THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417453 times)

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #600 on: 02 May 2011, 08:05 »

The filter is due to the fact that apparently one of the old m/f threads was showing up as the top link on Google when people searched for m/f or something.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #601 on: 02 May 2011, 08:23 »

It is not felt to be a good idea for a thread in these forums to come out as a top result when searching for illegal music downloads.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ackblom12

« Reply #602 on: 02 May 2011, 08:34 »

Just to let you guys know, I'm going to be out of state from Wed morning to late Monday night. I'm going to leave the server running but if it goes down in that time I won't have anything to access it with while I'm gone.

And there it updated. Woo!

And it gives the same error as the server we rented did, so I guess that was what was wrong with it, missing sync between versions.

Nah, it wasn't just that. After the update not a single one of us could actually connect and it only happened a few minutes after the server started. Worked fine for about 5 minutes or so and then nothing. So damn frustrating.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #603 on: 02 May 2011, 12:39 »

btw, guys, did you read how Mojang is going to support modding?

By releasing the source code for every user to get access to. How awesome isn't that? How really friggin awesome isn't that?

I'll be able to modify Minecraft just as I want with no interface or other junk that obscures the workings of the program. I'll get access to a code base that's directly relevant to my education, and it even uses the same repository as I'm used to! I'm so happy!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #604 on: 02 May 2011, 12:44 »

Not every user. You'll have to register as a mod developer with them and agree to certain terms, including that they can use your mod in the official game. It's not a free-for-all like you sound it to be, but yes, still pretty awesome.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #605 on: 02 May 2011, 20:11 »

So just what is that thing floating over the psyduck?

Someone's abandoned project. It involved a lot of lava and water. I think I should take it down some time.

I took it down just now. Hope nobody minds. It bothered me, as it was on my way from the castle to my base and it was ugly.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #606 on: 03 May 2011, 13:21 »

Thanks! I started to remove it but forgot that I filled it with lava and made a big ol mess and then just filed it under "take care of it later" but I don't play as often anymore.

Also RE: modding, I think it is great what they are doing, and they aren't just going to use people's mods with no regard to the mod creator, I believe that they said for major mods they would probably compensate the mod creator(s) with money, which I think is super cool.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #607 on: 03 May 2011, 13:40 »

I've been doing some spelunking, and it seems like the patch notes wasn't kidding about "improved performance". I've noticed that mobs work slightly better, but mainly the block lag has gone from respawning blocks to just taking it's time before dropping them, which is a major, major improvement. Yay!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #608 on: 03 May 2011, 13:42 »

Also RE: modding, I think it is great what they are doing, and they aren't just going to use people's mods with no regard to the mod creator, I believe that they said for major mods they would probably compensate the mod creator(s) with money, which I think is super cool.

Hmm, no, Mojang paying money for your mods is more of a 'maybe'. In any case, mod developers are not supposed to sell them. Still, compensating a fan who put their heart and soul into the mod that everyone wants would be the cool thing to do, and so I expect they'll do it.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #609 on: 03 May 2011, 13:53 »

Holy crap am I excited about the in-game map. Like, I already use map tools, but I feel like this fits the game better to such a degree that I'm willing to go for the far more basic style he's got with it. Also nether in multiplayer, so we don't have to use a mod for it, sweet.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

mberan42

« Reply #610 on: 04 May 2011, 12:19 »

Hey, if anyone has a ready source of gunpowder, I could use a ton. Clearing out the space to the west of my base is a bitch, 'cause it's a mix of sandstone and regular stone. Power Tools aren't that effective when half the blocks aren't of the same type.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #611 on: 04 May 2011, 17:20 »

You could camp out at the mob drowner, which is what I'm doing. I'd give you some of that gunpowder but I'd rather use it to stock my TNT cannon.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #612 on: 04 May 2011, 17:25 »

Yeah dog, no legs at all.

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #613 on: 05 May 2011, 13:03 »

Legs or no legs, this cannon is great. I redesigned the delay mechanism again and now the two barrels can fire in perfect synchrony. I also opened the barrel at the top so the ammocan fly in an arc.

Kaboom! This is the result of a double-barreled shot at 57% capacity.

I bet if I stuffed both barrels full I could at least take out a chunk of a tower. Isn't this fun?  :-D

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #614 on: 05 May 2011, 18:07 »

I mean as long as your rebuilding everything, heh.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #615 on: 09 May 2011, 15:34 »

Oh hey, so LTK extended James' minecart track all the way back to HQ (i.e. snalin's castle) and I built a subway station for it! So like, get on it guys, build minecart lines to your places. And yeah I know it isn't as quick or efficient as teleporting, that's not the point!
Snalin I'm sorry I put the subway station right there at the northeast corner of your keep don't be angry

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #616 on: 10 May 2011, 03:18 »

The people of the desert are isolationists who don't want to use technology over magic.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #617 on: 10 May 2011, 06:55 »

I really love the subway, and all the other work that's been done (I don't really think of the castle as "mine" anymore), but I'm going to change that subway entrance thing - I had plans for that space. Instead, you see the big chunk that's been taken out of the plateau the entrance sits on now? I had plans for that to become a beach, but that turned out lame, but it's a perfect space for making an expanded subway entrance. What you say?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #618 on: 10 May 2011, 14:47 »

There was a storm tonight. The lightning strikes must have broken something because I can no longer log on.

Edit: I'm back, but the world has really gone to hell.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2011, 14:03 by LTK »

mberan42

« Reply #619 on: 12 May 2011, 13:47 »

Yeah, there was some mega bad lag last night, causing all sorts of wonky shit. It was the first time I could play in a week, and I gave up after I nearly died from a zombie that never came anywhere near me.

ackblom12

« Reply #620 on: 12 May 2011, 15:42 »

Yeah, the last few days have been giving us a terrible internet and I'm not sure why. I think things should be back up and running normal today. Or it seems like Time Warner have gotten their shit back together anyways.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #621 on: 15 May 2011, 19:03 »

So I finally found time to go on the server again (first time in a long while), and I finally finished my maze!  It's in the sea by my tower, which is north of the lighthouse.

There's a teleporter link to the entrance in the main teleporter hub now, and there's a teleporter link back to the hub at the exit of the maze. 

In the maze there is water, lava, and cactus so there is some slight chance that you could die (altho the lava and cacti are very obvious, I'm not trying to trick you).  Since there is potential for death, I provided a chest at the teleporter link to the entrance where you can store stuff.  Then when you finish the maze you can go and get it back.  The maze is well lit, and monsters shouldn't spawn in there.  (if there was a way to make it so creepers couldn't spawn/destroy the walls, i totally would have made a labyrinth with places for monsters to spawn, but creepers would ruin it, so i made no monsters able to spawn)
If you get stuck in the maze and are hopelessly lost, you'd be best off killing yourself in lava, altho i doubt it's that difficult. Please don't break down any walls or torches in the maze.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

ackblom12

« Reply #622 on: 16 May 2011, 05:57 »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #623 on: 16 May 2011, 10:12 »

We should make an even scale replica of the maze in The Labyrinth

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #624 on: 16 May 2011, 10:22 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #625 on: 16 May 2011, 13:26 »

New Map!

http://www.M/F.com/?5jb1kipzxrjjbg5

Cool, here's the path I took going to the snow biome, then to a forest, then through a desert, and finally found someone's cave where I teleported back. Exploring is great!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20662983/walk.png

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #626 on: 16 May 2011, 14:20 »

Cool, here's the path I took going to the snow biome, then to a forest, then through a desert, and finally found someone's cave where I teleported back. Exploring is great!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20662983/walk.png

What program are you using to create maps like that?

I've been playing for about a month now and have settled down to a map I want to develop. I've marked off a square area 500 blocks each direction from my spawn and I'm mostly building roads and outposts so that I have infrastructure in place for later building. That and a bit of adventure spelunking for kicks and supplies. Not much yet in the way of buildings, though I just built a house out of snow in my main settlement. I'm playing it almost like I play Sim City (Sim City is also the seed), with the idea of creating various settlements around the map that eventually grow into each other.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #627 on: 16 May 2011, 14:39 »

If I do a singleplayer map again, I'm going to hack in a ton of rails, and basically make a giant railroad. Then I'll build themed stops at intervals - starting out with the stations, and moving on to the surrounding settlements.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #628 on: 16 May 2011, 15:12 »

I think that may have been the cave that I was exploring one day, but then I couldn't get my return telepad to work and I forgot how I found it originally.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #629 on: 19 May 2011, 03:44 »

I finished my farm!

I figured that the town needed something a bit brighter. I used a pretty simple blueprint for the thing, but messed up water flow length slightly (so I have to cheat - the water doesn't quite flow from the top to the bottom). I think I need to lower the land around it a bit more on some sides, as it seems like angry spiders are able to jump onto the thing during night. Otherwise it's good. Now I've got the top of town left, the wall (will be simple this time around - dirt with fence atop of it), and some utility buildings (something looking like a shop, a mill, and a subway station). In other words, projects.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #630 on: 19 May 2011, 15:50 »

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

öde

« Reply #631 on: 21 May 2011, 08:09 »

Went exploring, and died of mysteries as soon as I logged back in, even though I was in a safe place. Weird, and annoying :(

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #632 on: 21 May 2011, 08:50 »

did the game crash?  were you on the server and got booted?
Was your death by "suffocation" (did the screen go black-ish and you hear hurty noises)?

It seems like what probably happened was you were mining out some area of land, but your alterations to the chunk went unrecorded in the region files of the save.  So, when you logged on, your saved location was in the middle of some stone or dirt which you had just mined out but was still there b/c of an error in saving the fact that you had removed it.  So you essentially spawned in underground and had no air to breath and died because of it.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #633 on: 21 May 2011, 20:21 »

Small photodump. I finally have something semi-worth sharing in the building category. Still need to do some interior design, but I'm waiting until I get a better idea of what folks do to make the insides look so awesome.

Full photo album for the world here. A few I haven't included in the post, plus I'll probably add more later.

On to the show.

First, the new MineCorp Office building.

Front view that also included my snow house on the left. There are more picture of it in the album, but I'm leaving them out of this post to keep it reasonable.

Back view

Closeup of the front glasswork.

Office reception area on first floor. There are 3 offices on this floor, 2 accessible behind the desk, with another door farther down under the stairs.

Upstairs lobby to the CEO's office.

CEO Office Suite.

CEO's Office.

Open pit mine from the CEO's window. Off to the right you can see the pine tree farm.

View of the city grid from the CEO's front window.

View of the grid from a nearby hill. The Cobblestone block building was me getting my boring square cobblestone building out of my system.

And finally my bridge. I still need to work on the approaches on each side.

The far side approach.

Details of the construction.

And finally, a high view at night.

I'll be filling in the grid as I get ideas in between exploring and mining. The bridge also leads to a pretty cool mountainous area I need to use somehow.

Anyway, that's my world.  :mrgreen:

ackblom12

« Reply #634 on: 21 May 2011, 23:12 »

New map for the week is available for download.

öde

« Reply #635 on: 22 May 2011, 11:22 »

did the game crash?  were you on the server and got booted?
Was your death by "suffocation" (did the screen go black-ish and you hear hurty noises)?

Nope! I was on flat ground, not doing anything. Logged out because a chunk wasn't loading, then I was dead when I logged back in!

Stuff

I feel bad about how rubbish my buildings look now!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #636 on: 23 May 2011, 04:28 »

I'm going to steal that bridge design for the server.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #637 on: 23 May 2011, 08:02 »

This, this is the best Minecraft video, the best one, that I have ever seen.

Also, check Notch's blog for all the bugfixes. Holy wow that's a lot of bugfixes.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 13:15 by LTK »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #638 on: 23 May 2011, 13:28 »

Yeah, a few of the bug fixes were things I thought were features :( 
Like, I liked reeds stopping arrows--so much so that I have a few islands in single player surrounded by reeds to protect me from wading skeletons in the mornings. 
And glass having a greater downward pull in water than other materials--that was used in a few mob traps, and I wonder if now mobs will be able to swim up for air and not drown. 
I thought both of those were on purpose (they make sense in some way, shape, or form) and not glitches.

Oh well, still excited for multiplayer nether raids!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #639 on: 25 May 2011, 04:26 »

first of all there's the 1.6 trailer

Then: does anyone have sandstone around? I need a bit for a mini pyramid (probably 8x8ish, and really a ziggurat), and some more for a circular building (same dimensions) - gonna get myself a sun and moon temple. But I don't want to ravage any more deserts or beaches.

EDIT: oh wow the server suddenly got really, really slow.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 06:18 by snalin »

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #640 on: 25 May 2011, 12:47 »

Due to the next update added to the mob drowner: the lava blade.

Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #641 on: 25 May 2011, 14:40 »

Better hope ladders don't become breakable by lava in the update.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #642 on: 26 May 2011, 00:16 »

Thanks for the kind words on my buildings so far. A couple of small additions to share.

On the left, the bank, on the right, a Redstone Shack®.

I finally had enough diamonds and gold where I wanted a more secure location. On the outside, a typical neighborhood bank branch.

And on the inside, still a cozy little place to do business.

But what have we here?

Now we're talking security.

While I haven't yet used redstone for anything except my clock so far, seeing how much I've collected so far, the idea of having a Redstone Shack® as one of the buildings was too good to resist.

The plots in the grid are only 10x12, so another cozy little building.

The back with the door for deliveries.

Inside.

And the back room.

I still need to stock all the supplies and put signs over each chest. I might also put out some display models of the merchandise.

I have another 8 or 9 of these plots inside the grid, plus a couple of areas for parks where there were natural ponds. Any ideas on what to add, I'll be glad to hear them!

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #643 on: 26 May 2011, 06:28 »

1.6 bugs to watch out for as of this writing.

If you drop an item with wear, either on purpose or by dying, and you pick it up, it only has ONE use left then disappears.

Furnaces are really glitchy, and you may lose some or all of both stacks.

When you first load in a save, you may take a small hit of damage. I think this is related to being next to a wall or object so any contact and it thinks you're being suffocated (a feature to push you out of solid objects was one of the new patch items, and I think this is the code causing this problem.

One unannounced glitch fix that makes sense but is annoying the first time you come across it. You can't hit mobs through doors anymore. It will open it even if you're standing inside that square.

In any case, read up on these issues on the forum or elsewhere before downloading the patch.

Edit: I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to multiplayer issues, but it looks like something is causing serious server overload and lag, so definitely hold off on updating the server until you hear an all clear.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 06:52 by Jimor »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #644 on: 26 May 2011, 07:23 »

Game not starting up - I suspect it's because there's a problem with my texture mod not working when it's trying to show the main log in screen.

EDIT: jup, removing the texture pack from the texturepacks folder fixed it.

EDITEDIT: blooo, not updated server!
« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 07:28 by snalin »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #645 on: 26 May 2011, 07:33 »

One unannounced glitch fix that makes sense but is annoying the first time you come across it. You can't hit mobs through doors anymore. It will open it even if you're standing inside that square.

Oof, that's bad news. Being able to do this made it a bit easier to protect your front door from rampaging mobs in the morning. Thanks for the heads-up.

ackblom12

« Reply #646 on: 26 May 2011, 08:09 »

Alrighty, updated the server, but we'll have to wait on craftbukkit and Runecraft to update before teleporters start working again.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #647 on: 26 May 2011, 08:49 »

The mob drowner is still working. I guess there was no need for that lava blade.

We don't have them on the server, but does anyone like the addition of tall grass and shrubs? It makes things look needlessly crowded. Well, as soon as Painterly updates I can at least get them to look better.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #648 on: 26 May 2011, 17:20 »

So I've gotten into minecraft now, finally. Would someone kindly tell me what the server address is?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

mberan42

« Reply #649 on: 27 May 2011, 14:05 »

If you drop an item with wear, either on purpose or by dying, and you pick it up, it only has ONE use left then disappears.

SO ANNOYING.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Up