THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417155 times)

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #350 on: 09 Mar 2011, 09:46 »

On a friend's server people had trouble with another friend griefing.  So he created a little prison out of adminium/bedrock with a series of 1 block windows.  He gave everyone else on the server the ability to transport Bill (the griefing friend) to the "Time Out Zone" where he'd be unable to do anything and get bored and apologize for griefing.  But, for whatever reason, he will eventually grief again...

But that's an actual prison, not one just for aesthetics.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #351 on: 09 Mar 2011, 12:11 »

Well yes. I was also making the assumption that we couldn't manipulate adminium.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

ackblom12

« Reply #352 on: 09 Mar 2011, 13:06 »

If we need to do anything like that I'll happily spawn a shitload for everybody,

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #353 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:29 »

You could also use obsidian, which can only be mined with a diamond pick, I bet that would be a good material to use on the surface. Metal doors only openable from the outside, too. Now in terms of anything being a permanent unescapable option, anything that kills a person is going to mean they just spawn at the spawn point anyway, so i figure just looks plus cool features is all you need to go for, rather than actual practicality.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #354 on: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13 »

four metal doors in a circle would do the job.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #355 on: 09 Mar 2011, 17:29 »

You guys have no imagination
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #356 on: 09 Mar 2011, 18:00 »

It is mostly a prison for show, not really for actual use, like most of the stuff in our server.
Also, I found it right after I had built the prison, but I'm working on an external door to the tower.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #357 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:21 »

Oh lordy this is taking forever. I've got about 20x50x20 to go, and I'm doing it with stone pickaxes because I'm barely below sea level
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #358 on: 11 Mar 2011, 11:36 »

The arena is pretty much done now. If I had to dirty my mouth, I would have to say that it does look epic.

Now that's been done I added a few more levels to Babel. You know, being only three blocks in height, the rooms feel a little cramped. Wouldn't it be a better idea to put in a floor every six blocks? The rooms can always be compartimentalized.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2011, 13:04 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #359 on: 12 Mar 2011, 01:26 »

this is what I've done so far. I get bored of digging one way so I've been digging in a slope, the lowest part is at y20, going up to about eighty

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #360 on: 12 Mar 2011, 13:18 »

Why do your torches have those weird edges?

Oh, by the way, it's done, you guys.

(Yes, I did have to include my own tower in there, why do you ask?)
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #361 on: 12 Mar 2011, 15:51 »

I don't know.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #362 on: 12 Mar 2011, 17:26 »

that is stupendous, what's the inside like?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #363 on: 12 Mar 2011, 20:21 »

So, I just played through Gourd Avenger 2 and it was a very well designed Adventure map. (I would have gone online to the QC server but I was having internet troubles on the computer that's able to run Minecraft (This computer I'm on now has only 512MB of RAM and would never be able to handle Minecraft)) I had a lot of fun.  I'm wondering, have any of you played any other really good adventure maps?

(I was playing this b/c the Yogscast guys just played through Gourd Avenger 1 and I wanted to play 2 before they did and spoiled parts of it for me.  Speaking of which, does anyone else here watch the Yogscast Minecraft videos?  They're really really funny.  It's these 2 British friends who play a large Minecraft adventure map.)

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #364 on: 12 Mar 2011, 20:47 »

Yea their videos in general are pretty hilarious.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #365 on: 12 Mar 2011, 22:21 »

So I've dug out my hole, and now I find myself at a loss for the design of the tower.

I'm thinking floor to ceiling glass windows on the corners with floors alternating between 10x10x5 and 8x8x5 boxes. Cobble because so much of the surrounding is stone.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #366 on: 13 Mar 2011, 06:21 »

that is stupendous, what's the inside like?

Inside the tower there is a 32x32x16 glass PvP arena filled with lava. I'd take a screenshot but I'm currently in faraway lands so I can't get there.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #367 on: 13 Mar 2011, 06:26 »

can we have a new picture of the server please? Much has changed

ackblom12

« Reply #368 on: 13 Mar 2011, 09:22 »

Yeah, the tower is nowhere near done. And Kat and I are probably gonna take down the last floor or two cause we had specific plans for the top of the tower and didn't realize it was being built on. We was distracted the last several days. Still gotta get the interior done, make a proper entrance etc. etc.

Big fuck-off map:
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?u6icj9n5alj45b7

Edit: Psyduck makes for amazing aerial shots.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2011, 09:45 by ackblom12 »

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #369 on: 13 Mar 2011, 14:15 »

I finally found some money to buy minecraft. Can I join your server?
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #370 on: 13 Mar 2011, 14:50 »

pm ackblom

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #371 on: 13 Mar 2011, 18:54 »

So I was on the server earlier today and suggested to someone else online about potentially installing personal warps through bukkit (the link provided is not necessarily the best available mod, I just searched personal warp and this came up on top).  What do others think?  It would reduce travel times if a person wants to jump to someone else and help with a project, or quickly act as a tourist around the server, or would like to spread out their projects in dif't areas (say a snowfort in the desert and a sandcastle in the snow).  But, it could also encourage someone to "cheat" by simply warping home if he's under attack, or warp home after finding some loot in a cave, etc.  So there are ups and downs to it.  Thoughts?

Also, while I was on I found my second ever Skeleton riding a Spider (the first i've ever found in SMP).  It looked a bit wonky, with teh skeleton sort of sitting off to the side of the spider as they moved as one unit.  Woah, that pic looks very dark on this comp.  It was more visible in teh game.
Also also, an unloaded chunk allowed for me to take these awesome pics of the Tower of Babel, with a cross section of the inside!

and a closer one

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #372 on: 13 Mar 2011, 21:16 »

Runecraft has teleporters and a lot of other neat stuff.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

ackblom12

« Reply #373 on: 14 Mar 2011, 06:21 »

Runecraft I'm a bit curious about.

I won't deny I'm skeptical, but not opposed, to mods like this. I kinda like the idea of being forced to get creative when it comes to safe travel between locations rather than relying on teleportation. Necessity breeds creativity and all that.

On the other hand, as we get projects more spread out this could be fantastic. People should seriously voice their opinions on this cause if it is wanted then I'm down for a test run.

Edit: I'm a lot more interested now that I know I could make a gigantic fucking entrance door for Babel if I so choose.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2011, 06:27 by ackblom12 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #374 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:15 »

Just to be sure nobody does anything with it, I wanna use the beach just outside (southwest/west) of the castle for a fishing hamlet.

We should also make a map which says who built what, or at least who's the main contributor. Like, take the world map and add annotations. It get's kinda confusing after a while when everybody's talking about "my tower".

ackblom12

« Reply #375 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:48 »

Fair point. I can start adding that to every map if everyone would be willing to make a claim in the thread about what's theirs. That or add a sign to your base so I can check on it myself.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #376 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:19 »

When I try to download and unzip the big map all I get is a fuzzy image when I try to zoom in, and the one you posted a link to doesn't get big enough to show off any real detail, anyone got any ideas?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ackblom12

« Reply #377 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:21 »

hmm, let me just upload the image to Imageshack then. The zipping must have killed it and M/F won't let me link it as a download if I don't.

Edit: One big fuck-off map to go.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6687/psypsypsy.png

Though oddly enough, the download doesn't have any quality issues for me. Oh well, whichever you prefer and works for you is available!
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2011, 10:34 by ackblom12 »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #378 on: 14 Mar 2011, 11:35 »

All I've built on the server so far is a lame dome of a tiny hut with a glass/cobblestone checkered roof.  Eventually I shall make greatness, though. 

I really like the Runecraft teleportation--having to create two matching runes and that's what teleports you.  I think its a lot more of level field since you have to travel by foot to one of the runes and then that pushes you to the other place.  people couldn't easily cheat with it, I don't think, but they'd still be able to easily travel far distances in safety.  The 2-way teleporter also seems quite perfect

For whatever reason every time I download the new maps it doesn't load for me at first (the comp says it's got an error), but then I open it in GIMP (which works fine for whatever reason) and I see the map only takes up one corner of the whole image, the other parts are just blank, so I crop that part out and resave it, and that image I can then open and zoom in on all fine and whatnot.  (holy crap, that's a horrible sentence, but I don't feel like fixing it)  Is that just me, or does everyone else also see two sides of the map unfilled?
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2011, 11:41 by smack that isaiah »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #379 on: 14 Mar 2011, 11:40 »

The imageshack map, when saved to my computer, works fine and is detailed enough as well. Also, I've played on a server with Runecraft before, and it really added a lot to the experience, not only with teleporting but also with tool runes and the sort. I highly recommend installing it.

öde

« Reply #380 on: 14 Mar 2011, 15:46 »

I'm not sure, I really want to travel to the snowy area in the west/south of the map to build a more dwarfy home, I kinda like the idea of the distance, but at the same time I wouldn't want to be cut off from everyone. Not sure how long it'd take to mine my way there.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #381 on: 14 Mar 2011, 17:06 »

Build an above ground bridge road all the way to it! No cheating guys, no teleportation stuuuuufffffff. If you want a fast way of getting somewhere reliably and safely you go find yourself some iron and get to building yourself a railroad.

I've decided that my town in the south is going to be one of several island areas that are going to be a nation that gets by mostly with boat travel, which means multiple docks equipped with Craft-a-Boat stations and awesomeness. Definitely gonna build a bridge and road back to the main settlement though, boats bug out pretty frequently...

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #382 on: 14 Mar 2011, 17:08 »

do minecarts work in SMP yet?

I remember that they distinctly did not work for a long time. In fact, they broke the game if you tried to use them. But I heard they might be more stable now. maybe even useable.

as i've said, i've been away from MC for far too long
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #383 on: 14 Mar 2011, 17:23 »

Even so like, I'm okay with walking as long as the path is protected day and night, and that's easily doable still anyways.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #384 on: 14 Mar 2011, 21:15 »

There are so many other advantages to runecraft other than teleportation. Tool upgrades, mineshaft digging runes, hidden door runes, its just so cool and it adds so much to the game.

And also, can we try and cut back on the strip mining, or at least flatten things out and cover it with dirt/sand. I logged in to a very unsightly strip mine just next to the entrance of my tower.

ackblom12

« Reply #385 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:06 »

Yeah, gonna start cleaning up the massive strip mine me and Kat made today now that you mention it. May not sand it up just yet but I'll at least try and get a layer of dirt up and ready. Now that we've got most of the sandstone we needed (maybe all of it) we shouldn't need to do it for Babel anymore at least.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #386 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:18 »

When I strip sand/sandstone (as I did with a beach just recently), I plug the holes (all of it) with dirt, and add sand as the top layer. Suddenly you have a one-layer beach that looks just like a normal beach, and a shitton of sand and sandstone top up atop of it. And since I'm flattening out the area below the castle to use as a village of some sort, there's always enough dirt.

You could also cover everything with one layer of dirt and sand atop of that, but that you'd have a great, big empty space that either forces you to spend a lot of torches/lava to light it, or makes you hear monsters all the time. It's also hard to dig cellars etc.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #387 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:21 »

I just killed myself by accidentally right clicking when I was holding a bucket of lava, and managed to destroy all my diamond tools and the glass I had forged.

This tower is slowly becoming more trouble than it is worth.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #388 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:37 »

Lesson learned: never, ever have a bucket of lava equipped unless you're actually planning to plant some lava.

Also don't mix lava and diamond unless you have a shitload of diamond.

edit: continuation game here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1c3jqms7a66cgab
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 08:43 by snalin »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #389 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:30 »

Speaking of that continuation game, it seems that others had the same idea...

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #390 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:31 »

Could we have another map? Because I got myself totally lost in the nowhere.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 08:32 by Dliessmgg »
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #391 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:40 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?cds1uiss175dwd7
There ya go.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #392 on: 16 Mar 2011, 14:37 »

Is the server down right now? I can't seem to connect, or even ping it.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ackblom12

« Reply #393 on: 16 Mar 2011, 14:47 »

It's definitely up right now and I've got at least one other person connected. Try again and if it doesn't work let me know so I can just try to reboot the software before I head out for the night.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #394 on: 16 Mar 2011, 15:08 »

Guess I can't connect at work. No big deal; heading home in a bit.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ackblom12

« Reply #395 on: 17 Mar 2011, 09:59 »

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/06/freeware_app_pick_cube_kingdom.html

If anyone is interested, this is a program I am considering using for quick building creating just to make sure what I am planning will look like I expect.

Also I am probably going to install runecraft today or later tonight. I'll post in the thread when the server is going down and comes back up.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #396 on: 17 Mar 2011, 10:48 »

I lit a forest on fire last night. Also died and lost a lot of buckets and some glass.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #397 on: 17 Mar 2011, 11:01 »

I'm quite upset that the infinite fire burning "glitch" was fixed in single player (I'm not sure if it was fixed in SMP or not) b/c it made things looks so cool.  And Notch even said at one point that he liked it and didn't want to get rid of it.  Now a forest fire eventually goes out and eats up all the wood leaving just plains instead of a bunch of burning floating tree trunks. 

Also, sweet Runecraft.  I'll have to make some time on the weekend to go on and play around.

ackblom12

« Reply #398 on: 17 Mar 2011, 21:06 »

Alright, server is loaded with the Runecraft plug-in and supposedly has loaded properly. Need to do some testing to confirm it is working proper.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #399 on: 17 Mar 2011, 21:29 »

The power pick and power shovel rune works.
I already tested that.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28   Go Up