and his ex-flame.

Also yes I am aware that I'm once again brandishing The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks at the fanboy ocean, and I DO NOT CARE.

Besides, how cheerful could YOU be if you were walking around with a camel-toe that you could probably taste?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2010, 06:38 »

lol
"He don' know me vewwy well, DO he?"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2010, 06:39 »

Frigging called it!
Yeah well, that snuck up on us like an dustbin* falling down a concrete staircase.

*Ash-can for USAnians?

Trash can.
Just another Joe like 46

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #18 on: 30 Aug 2010, 07:42 »

While everyone's going off on how unrealistic it is for Dora to be a little suspicious at the situation think for half a second:

a.  She is somewhat insecure about here relationship, no real reason but then everbody's got some sort of hangup, her's is this;
b.  She wakes up in the middle of the night and  finds her boyfriend and the girl he had the hots for in a hug (which we can see is platonic, but Dora doesn't have the benefit of our angle) and neither is wearing pants;
c.  She knows that he "Still has feelings" for;
d.  How rational are you within 5 minutes of waking up?

THIS, and Tergon's last post. Of COURSE Dora isn't going to react well to the situation. How many of you really would under the circumstances. NO ONE is that saintly, or perfectly reasonable (not even Marten!), and women HAVE been known to start making out with guys who've comforted them in a bad moment. So yeah, Dora's reaction is not at all unreasonable. So far anyway.

Now if this isn't resolved smoothly with everyone being in good standing with each other in a couple of strips, THEN I'll be unhappy. Until then, I'll just sit back for the couple pages of hilarity and both Faye and Marten stammering as they try to explain themselves. If only Marten had just moved in with Dora instead of vice versa, these situations wouldn't happen....
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 07:43 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Tergon

« Reply #19 on: 30 Aug 2010, 07:55 »

*lets themacnut borrow The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks*

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:36 »

Seriously.

WHAT THE *** ???

Considering how laid back QC usually is, this moment just doesnt work for me at all.

Its nothing but innocent hugging, dammit.

P.s.: Oh and yes, Dora is supposed to be insecure ... only I thought she would have improved a lot :|
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 08:39 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:23 »

*lets themacnut borrow The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks*

Uh thanks, Tergon, but as a hetero guy I am...not comfortable holding any other dick but mine. ;) Besides, I have a feeling it's not gonna help.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:27 »

"Garbage can" is also common in US English.

The ideal thing to say would be, in a tone of invitation, "Quick, come over here, Faye needs hugging". Marten is known not to be that suave.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:28 »

I am amused by the multiple variations on 'fuck' in this thread. Frack guys, it's not going to get censored.

Frigging called it!

*Ash-can for USAnians?

Wth is an ash can? I've never seen such an item  :-P. But yes, the only way I know of dustbins is Harry Potter. Darn you English colonists and your obsolete slang!

...also.  While I hate to say this - and I'm going to sound like a 13-year-old Apprentice Douchebag by even saying it... ohGodDoracameltoe.  I know that it's the seam of her boyshorts, I know it's not what it looks like, and I know it's just realistic drawing to show the curve of her thighs, but... my eyes slid across from Marten and Faye and then I saw that Dora's midsection was in line with my eyes and then I glanced down and HELLO CAMEL TOE.  I'm a bad person.

No, just exceedingly creepy. *backs away slowly*

Okay, F*** THIS.  

I'm not one to usually spit disparaging remarks if I can help it.  But dammit, that is IT.  Done.  Finito.  

I am SICK of Dora and her paranoid bulls***.  I don't care if she DOES calm down after a few seconds, I don't care if she's being "territorial."  If after all this time, after everything they've all been through, after moving into the apartment - after ALL THAT, to still be her paranoid, ultra-possessive self?  F*** THAT.  

She makes me SO MAD.  Ugh.  Ridiculous.  

My inclination is to agree with you and then start railing on her myself, having expressed similar opinions in the past and feeling that way now, but I guess I got a good nights sleep because I'm inclined to wait and see. Maybe Jeph is pulling a Gendo on us, staring at the forums and drinking in the hate.

a.  She is somewhat insecure about here relationship, no real reason but then everbody's got some sort of hangup, her's is this;
b.  She wakes up in the middle of the night and  finds her boyfriend and the girl he had the hots for in a hug (which we can see is platonic, but Dora doesn't have the benefit of our angle) and neither is wearing pants;
c.  She knows that he "Still has feelings" for;
d.  How rational are you within 5 minutes of waking up?

I'm figuring 2-3 strips of hilarious misunderstanding, followed by making up.

The last time this happened the misunderstanding wasn't especially hilarious, just the makeup and seeing Cosette at their restaurant. And this is the third time its happened IIRCC; 'fool me once' and all that is starting to apply. Again, Jeph may have Dora smile broadly and say "gotcha!" next strip, but right now it doesn't look good. Maybe he'll have them break up to balance Faye finding twue wu*dies under horde of shippers*

Also, A.: That's those who are annoyed feel that way. Shes' the only character that's made no progress on their issues.
B. None of them are wearing pants, they all just woke up.
C. And knows that they won't sneak around.
D. Pretty darn.

Seriously.
Snub, stop helping.

« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 09:39 by westrim »

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:46 »

It's time for Dora Is Jealous comics

wherein Dora is Jealous

DinosGoLauRAWR

• Not quite a lurker
  • Tigers also go LauRAWR ☆
    • My art
« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:53 »

Sometimes I hate when Jeph does this. I love his characters and this story to death, but in all honesty this is so needlessly out of character.
As someone who has a dora brain and does get jealous this is completely ridiculous. Marten would never ever cheat on her and Faye is her best friend. SHE IS NOT THIS PERSON
"the answer to #4 is A GOOD DICKIN TO THE FACE!!!!!!!"
http://nowherexbutxhere.deviantart.com/

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2010, 10:28 »

Dora has acknowledged that Marten will never cheat on her (The Hannerboob incident EDIT: number 1314), but what if she forgets that?

What worries me is that this is happening just as Jeph says he's introducing a new arc. May the two be unrelated!
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 10:32 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2010, 10:30 »

Sometimes I hate when Jeph does this. I love his characters and this story to death, but in all honesty this is so needlessly out of character.
As someone who has a dora brain and does get jealous this is completely ridiculous. Marten would never ever cheat on her and Faye is her best friend. SHE IS NOT THIS PERSON

Yeah, Dora will always react exactly the same way you would because Dora is you and you are Dora.  :roll:
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #28 on: 30 Aug 2010, 10:53 »

a.  She is somewhat insecure about here relationship, no real reason but then everbody's got some sort of hangup, her's is this;
b.  She wakes up in the middle of the night and  finds her boyfriend and the girl he had the hots for in a hug (which we can see is platonic, but Dora doesn't have the benefit of our angle) and neither is wearing pants;
c.  She knows that he "Still has feelings" for;
d.  How rational are you within 5 minutes of waking up?

I completely agree.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
« Reply #29 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:05 »

Also a little hypocritical tbh.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1592

It isn't even a close hug, but yet it's fine for Dora to climb into Faye's bed unwanted and cuddle her.

If Marten did that, Dora would break all his limbs.
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #30 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:14 »

No she wouldn't, 'cause Faye herself would've left no limbs remaining to break.

Sapnish

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #31 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:23 »

I'm just enjoying Faye's cute faces in panels 2/3.  :lol:

Screw Dora. Jeph has his reasons for making her assume the worse, and I can totally see the tables turning and Dora feeling like a horrible bitch in the next strip after Faye explains that Marten was trying to talk her out of freaking out about Angus. If she can't get over it after that, then there's clearly more to it, but there's no reason to psychoanalyze a fictional character's actions.

No wonder Jeph hates this place...

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #32 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:35 »

As I said earlier, "This is [...] consistent with Dora's unpredictable jealousy."

The emphasis is on "unpredictable." Sometimes she goes into a jealous funk, as when Marten mentioned offhand that he still sometimes thinks about Faye and even girls he crushed on in high school and she said, "You can go see [the movie] yourself. Or take one of your four other girlfriends."

Sometimes she has a minor psychotic episode, as when she menaced Cosette with a scary grin and a sword for daring to ask Marten out.

And sometimes she couldn't care less, as when Hanners charged into CoD all guilty over having invited Marten to poke her, and Dora laughed it off and poked her in turn.

Now I wish to emphasize I'm not one of the "OMG Dora's a c***t, dump her bitch ass, Marten" crowd, so no need to reach for the dick-broom. However, I do think it's an issue Dora needs to work on, because no one should have to go through a relationship walking on eggshells, uncertain how their partner will react to something at any given moment. If Dora predictably and consistently went into a jealous funk whenever another woman showed chaste affection to, or unreciprocated interest in, her boyfriend then, assuming he could live with that, Marten would know not to touch or be touched by other women, nor to mention old crushes in her presence. If Dora predictably and consistently threatened women with violence for so much as viewing him through peripheral vision, Marten would know to break it off with her ASAP, change his front door lock, and maybe get replacement ATM and credit cards just to be safe. But as it is, her behaviour is sufficiently unpredictable that if it keeps up--and personality flaws don't just go away by themselves--he's going to be more and more at a loss as to how to handle it. So Marten, sooner rather than later, needs to impress upon Dora that she needs to do something about it, for the good of them both.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2010, 12:03 »

I'm just enjoying Faye's cute faces in panels 2/3.  :lol:

Screw Dora. Jeph has his reasons for making her assume the worse, and I can totally see the tables turning and Dora feeling like a horrible bitch in the next strip after Faye explains that Marten was trying to talk her out of freaking out about Angus. If she can't get over it after that, then there's clearly more to it, but there's no reason to psychoanalyze a fictional character's actions.

No wonder Jeph hates this place...

Tomorrow: Dora Apologizes For Being Insecure comics

wherein Dora Apologizes for Being Insecure

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2010, 12:16 »

Jeph has his reasons for making her assume the worse, and I can totally see the tables turning and Dora feeling like a horrible bitch in the next strip after Faye explains that Marten was trying to talk her out of freaking out about Angus.

For some reason, I see Dora getting over the whole misunderstanding but lingering over the fact that when Faye was having a panic attack, she went to Marten for comfort instead of Dora.  It's not something that should surprise her, but it's possible she'll be hurt to have it confirmed that Marten is Faye's best friend, not her.  We shall see.  Due to her camel toe problem, it's clear Dora's got her panties literally in a bunch.

And hey, at least Marten fixed the "poking out" issue before she walked out.   :wink:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #35 on: 30 Aug 2010, 13:08 »

The only reason why I'd see Teh Dramas coming forth is that Dora is going into her own Panic/Stress mode over the shop. Sometimes people can do things out of character when they're stressing out over work. I, unfortunately, know this from personal experience.

I do not, however, think that it is something that will last beyond a few days (as with the Cosette incident - back before we knew her first name and her last name was still "Beauvais").

What intrigues me is what possibility Jeph has up his sleeve as a start of a story arc. I see a few of them:
  • Dora actually leaves Marten for a while - where she'd go is beyond me, though.
  • Faye leaves and goes to live with Angus - and Marigold. Hilarity ensues, but it doesn't quite work (and Momo tases Faye a few times).
  • Marigold ends up going on a date with Dale after losing a PvP online with his character.
  • Hannelore ends up going on a date with some unknown person.
  • Cosette burns down the coffee shop.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug 2010, 13:28 »

...there's no reason to psychoanalyze a fictional character's actions.
Because it's fun?

You can get a degree in psychoanalyzing fictional characters.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #37 on: 30 Aug 2010, 13:50 »

I've only heard it used for as another name for depth charges. But I live in the South: we be different/

I believe the word "ashcan" is a remnant from the time when folks heated their houses exclusively with stoves and fireplaces, and would thus need a fireproof container to dispose of potentially hot ashes. A cylindrical steel receptacle with a tight fitting lid would serve that purpose nicely. When not needed for ash duty, it could hold all manner of other contents, for instance, household refuse.

And before this thread becomes the Wikipedia article for waste receptacle, I'll just say that I wouldn't recommend using a modern plastic garbage container for fireplace duty.

As an aside on that, your local seed 'n feed should sell several vessels of different sizes of galvanized steel to fill this need. I personally keep a 4'x 2' oval for receiving incoming wood, and a nice 2' tall round for the outgoing ash.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Sapnish

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #38 on: 30 Aug 2010, 14:09 »

What intrigues me is what possibility Jeph has up his sleeve as a start of a story arc. I see a few of them:
  • Dora actually leaves Marten for a while - where she'd go is beyond me, though.
  • Faye leaves and goes to live with Angus - and Marigold. Hilarity ensues, but it doesn't quite work (and Momo tases Faye a few times).
  • Marigold ends up going on a date with Dale after losing a PvP online with his character.
  • Hannelore ends up going on a date with some unknown person.
  • Cosette burns down the coffee shop.

My vote goes to #5 as Most Likely To Occur.

Also, I was feeling grumpy this morning for outside reasons. Ignore my previous inability to cope with normal discussion forum behavior. :-/ Omg doras such a crazy b!tch and iz going to leave marten its so obvious lol faye saw martens weiner hurr hurr hurr

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #39 on: 30 Aug 2010, 14:29 »

Well, I'm glad everything's back to normal, Sapnish...

And after all the psychotic analysis, I'm just going to lie back, wait and see. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DorkRawk

• Not quite a lurker
    • Dinosaurs Eat Everybody
« Reply #40 on: 30 Aug 2010, 15:20 »

Yea, this seems pretty far fetched to start Dora jealousy drama.  It seems like an easy explanation of innocence, but I could see it leading towards Fay getting her own place.
Mount Saint Awesome - a comic about rock and roll and everything else
The American Autumn (my band)
Dinosaurs Eat Everybody

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #41 on: 30 Aug 2010, 16:27 »

an obvious revelation:  those of us who have suffered at a RL woman's ugly conclusion-jumping will tend to be the ones bothered by Dora's drama...   [Yes, it was obviously headed for us like a trashcan down concrete stairs, it's like the perfect next move in tonight's little show.  After even I  anticipated it, it would have been disappointing for Jeph to pass it up.]

and (I can't leave well enough alone) i personally lump this with Faye's equally unnecessary shock/drama/kill/dump/banish of Sven, for just being Sven.  Could she (and Dora and others) accept Sven's guilty and confessed transgression, or is complete, absolute physical monogamy even higher than God?  (go ahead; smite me)

(Yeah, still bothered by that, and all the subsequent Sven-hating. Suddenly roles were reversed, and I was the one identifying & defending the Svenwhore. Life is funny.]
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 16:47 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #42 on: 30 Aug 2010, 16:37 »

Because it's fun?

You certainly can. Not that I know anyone who would stoop so low <whistles>.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2010, 17:08 »

Because it's fun?

You certainly can. Not that I know anyone who would stoop so low <whistles>.

Methinks thou doth protest too much   :-D

As for the comic - I just think Dora is a little grumpy about being woken up at oh-dark-hundred and finding Marten in a clinch with Faye.  Undoubtedly she'll calm down when it's explained to her what's going on and do everything to encourage Faye to make it work with Angus

Even if that means taking Sven out the back and beating the shit outta him with the Stop Sign of Doom.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Kaziel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #44 on: 30 Aug 2010, 17:15 »

I'm a bit strange in that I'm kinda rooting for something to happen between Marten and Dora. Not because I want them to break up, but I figure we're about due for something serious to happen. It's been (by my rough estimates) over three months since something major changed. The last real major event was when Dora and Angus began... dating (though it wasn't really dating then). Sure, there have been a few things here and there that count as forward progression of the characters, but mostly them just staying on the path they were going down. I'm not sure I want Dora and Marten to break up (because... wooo would that make things awkward for Faye at work...) but I just want... something to happen. Maybe this will be the beginning of Dora working on her trust issues via some stern talking to by Faye (I'd say Marten, but that would require him to grow a spine... which he might, but I'm not betting on it...)

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #45 on: 30 Aug 2010, 17:35 »

The only part of this that pisses me off is the way Dora's expression seems to be saying "You have five seconds to make me not want to kill you" instead of "I want to know what's going on right now." Surprising, considering Dora's place as the second-most altruistic and understanding of the main cast, but she seems to have a tendency to blame Marten and Faye on some level for making her jealous. That's not to say she should blame herself for her own jealousy given the past between Marten and Faye, but by this point jealousy, fear and angst are understandable reactions, contempt is not. Once this particular incident blows over, Marten needs to break out of his role as the perpetually understanding guy and let her know that this is starting to wear on him. Having been in a relationship where I constantly felt like the guilty party trying to absolve themselves, not only does it breed resentment, but if it ends in a breakup it ensures that neither party will ever feel closure.

firewhiskeybomb

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #46 on: 30 Aug 2010, 18:35 »

Look- I've never been a fan of Dora- from the beginning. And this constant "OMG Marten mentions another girl/looks at another girl/another girl is interested in Marten" jealousy freak is starting to grate.

I'm not saying that Faye is the right girl for Marten- just that really, either Dora gets over her insecurities, or Marten breaks up with her. Because that understanding, emotionally available guy only stays that way if you get over your issues enough to appreciate him. Otherwise he either a. breaks up with you or b. becomes that whipped, insecure, clingy guy.

And it's not so much that b is unlikely, as that, should it go down that road, it's not a path that's going to be good, commercially, for this comic. Because if Marten really, realistically goes down path b, then he and Dora are going to alienate most of the QC crew. And that's bad for this comic.

I've been reading this comic out of habit for a while now. If we walk down path b... or some unrealistic middle ground... I've seen enough abusive relationships in RL. I don't want to read comics about them.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #47 on: 30 Aug 2010, 20:30 »

yeah, Dora's on a hair trigger. but that's always been part of her personality, and it's not going to go away overnight... especially not in the middle of the night.

I don't get all this clamour for a breakup or a flaming row. Let Jeph write the comic and see what he does with it, that's my thinking. Maybe he's decided it's time for Marten and Dora to have Words about her "YOU ARE HUGGING YOUR BEST FEMALE FRIEND EXPLAIN THIS FAGGOTRY" thing. Maybe it's just another case of Dora being grouchy and irrational and then realising it and apologizing. Maybe it's time for Marten to fuck her in the ear again.

For me, the fun in reading the comic is in watching somebody else's (AKA Jeph's) creative direction. Sit back and enjoy the ride I say, and stop trying to second-guess where he's going.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #48 on: 30 Aug 2010, 20:52 »

Eng. Lit.?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tergon

« Reply #49 on: 30 Aug 2010, 20:57 »

For me, the fun in reading the comic is in watching somebody else's (AKA Jeph's) creative direction. Sit back and enjoy the ride I say, and stop trying to second-guess where he's going.

Well said.  For the better part of 2000 comics Jeph has kept the writing at an entertaining, funny level that fleshed out the characters properly but didn't get stale or boring.  He has consistently NOT done what people in the forum have expected (and yes, I know, there was that one time you totally saw it coming that the crazy thing happened.  Shut up, I dont' care), has kept it going with unpredictable twists, and has made the story geniunely entertaining.  I highly doubt that he's going to collossaly fuck it up now.

If he ever looks in this forum - and for the sake of his poor abused psyche I hope not ;) - then he'd have known exactly how the rabid fans would react to this.  Namely, with screaming and OMG TEH COMIC IS TEH SUXXXXXX.  But he did it anyway, while openly acknowledging this is the start of a new story arc.  So how's about we just see what he has planned before the screaming, huh?  So far what's happened has been in character and made sense.  Stop with the bitching until that changes!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up