THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 30 August- 3 September 2010  (Read 133938 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT 30 August- 3 September 2010
« Reply #450 on: 05 Sep 2010, 07:40 »

Fenriswolf, my condolences. 

I still maintain my point, though.  A family relationship, no matter how bad, will still be there, even after being cut off. 

Even after the other party has passsed away. 

It continues to color your life, your decisions, your reactions.  Even to the point that acknowledgement, getting help (non necessarily professional) and, eventually the ability to cope and continue your life can come from it. 

Unfortunately, Noonespecial and Themacnut also show that, even outside family, non-family relationships that are "over" are still there, affecting you. 

Good luck, guys, and thank you for putting in your two cents. 

Edit: Platitudes removed to reduce the "ick" factor. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #451 on: 05 Sep 2010, 09:22 »

I've never thought about 'severed' family relationships being compared to phantom limb syndrome. But yes, even when they're not there, they can still hurt, itch and so on.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

semi1o1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #452 on: 05 Sep 2010, 12:30 »

Oh man, never refer to a girls tits as "saggy". Worst insult (to physical appearance at least) ever. Even if he meant it as a compliment. Although don't see how that could be taken as complimentary.

I think your right, but as a natural C/D cup, I know what it is to have boobs quite the opposite of perky.  But, there aren't really any better words.  Going to a thesaurus gets droopy, floppy, and flabby.  I do rather like pendulous.

That is a good word, Pendulous. Next time I get into it with my friend about how she hates he big boobs I'll be able to say "At their size they can't help but be pendulous" and not sounds like I'm insulting her.

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #453 on: 05 Sep 2010, 12:53 »

Hm...

I have been re-reading archives from the beginning and came across this one: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=254

We are just seeing a little HRP and I predict that Sven, despite his initial ridiculousness, will provide the insight needed on this situation. Hopefully, some Dora backstory too since it is long past due and could help explain all this Jealous!Dora nonsense that keeps coming up unresolved again and again.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #454 on: 05 Sep 2010, 14:40 »

Oh my experience with cheating isn't personal, thank goodness. I've just known a number of people who've been cheated on, some more than once, and seen how they dealt with it. Some have gotten past it and ended up in new (and usually better) relationships, others have let the experience affect their new relationships to the extent of ruining them (much like Dora seems to be doing), or choosing not to get into new relationships at all. I hope if I ever have the misfortune of being cheated on, I'll end up in the first group.

To fully get back to the comic, I think Dora's latest blowup with Marten has at least a little to do with still feeling guilt over how soon she swooped in on Marten after Faye officially let him go.

« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2010, 14:43 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #455 on: 05 Sep 2010, 15:45 »

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I actually hope there isn't much more to Dora's back story.  Of the major characters whose histories we know:

- Hannelore grew up on a space station with her inventor dad after his divorce from her evil corporate overlord mom,
- Marten has a famous fetish model for a mom and a gay nightclub owner for a dad, and
- Faye's dad killed himself in front of her.

I like that Dora doesn't have anything bizarre or overly dramatic in her past.  Also, even if it's something as vanilla* as having been cheated on in a previous relationship, that begs the question of why it never came up before.  It's not like this is the first time her jealousy has reared it's ugly head.  IMHO, it would just feel like too much if this leads to a reprise of The Talk.

*Been cheated on as well, not saying it's fun, just common.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #456 on: 05 Sep 2010, 17:03 »

I still maintain my point, though.  A family relationship, no matter how bad, will still be there, even after being cut off. 

Even after the other party has passsed away. 

It continues to color your life, your decisions, your reactions.  Even to the point that acknowledgement, getting help (non necessarily professional) and, eventually the ability to cope and continue your life can come from it.
Hmmmm. I'm not entirely sure how you mean that. Obviously anyone who was involved in your upbringing will have had a major effect in your personality and any "issues" you have, but that doesn't mean there is still an active relationship there (which may not be what you mean, but is how I read the first sentence.)

WARNING: Prepare for utterly un-QC related rambling. :D

I no longer have contact with my father, and the only influence that has had is to remove a major source of stress. I would have cut off my mother years ago if I did not wish to be around for my young (9 & 11yo) siblings. Enough pushing will remove your ability to love or truly care about a person. I feel protective of both my parents and wish them to be happy. That is all.

Bear in mind that abusive childhoods are both common and infinitely variable. I have a friend who was sexually abused by her step-father, uncle and grandfather, another whose father used to beat her until her gums were black; another whose father used to beat her mother until one day his "friends" beat him to death to steal his weed (his heart stopped; he lived, with brain damage), and another whose father successfully accused her mother of sexual abuse to get custody, then gave her back when he got sick of parenting. These women all have different coping mechanisms, and different relationships with their family.

My childhood was not so spectacular. In between teaching me to hate myself, my parents were encouraging, femininst and so so sorry for the way they treated me. We went to counselling sessions together from when I was in primary school. My mother would come crying to me about what a fuck up she is and she's so sorry for how she's treated me, and I would talk her through it.

So you see, I'm not 100% sure what your point is. There is vestigial caring in me for my family. I am sorry for how shit my parent's lives have been and want them to feel better. But I do not have, and am beyond wanting, a relationship with either parent. In the ups and downs of my upbringing I dissected my feelings and treatment to the point where there is no more to get from it. I will work through my problems as best I can without parents.

I do not see that familial relationships, despite being harder to break, effect you any more long term once broken than a once-close friendship.

/ramble.   :-D

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #457 on: 05 Sep 2010, 17:24 »

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I actually hope there isn't much more to Dora's back story.  Of the major characters whose histories we know:

- Hannelore grew up on a space station with her inventor dad after his divorce from her evil corporate overlord mom,
- Marten has a famous fetish model for a mom and a gay nightclub owner for a dad, and
- Faye's dad killed himself in front of her.

I like that Dora doesn't have anything bizarre or overly dramatic in her past.  Also, even if it's something as vanilla* as having been cheated on in a previous relationship, that begs the question of why it never came up before.  It's not like this is the first time her jealousy has reared it's ugly head.  IMHO, it would just feel like too much if this leads to a reprise of The Talk.

*Been cheated on as well, not saying it's fun, just common.

Not alone at all. I think having Dora's backstory be relatively normal(ish) shows that yes, in fact, normal people have flaws just like this and that it doesn't take some sort of horrifically unlikely circumstance to leave people with scars.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #458 on: 05 Sep 2010, 21:06 »

I'll hop on that train, too. Dora's parent's wouldn't be classified as 'normal' in my neck of the woods, but that's nit-picking. They do have a normal 'edge' over those others mentioned.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #459 on: 08 Sep 2010, 04:50 »

3. Martin cuts his hair. She freaks. Dora dyes her hair PURPLE without giving any notice. Martin is okay with this. Double standard.

Now hold on, it's not her fault Marten was okay with it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #460 on: 08 Sep 2010, 12:46 »

The two conclusions that leads to are
1. Marten is more rational than Dora.
2. Dora maintains two standards for hair changes, one for Marten and one for herself.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #461 on: 08 Sep 2010, 14:41 »

2. Women maintain two standards for hair changes, one for her significant other and one for herself.

FTFY. ;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up