THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 20:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 427888 times)

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #900 on: 17 Sep 2011, 20:58 »

nah, I was responding specifically to the suggestion that we start on creative mode to get some buildings up and then go survival.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #901 on: 18 Sep 2011, 13:06 »

If you fly high enough in Creative mode, it's like you're in SPACE!

(click to show/hide)

Wheee!

By the way, have you tried growing Giant Mushrooms yet? Apparently, we're getting a whole biome full of giant mushrooms in the future. It's absolutely crazy. There's also a new mob in there, the Mooshroom. Speaking of which, Mooshroom is a pretty good world seed.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2011, 14:03 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #902 on: 18 Sep 2011, 19:17 »

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

I'm in space.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #903 on: 18 Sep 2011, 23:53 »

I know you are, mate.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #904 on: 19 Sep 2011, 04:00 »

We are all within the three spatial dimensions.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #905 on: 19 Sep 2011, 10:20 »

I have stable internet once again!

I'm going to backup and download the current world right now. Once I'm done, I'm going to start the map up in Adventure with the seed that was mentioned earlier.

ackblom12

« Reply #906 on: 19 Sep 2011, 11:13 »

Server has been updated! It is now officially using 1.8.1 with the world seed Revolution! Have fun guys. :)

The new world's map: http://www.M/F.com/?dkjdu0eoq81k21s

Old server world files: http://www.M/F.com/?r3n7cs77a3fn32d

Last server map of the old world: http://www.M/F.com/?5xztxn2kzmg4xc9
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2011, 11:39 by ackblom12 »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #907 on: 19 Sep 2011, 15:12 »

I guess ravines can be underground.

It appears to run left-right across the upper third of the new world map. I'm building a little survival hut just to the right of the center of the map near the swamp, any supplies anybody wants from it, feel free. I'll mark the mine entrance which will be nearby next to the hill.

Edit: There's a line of torches from the mushroom spawn house to my shelter and the mine, and if you go down, turn left, and follow the twisty little passages all alike, you'll come out at the picture above. I built a rough stairway down along the right wall, but haven't explored much beyond the immediate bottom.

Also, the server just went offline. Back up already.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2011, 16:31 by Jimor »
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #908 on: 19 Sep 2011, 16:31 »

yeah, i have found several truly massive ravines underground in my current SP game (seed: "12101986"), but oddly none on the surface

then again, i haven't explored incredibly far outwards from my spwawn yet, i've found more than enough good stuff here to keep me occupied for a while.
wish i had some good video capture software because i want to show off the scenic minecart tour i've been working on, which would have taken me forever if it weren't for the addition of ruins in 1.8.

speaking of showing things off: where does minecraft store screenshots? i've probably taken a million accidental screen shots (and a few intentional ones) because my keyboard's function buttons are weirdly small and i can't intuit which one is which without looking, so i often take screenshots when trying to go into third person mode or remove the hud.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #909 on: 19 Sep 2011, 18:21 »

c/Users/your name/appdata/roaming/.minecraft/screenshots

some of the folders are hidden

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #910 on: 19 Sep 2011, 18:46 »

ah thanks.

appdata is definitely hidden, and i have no idea how to show hidden folders in windows 7, but typing the location in directly worked fine

so yay! i know where a bunch of important folders are now, which i otherwise probably wouldn't have been able to find!  :-P
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #911 on: 19 Sep 2011, 19:37 »

control panel- folder options (not on category view)- the 'view' tab

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #912 on: 19 Sep 2011, 22:50 »

yeah, i never would have found that. thanks!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #913 on: 20 Sep 2011, 00:17 »

or type %appdata% into the run/search bar, and click enter.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #914 on: 20 Sep 2011, 00:32 »

Or from any folder's top menu: Organize | Folder and search options.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #915 on: 20 Sep 2011, 02:42 »

yeah, but by default you have to press Alt in W7

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #916 on: 21 Sep 2011, 08:58 »

What just hit me:

You can use creative mode to go to the Nether, stab Ghasts in the face, swim in lava, and pick fights with zombie pigmen.

WOOOO
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #917 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:26 »

Notch is upping the stakes.

ackblom12

« Reply #918 on: 25 Sep 2011, 09:14 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #919 on: 25 Sep 2011, 10:41 »

You forgot to update your McMap. :P

ackblom12

« Reply #920 on: 25 Sep 2011, 11:07 »

oh right, ignore the previous link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?13xbww1x83lz83j

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #921 on: 26 Sep 2011, 18:38 »

I must have walked right by that NPC village on one of my exploration jaunts.

I have a working skeleton trap under my house at approximately -450, 100 (near that square of trees in the desert on the above map) if anybody needs to stock up on arrows and bones. I have a glass factory at the base of that hill, my house up top, and somebody's working on a subway station near the water. The entrance to get to the grinder is between my house and the subway station in the side of the hill. Also feel free to use the glass factory for you multi-furnace needs. The tree farm is for restocking the charcoal. At the top of the hill I have a small farm of wheat and melons, so if you haven't found melon seeds yet, there are some in a chest up there to get you started.

As I write this, I'm unable to get to the server, it can't be found by my client.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #922 on: 29 Sep 2011, 15:22 »

This is Mick, the butcher.

"Chick'ns! Get y'r chick'ns here, fresh from the choppin' block! Cook 'em, grill 'em, eat 'em raw, howev'r ya like!"

You can breed animals now, it's really cool. There's also Hardcore mode in the latest pre-release, which deletes your world after you die. I'm doing pretty good in it so far, this is my third world and I'm herding all these chickens so I can make more arrows.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #923 on: 02 Oct 2011, 10:30 »

Why does Minecraft seem extra-addicting when I have a ton of work to do?  Seriously, I have to get this shit done but Minecraft just sites there begging to be played.

Anyway, someone apparently broke down the code and figured out how potions were going to work with the cauldrons before jeb nixed them in place of a brewing station.  and, they made a mod for 1.9 prerelease 2 about it: Stuff about potion brewing

It looks pretty cool, although it seems very annoying that you have to make it to the nether before being able to get instant health potions.  And, with the whole food-not-replenishing-health fighting a lot of mobs at once has become rather hectic and scary.  (more than once I've had my health drop to 1 or .5 hearts and I had to run away to eat to shore up my hunger bar and then wait to heal)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #924 on: 02 Oct 2011, 11:17 »

The change in the armor system more than makes up for it. Now, instead of the armor's protection value diminishing linearly with its durability, each part protects you fully before it breaks completely. To compensate for this, only full diamond armor fills all 10 armor icons, and a full set of iron armor only fills 7.5. I expect a set of leather armor to fill 5 icons.

The net effect of this is that your armor makes you pretty much impregnable to attacks as long as you keep your food bar filled. The armor overhaul, combined with health regeneration, means that in more than one case I'd finish fighting three or four monsters in a tight underground space, glance at my health/armor bar, and see that both were just as full as when I started. That's really a bit too easy if you ask me. I hope they'll bring back the protection value degrading with damage in the final release.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #925 on: 02 Oct 2011, 11:51 »

It might be that they're planning for tougher monsters in the future - making zombies and skeletons small obstacles, and saving the big challenges for special "bosses" or other kinds of rare monsters.

All in all I feel that the guys at Mojang are looking at Terraria and going "what cool things can we borrow from that game?". I'm cool with that.

Anyone that has a clue about how animal breeding is going to work as in how you herd animals to a specific area?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #926 on: 02 Oct 2011, 12:12 »

Yeah, I repurposed some of a village's wheat farm as an animal pen. It was a real bitch to find cows. Herding them is made easy by the fact that animals will follow you anywhere as long as you have wheat in your hand. Use wheat to feed two animals that are in close proximity, and they will mate. This fits really well into the NPC villages, because once you find one and fence off the farms you'll have more wheat than you know what to do with. Now you have a new purpose; feed animals!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #927 on: 02 Oct 2011, 12:16 »

How do they... mate?

If there's no animation, I'm tempted to mod in black boxes that covers both of the animals, and big, pink hearts floating up from that thing.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #928 on: 02 Oct 2011, 12:52 »

Basically their models kind of clip into each other. Minecraft is family-friendly! The hearts are already there though.

ackblom12

« Reply #929 on: 04 Oct 2011, 10:23 »

Hey guys, I'm going to update the map when I can, but it may be a few days. A family medical emergency has us back in Rochester for an unknown period.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #930 on: 07 Oct 2011, 14:45 »

Chicken farms are really easy to pull of if you start out with 10 or so eggs. They grow exponentially, too, so you'll soon have plenty of MEAT.

If anyone wants to have a look at how my village is coming along, it's over at x:-330, z:570

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #931 on: 07 Oct 2011, 15:04 »

I hope your family is going to be all right, Steve!

The breeding works with baby animals now, so you can no longer produce incestuous offspring to infinity.

This is what I've built in the second/third pre-release.

(click to show/hide)

Hardcore.

ackblom12

« Reply #932 on: 09 Oct 2011, 12:41 »

I'm back as long as there is no bad news from the hospital, which is not guaranteed. Still quite a step up from Monday, but with Kat not being able to miss any more classes, we're back home for now.

New Map: http://www.mediafire.com/?1221wcypy3zx08i

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #933 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:31 »

There's a big ocean over at x=-2500, z=0, where Jimor has started setting up a base camp for further expansion. Beneath the place is a big ravine intersecting with a huge number of mine shafts. If you're looking for some sea-based buildings, just come over and join.

oh, and that ravine?

It's a ravine/ravine:

That's two ravines with one block between them.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 02:39 by snalin »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #934 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:50 »

I dug a tunnel opposite the one you dug to find those, and found another ravine/mine complex. I also built a bridge from the -2500,0 ocean point to the island that has the sea base (at approximately -2800,0). It's just a functional deck right now, I'll prettify it all later.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #935 on: 13 Oct 2011, 14:59 »

Pre release number 4 is out, adding the Ender realm. There's not much interesting to be found there, just a big floating hunk of green rock with obsidian towers and endermen.

Notch is adding moon phases, and wants to make the sun and moon round to accomodate. People didn't agree, so he put out a poll to decide: http://poll.pollcode.com/A0qQ

I think a square sun and moon are one of those little things that set the atmosphere for Minecraft: "Everything is blocks, haters gonna hate." So you should totally vote for square. ;)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #936 on: 13 Oct 2011, 16:44 »

in one of my forrays into non-default texture packs, i switched my square moon out for two shattered round moons right next to each other and it looked soooo much better

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #937 on: 13 Oct 2011, 17:27 »

all my forays into texture packs have resulted in me going back to default because they seem to be either horribly overdesigned or ridiculously huge and don't look good at all on low-geometry models.

or the novelty just wears off

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #938 on: 14 Oct 2011, 13:17 »

ackblom12

« Reply #939 on: 17 Oct 2011, 10:25 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #940 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:13 »

Okay, I've got a road to the westwards ocean planned, here's a map with the road overlain. I've marked the bridges with "B" and the place I want a tunnel with "T". If somebody wants to help out, that's great. I'm planning on a 3-wide stone brick road.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #941 on: 18 Oct 2011, 21:10 »

Very good! I'll start smooth stone/stone brick production in my factory. There will be a marked chest in the basement set aside for the road supplies.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #942 on: 18 Oct 2011, 21:59 »

I saw the sweet Western sea, was considering maybe trying to use the nether to get there fast. Are we waiting for 1.9 & it's nether updates before building portals though?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #943 on: 18 Oct 2011, 22:08 »

I don't know if that's the "official" stance, but I think that's the working assumption right now.

My understanding from brief perusals of the Minecraft forums is that rather than an official release of 1.9, Mojang is pretty much on a trajectory to just make what has been put into all the pre-releases so far as the final release on 11/11/11. Ahh, just looked, and there was a code-freeze announced. So yeah, I think we're going to be playing with what's there right now until the final release for all the new goodies. Gives us time to finish some base construction and infrastructure before really going wild.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #944 on: 18 Oct 2011, 22:10 »

you can download all the pre-releases as they come out though

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #945 on: 18 Oct 2011, 23:19 »

Someone has already made a nether portal (Odei?), but it should be pretty easy to reset the nether.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #946 on: 19 Oct 2011, 12:14 »

I hate building a portal and getting to the nether, just to have it overload with another portal someone else has already built. Did enjoy riding the railway around, though.

ackblom12

« Reply #947 on: 24 Oct 2011, 14:39 »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #948 on: 25 Oct 2011, 03:03 »

Two things:

One- There is a railway in the nether to the ocean. Anywhere near the spawn where you build a portal will take you to it, and you can just ride the powered tracks the whole way to another portal. You'll come out in a cave under the water (don't worry, there are stairs up), and just follow the instructions on the sign to sail your boat (you brought a boat, right?) to the little port. You can see the emergence point on the map as the little tower of burning netherack in the water. On the way back to the spawn area, you'll always portal out in Odei's keep. That is the way it is because that was the first Nether portal built.

Two- goddamnit I hate those goddamn experience orbs come fucking on man. I drowned, through no fault of my own (lag between my computer and the server, server thought I had not come up for air, my computer thought I had), and then could not recover my stuff because I died again at the bottom of the sea when that killer lag prevented me from swimming back up. Goddamn that's frustrating. I had like six stacks of wood (like tree blocks, not planks) that I was going to use to build a big ship, not to mention four diamond tools and a stack of glowstone plus whatever else. Man I am sick of this game being "In Beta".

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #949 on: 25 Oct 2011, 08:52 »

What does that have to do with experience orbs? Not that it's not frustrating or anything (or the games fault for that part - lag's a bitch anyways), but experience orbs?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Up