Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 17 Jun 2019, 20:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Half-Life 2  (Read 13198 times)

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:28 »

Anyone else lose a lot of sleep playing this one?  I couldn't stop, and now with the deathmatch out... uh-oh...

Phobos

Half-Life 2
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:29 »

I got motion sick, and now the game tells me "this operation cannot be performed in offline mode."  Or something close to that.  I don't know why, it worked for a few weeks.

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:30 »

Odd... yeah, it is graphically intense, but that made it really real for me (cliched as that sounds).  I think that game stressed me out more than real life at that point.  I swear, you feel like you're in danger if you stand still for more than a second.

Norrit

Half-Life 2
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:40 »

I loved the game, i stayed up till 2 am local time waiting for the download to be open to the public and started playing......i looked at the clock and it was noon.

I lost 10 hours in there somwhere.

There was actualy a point while i was playing, i came up out of the water and looked at a wall. My computer screamed "I hate you" and crashed.

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:43 »

I think my two favorite little random bits of that game were Lamar the the domesticated headcrab, and any time your threw a grenade into a window with a Combine guy and you hear a robotic "Shit!" before it explodes and the guy flies out the window.  Priceless.

Phobos

Half-Life 2
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:44 »

I think the parts that bothered me the most were the vehicle sections of the game.  The swamp boat made me sick for the rest of it, but before that it was pretty cool.  

I would have liked to have seen more of City 17.  It reminded me a lot of Command & Conquer: Renegade for some reason, except you were confined more in where you could go (also obviously had much better graphics).  I'm hoping they do an OpFor 2 even though I didn't play the original, just because I want to see more of the environment.

Ravenholm scared the shit out of me.  I had to turn on god-mode and notarget just to reassure myself, and even then I had to stop playing early.  The only game that I've played that has been scarier was Silent Hill 4: The Room, which I rented from Blockbuster and had to return the next day because I couldn't play it anymore.  

I know, I sound like a pussy, but zombies really freak me out.

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:48 »

Father Gregory was priceless... chilling, the priest with a flock of demented zombies.  Hell, that was scary, especially at the end, when you're in the graveyard and he sets the traps on fire and shoots all the zombies, laughing maniacally.  Loved it!

I agree, I think the hoverboat was a pain in the ass... damn those mines.  I liked the buggy part, though.  I think what made the vehicles a bit bothersome was the fact that you were constantly getting out to go on little side missions to clear your path.  Ah well.

Phobos

Half-Life 2
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:50 »

See I just felt like puking while in them...

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:50 »

Aw geez, that's no good.  A little too real, I guess?  Sorry to hear that, man.

Norrit

Half-Life 2
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:51 »

I think this was one of the best implementations of vehicles into a FPS, other than tribes.*edit*

Speaking of scary games what did you think of Doom 3?

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:53 »

I never played it, but my roommate was really into it for a while... he swore he got stress acne from playing it!  I did see the part with the little winged demon babies, where all the tortured moans are... good lord, they pulled out all the stops for pants-shittingness, didn't they?

Norrit

Half-Life 2
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:56 »

Lol yeah, this was a freaky game. i've actualy put this game on the back burner untill i can get a better graphics card for it. currently i get a average of 15 fps if im lucky.

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2004, 21:57 »

Heh, my weakness lies in the RAM... I only have 256MB, but i have a 128MB GeForce 4.  I just don't play enough resource-intensive games to spring for more RAM right now.  I'm a poor college student, what do you expect.  At least my roommate has a beast of a machine with 2GB of RAM... Jesus...

Phobos

Half-Life 2
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2004, 00:16 »

Quote from: ExplodingBunnies
Aw geez, that's no good.  A little too real, I guess?  Sorry to hear that, man.

Apparently I'm not the only one suffering from it.  There was a decently-sized thread on the Steam forums about it.  I guess it's due to your eyes interpretting movement but your inner ear doesn't, causing the motion sickness.  

I have no problem with CS:Source though, or HL2:DM...

Wysiwyg

Re: Half-Life 2
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2004, 03:30 »

Quote from: ExplodingBunnies
Anyone else lose a lot of sleep playing this one?  I couldn't stop, and now with the deathmatch out... uh-oh...

I did. But it was more like oh-my-god-what-will-happen-next-i-must-know kinda of insonia than OMG-this-game-is-creepy-and-freaking-to-hell-help-me. Dunno, maybe i´m just insensitive - and creepy enough to make an avatar with me as Gordon Freeman. I´ll post it when i get home.

Anyway, what graphics! What a storyline! Whatta game! And I want to play it again in the nightmarish level, it was too easy! :D

Simon

• Plantmonster
Half-Life 2
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2004, 07:36 »

Yup, had the game on pre-order for god-knows how long. Sprinted home from school to play it, and boy it was worth it. There is just so much about it that makes it awesome. I'm not saying it didn't have a few flaws, but it's still by far the best game I've ever played. Can't wait for HL3, I neeeed to know what happens :P

But on a side note, what pisses me off is that all my friends are a bunch of Halo2Whores. A regular conversation would go something like this:

Friend: OMG OMG OMG Halo 2 is coming out tomorrow!!11! I'm gonna stay up till midnight! It's gonna be so great, it's gonna be a revolutionary game. Dual wielding weapons is so cool!11! Master Chief for president!111!

Me: Half-Life 2 comes out soon.

Friend: Psssh, it's all hype, it's over-rated. People are just buying it for the graphics, there's no storyline, it's unoriginal, it's boring apart from the graphics there's nothing new about it.

Bunch of narrow-minded gits :P

Wysiwyg

Half-Life 2
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2004, 08:11 »

Quote from: Simon
It's gonna be so great, it's gonna be a revolutionary game. Dual wielding weapons is so cool!11!

Rrrrrriiight, using two weapons at same time. Mi God, what a revolutionary thing! Who needs good design levels anyway? Just do like Need for speed Undeground: a thousand tracks which look almost the same to make a bunch of hyped people happy. Genious!

I´m still pissed off from the first Halo (stupid library level with that stupid robot guide).

Anyway. Making my own army of AntLions was deadly cool. >:-D

ExplodingBunnies

Half-Life 2
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2004, 08:22 »

Halo... bah!  The sheer goodness of even Half-Life 1 could crush it.  And I don't think anything out right now can even touch Half-Life 2.  The bar has been raised, if you ask me, and it's going to take one hell of a high jumper to clear it!  Now excuse me while I use my grav gun to shoot some paint buckets at my Haloing friends...

Simon

• Plantmonster
Half-Life 2
« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2004, 08:47 »

Quote from: Wysiwyg
Quote from: Simon
It's gonna be so great, it's gonna be a revolutionary game. Dual wielding weapons is so cool!11!

Rrrrrriiight, using two weapons at same time. Mi God, what a revolutionary thing! Who needs good design levels anyway? Just do like Need for speed Undeground: a thousand tracks which look almost the same to make a bunch of hyped people happy. Genious!

Exactly. If I remember correctly, dual weilding has been around since the N64's Goldeneye/Perfect Dark times. And some of the level design on the later Halo 2 missions was shocking; you are presented with a small room (which, may I point out, is a room which looks just like the 8 other rooms you've been through) which has 3 doors out of it. 2 are locked, one is open, with a big green light on it. It didn't make you think at all; the whole thing just screamed "THIS WAY! THIS WAY TO THE NEXT THING TO SHOOT!". But now we're getting too offtopic, so I'm gonna stop this little rant now.

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
Half-Life 2
« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2004, 09:28 »

I am still refusing to buy this game because I have been wronged by Valve with their Steam software.

Not sure what it will take to get me to trust Steam enough to buy this, or CS:S.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Phrozen

Half-Life 2
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2004, 09:43 »

eh? I haven't had any trouble from steam yet. aside from some bogged down servers on the first day.

Simon

• Plantmonster
Half-Life 2
« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2004, 09:56 »

Quote from: Phrozen
eh? I haven't had any trouble from steam yet. aside from some bogged down servers on the first day.

Nope, had very few problems with Steam as well

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
Half-Life 2
« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2004, 10:14 »

I played Half-Life 1 since the week it was released, and even sent in the registration card for that game when I first bought it (It was one of the rare pieces of software that I sent that in).  When Counterstrike Beta 3 was out I started playing that, and played every version of it all the way up to retail version 1.6, when they decided to toss Steam on it.  No problem, I had the HalfLife CD key from my original HalfLife disk I owned, and was able to use Steam without having to buy the software again...

I was playing Counterstrike 1.6 for several months when one day I logged into Steam and suddenly I had no useable games in the Steam list.  I check my account with Steam and they said I had no valid CD Key on file, which is why I can't play any games in the list.  "No problem" I think.  I have seen this before, and just typing in your CD Key again gets it all back anyway.  So, I go dig out my HalfLife CD to type the key in again.  Well, when I type in my CD Key it says "That key is already asigned to a Steam Account"... yeah, no shit, it is assigned to MY account.  So I check their support site and all and find out the ONLY discourse I have to get my key re-activated on my account is if I mail Valve my original CD, with CD Key, AND include a $10 check (and waiting "8 to 10 days" for it to get activated again).  Now sure, I can afford $10... but why the hell would I have to pay again for software I already own ?  And who's to say this won't happen again ?

So I give them a call...  I tell them my story, and they say the only way they can prove I own the software is by sending that CD in and paying them $10.  I ask them "Well, I registered the software with YOU when I first bought the game.  Don't you have my card on file ?"  They reply, "Yeah, but we don't have access to that."

What ?!

Worst part of it is with Steam, I can't even play Single-Player HalfLife.  And that's just fucked up.

Sorry, but if I am going to doll out 80 sheckles for a game that may or may not just randomly disappear, and force me to pay MORE for it... I think I will pass.

Besides, WoW uses up any free time I want to toss at it, so making time for another game would just be dumb.

Phobos

Half-Life 2
« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2004, 12:41 »

Quote from: 3Z3VH
...lot of bitching about Steam...

All true, Steam does suck.  It's a nice concept, but I have problems with it.  Namely that I can't play HL2 singleplayer now because it says it can't perform this operation in offline mode (I've lost my internet connection at my apartment until January), which I think is total bullshit.  

I wish HL2 had come without Steam, and that there was some other way to register your CD key, but there's no changing that now =(

Wysiwyg

Half-Life 2
« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2004, 12:45 »

Too bad you had all these problems, i had none here. Funny how the same system could be so perfect for some and so troublesome for others. Go figure.

Anyway, i'm a HL2 fan. I liked it so much that i had to make a new avatar, with, er, me as Gordon Freeman! :P :D

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
Half-Life 2
« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2004, 12:50 »

I have no problem that their software has a minor bug or two... I readily accepted that it just forgot my key and didn't mind at all typing it in again... I have problems with their ability (or lack, thereof) to let me use my legal key without paying MORE money and waiting weeks just to use it.

It's the internet age, and you guys make software, get a better system than snail-mail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up