THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417126 times)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #400 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:14 »

Hey, so we get pet wolves soon, that's pretty sweet.

Seriously, this'll make it worth it to play single player again for a while, having your own wolf pack, chillin' in the wilds all survivalist style, could support a completely different style of play than the usual mega-project building:

"So What do you do in Minecraft, man?"

"I hunt."

so you can tame em with bones, make them attack shit, and it looks like how high their tail is indicates their health level, so that's cool.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #401 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:34 »

Awesome!

I made a teleporter to my place, but I can't get the one back to Snalin's fort working.

ackblom12

« Reply #402 on: 18 Mar 2011, 12:03 »

Holy shit Phil DO WANT

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #403 on: 18 Mar 2011, 12:27 »

We need a central hub for teleporters. What'll it be, the Keep or Babel? I think the bottom floor of Babel would be a good place to redirect teleporters.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #404 on: 18 Mar 2011, 12:38 »

i was gonna suggest an isolated teleporter nexus way up in the sky, or underwater, or something

it'd be cool to have an elaborate platform/room with a bunch of teleporters arrayed around it. i always like stuff like that, i dunno
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #405 on: 18 Mar 2011, 13:17 »

It should be its own building  and I think we should all build our own.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #406 on: 18 Mar 2011, 13:36 »

Something way close to spawn, though.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #407 on: 18 Mar 2011, 14:03 »

HOLY SHIT THE WOLVES SO CUTE
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #408 on: 18 Mar 2011, 16:34 »

It should be its own building  and I think we should all build our own.

When you say 'build your own' I'm going to assume you don't mean that each of us is supposed to make a teleporter chamber that links to every other place in the world, because that would be a ridiculous amount of work. All we need is one waypoint at any location that's surrounded by teleporters that link to other places in the world. In turn, every waypoint also serves as a teleporter back to the hub. See the minecraft wiki article on Runecraft on how to make double teleporters. The hub wouldn't necessarily need to be near the spawn point because you could just make another teleporter next to the spawn that links to it.

I like the idea of an underwater teleporter room. Anything aboveground would take up way too much space.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #409 on: 18 Mar 2011, 18:26 »

I meant that we should build teleporters from our creations, IE, not have a person go and put a teleporter in my place somewhere, let me put it in my place.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #410 on: 18 Mar 2011, 18:40 »

I'd let someone put it in my place as long as I picked the spot and could make it look cool n shit.

An underwater hub would be cool, but I don't think that we don't have enough space to do it on the surface, I mean, our server is huge. I think a floating one would be pretty sweet, a collection of floating islands connected by bridges, each island for a different teleporter, possibly themed based on the place (sandstone for desert environment or just each person's building style).

Either that or like a huge open park enclosed by a tall but simple wall, with flowers and trees arranged in like a french style garden, with like, pavilions for each teleporter.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #411 on: 18 Mar 2011, 18:48 »

Floating hub would be insane.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #412 on: 18 Mar 2011, 19:21 »

Started work on an underwater hub.

Fuck yeah tool runes. Its just between babel and snalin's keep. There's a bunch of gravel and some cobblestone by the shore where it is at. You have to break a block to get in.
I just decided to do this, so if we don't want it, whatever, I'll just ignore it. Also there's a cavern below the left side there and below the cobblestone steps back up toward the surface.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #413 on: 18 Mar 2011, 22:05 »

I'm imagining a floating hub with runes, arranged in a circular fashion, that teleport to different locations, and one in the middle that leads to one on the ground near everything.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 22:07 by Cire27 »
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #414 on: 19 Mar 2011, 02:32 »

The floating hub certainly sounds awesome.

Reading up on the portals, it seems like every one needs a unique signature material, so we should probably have some way to remember which leads to which, right?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #415 on: 19 Mar 2011, 06:05 »

That's what signposts are for.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #416 on: 21 Mar 2011, 10:55 »

Okay, I'm going to build a waypoint in the castle. I'm guessing it'll be easiest if everyone uses tier 1 blocks for the actual construction, and whatever block we like as the signature runes.

The castle will have cobblestone as it's signature, as that seems to make sense. I'm guessing that it'll be practical to have dirt be the signature for the central teleporting hub, however we implement that one. I guess the best way to construct the teleporters would be to make the waypoint under the ground with the local signature, and an teleporter exit atop that which leads to the central hub.

EDIT: seems like cobblestone won't work as signature. I'll go for gravel instead.
EDITEDIT: they can't be the same. So I'll make a gravel waypoint with a clean stone signature. remember that you can use signatures of different kinds of blocks. To teleport to them, you have to make the same pattern in a common compass direction.
EDITEDITEDIT: it wrrrrks!
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2011, 11:04 by snalin »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #417 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:57 »

okay after reading the runecraft wiki and watching the videos I still don't know how the hell it works, anyone willing to help me install a teleporter on my island?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #418 on: 21 Mar 2011, 15:03 »

What is this?

Let's Look Closer!

This must be the spot of the

Minecraft PocketVille house building competition!

Rules:

• Choose one of the six lots (more will be added if neccessary), and Build Your House!
  • Keep within the dimensions! No more than 11x8 big groundfloor, and 10 blocks is the maximum height (pluss 1 more for stuff on the roof)
  • Use any materials you want!
  • Make your house look awesome!
  • If you haven't started playing Minecraft, or hasn't joined our server yet, NOW IS THE TIME! PM ackblom for the ip (he's renting, so he's the boss. But he's also a nice guy, and we want more peoples!)
  • you can build cellars, but beware, there might be something dug underneath your house, so I cannot guarantee that there's room for that. Integrate whatever's under the house into it, or just ignore the lower z-dimensions entirely
  • Winner gets hugs!

The thoughts behind this project is that first of all, we make all of our stuff way too far appart. I want to see how it can work out if we build our stuff close to each other. Secondly, most of us are building all of these megaprojects - Kat and Stephen with the tower of Babel, me with the castle, Odei with the dorf fortress, and so on. I hope that we can really challenge ourselves to make something neat if we are confined to small dimensions.

Feel free to take anything you want from the castle storehouse, and I'm pretty sure everyone else will allow you to loan their tools and materials, although if you're going to use a lot of steel/gold/diamond blocks, you should probably get them yourself or ask nicely, as those take a while to make.

Don't be afraid of stuff matching poorly with whatever's next to it - that can be just as cool as a perfectly matched neighborhood.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #419 on: 21 Mar 2011, 15:13 »

Ooooh, I wanna do that.  This weekend, after weeding through paperwork and files for my summer internship, I will hopefully find time to make myself a nice house in one of those lots. 

This's a really nice, simple project.  I really like it!
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Papersatan

« Reply #420 on: 21 Mar 2011, 19:13 »

aaawww yeah.  it is ON.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #421 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:19 »

I'm not sure if it's clear or not from what I wrote, but the space you have is including the dirt squares that's placeholders for now.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #422 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:12 »

Yeah that did actually confuse me a bit, cool though I picked myself a spot as well, totally in this. We need to creeper-proof that area though, like, badly.

So is it time for another world map update?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #423 on: 22 Mar 2011, 13:31 »

Just walled in the competition area, so creepers shouldn't be a problem any longer.

Who is it that's building this building? The wall is just going to overlap it, and if I want to build out the landmass to the wall, that'll maybe cover something on the ground. I can build around it, that's no problem, but if it's okay with whomever's making it, I'd like to make the wall a straight line.

So is it time for another world map update?

please!

You could also start adding annotations, and put numbers next to everything you don't know who built, and then we can figure out who built everything afterwards.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2011, 13:33 by snalin »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #424 on: 22 Mar 2011, 13:40 »

That used to be est's house. It got burned down.

ackblom12

« Reply #425 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:12 »

New map both with and without annotations!

http://www.mediafire.com/?3bon8bw8al1w975

I also notice that I forgot to label one. The tower that's circled but doesn't have any name attached to it is Dliessmgg's.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #426 on: 22 Mar 2011, 15:14 »

Can I have that as a jpg? My pc can't handle pngs of that size at all.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #427 on: 22 Mar 2011, 15:42 »

Yeah, that is/was my scale model of Fallingwater.  I had not yet realised it had burned down, because I haven't been able to play in a while.  How the fuck did that happen? :(

If I rebuild it maybe I'll use sandstone in the place of wood, but I really don't know how the fuck it burned down, because I didn't think it wasn't close enough to trees to catch fire from any of them in the case of a forest fire.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #428 on: 22 Mar 2011, 15:44 »

also, I already had plans to expand the house out toward the area that this comp is going on in (just a little) and also back about as much again as my place originally took up.  But if my house is mostly burned down now then I guess just pull my place apart if need be and I can build it elsewhere.  I wasn't really happy with the way it was turning out anyway.

ackblom12

« Reply #429 on: 22 Mar 2011, 15:50 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?och5wfxq3blode2

jpg version of the map is right there.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #430 on: 22 Mar 2011, 16:17 »

#5 on the annotation map is my new tower.  The little stone nub directly under the number 5 on the map is my old house, which I'll prob tear down (mostly) once I'm done on the new tower. 
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

ackblom12

« Reply #431 on: 22 Mar 2011, 19:44 »

Ok, I'm gonna move the world over to the new server tonight after editing out the huge lost leg. If you try to log on later and aren't able to connect you know why. If I haven't sent you login information by tomorrow morning just pm me to remind me to get it to you.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #432 on: 22 Mar 2011, 20:51 »

goddamned lava. Fell into it when I was bored and digging a stairwell to the bottom and destroyed 5 diamond tools plus a crapton of iron and gold ore. D: D: D:
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #433 on: 22 Mar 2011, 21:55 »

Yeah, that is/was my scale model of Fallingwater.  I had not yet realised it had burned down, because I haven't been able to play in a while.  How the fuck did that happen? :(

If I rebuild it maybe I'll use sandstone in the place of wood, but I really don't know how the fuck it burned down, because I didn't think it wasn't close enough to trees to catch fire from any of them in the case of a forest fire.

Yeah that was my fault I think. I was messing around with a rune that allowed you to light things on fire with a sword, and I guess I hit it from really far away. I've got a bunch of sandstone/wood in a chest under the desert tower that you can take to rebuild.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #434 on: 22 Mar 2011, 22:03 »

Oh, and on the map
2 & 3 are both my creations. 2 was my prison turned wave pool turned grassy area for animals. 3 was going to be a 30 block diameter sphere made out of smooth stone, but I abandoned that, did something else, but then didn't like it so I am gonna go back and get rid of it later. if anyone wants to get rid of it go for it, but there's some lava inside of it.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #435 on: 22 Mar 2011, 22:53 »

I still just see a blurry image when I dled either of those files, and I didn't see any annotations, and I don't know whyyyyy.

ackblom12

« Reply #436 on: 22 Mar 2011, 23:23 »

Ok, I just sent a PM to everybody I think. If you didn't get a PM from me just let me know.

It should contain the new server IP as well as the login information and a download link for Teamspeak 3.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #437 on: 23 Mar 2011, 04:20 »

I didn't.

ackblom12

« Reply #438 on: 23 Mar 2011, 07:25 »

Just sent it to ya..

ackblom12

« Reply #439 on: 23 Mar 2011, 07:59 »

Well, funny thing is we're already about 3x our map size limit even after I cut out some of the longer bits and I'm about to test to see if the borderguard even lets us hit some of the outlying structures with the current limit. Looking at the options to get the map to fit we'd need (especially if we want to keep that awesome lava waterfall off in the distance) about a 12 slot option, which would up the server cost to $31.51 a month from $18 or so. This includes an extra number of player slots as well as the larger map size. From looking around at some other places this still doesn't seem particularly unreasonable though I'm still not certain I have a good grasp on server costs. It does seem like a lot of the cheaper options would likely have player slot limitations and map size limits even if they do not have much emphasis placed on them initially just due to the extra PC resources that would be necessary.

Funny thing is it seems that this is why we're so over on our map size.

http://minemap.verygames.net/server2846/world/

Apparently the server still thinks that land is there. I tested it with my map maker after cutting it out with MCEdit, but I guess it didn't actually take.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 10:10 by ackblom12 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #440 on: 23 Mar 2011, 13:20 »

Can you mail the people that run the site and ask if they can help you fix that?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #441 on: 23 Mar 2011, 13:54 »

Ok, I just sent a PM to everybody I think. If you didn't get a PM from me just let me know.

It should contain the new server IP as well as the login information and a download link for Teamspeak 3.

I didn't receive one.

ackblom12

« Reply #442 on: 23 Mar 2011, 14:02 »

Should have one now.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #443 on: 23 Mar 2011, 21:23 »

If you want to build a teleporter to the underground hub, the signature is just 4 glass blocks. There you will find teleporters to my creations, and a bunch of blanks where you can put your own signatures, just make sure to place a sign next to it so we know who goes where. It is still open to the surface right now, too. It is a small cobblestone/stone stairs entrance between babel and snalin's keep off the coast.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #444 on: 24 Mar 2011, 04:11 »

I've jumped in the end lot. Got a plan for an irregular shaped house made mostly out of wood and glass, with some smelted stone. Only thing is I've destroyed part of the fortress wall but I'll patch over it as I build. Not having a cobble back wall, it'll probably be smelted stone.

Also, a little help. I put a steel door in, for the colour more than anything, and I put a stone button right next to it for opening. Trouble is that it opens for about a second then shuts, and if I run through it it jumps me back out the front as if it was lagging. Any ideas?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #445 on: 24 Mar 2011, 05:03 »

Put pressure plates in front of the door. If the wall is secure and monsters don't spawn in there, the house should still be safe.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #446 on: 24 Mar 2011, 13:52 »

Everyone should remember that if their roofs don't have any light sources, there will be creepers at night.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #447 on: 24 Mar 2011, 20:58 »

so just put a torch up there?

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #448 on: 24 Mar 2011, 22:58 »

oh for fucks sake my house burned down when I wasn't looking. All that (really rather expensive) light grey wool and wood gone.

I was sure I had my lava fireplace safely contained. Oh well, I'll have to destroy it.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #449 on: 25 Mar 2011, 01:12 »

Oh for crying out lout it burned down again
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Up