THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice Google in: The Chronicles of Ridiculous  (Read 3392 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Voice Google in: The Chronicles of Ridiculous
« on: 24 Aug 2010, 20:58 »

So as per the instructions of one Paul F. Tompkins, I have started using Google Voice with my phone. And it's a huge hassle!

BUT

When someone leaves you a voicemail, it will email you an incredibly mangled "transcript" of the message. They are very humorous! If you're not opposed to the fun, give it a shot. You can call me if you like (if you don't already have my #, check Facebook or PM) and I will post the transcripts, or you can do it yourself if you're so inclined.

Here is the Google Voice translation of the back cover blurb on my edition of Marcuse's The One-Dimensional Man:
Really  published  in  1964,  one  dimensional  man  quickly  became  one  of  the  most  important.  Text,  any  incident  decade  of  radical  political  change  the  second  Ixion  newly  introduced  by  Marcus  dollar  mark,  who's  a  scholar.  Douglas,  Keller,  presents.  Mark  Tuesdays  best  selling  work  to  another  generation  of  readers  the  context  of  contemporary  unit.  We  want  to.  Mitchell  man.  Mark  Tuesday  sharp.  We  have  Jack's  what  he  saw  his  pervasive  one  dimensional  thinking  and  critical  and  conformist  acceptance  of  existing  structures  norms  of  8  you  had  used  that  members  of  Western  societies  both  catless  in  time  and  I  saw  your  mystery  cert  their  individuality  and  personal  freedom  is  the  oppression  of  the  technology  status  quo.  The  only  hope  for  a  free  here  and  more  happier.  Motives  existence.  Mark,  Tuesday  believe,  license  humans  active  opposition  to  the  Waste  destruction  exploitation.  At  the  heart  of  in  debt.  Advanced  the  strip  the  site  contemporary  world  by  May.  By  rampant  motors  and  watch  but  repression.  Mark  Tuesdays.  Hearing  indictment  Washington  scientists,  only  relevant  today  and  it  was  at  this  first.  
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 22:29 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: The Google Voice Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2010, 21:28 »

I move that the title of this thread be changed to The Chronicles of Ridiculous, starring Voice Google.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: The Google Voice Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2010, 21:53 »

Oh my god yes I love Google Voice. It makes me so happy whenever I get voicemails.

Quote from: My Wife
Hey  thanks  guys  i  gotta  tell  you  that  I'm  King  late  tonight.  Mellon  didn't  come  and  elections  okay.  Hopefully  you're  around  7:30.  Talk  to  you  later.  Hello. 

Quote from: Random friend
Hello Jordan, Just calling let you know you ask your dad. She's in my car. If you wanna give me a call. Returning to, gotten sometimes and I'll talk to you later. Bye. Peace.

Quote from: Honestly, I listened to this one and have no idea what's going on in sound either
So  if  you  know  or  how  are  you.  Pat  your  speaker  are  of  it  direct.  Yeah,  we're  right  now.  It's  he  was  not  available  and  the  price  purchase  or  stars  hunters  knock  on  them  you  a  quick  yeah.  Nice  night.  Yeah,  I  don't  know  how  it  will  know  her  and  renting  it,  learn  about  them.  Hey  listen  to  no  avail  them.  God,  hey,  hey.  Holter  if  you  are  other  person  but  listen  and  see  if  you  want  to  do  is  put  you  guys  something  funny.  Yeah,  hey  i  was  good.  Gonna  keep  cock. 

Quote from: My wife
You should come home soon because I forgot how much it all. I cross again, this is Patty, I'm on my stinking eyes got ours bill in it. You need to come home and do something about it. Bye.

Basically I never listen to voicemail anymore because the Voice texts I get are too entertaining.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
Re: Voice Google in: The Chronicles of Ridiculous
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2010, 23:42 »

Of course there's a Tumblr for this already.

Hey pattern. Did Dad, I’m just curious how are you guys suck. So we’re heading back somewhere towards the lives in a while. Skiers mill find you. Ciao.

Hey Nikki and Andrea. It’s Connor just calling to see if you’re going to borrow truck defense.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2010, 07:59 »

They use the same technology to create captions for Youtube videos with similar accuracy.  I went to a seminar hosted by 2 local professors who are working on solutions to the  captioning of online videos since right now your options are Google's auto-caption, or to create your own captioning file which few people will bother doing.  The Google ones are so bad I can't believe they even offer them. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2010, 18:10 »

I think the reason they're offering them is to use that vast number of entries to help build a heuristic model of voice recognition that can eventually start doing a better job despite the myriad of difficulties such a system faces to achieve any kind of accuracy. Get enough feedback on what did and didn't work, and the vast Google Cloud will start to become uncanny at some point. (And then we're one step closer to SkyNet.)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2010, 14:44 »

I think the reason they're offering them is to use that vast number of entries to help build a heuristic model of voice recognition that can eventually start doing a better job despite the myriad of difficulties such a system faces to achieve any kind of accuracy. Get enough feedback on what did and didn't work, and the vast Google Cloud will start to become uncanny at some point. (And then we're one step closer to SkyNet.)
I guess I understand that, but from an accessibility point of view it is just a cocktease.  If a video claims to be captioned I would expect some degree of accuracy.  You and I can read the captions and laugh about how off they are, but the people they are there to serve don't get the joke.  They aren't getting a few words wrong, it isn't even close.  It does advise people that is is only in Beta, and I'm sure that it will get better by leaps as time goes on but right now it is a joke. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2010, 14:20 »

My friend Aaron leaves me a disconcerting message:
Jordan Dan. I'm also okay. And yeah So if I don't know. So anyway cos This is the person that I can respond to go back on doing who work showroom with us. And you know if you have any money before even in the form and all that It was a so Well, Yeah, so I don't know what you wanna do. But on the But I don't have a text message. Santa.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:02 »

Yeah,  hey  i  was  good.  Gonna  keep  cock.
It’s Connor just calling to see if you’re going to borrow truck defense.

you guys I am laughing so hard right now
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2010, 15:19 »

myriad of difficulties

*twitch*
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2010, 15:35 »

I'm pretty sure "myriad" can be used as both a noun and adjective.

Definitely sounds better as an adjective, though.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2010, 18:44 »

Either form is hella acceptable.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:02 »

Myriad as an adjective? Huh what?  :?
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2010, 08:19 »

"there is a myriad of ways to do this"

"there are myriad ways to do this"

edit: see today's QC newspost
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2010, 11:26 by Wasteroo »
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

cheesepie

• Larger than most fish
  • the limit as cool approaches awesome of myself
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2010, 08:43 »

HAHAHA sorry this is too hilarious, I just learned about this google voice business from this thread and damn, i have been laughing so hard at some of the quotes.. I must get my hands on this
I'd rather be skiing.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:24 »

"there are myriad ways to do this"
This one seems weird to me. Probably because it exists only as a noun in German. oh well
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2010, 13:14 »

I have never heard it used as an adjective.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2010, 13:43 »

As an adjective it is a synonym to "sundry". As in, "Of the sundry and myriad options, the most practical was the first". Or whatever.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2010, 13:51 »

I always saw it as a synonym to "many"- just lots of many. Many many.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2010, 14:44 »

Well, yes, but it also implies a variety, I think.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2010, 14:57 »

In the original greek, it's a word used similarly to thousand, meaning 10,000. In English, it has come to be used as meaning an uncountable number of objects. According to the dictionary, it can be used as a noun or an adjective, (though I don't personally get the adjective use) but to claim that using it as a noun is incorrect would be ignoring basically all common historical uses of the word.

yellowfoliage

• Obscure cultural reference
  • it's THE aspect
« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2010, 20:34 »

My friend Tyler:

Hey research times, but the cord so. 8 out there, your time. I'm just getting back home from work row you'd call me when I was today meeting in the clean up at the store there as soon as I would love to go ahead and finish this tonight and stop worrying about the flight getting out there and so forth. So I'm going to try to give you a call back. What's gonna try to reach you either be a facebook or gmail or something like that, so we can go ahead and get in contact and get this done about some wedding stuff, so I will talk to you later to talk to you soon, bye.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2010, 20:55 »

Naturally it recognizes "gmail".  :roll:
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up