THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417241 times)

ackblom12

Re: Minecraft
« Reply #300 on: 03 Mar 2011, 13:34 »

Speaking of, should we start a new thread for server chat?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #301 on: 03 Mar 2011, 13:41 »

I mean, we might as well use this as a catch-all thread. This section of the forums is slow enough I think that I don't think we'll confuse too many people if we just keep this one going.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #302 on: 03 Mar 2011, 14:08 »

I've dug a small town, going to build some roads soon.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #303 on: 03 Mar 2011, 14:15 »

Found a natural cavern, mined the shit out of it, met a zombie, died, lost everything, fuck.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #304 on: 03 Mar 2011, 14:48 »

Brotip: When you find a natural cavern, put a chest and worktable next to the entrance. Explore it with a sword and torches until it is all lit up. If it is super large, bring cobblestone and block off parts. Then you can mine it to your hearts content with no fear.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #305 on: 04 Mar 2011, 02:00 »

Hey how come there's big chunks of the world missing?

öde

« Reply #306 on: 04 Mar 2011, 03:30 »

Something to do with lag and the new region loader, I guess. Happens to me all the time, try changing your render distance or logging off and on again.

EDIT: pressing 'F' to toggle fog works fairly often for me.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2011, 08:03 by öde »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #307 on: 04 Mar 2011, 18:02 »

I mean on the network server, but I will try that anyway and see if it solves the problem.

Also dudes, I am too scared to do anything on this server for fear of ruining someone else's in-progress project.  Everything looks like it's done a certain way for a reason, so I don't want to mess anything up!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #308 on: 04 Mar 2011, 18:44 »

Then start your own, or ask someone if you can help! I know for a fact that Steve essentially just needs every last block of sandstone that he can get, so usually when I hop on I just start digging, leaving the building up to him. But yeah, there is so much room on this map you can make a project that won't even bump shoulders with anyone elses. One of the things i want to do is make an arena of some sort out of the quarry that's next to the castle and the Tower of Babel, but I don't have any specific plans, any ideas?

Also I get what you mean though, I built that tower next to snalin's base without realizing he had further plans with it, and feel kind of like an asshole now for doing it.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #309 on: 04 Mar 2011, 18:57 »

I think I sorted out my issue, btw.  I cleared out the Minecraft files and got the client to re-download everything, now the big holes in the map are gone.  Hopefully it stays that way, because one of the holes was right in the middle of the big castle structure, so it was a bit of a shame seeing it half-wrecked.

Also, holy shit you guys.  I have never done as much mining as what you have, I think.  I went down into one of the holes in the ground and it just went on forever.  Nice one.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #310 on: 04 Mar 2011, 20:22 »

Man, I was trying to hollow out that mountain just off the side of the castle, with the ultimate goal of building a floating tower inside it, but somehow a creeper blew up the side of it. Then it got filled with creepers and I couldn't block it off fast enough.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

öde

« Reply #311 on: 05 Mar 2011, 03:27 »

There's some nice free space between snalin's fort and my place, feel free to take some equipment and material as well.

I've found a fairly large cavern, which is exciting! Can't wait to clear it out.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #312 on: 05 Mar 2011, 04:13 »

If anybody wants to help me with it they're welcome to. I've stopped digging to the left at the moment because it seemed big enough. Goal is to be able to build a 50 block high tower probably 10x10, that you can walk around, over and under. With lava waterfalls.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #313 on: 05 Mar 2011, 08:14 »

There's some nice free space between snalin's fort and my place

Is your place the square tower just down from Steve's massive sandstone construction zone?  If so: a. nice parapets, and b. if no-one else has plans for it, I'd like to build something in the water there, just to the south-west of the wooden walkway/bridge.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #314 on: 05 Mar 2011, 11:13 »

Also I get what you mean though, I built that tower next to snalin's base without realizing he had further plans with it, and feel kind of like an asshole now for doing it.

I didn't have any real further plans with it before I saw your thing. It also gave me a clear idea about how I could continue working on the entire thing. So everyone can do whatever with the walls as they want, and especially things inside them, just leave the turrets to me for now.

I've taken some pictures, I'll get some uploaded later on.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

öde

« Reply #315 on: 05 Mar 2011, 12:14 »

No, it's a bit further away, in the opposite direction. If you go into the tunnel next to the room in the fort, there should be a sign pointing out the tunnel there (Odei's mine, etc).

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #316 on: 05 Mar 2011, 12:17 »

I'd really like to get into the server just to tour around the place!
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #317 on: 05 Mar 2011, 12:26 »

There's some nice free space between snalin's fort and my place

Is your place the square tower just down from Steve's massive sandstone construction zone?  If so: a. nice parapets, and b. if no-one else has plans for it, I'd like to build something in the water there, just to the south-west of the wooden walkway/bridge.

Nope, that's mine, and a: thanks! and b: As long as it's not in the pools of water with the reeds nearby, because I use those to basejump into from the top of my tower.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #318 on: 05 Mar 2011, 17:03 »

I'm building an underwater fort near spawn. Cool?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ackblom12

« Reply #319 on: 05 Mar 2011, 17:17 »

Definitely, go for it.

The Tower of Babel is coming along nicely I think. LTK started building a huge glass PvP arena in it today and it is going to be fucking awesome.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #320 on: 06 Mar 2011, 10:00 »

Oh, I forgot to say that I built a secret smuggler's den somewhere. I think the port is comming along nicely, just missing a sleeping barracks and some extra decorations.

If you people have some ideas with what to use the large, open space above the port for, inside the castle, please do, I'm out of ideas.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #321 on: 06 Mar 2011, 10:12 »

You could add other, non-essential facilities. Dining room? Coffee corner? Washroom? Lounge?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

öde

« Reply #322 on: 06 Mar 2011, 12:31 »

Statues!

ackblom12

« Reply #323 on: 07 Mar 2011, 08:17 »

Server updates!

I was originally looking for a mini-map option to install for everyone but unfortunately everything I checked out was either server side use only or it didnt' work for me at all. On the other hand, I checked out bukkit while doing this and once we can do some testing we should be able to build working nethergates with a plugin I got ahold of.

Did some exploring. Its a little uneven because I somehow managed to leave without my compass, got all turned around and then died with far too much valuable clay. We have snowy biomes though!

Big Fuckoff Picture: http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8949/fuckbeaches.png

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #324 on: 07 Mar 2011, 09:22 »

Holy shit that's a huge picture.  My browser couldn't handle trying to open it in another tab, so I had to download it and view it externally.

On another server I frequent (my school's linux club's server) the owner had installed the bukkit plugin to allow for working portals for only one night.  He said it caused the computer to work crazy hard, so he uninstalled it.  It may be a bit much for this server, perhaps.

If people want mini-maps, each person could install better light/better grass.  I think that has an option for a mini-map.  My roommate used it (it broke with 1.3, but I'm not sure if it updated since then), and it worked on multiplayer servers.

Also, I was able to go on the QC server last night for an hour or so!  woo!  I probably won't be able to get on again till maybe the weekend, but wow, everything you all have made is soooo huge and amazing and pretty. 
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

ackblom12

« Reply #325 on: 07 Mar 2011, 09:25 »

well, there are multiple plugins. Not sure why it would cause that much more of a load honestly. It may also depend on how many folks are actually using it at a time.

I mean, this isn't exactly gonna be a Reddit or /tg/ server.

edit: I will look into the better light plugin, but since the world map is only on the server side I'm confused how it would actually work since you don't use the minecraft site to access servers anymore.

Also yeah, I'm thinking I'll just start loading the big map pictures to mediafire or some such. These are some huge pictures to be loading on a browser.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 09:43 by ackblom12 »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #326 on: 07 Mar 2011, 10:12 »

Welp, server kicked me and won't let me back on, that sucks. Did you accidentally turn it off or is something else going on or it it just me and my connection?

ackblom12

« Reply #327 on: 07 Mar 2011, 10:12 »

It's back up, one of the admin plug ins caused a problem. Just deleted it for the moment and it seems to be working with no errors this time.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #328 on: 07 Mar 2011, 10:15 »

hah, my underground mine of awesome ran smack-dab into the no-mining-area surrounding spawn. NEW DIRECTION FOR THE MINE OF DOOM
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #329 on: 07 Mar 2011, 13:50 »

I started leveling off/walling up a section somewhere near everyone else's stuff, but far enough away so as not to cause a disturbance, and then I got mauled by a mob, respawned some weirdass location, killed myself, got stuck in a giant cliff bug, finally got out, and then couldn't find my way back to my section. I see it on the bigass map, (south southwest of Babel), so hopefully now I can find it in game. I lost like 10 iron tools and a ton of material when I died. Sorry for looting the keep and not replacing stuff.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Papersatan

« Reply #330 on: 07 Mar 2011, 19:47 »

Babel has 8 out of 16 layers done.  Out of sandstone again.  :(
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

öde

« Reply #331 on: 08 Mar 2011, 06:43 »

I've finished the outline on my mountain! I guess it's time to do some serious mining to get enough stone for my statue + other projects (woo lavafall!).

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #332 on: 08 Mar 2011, 07:43 »

I'm thinking of some way to make small statues - gargoyles or something like that, that's not bigger than maximum 4x4. It basically has to be a recognizable shape made in a few, big blocks.
 :psyduck:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #333 on: 08 Mar 2011, 08:16 »

You could, uh, stack stair blocks on half-blocks? That makes it sort of look like a head with a mouth.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #334 on: 08 Mar 2011, 09:03 »

So um, just a question, is the succession game all done now that there's a server up?  I just wanna see what the last settler did and read his journal.  Did I miss the post where it was uploaded?
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #335 on: 08 Mar 2011, 12:38 »

I finished it, and finished the journal, and promptly forgot to upload it. It sits at my father's pc, and I won't be back there before next Tuesday, unless something happens. Sorry, guys!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #336 on: 08 Mar 2011, 12:39 »

I built something on the server. When you see it, you will shit bricks.

öde

« Reply #337 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:26 »

Thankfully Minecraft has started crashing so I can get on with my life.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #338 on: 08 Mar 2011, 14:46 »

I built something on the server. When you see it, you will shit bricks.

There is literally no place more ideal than where you put it. Let me show you why.

I built a giant lava/water double helix and am standing at the top of it.

öde

« Reply #339 on: 08 Mar 2011, 15:06 »

hahahahahaha yes

ackblom12

« Reply #340 on: 08 Mar 2011, 15:31 »

Snalin,

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #341 on: 08 Mar 2011, 16:02 »

wow that's awesome
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #342 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:27 »

Guys, I've been trying to think of new ideas and inspiration for projects/mega projects and I think we should make a giant fallen statue that's broken up into chunks, only on a truly massive scale, like, head is the size of Tower of Babel, and the other body parts are to match.

Alternatively on a smaller and much more manageable scale I want to build a giant volcano on an island and put an evil genius lair in it all bond villain like, with a missile silo and glass dome under lava setup.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #343 on: 08 Mar 2011, 23:20 »

I think that my project will be done by the end of this weekend.  At least the main house will be, not gonna do the whole thing.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #344 on: 09 Mar 2011, 01:27 »

My project is honestly going to take forever at this rate

öde

« Reply #345 on: 09 Mar 2011, 02:50 »

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #346 on: 09 Mar 2011, 02:59 »

Cool. I was thinking of making floating rings of lava for lighting in my mountain, nice to know we have plenty of magma around.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #347 on: 09 Mar 2011, 06:20 »

Built a prison in the desert. Also the tower near the floating island and prison has a side entrance in a sheer cliff face near the prison. You don't have to stack blocks to get in.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #348 on: 09 Mar 2011, 06:59 »

Err, I don't think that's the case. What used to be a sheer cliff entrance is now the inside of the prison. There's no door.

Which makes it a pretty good prison. You do have to make sure your inmates don't get their hands on pickaxes. Come to think of it, a true Minecraftian society would have a big crime problem considering how almost everyone can destroy almost everything.

The other day I was thinking of how Creepers can be thought of as shady door-to-door salesmen who sell explosion insurance. *BOOM* "Should have gotten better coverage, sucker!" Maybe they'll go away if you throw gold ingots at them.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #349 on: 09 Mar 2011, 07:56 »

Hm. Making a Minecraft prison...

Well you can't just make the typical locked building, since with enough time inmates could break down the walls. You could have guards to try and prevent that, but they would have to resort to force in the end, so any sentence would likely end up as capital punishment.

An effective system of long-term containment is going to have to rely on cobblestone, or something else that can't be harvested with bare hands. Otherwise, there really is no way to keep someone somewhere. I presume you're going to want to be able to access your prisoner at some point. If you DIDN'T need to keep access to them available, you could probably build a small cell and submerge it in lava. OR you could have some fun and build an extremely tall 1x1 tower, put the prisoner at the top, and then remove all the blocks underneath the top one, leaving them suspended in midair.

If being able to access and monitor the prisoners IS a necessity, I'm think a pit trap of some sort might be best, probably with a lava moat. It would have to be at or near bedrock though, to keep inmates from tunneling under the lava. This way you can also maintain access from catwalks overhead.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Up