THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC Featured in Deeply Problematic Article  (Read 6820 times)

bethcarielle

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
QC Featured in Deeply Problematic Article
« on: 12 Aug 2010, 18:53 »

The feminist blog Deeply Problematic (http://www.deeplyproblematic.com/) is hosting a series of articles about the female characters of QC.

It's a good read and honest (positive!) critique of the comic.

Today's posting: http://www.deeplyproblematic.com/2010/08/women-in-questionable-content-women-run.html

There is also a previous article about the normalization of disability and Faye and Hanner's role in that.  http://www.deeplyproblematic.com/2010/06/disability-and-comics-how-questionable_08.html

Thank you, Jeph, for creating realistic female characters!

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
Re: QC Featured in Deeply Problematic Article
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2010, 01:48 »

I'm a chemist and I spent some time wondering about "cis".  "What's 'cis'?  I get 'trans' and all...".  Then I got it.  It wasn't a strange code.  It was exactly what it meant... the opposite of trans is cis!  The chem geek in me asploded for joy.

Also.  YAY JEPH!

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2010, 06:03 »

When I read cis I was thinking German for c# and cos+i*sin. Cue confusion.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2010, 07:50 »

Yeah, I had to wikipedia it.  There's a gender role disambiguation, or I'd never have figured it out.  I sure wouldn't have though to look in chemistry! 

All I could think of is Computer and Information Sciences, which means I've been in education for way too long! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2010, 23:34 »

My favorite QC female is the one with psychological issues.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2010, 00:56 »

Is there a QC character, male or female, without psychological issues that hasn't already been eaten by an allosaurus?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:29 »

Dr. Corrine, I hope.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2010, 21:44 »

I dunno why, but it often makes my teeth ache when someone, having found a work of literature, film, art, etc., after praising it for what it does do, then proceeds to complain because it fails to service all of that individual's banner-carrying needs. You want a webcomic to do this and that and the other thing, too? Go write it yourself.

Of course, I am a GOM, with a capital G. (Yeah, yeah, I do see I capitalized them all. But you know what I mean.)
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2010, 23:42 »

But raoullefere, writing and drawing and getting people to read your internet drawings is hard.
It's much easier to bitch, moan, and complain about it, and you get the added bonus of wollowing in your victimhood when even the people who support you don't understand how badly oppressed you are by everyone and everything all the time, whether they mean to or not.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2010, 00:58 »

But akronnick, it's so hard to read a review that isn't completely positive or completely negative, it's much easier to just read things that say THIS SUCKS or THIS ROCKS and masturbate with sandpaper!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2010, 01:18 »

But wiregeek, sandpaper is so scratchy, it's so much easier to use tissues and a bottle of lavender-scented hand lotion!
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2010, 13:54 »

But wiregeek, sandpaper is so scratchy, it's so much easier to use tissues and a bottle of lavender-scented hand lotion!

But Tergon, I had to switch to scentless after I was rock hard at the old folks home!   :-o

/pavolvian penis would be an awesome band name
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2010, 14:10 »

But... but... but...

Oh, nevermind. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2010, 16:00 »

Pointing out failures of a work in what poses as a piece of criticism is one thing—claiming a work fails simply because it does not fully advance your personal agendas is quite another. I'm speaking particularly of the article examining how Hannelore and Faye are positive examples of disabled persons. The writer explains how they work well as such and how they do not. That is criticism.

Then, however, the writer goes on to lament that Jeph has no physically disabled character, and how she* wishes he'd include someone missing a leg or other body part, or perhaps someone who's wheelchair-bound. That's where the whining begins. Whether or not any characters are physically disabled has nothing to do with how well or poorly Jacques executes his work. The comic is Questionable Content, not Lookit all the Handicapable Peeples!. That's her agenda, and it moves this article from interesting, even thoughtful, observations straight into the Land o' Bullshit.

I do not think at any time Jacques has intended his comic to be some sort of flagship for disability awareness. Instead, he deals with the disabilities of some specific characters. For that matter, I think Jacques also covers parental neglect and its results in an adult's behavior very well in two characters (probably not the ones you're thinking of). At the same time, that neglect is the result, I think, of simple self-absorption. But, horrors, Jacques doesn't include a character who's scarred because one or both parents is a philanderer or, worse a child abuser. If he's going to deal with these issues at all, shouldn't I bitch that Questionable Content ought to present the entire spectrum?

No, because, again, that is utter nonsense. My job as a critic is to acknowledge where Jacques succeeds and fails with those characters who present this problem, not to suggest how he can reshape his work to further my cause. If I were to do that, anyone with any sense should quickly sing the 'get over yourself' chorus to me. As I do to her.

*An assumption, I admit.

Edit: So I calmed down a little.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 16:31 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2010, 00:10 »

Yeah, I just read four pieces on QC by that woman. Did she give her name? Not that I saw, so let's say "that Deeply Problematic woman." Oh good lord there's so much "PC" agenda & obsession with "privilege." She actually feels it necessary to apologize for Jeph using the phrase "MTF" when talking about an anatomical male who identifies as female, hence the phrase--because it's not the hip new PC term.

:Grrr punk kids grrr:

And she is so fucking happy that Faye is portrayed as fat & attractive--but Faye is mildly just overfat & probably aerobically deconditioned, not morbidly obese, which undermines her thesis. She's all praising the "diversity" of mentally ill people, but then she's offended by Dora's creepy attitudes. So some mental quirks are protected classes (metaphorically) & others are unacceptable behavior? :Sigh:

Dora is supposed to be a little bit sick, that's her character! Like Faye & Steve are alcoholics, Angus is a slut, Raven is Ms Malaprop, Penelope is uptight (compared to the others; also "sane" comes to mind), Wil is a flaky romantic, blah blah blah.

They're imperfect characters, you sophomore! Don't think, "Oh, this one confirms the rightness of my bias that I don't need to take care of my cardiovascular health," & then, "Oh, it's so offensive that Dora macks on everyone."

Og knows how she'll react to Dora's behavior in the new strip.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2010, 00:19 by foolsguinea »
Pages: [1]   Go Up