THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 05:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 424440 times)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #750 on: 04 Jul 2011, 16:56 »

I like the freshness of a new map personally. That feeling of uncharted and untamed landscape that you get whenever you start a new map of Minecraft is awesome, so much to the point of if we can't figure out how to cut/paste stuff I would rather just go with a new world. Like, our world is awesome! In a way its cool because when it started it was really just sort of a dull area, I want to see what we get when we start a new map, with possibly awesome terrain features.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #751 on: 05 Jul 2011, 01:05 »

Yeah, I kinda want to build a memorial under the castle where our first outpost was. Our current world is incredibly dull without the buildings.

I don't know what program we should use to cut/paste if we want that, but I know that some of them can store "blueprints" to import into other world maps. What we could do was if Ack gave us the world map, each of us could cut out the part we wanted, and send him the blueprint file. I don't know about you guys, but I kinda have a lot of stuff I want to keep.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #752 on: 05 Jul 2011, 02:56 »

If it's for posterity I'd just like the world map to use as a singleplayer world for myself (and finally blow up everything with that TNT cannon of mine) but for the rest there's nothing I absolutely had to carry over into a new world. The effort is the reward!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #753 on: 05 Jul 2011, 04:15 »

Can we just change the spawnpoint radically and start again somewhere else on the map?
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #754 on: 05 Jul 2011, 04:37 »

That sounds like a much better and easier idea, really.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #755 on: 05 Jul 2011, 05:16 »

I'd really like to take one of the epic world seeds that are available to us rather than to pick a new spot at random, but if others prefer to start over on a new section of the current map that's just as well.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #756 on: 05 Jul 2011, 11:07 »

The only problem I see with that is lag though, the larger the map and the further you are from the center, the more lag is gonna happen.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #757 on: 05 Jul 2011, 11:40 »

That's not necessarily true. It depends on how many different chunks the server has to load. As long as everyone stays in roughly the same area, lag shouldn't be worse than usual. If there are players on old terrain as well as new terrain, there's no overlap and you could expect some lag.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #758 on: 05 Jul 2011, 14:26 »

so, i started playing this game again now that pistons are out! it's pretty fun!

i used the seed "pissed on update" (get it? it's a PUN) because i wanted to make a new world for the new stuff...and also because i got lost in my old world.

found an epic overhanging cliff with a little hill and a waterfall under it, build a log cabin on it that has three stories stretching all the way to the rock ceiling, as well as a huge stone bridge that allows easy access without having to swim up the waterfall.

have found almost no caves though, so i haven't had a chance to build a piston yet. i want to build one of them fancy self-repairing bridges i've seen on the youtubes, but this world is just not making good on the supplies.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #759 on: 05 Jul 2011, 16:14 »

Hmm... No caps in the seed? How about coords? I'd like to see it.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #760 on: 05 Jul 2011, 16:34 »

no caps, no.

i have no idea what the coordinates are (is there a way to check this? i don't know), and i wandered a little ways away from the spawn when i started so that i could create my homebase somewhere awesome. World is filled with hills and valleys, and an obscene amount of trees. I build a huge stone bridge stretching in four different directions, covered in torches, and i can completely lose it if i walk for like a minute, or less. there are really tall 1x1 stone towers all over the forest, marking places where i got lost trying to find my house again.

need to craft a map pronto
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #761 on: 05 Jul 2011, 16:51 »

Pressing F3 gives you an overlay of data about the world and the game. Among them are x, y and z coordinates. With x and z I'll know where you are.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #762 on: 05 Jul 2011, 17:24 »

sweet, i didn't know that!

will check coordinates when i get home.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #763 on: 05 Jul 2011, 19:32 »

okay, coordinates at my front door, under the overhang:

X: -802.3000000119209
Y: 93.62000000476837

(shitty night shot of the place, with my house that looks like a face in it)

it really is tucked away in a hard-to-see spot, i got lost again trying to find my way back from a cave that is not far away at all. on the plus side, i found some other cool places, like this one:

X: -778.8036658518554
Y: 103.620000004

neat floating island with a single, huge tree on it, and more overhangs and other similar formations

edit: it occurs to me that that last coordinate is not as long as it seems like it should be. you can probably find it anyway, i'm not sure how important all those numbers at the end really are
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2011, 19:35 by Scandanavian War Machine »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #764 on: 06 Jul 2011, 03:21 »

Firstly, Y coordinates are height, so that tells me nothing, and secondly, rounded numbers are good enough. Every block is 1 point, so any numbers after that are pretty much meaningless. X and Z are for longitude and latitude.

Oh hey, it seems that we have a direction indicator now, in the form of F=0,1,2,3. Sweet! Also, Notch said that we've been doing the compass directions wrong all along, and the sun actually rises in the north.  :?

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #765 on: 06 Jul 2011, 08:48 »

http://minecraft-seeds.net/view/24/-1784338777788894343

So this is a pretty amazing seed. Please, I urge you to check it out. Largest flying mountain range I've ever seen.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #766 on: 06 Jul 2011, 09:32 »

Firstly, Y coordinates are height, so that tells me nothing, and secondly, rounded numbers are good enough. Every block is 1 point, so any numbers after that are pretty much meaningless. X and Z are for longitude and latitude.

d'oh

i have the full coordinates saved in a text file, so i'll update it when i get home from work.

also, how stupid is it that it lists the coordinates in that order? it seemed painfully obvious to me that height would be the last coordinate shown; i don't know why.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #767 on: 06 Jul 2011, 10:27 »

Three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate systems are indeed more commonly drawn like this but Notch apparently decided on the expanded form of the two-dimensional system which looks like this. You're right though, Z being height is a bit more intuitive since we puny humans usually don't have to deal with travel in a third dimension.

http://minecraft-seeds.net/view/24/-1784338777788894343

So this is a pretty amazing seed. Please, I urge you to check it out. Largest flying mountain range I've ever seen.

There you have another meta-game within Minecraft itself: Finding the most outrageous terrain configurations. Flying mountains are nice to look at but they make navigating a world like that really hard, so I'm not fond of actually playing those worlds.

Also, someone created an actual music box that takes input from the equivalent of a punch card. Ingenious!
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2011, 13:36 by LTK »

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #768 on: 06 Jul 2011, 13:38 »

Just what exactly is a seed, and what does it do? I've never understood the concept.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #769 on: 06 Jul 2011, 14:39 »

It's a value that's used to spawn the Minecraft world from. It rules everything, so if you make two worlds with the same seed, they will be completely identical. I suspect the value used is an integer, and that string inputs is converted to integers - that's how I would do it for the sake of simplicity.

checking the wiki, yeah, the seed is generated from String.HashCode, so when you're saying that "pissed on update" is a cool seed, that's the same as that "958162050" is a cool seed, according to my java dev kit.
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2011, 14:46 by snalin »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #770 on: 06 Jul 2011, 16:30 »

It's further explained here.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #771 on: 06 Jul 2011, 19:17 »

yeah, that seed is amazing. Everything spawns in the overhang because it's so big, and there are proper caves scattered all around. And, as a bonus, there's a pool of lava on an island just off from spawn that starts a huge forest fire as soon as you go close enough to load that area.

First thing I did, though, is put a torch in that pumpkin that seems to have become the mascot. So cool at night, just sitting there.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #772 on: 06 Jul 2011, 20:46 »

Cool, thanks.

In other news, I'd be more than happy for a completely new world once 1.8 comes out. The only disappointment would be the loss of my inventory / boxes, but I'd quickly get over that.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ackblom12

« Reply #773 on: 06 Jul 2011, 20:47 »

I'm personally i favor of a new world. I can mess about with patching some things back in since I would love to keep my Tower, but it's not a necessity as far as I'm concerned.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #774 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:36 »

I think the best is a new world, with the file of the old world sent to those who want it (me).
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

öde

« Reply #775 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:39 »

I'm cool with a new world, I'll miss my fort though :(

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #776 on: 07 Jul 2011, 02:46 »

I'll miss my sky/bedrockscraper

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #777 on: 07 Jul 2011, 04:09 »

I will definitely miss my city. If we keep the old world in backup, we can start playing with a new one, and if we find places where old stuff would fit, we can import it.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #778 on: 07 Jul 2011, 11:23 »

I'm definitely for all of that, Because seriously, navigating any new world is a pain. But once we've got it runecrafted up, and add rail systems and such I think a world with really interesting terrain like that will eventually make the problem of it being had to go up and down between layers a moot point. Think of all the sky ways/and awesome looking bridges that can be built!

But yeah that lava lake? When I loaded the game it didn't create the giant firestorm, it sorta just kicked out. But I've built a lovely two-story farmhouse right next to it that I'm building a ranch around at in single player right now and it is very fun, I'm making sort of day trips into the mountain range to bring back coal/clay etc. There's a waterfall in one section that's lit perfectly as it falls onto sand below it that I want to building a giant, winding tree house around if we do the multi-player thing. Also the cool thing about the server is that it would up the difficulty for everyone, since in an environment like that monsters can spawn at all times of the day, and I mean after a while the thing about multi-player servers to me is that they get way too tame, once your castle is built the only deaths your gonna suffer is the occasional walk to close to lava and accidentally let go of left shift key.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #779 on: 07 Jul 2011, 11:25 »

Also I will miss my underground town with enormous castle in the north, but in the end I can always built another. Also I've learned a lot of cool tricks/architectural thingies and such that I've learned either from you guys or youtube since the server started that I can use to make a new one that looks way cooler, with more interesting technology underneath.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #780 on: 07 Jul 2011, 11:52 »

You can have interesting terrain features that are still possible to navigate. I think Flatland strikes a decent balance between traversability and looks in that regard. I mean, I played gargamel for a while, and it is interesting to explore in the beginning but eventually it gets really annoying and you have no choice but to tunnel and bridge everywhere, which kind of ruins the integrity of the terrain. Although I'm fine with shaping a world to fit our needs, it should be worth shaping first.

Hmm, I'm going through my seeds a bit, what do you guys think of this one? The screenshot is of the interesting bit, the surrounding terrain is actually quite moderate although a bit foresty.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2011, 12:00 by LTK »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #781 on: 07 Jul 2011, 13:29 »

I think if we start a new server we should try to keep stuff closer together, even building more super-projects. It was cool at first on the server, but there is so much stuff that is so far away now that I rarely even leave my keep when I'm on, and working on something that size alone means that I barely even get anything done with it as I don't spend more than 30 minutes on at a time anymore.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #782 on: 07 Jul 2011, 18:17 »

So I poke my nose onto the server for the first time. It's dark, raining, and I spawn underwater. When I get to shore, there's a skeleton shooting at me, so I jump down a convenient hole on the shoreline, and a creeper jumps down after me. I managed to put in a few good hits on him while backing down the stairs, but he still went BOOM on me. I picked up enough blocks to fix the stairs and put back the torches, but there's a small hollow about half way down. Finally got a chance to wander around a bit in safety and take a look at the Zenith Tower, somebody's hanging buildings nearby, then a bit of the keep (all without incident). Neat stuff!
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #783 on: 07 Jul 2011, 18:56 »

Zenith Tower? How far did the spawn point move?

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #784 on: 08 Jul 2011, 12:05 »

I did see a clarification that the 1.8 adventure stuff is a matter of spawning new chunks, not having to start an entire new world. So if we hold off on long walkabouts until the update, a new world started now could work (or just trim back explored but unused areas so that we can "discover" them fresh).

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #785 on: 08 Jul 2011, 12:42 »

But we're not even sure exactly how much new stuff is added in 1.8. Even the limited chunks we get from starting a world now could hold all sorts of amazing discoveries later.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #786 on: 08 Jul 2011, 17:38 »

Thanks to help from LTK, I have a nice little hobbit hole on the shore just east of Zenith Tower.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #787 on: 09 Jul 2011, 02:58 »

Maybe we should wait with a server reboot until after launch?

Btw, is runecraft back yet?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #788 on: 09 Jul 2011, 14:37 »

Not back but seems to be ready for 1.7.

Oh hey, this is good: one time I was exploring this world where I found a mountain with a sinkhole through it that went really deep underground. Afterwards I deleted and recreated the world but couldn't find it anymore because the spawn was in a completely different location. But now I tried a new spawn point again and this time it was close to the original so I managed to find the same mountain again. The world is pretty cool, the seed is Euclidian Geometry. It might be suitable for a new multiplayer map.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #789 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:00 »

(click to show/hide)

Holy shit.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #790 on: 10 Jul 2011, 14:37 »

is that a natural dinosaur statue?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #791 on: 10 Jul 2011, 14:42 »

From this angle it does look that way, yes. There are outrageous rock formations like these over every hilltop in Euclidian Geometry. If this doesn't become our new multiplayer world, I'll not hesistate to start a server of my own.

ackblom12

« Reply #792 on: 10 Jul 2011, 14:45 »

You know what that dino is missing?

A TopHat.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #793 on: 10 Jul 2011, 14:52 »

WE COULD USE PISTONS TO MAKE HIM HAVE A COLLAPSIBLE ONE!!!
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

keeperoflore

• Plantmonster
« Reply #794 on: 10 Jul 2011, 16:15 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #795 on: 10 Jul 2011, 21:37 »

Boro posted it already. On this page.

ackblom12

« Reply #796 on: 10 Jul 2011, 21:58 »

Yeah, and I'm kind of in agreement that I wouldn't want to use it for multi due to the massive amount of overhead land. I think it could be great for single but I'm not real interested in using it otherwise. Not entirely my decision though so I'm down for everyone finding some more seeds and getting a poll going for the new map.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #797 on: 11 Jul 2011, 03:42 »

One thing I've been wondering is whether an update with as much new randomly generated content as 1.8 will have would break a number of seeds.  Thing is, the seed is essentially the seed for a random number generator, right?  and that basically means the order of the random numbers is set.  So, when generating a world random nums are pulled off the queue as they're needed (creating biomes, digging tunnels, adding height, generating lakes, trees, etc).  If the addition of generating dungeons or other adventury things is added into the order of randomly generated things, the sequence of random #s will have shifted. 

So, for instance, if generating dungeons gets inserted before generating lakes and tunnels but after biomes and landscape, a currently known seed could have a similar landscape but completely different surface lake system or different underground tunnels. 

I think this would also explain our biome shifts and the sheer cliffs of chunk errors i've seen out in the distance on the maps ackblom uploads.  The seed that generated our original world no longer causes the same terrain to be generated after a number of updates.  Instead the seed leads to one where our old starting point is a winter biome and has different terrain heights out in the distance of our generated world.  So when it goes to create a new chunk out there, it pulls random nums from the seed order of nums and comes up with terrain that isn't continuous with the land already there.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #798 on: 11 Jul 2011, 04:22 »

I've seen that happen in the past, when the underlying procedural generator was altered in some way. That was back in Alpha though, and you would indeed get sudden changes in terrain generation at the edges of the generated land. But that concerns the bottom layer of procedural generation, defining what is land, and what is air and water. Notch made a blog post about this particular step but hasn't gotten around to describing it any further. The next step is cave generation, and after that the grass, sand and stone is defined. Then all the plant life is planted. Those are the basics of any Minecraft world, and these generation steps have been present since pre-Alpha.

Notch hasn't made any significant changes to these since Beta, and how could he? Suddenly everyone would start complaining that all of their coolest seeds are different now. That's why all the new features are being added to the end of the queue. You can tell by the underground lakes because there's occasionally a tree floating above them.

If the same process is applied to villages, dungeons, and ruins, i.e. they also get added to the end of the queue, then the basic terrain layout isn't going to change. Anything that was a mountain wil still be a mountain. See the introduction of sandstone into the world, for example; the deserts still looked the same, the only thing that got changed is that the bottom layers of deserts and beaches were now made of sandstone instead of sand.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #799 on: 11 Jul 2011, 06:51 »

On a slightly different note, I found another use for pistons: Not only do they block the flow of water, but when pushing a water source it will vanish altogether. So I used that to wire together a self-destruct mechanism at the top of my tower! It stops the TNT water flow containment and simultaneously ignites everything that's loaded. It will provide a grand finale when we exit this world.

(click to show/hide)

Did I mention you shouldn't touch it? Because you shouldn't. It will assuredly lead to your violent and explosive death.

And in the game.  :mrgreen:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Up