THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 06:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fontsperiments  (Read 5791 times)

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
Fontsperiments
« on: 16 Sep 2010, 10:58 »

Thought I'd repost this here, for anyone who's interested and doesn't have a Tumblr account (like me).  Jeph's Tumblr post today:

http://jephjacques.tumblr.com/post/1132408253/fontsperiments

After staring at all four examples, I actually like #2 the best.  It's more legible to me than #3 and #4, and it's, hmm, rounder and sort of cuter than #1.

What do you guys think?

Fixed, I hope.

« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 18:44 by Heliphyneau »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
Re: Fontsperiments
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:45 »

#4 for me
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:46 »

from a first glance #'s 2 and 3 just didn't appeal to me.  So, I'd want him to either go with 4, or stay the same
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2010, 13:10 »

#2 is nice, but a bit too rounded and big-looking; #4's OK; #3 too angular; actually, #1 (the current one) is the best.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2010, 13:24 »

I don't like the size of the I serifs on 3, they're too long.  Other than that, it looks good. 

2 seems a bit blocky, the uprights are very vertical and the o's a bit too round. 

So yeah, I guess either 4 or 1.  The main difference again seems to be the serifs on the I's, 4 doesn't have any.  It also has more relaxed widths, although I prefer the curved tails on the y's in 1 to the straight tails in 4. 

So I guess original flavor for me.  Looks more handwritten, really. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2010, 15:18 »

#1 > #4 > #2 > #3

I just hope the Illustrator-made speech bubbles stay; the hand-drawn ones are okay but they seem a bit too wobbly to me. They don't fit with the rest of the smooth line art.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 18:48 by bicostp »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2010, 15:31 »

Drumroll....
  • I've always thought that #1 (Blambot Casual) is a bit compressed-looking and "type-y", but it goes pretty well with Jeph's "machine-generated" speech-balloons.
  • I find #2 more readable, but I don't like the way the comma in Dora's line "Okay, I guess that means you pass" merges with the "y".
  • Option #3 leans to the left, which always makes a font harder to read IMHO.
  • I favour #4. It looks less type-y than #1 and I find it easier to read. It looks better with the more rounded speech-balloons too, if that's the way Jeph decides to go.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2010, 16:38 »

Typefaces...why did it have to be typefaces...

*bows head*

*grumbles*

*walks away*
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2010, 17:10 »

I'll just add to the chorus: 1 is still the best IMNSHO; 2 and 3 suck rocks; 4 is reasonable for a replacement to 1 if it absolutely must be done, though I'd still prefer 1 as a font.

And HIIN: need to fixy your linky. http://jephjacques.tumblr.com/post/1132408253/fontsperiments
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2010, 18:46 »

I'll just add to the chorus: 1 is still the best IMNSHO; 2 and 3 suck rocks; 4 is reasonable for a replacement to 1 if it absolutely must be done, though I'd still prefer 1 as a font.

And HIIN: need to fixy your linky. http://jephjacques.tumblr.com/post/1132408253/fontsperiments

Bah, I could have sworn the link was working when I posted it.   :oops:  Sorry guys.  And thanks, jwhouk, for telling me.   :-)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2010, 18:53 »

Drumroll....
  • I've always thought that #1 (Blambot Casual) is a bit compressed-looking and "type-y", but it goes pretty well with Jeph's "machine-generated" speech-balloons.
  • I find #2 more readable, but I don't like the way the comma in Dora's line "Okay, I guess that means you pass" merges with the "y".
  • Option #3 leans to the left, which always makes a font harder to read IMHO.
  • I favour #4. It looks less type-y than #1 and I find it easier to read. It looks better with the more rounded speech-balloons too, if that's the way Jeph decides to go.
It is amazing how close this is to my thoughts on the matter, to the point of being effectively word-for-word regarding #2.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

sieckanddestroy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2010, 21:30 »

I must express my distaste for this new font...although I guess I'll get used to it.
Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach or Rorschach pretending to be me?

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2010, 23:16 »

Didn't take me four days, I didn't even notice the change until I read Jeph's twitter and looked at it again.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2010, 03:53 »

i'm partial to #4.

not a fan of the hand drawn bubbles though. i find they distract from the artwork abit, as opposed to the more uniform cg ones. after awhile though, i'm sure i'll get used to them & jeph will get better at them, so it doesn't matter all that much.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2010, 16:56 »

Thanks for laying them out side by side.
I've done mucho typesetting and font selection myself, and this is the gist of all i've learned:  (oversimplified, of course)

I find #2 significantly EASIER TO READ, and that is more and more important when you've spent too many hours at computers, and as we age...  ...  

« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2010, 09:13 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2010, 20:47 »

I like 1, then 3, then 4, then 2.

I'm sure I'll get used to whatever Jeph decides on, but I wouldn't change it if I were him.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.
Pages: [1]   Go Up