He may be a perfect gentleman, causing them to worry what he's really up to
- 16 (27.1%)
He or Hanners may ask for a second date
- 21 (35.6%)
They're already worried, he doesn't have to do anything
- 22 (37.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 20-24 Sep 10  (Read 84640 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
WCT 20-24 Sep 10
« on: 19 Sep 2010, 15:33 »

A man with three buttocks.

Just because I can.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCT 20-24 Sep 10
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2010, 15:40 »

Shouldn't that last option be "And now for something completely different"?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2010, 15:58 »

That would have made the reference too obvious.

Now who wants to spend some time with the sergeant-major marching up and down the square?  Unless you've got anything else to do?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2010, 17:28 »

Ni!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2010, 17:48 »

Now who wants to spend some time with the sergeant-major marching up and down the square?  Unless you've got anything else to do?

I'm too busy pining for the fjords, you military fairy.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2010, 17:51 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2010, 19:46 »

I do kind of feel sorry for Dora here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2010, 19:46 »

Quote from: Jeph
Hannelore gets all her notions about dating from bad sitcoms and "Cathy" cartoons. Which is weird, considering her social circle!

This... will not end well.

EDIT: And Dora has a very "Manga' look to her in those last two panels...
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2010, 19:48 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

lisavilisa

• Plantmonster
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2010, 19:49 »

Anyone else notice that the hands are beautiful in today's strip?

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2010, 19:54 »

I'm not sure what to make of Dora's face in panel 4b.  It looks like the face of someone who just smelled the most horrendous fart ever, or who is trying to hold in the most horrendous fart ever.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2010, 19:58 »

Not just the hands, but the perspectives and faces - panel 3 in particular is just all kinds of artisticness!  

And Dora's look as Sven leaves - well, I think Jeph has captured confused resignation quite well.  But yeah, the Dora reaction shots in the last two panels, obviously for comedic effect, are a bit much.  

And I think Hanners was yanking Dora's chain in the last two panels just so she could get those very reactions!  

Dickbutt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2010, 19:59 »

Yeah Dora's faces are pretty funky today. In the good way. Also the hands yes.

Also I am a major opponent of the new speech bubbles, the new text is okay I guess. Jephs comic etc etc but yeah

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2010, 20:33 »

Hanners reads Cathy? Ah well. As long as, in every strip featuring her, the third panel doesn't consist of Hanners going "Ack!" and sticking her tongue out while her hair goes nuts. Also, as long as she doesn't have her nose surgically removed.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2010, 20:39 by zagraf »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2010, 21:02 »

Hanners reads Cathy?
Well, I suppose someone has to...

The perspective looks a little strange to me in this strip. Compare Dora's height with Hanners' in the various panels. In the third panel especially, Dora is closer to the "camera" than Hanners, but looks decidedly shorter. In the Hanners Fhtagn strip they look much the same height.

Given the effect of Hanners' voice in today's strip, and the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE one, you have to wonder if she has some sort of sonic superpower like Black Canary. Yes boys*, feel free to imagine Hanners in boots, fishnets, black leotard and biker jacket... There's no need to thank me.

*I suppose Tai would say I was being heteronormative...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2010, 21:14 »

I think if she were anymore up, she'd be floating - Which would be consistent with the current theme

Oooohh!!  Grimface Dora, not good.  Sven better behave himself or Dora will go medieval on him.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2010, 21:19 »

For comic #1756...

1. New speech bubbles and font remain, flames continue to burn!  (j/k)  I still think the bubbles and text size does need to be a bit smaller though.

2. I think this week (if not next week as well) will be of other tangents to prep for the Hannelore+Sven date, and for Jeph to work upon and for we the audience to look towards.

3. After Dora's line of, "I...this is against my better judgement," I now think the Hannelore+Sven date will not end well.  Dora does have pretty good judgement, most of the time.  [P.S. ADD: Though even bad dates can sometimes have positive results for life experiences.]

4. Not entirely certain of why Hanners actually needs Dora's permission to go out on a date with Sven, but it is always heart-warming to see how much Dora looks out for Hanners and how much Hanners looks up to Dora.

5. Poor Dora, all of recent events have put a lot of stress upon her, even though it was funny to see her jump and fume :evil: .  Hope some relief or good fortune will come for Dora next story-angle.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2010, 23:20 by pendrake »

tut21

• Plantmonster
« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2010, 22:11 »

My guess is that Sven will act like a perfect gentleman, since he's not interested in Hanners, but she will flip out and cause some minor incident when her anxieties kick in mid-date. So it won't go smoothly despite Sven's best efforts. Yet despite the setback the date will earn him a tiny bit more trust from Dora.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2010, 22:13 »

Now who wants to spend some time with the sergeant-major marching up and down the square?  Unless you've got anything else to do?

START AGAIN!  *waves arm*

From last week's thread:
Unless I missed something in the conversation, it seems that no one considered the most ironic possible twist in the events to come: Sven falling for Hannelore. I mean completely, head over heels, totally in love. Given Sven's past, ending up in a relationship which is bound to be platonic for any foreseeable future would be hilarous, in a somewhat gritty way.

I agree that this is possible, and would be epic for angst-mining, whether Hanners reciprocates those feelings (despite being unable to act on them) or not.  On the other hand, this could just end up as some light plataonic fun for both of them, merely forcing their friends to re-evaluate how they see each of them.  I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Hanners tell Marigold about all this, actually.

Yes, actually -- Sven's hand in panel 3 and Hanner's linked hands in panel 4 in particular.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2010, 22:19 »

Hanners reads Cathy?
Well, I suppose someone has to...
Not for much longer.

The perspective looks a little strange to me in this strip. Compare Dora's height with Hanners' in the various panels. In the third panel especially, Dora is closer to the "camera" than Hanners, but looks decidedly shorter. In the Hanners Fhtagn strip they look much the same height.

Given the effect of Hanners' voice in today's strip, and the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE one, you have to wonder if she has some sort of sonic superpower like Black Canary. Yes boys*, feel free to imagine Hanners in boots, fishnets, black leotard and biker jacket... There's no need to thank me.

*I suppose Tai would say I was being heteronormative...
I got the same impression about Hanners' outbursts, If I worked with her, no one would have to worry about her snapping and killing everyone. I'd grease her first.

.[snip]
4. Not entirely certain of why Hanners actually needs Dora's permission to go out on a date with Sven, but it is always heart-warming to see how much Dora looks out for Hanners and how much Hanners looks up to Dora.[snip]
Because, besides being a squealing psycho, Hanners both is considerate of others and doesn't care for conflict. A date with Sven's not worth a hullaballoo to her.

I'd still have to kill her. My headaches and those screeches could not coexist.

And now—the Fish-slapping Dance! (dibs on the big-ass fish)
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2010, 22:57 »

Jeph, why are you being so mean to Dora?

Oh, for comedy.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2010, 22:57 »

3. After Dora's line of, "I...this is against my better judgement," I now think the Hannelore+Sven date will not end well.  Dora does have pretty good judgement, most of the time.  [P.S. ADD: Though even bad dates can sometimes have positive results for life experiences.]
This is kinda what I was thinking. Good or bad, if nothing else, I'm hoping this is a character growth moment for both Sven and Hanners. Potentially Dora too.

4. Not entirely certain of why Hanners actually needs Dora's permission to go out on a date with Sven, but it is always heart-warming to see how much Dora looks out for Hanners and how much Hanners looks up to Dora.
This really bothered me. A lot. I get that Dora's got issues, and wants to look out for her friends, and Hanners doesn't want conflict and respects Dora and such, but honestly. We're talking about adults here who, issues or not, should be able to make these choices. This shouldn't relate to Dora's issues with Sven because Hanners met Dora first - she can't be accused of using Dora (though I do see how Dora could still construe it as such).
I think that Dora actually doesn't have a lot of respect for Hanners' ability to "be an adult" or "make adult choices", or whatever. This first showed up when Hanners was gonna go comfort Marigold and Dora was all - "uh no, I think I can handle this better than you", despite Hanners being (apparently) better friends with Marigold.
I mean, sure Hanners doesn't have nearly the relationship experience Dora does, but I think Dora equates that to Hanners entire understanding of the world. Meaning, she thinks that because Hanners is somewhere in the teenager stage of wanting to know about love/sex/etc, Hanners is also in the young child/teenager stage of understanding the world) But Hanners was able to survive with Dora-mom before, and she's shown an awful lot of insight into her friends, and general people dynamics (such as when she called out Marten and Steve).
I think Dora doesn't give Hanners nearly enough credit (as well as giving herself more credit than she perhaps deserves) and on top of that, is so jealous of her brother that she can hardly accept that Hanners is making this choice on her own. Interestingly enough, the way Dora keeps trying to be a mom to Hanners (and to a lesser extent, Marigold) makes me wonder if it's a reaction to her own upbringing - she sees enough of her own naivety in them, and is trying to give them the advice she wished her mother would have given her.

merv

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2010, 00:21 »

This really bothered me. A lot. I get that Dora's got issues, and wants to look out for her friends, and Hanners doesn't want conflict and respects Dora and such, but honestly. We're talking about adults here who, issues or not, should be able to make these choices. This shouldn't relate to Dora's issues with Sven because Hanners met Dora first - she can't be accused of using Dora (though I do see how Dora could still construe it as such).

I don't think Dora is uncomfortable with the Sven/Hanners date because of her "issues" with him. I think it's because of his previous horrible treatment of Faye and the awkwardness that followed.

Also, I don't think that Hanners wants to get a rise out of Dora with her reactions in Panel Three, I think she literally just expects that's what your meant to do, as she "studies" Cathy.
(At least I imagine using comics as a way to study the normal social reactions to situations).

nicoley

• Not quite a lurker
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2010, 00:48 »

I get that Dora is trying to look out for Hanners given Sven's past... but I don't like how she says "... but you can go." acting like it's actually her place to give permission. They are all adults and hanners can do whatever the hell she wants, screw Dora's bs paranoia. While I may be biased because of my long time dislike of Dora, it would annoy me if any other cast member acted this way too.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2010, 01:38 »

I... have absolutely no idea why people are surprised that Sven and Hannelore are asking if Dora minds them going on a date.  It makes perfect sense if you've read, like, any of the comics at all where the topic of Sven dating people comes up.  Sven has a long-running history of basically ruining the lives of the ladies he dates, to the extent where Dora has quite explicitly told him, "Do not date any of my friends!"  The one time she let him break that rule, well, we all know what happened with Faye.

As for Hanners, she's an innocent wide-eyed thing who's always inquiring about social norms and wants to learn dating procedure.  And she's trying to learn this from, and this is important, a guy whose normal dating procedure is to have a few drinks, make with the sex, and then never speak again.  This is basically the sort of thing that you do not want your friends to be exposed to in their first dating experience.  Dora is therefore pretty protective of her innocent but nice friend.

Add these to Dora's trust issues and it makes absolutely perfect sense that they'd check to see if she minded before going out on a date.  At which point Dora has answered that, "I think this is a bad idea but it is not my place to stop you."

There's no snarkiness, there's no controlling-bitch issues, there's no manipulation.  They're actually being completely honest and open about the situation.  What the fuck is so confusing about this for everyone?

Also:  I too have noticed the very interesting art changes of late.  It's less cartoony-style and much more artistic, with realistic features and body structures.  For what it's worth from a grumpy Internet person who can't draw a stick figure without fucking it up, I approve!
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:01 »

I get that Dora is trying to look out for Hanners given Sven's past... but I don't like how she says "... but you can go." acting like it's actually her place to give permission. They are all adults and hanners can do whatever the hell she wants, screw Dora's bs paranoia. While I may be biased because of my long time dislike of Dora, it would annoy me if any other cast member acted this way too.
Hmmm... Personal autonomy is all well and good, but let us try a thought experiment. Imagine your friend, who had never driven a car before in her life, was proposing to take a Shelby Cobra* at high speed down a wet mountain road. Would you really just think "Meh... She's a grown-up, entitled to make her own decisions," and wave her off? Or try to talk her out of it?

Sven's background is that of a serial philanderer, with serious honesty, personal accountability, and self-control problems, who is (as far as Dora knows) unreformed, and who's shown that he's willing to seriously hurt her friends. Friends don't let friends drive drunk. Friends care enough about friends to try to talk them out of dangerous behaviour.

*With no intended insult to Caroll Shelby. I just asked a petrol-head guy at work for an example of a hot, hairy, high power-to-weight-ratio car from before the days of stability control, with which Americans might be familiar.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:54 »

I don't say it.

But I'll be damned if this lady doesn't think that.  :|

I should try harder not to be a walking stereotype.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:36 »

And as of 0730 EST:

What are we going to see this week?

Sven and Hanners' date  19 (41.3%)
Dora's nervous breakdown and the aftermath  9 (19.6%)
Faye and Angus - round two!  7 (15.2%)
Something completely different  11 (23.9%)

Total Voters: 46

I feel for Dora in this strip, not only has she had a rough emotional night, then she gets to come to work, and have one of her new workers actually ask her brother (who is a contributing factor to the issues she's got) out.

And the purpose of the "training" was to have them demonstrate how they could brush off those who hit on them not to see if they could use the shop as a dating service.

Course I met my wife at her store many years ago so this could go well.

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
  • My Seedbox Can Beat Up Your Seedbox
    • Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner
« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:51 »

You know, you could have quite a lot of fun with the next to last panel.

Just saying.....

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2010, 05:05 »

I was debating about the subject for today's poll - my alternate being other bad comic sources of dating advice:

a.  Hagar the Horrible;
b.  Garfield;
c.  Archie;
d.  Andy Capp

And there I ran out of ideas, sorry folks.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2010, 06:06 »

I can't help you. I have examples, but they all come from Franco-Belgian comics, which probably won't speak much to most dwellers here. Except one, maybe: Obelix. The other, stronger examples I had in mind were Athanagor Wurlitzer and Jean-Claude Tergal.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2010, 06:39 »

1) Hanners' normal social circle provides her with counter-examples of "ideal" dating behavior.

2) They don't need Dora's permission, but how does Hanners know that? This is a strange new situation for her.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2010, 07:43 »

I can't help you. I have examples, but they all come from Franco-Belgian comics, which probably won't speak much to most dwellers here. Except one, maybe: Obelix. The other, stronger examples I had in mind were Athanagor Wurlitzer and Jean-Claude Tergal.

My bad for choosing comics named after their main character  - How's Obelix a bad example - all he wants is a home cooked meal, maybe a little mead...

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #31 on: 20 Sep 2010, 08:56 »

My bad for choosing comics named after their main character  - How's Obelix a bad example - all he wants is a home cooked meal, maybe a little mead...
and a good recreational fight or 2

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #32 on: 20 Sep 2010, 09:36 »

Damn, of all the guys Hanners had to choose for her first date, she had to choose the stereotypical player. And no one else has pointed out this out yet, but Hannelore is exactly Sven's usual type-tall skinny and blonde. Yeah he made an exception with Faye, but that was mainly because Faye basically jumped him.

This will not end well.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #33 on: 20 Sep 2010, 09:52 »

makes me wonder if it's a reaction to her own upbringing - she sees enough of her own naivety in them, and is trying to give them the advice she wished her mother would have given her.

Adult children of alcoholics have an exaggerated need to control their surroundings, because during their formative years it was the only way to be safe.

Dora's parents are not alcoholics, and we don't know if their heavy weed use interfered with their parenting, but we can speculate.

Dora needs to be her own boss, she is at least a yenta to her friends, and so on.

Alternatively she's just trying to steer Hannelore away from a dangerous situation, like any friend would. I could buy that. On the other hand Hannelore is saying "I don't want you to be mad at me".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #34 on: 20 Sep 2010, 10:45 »

I don't think Dora is uncomfortable with the Sven/Hanners date because of her "issues" with him. I think it's because of his previous horrible treatment of Faye and the awkwardness that followed.

Sven has a long-running history of basically ruining the lives of the ladies he dates, to the extent where Dora has quite explicitly told him, "Do not date any of my friends!"  The one time she let him break that rule, well, we all know what happened with Faye.

Wait, what? Sven treated Faye horribly and ruined Faye's life? Really? From where I'm standing, it looks like Faye not only got over some of those roadblock issues she was having with intimacy, she also grew enough to be able to start to date Angus. Even Sven himself gives the appearance of trying to better himself. It was a really bad situation but so far we've seen positive growth from it.

And even if Dora is convinced that Sven is going to get Hanners drunk and totally take advantage of her, I think that she doesn't know that Sven's aware Hanners if off limits that way. I don't think Sven is honestly that dumb/that cruel. (But I can see Dora thinking he is, because from her point of view that's entirely how he is.)
What I can see happening is something similar to what happened with Gina Riversmith. Sven actually doesn't make a move on Hanners per se, but they both get drunk, and Hanners herself gets curious and makes a move and Sven is too far gone to stop her, like he might have if he weren't trashed. Sven would get blamed for having the alcohol there to begin with, but 1, I could see Hanners insisting on it because it's part of a typical date, and 2, I'm not sure he knows just how much her OCD defenses fall when drunk. Then again, maybe she'll just fall asleep?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #35 on: 20 Sep 2010, 10:58 »

Sven has a long-running history of basically ruining the lives of the ladies he dates, to the extent where Dora has quite explicitly told him, "Do not date any of my friends!"  The one time she let him break that rule, well, we all know what happened with Faye.

Wait, what? Sven treated Faye horribly and ruined Faye's life? Really? From where I'm standing, it looks like Faye not only got over some of those roadblock issues she was having with intimacy, she also grew enough to be able to start to date Angus. Even Sven himself gives the appearance of trying to better himself. It was a really bad situation but so far we've seen positive growth from it.
I think they mean from the characters' perspective, not ours, the god-like observers. We may grow from adversity, but we don't much like experiencing it, and our friends usually don't much enjoy seeing us go through it, either—the real ones, anyway. Dr. Corrine might point out Sven was 'good' for Faye (that's her job), but I doubt Dora, Marten, or even Penelope are going to anytime soon, even if any of them believe it (as Marten might). Years from now, maybe, but not now.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #36 on: 20 Sep 2010, 11:33 »

I think they mean from the characters' perspective, not ours, the god-like observers.

I try not to think of myself this way - gives me more of an ego than I already have.

On the other hand, many of the comments made concerning the goings on in this strip tend to come from people who have forgotten that we have the abiltiy to know all and see all wrt the characters, and have the benefits of not being emotionally engaged in the immediacy of the moment when it comes to making a response.  Those can be as amusing as the comic.

The corrallary is the armchair quarterback or general making the call on what should have been done on Monday morning now that they've got the ability to know exactly what the other side has and how they will use it.  Lots more challenging to make the call when you're knee deep in the mud, you're the one who has to make the decision and you've got seconds to do it - and if you get it wrong then may they have mercy on you.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #37 on: 20 Sep 2010, 12:43 »

Sven has a long-running history of basically ruining the lives of the ladies he dates, to the extent where Dora has quite explicitly told him, "Do not date any of my friends!"  The one time she let him break that rule, well, we all know what happened with Faye.

I think they mean from the characters' perspective, not ours, the god-like observers. We may grow from adversity, but we don't much like experiencing it, and our friends usually don't much enjoy seeing us go through it, either—the real ones, anyway. Dr. Corrine might point out Sven was 'good' for Faye (that's her job), but I doubt Dora, Marten, or even Penelope are going to anytime soon, even if any of them believe it (as Marten might). Years from now, maybe, but not now.

Given that, I can see the Sven treated Faye horribly argument, but definitely not the ruin her life argument.

Edit: I thought Dora told Sven not to date her friends because it was weird, not because it ruins lives. Unless Dora is referring to her own life?
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2010, 12:53 by Moxie »

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #38 on: 20 Sep 2010, 13:29 »

Yes, she told Sven that. Later on though, Dora says something different to Marten. My guess would be Dora won't tell Sven this because it would be like confessing to him how much 'better' he is than her. In that cafe scene, they seem to be interacting as equals, so I can understand why Dora wouldn't want to admit to feeling inferior. Could be other reasons though, such as she doesn't think Sven would give a shit. (Note this has more to do with Dora's own feelings about her self-worth than Sven's. Doesn't let the creep off the hook—poaching half your sister's friends for casual screws is pretty low, especially if you could very likely easily do as well without resorting to this.)

Edit: Letting them use her as a stepping stone to you is, of course, even worse.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2010, 13:35 by raoullefere »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #39 on: 20 Sep 2010, 15:10 »

I was debating about the subject for today's poll - my alternate being other bad comic sources of dating advice:
How about Least I Could Do...?

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #40 on: 20 Sep 2010, 15:29 »

I'm trying to decide if Bloom County would make a bad source or an awesome source.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 20 Sep 2010, 17:29 »

Depends on how many penguins are going along on the date. 

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #42 on: 20 Sep 2010, 18:07 »

Now who wants to spend some time with the sergeant-major marching up and down the square?  Unless you've got anything else to do?

START AGAIN!  *waves arm*

Stop this thread, it's too silly.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 20 Sep 2010, 18:13 »

Oh, please… Bloom County is an awesome repository of dating wisdom, and Opus is only the tip of the iceberg—ya got Portnoy, Limekiller, Otis Oracle, Yaz Pistachio, Michael Binkley, and how can anyone forget Steve Dallas? Yes, a more stupendous collection of how to fail at dating has very likely never been assembled.

On the successful side you have Cutter John and Bobbi Harlow, but nobody cares much about them. They're like, a couple.

The more I look at it, the more Dora's expression in the last two panels works for me. There she is, wondering what horror she's set loose, trying not to let all those negative emotions take over, and right in the middle of my desperate quiet moment of angst comes that ungodly screech. I think I'd do a wild take, too.

Of course, the next panel would show me trying to brain Hannelore with the cash register, but that's just me.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #44 on: 20 Sep 2010, 18:34 »

Of course, the next panel would show me trying to brain Hannelore with the cash register, but that's just me.

See, what's hilarious about that is now I'm envisioning Jet braining Hanners with a cash register.  :laugh:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #45 on: 20 Sep 2010, 18:55 »

Hannelore probably has a plan in mind already for what she will do if attacked with a cash register.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #46 on: 20 Sep 2010, 19:13 »

Oh, please… Bloom County is an awesome repository of dating wisdom, and Opus is only the tip of the iceberg—ya got Portnoy, Limekiller, Otis Oracle, Yaz Pistachio, Michael Binkley, and how can anyone forget Steve Dallas? Yes, a more stupendous collection of how to fail at dating has very likely never been assembled.

Originally, my entire post was just going to be a picture of Steve Dallas, but then it started to seem douchey for some reason.

Quote from: Moxie

Bear in mind that the quote immediately prior to Dora giving permission was "I won't go if you really think it's a bad idea." In other words, Hannelore wasn't just asking for permission, she was voluntarily making Dora's consent mandatory.

Although I do agree that Dora sometimes doesn't give Hanners enough credit. Then again, it's a sign of her altruistic nature that she cares that much. It seems like the sort of thing she'd probably stop doing if someone called her on it.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #47 on: 20 Sep 2010, 20:58 »

Aw, c'mon.  The whole "One out-of-context quote from your entire post" thing?  Don't do that.  Don't be that guy.  Nobody wants you to be that guy.

Yeah, okay, "ruining the lives of the ladies he dates" might have been a bit overly dramatic, but I pretty obviously  did not mean that Sven literally ruined Faye's entire life the day he slept with Gina Riversmith.  That would be a whole new level of stupid.  I just meant that he obviously doesn't leave the ladies in good condition.  There was the chick he used Marten to try and dodge, the chick he used Faye to try and dodge, the chick who sent the Vespavenger after him, and then Faye...  yeah, okay, lives were not ruined, but it's not like these ladies are happy after the event.  Christ, Faye was so depressed months after she broke up with Sven that Dora actually called her on it when she commissioned the EspressoSaurus.

Now apparently nobody noticed, but from the start I've been in favour of this date, assuming Sven and Hanners don't get drunk and have the sex.  Because that would be a disaster.  No, I actually do like Sven and I hope his character arc ends up in a good place.  I want this to happen!  I'm just pointing out that, given Sven's history, it is perfectly reasonable for Dora to have questions about his intentions.  And to be protective of Hanners.

EDIT:
New comic!  I especially love the Plunger panel.  That is a face which is cute.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2010, 21:01 by Tergon »
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

IlGreven

• Emoticontraindication
  • Also, no 4-year-olds on the pee-pee.
    • Grev's Big Journal Thingy
« Reply #48 on: 20 Sep 2010, 21:04 »

Nobody "volunteers" to go into the Cave of Sixteen and a Half Asses...
A gigantic force on the 'Net, and even BIGGER in person.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #49 on: 20 Sep 2010, 21:10 »

Well Hannelore is certainly having a day, but that's how things are in the real world.

At least she didn't try to count the coffee grounds she spilled.

Of course the events of this morning make it mor likely that alcohol will be consumed on her date with Sven, and we know where that might lead...*dun-Dun-DUUUNNNNN!!!!!*
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up