THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417495 times)

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #800 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:14 »

Someone somewhere on the internet claims that the latest bukkit version for runecraft works with 1.7.3. Test it?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #801 on: 14 Jul 2011, 15:34 »

awesoooom!

piston elevator

Better than what we tried yesterday.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #802 on: 14 Jul 2011, 15:52 »

Eventually I managed to make it work, if only by virtue of wildly spamming the piston arms while keeping them in place with obsidian blocks. It takes a while, but eventually it gets you up there!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #803 on: 15 Jul 2011, 07:13 »

oh, I've got a working copy of that elevator in the video. It's in the middle of the castle. Ugly thing, but functional.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #804 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:27 »

Haha! I was boating around in the oceans in my world and the Server Chunk Cache count was just shy of 10000 chunks. I wanted to take a screenshot of that, but at 9974 the game crashed because it was out of memory. Pretty awesome, I've never been able to do that before.

Okay, second time around it hit 9900, then I pressed F2 and it crashed under the load of taking a screenshot. This is getting out of hand. All I'm doing is following the right-hand coastline, but this world just has one giant continuous ocean. The world size now exceeds 100MB.

As they say, third time is the nail in your coffin. I got the screenshot, quit to menu, but that wasn't enough. To clear the memory Minecraft needs to be closed entirely, so when I started the same world up my position and inventory got reset. Oh well, at least I was relatively close to home when it happened. This is my world now.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 14:53 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #805 on: 17 Jul 2011, 01:56 »

So I built this bridge on the server. One end is near the new spawn at x=-360, z= -140, the other end is at x=-525, z=-300.

Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #806 on: 17 Jul 2011, 04:09 »

So pretty!

EDIT: oh, and to you who changed the castle farm patch: thanks, but it was designed the way it was so I wouldn't have to crouch while harvesting. So Wi remade it the way it was.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 07:52 by snalin »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #807 on: 17 Jul 2011, 15:53 »

For those of you with a beastly powerful PC, here's a mod you have to check out: Extreme increased view distance. It increases the render distance up to a maximum of 2048 blocks, whereas the default Far setting only draws 400 blocks far. I don't have enough hardware to throw at it for it to be viable in gameplay, but at least it lets me take awesome screenshots. Here is Euclidian Geometry in its full glory. (Or it would be if Photobucket didn't resize it.)

Augh god, the improved 'short' render distance skyrockets to 4000 chunks loaded after walking for 30 seconds, my poor computer.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 16:18 by LTK »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #808 on: 18 Jul 2011, 07:54 »

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ackblom12

« Reply #809 on: 18 Jul 2011, 11:35 »

New Map!

http://www.M/F.com/?12746jxbxcf195c

Alright, while I'm back in quarantine, I'm going to spend some more time looking for a server and hopefully have one we can use starting as soon as I get back on the 30th. If we do not have a server to move to shortly after I'm back, I'm also going to move the map back over to my computer and it'll revert back to the original IP I gave you guys. I'll send it back out just in case you don't still have it when I move it. I'll also be updating craftbukkit and Runecraft at that time, assuming 1.8 isn't out.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2011, 14:40 by ackblom12 »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #810 on: 18 Jul 2011, 16:39 »

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #811 on: 20 Jul 2011, 14:00 »

If you haven't seen this yet: the Minecraft Teacher.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #812 on: 25 Jul 2011, 16:33 »

This is freakin' hilarious.

I've been hanging out on another, public server, but there are so many awful people. Is our server coming back soon?

ackblom12

« Reply #813 on: 25 Jul 2011, 19:08 »

It's down? I'll see if I can get Kat to bring it back up.

ackblom12

« Reply #814 on: 25 Jul 2011, 19:39 »

Alright, server should be back up.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #815 on: 26 Jul 2011, 04:22 »

I haven't been able to reach it for a while, actually, and I still can't. I thought you planned to take it down until the 30th.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #816 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:36 »

yup, been down for me too.

ackblom12

« Reply #817 on: 26 Jul 2011, 09:10 »

hmm, if it's still down it might have to stay that way until this weekend unfortunately. I'll try getting it back up and running as quickly as possible though.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #818 on: 26 Jul 2011, 17:35 »

This is freakin' hilarious.

I thought the video was ok--enough for me to subscribe and wait for a few more eps--but the behind the scenes video was absolutely hilarious to me for some reason. 
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

ackblom12

« Reply #819 on: 29 Jul 2011, 20:16 »

Ok guys, We officially have a new server. I've got the world up and running and I was able to connect. I put the Runecraft plugin in the proper folder, but it's not showing in the admin console. I haven't tested it and to be frank, I don't have time to do it with all the stuff we have going right now. Let me know if Runecraft is working. If it isn't I'll try to get it up and running by Monday. IP is going to be PM'd to folks tonight.

Edit: I decided against leaving the IP here and PM'd everyone anyways. If you still need the IP for the new server just let me know via PM. If this thing lasts for everybody for more than a couple of weeks, then I think it has a new home.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 20:44 by ackblom12 »

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #820 on: 29 Jul 2011, 21:15 »

Server is working heaps better for me. I'm not getting any gaps in the terrain and I can ride the carts without much going wrong at all.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #821 on: 30 Jul 2011, 02:08 »

Great, it's back! There's just one little problem... The Nether is reset. Again.  :psyduck:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #822 on: 30 Jul 2011, 19:41 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #823 on: 01 Aug 2011, 16:50 »

More circumstantial hostility. I like that a lot. There are not a lot of games that are skilled in blurring the line between friend and foe, it's nearly always a case of 'wants to kill you/needs to be killed' and 'everything else'.

Guys, the server is deafeningly quiet! I know we've all seen the majority of what there is to see, but it would still be nice to work on little things together, so join in once in a while.

Oh, and Runecraft is indeed not working, but I've at least bootstrapped a Nether path between spawn and the keep. Watch out though; Ghast fireballs now set the Nether on fire again. I've had to fling my burning ass through a portal more often than I'd like.

Also, watch this cool thing: Minecraft comes to life

« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2011, 17:07 by LTK »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #824 on: 02 Aug 2011, 02:10 »

I'm really feeling the need to start something fresh. I started a mansion, and when a creeper blew up the wall, I just... didn't want to mine all that sandstone again. Between that and no runecraft=no metals for me, I really want a fresh start now.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #825 on: 02 Aug 2011, 03:03 »

Yeah, about that, I discovered the mansion and filled in some of the blanks, so it's got all walls and ceilings now. I also went digging for a ton of sandstone, check the storage box for sand to find it.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #826 on: 02 Aug 2011, 10:23 »

Guys, the server is deafeningly quiet! I know we've all seen the majority of what there is to see, but it would still be nice to work on little things together, so join in once in a while.

Yeah, I got on the other day and it was totally empty. After a couple minutes it got really laggy and stopped loading chunks and I got disconnected and when I came back I was on a lone chunk floating in the abyss.

Reminded me why I never bother with MC MP anymore. It just never seems to work very well for me.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #827 on: 02 Aug 2011, 11:26 »

You're right, today the connection was extremely bad, even though it was completely stable yesterday. I haven't been disconnected once until today, when it happened every minute.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #828 on: 02 Aug 2011, 11:36 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #829 on: 02 Aug 2011, 12:20 »

Haha, that's great. Is there also a really big blimp?

The server instability is fixed for me now, seems it was just a hiccup.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #830 on: 03 Aug 2011, 07:39 »

I'm trying my hand at modding minecraft, and it's going well so far. I changed a bunch of crafting recipes to be more sensible and also added a lot of new ones, mostly to recycle already-crafted items into their components. This works great in SP. Now I'm trying to make shrubs harvestable with shears, which is a bit trickier.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #831 on: 03 Aug 2011, 12:07 »

if you already know any programming at all, changing recipes and stuff is really easy. Even if you don't know any, it's written in Java, and the Minecraft Coder Pack (google it) gives things names, so it's not hard to understand what parts does what.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #832 on: 04 Aug 2011, 01:06 »

Funny glitch on the server. These skeletons were burning like this for days in game until I finally left the area and they despawned. It happened separately, too, only one for a while, then the other.

And my current project. First, build a foundation.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #833 on: 04 Aug 2011, 11:12 »

I was actually going to suggest that you used that space for something.

I'm going to expand the last "open" direction from my town, past the tiny (soon to be bigger) mining village just outside the walls.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #834 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:20 »

map?

And Runecraft isn't working as of now, it'd be nice if we could get it up.

And, wait, I didn't catch this last time, but when you say
Ok guys, We officially have a new server.
, Ack, do you mean like an online hosted server? Still ready to chip in here.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #835 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:31 »

Need to figure out where slime spawning chunks are so we can farm slimes please.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

ackblom12

« Reply #836 on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:00 »

Hey guys, sorry about the quiet, Kat and I are in the process of getting things cleaned up and packed and ready for a move in a couple of weeks so I'm not checking things particularly often.

Yes Snalin, the map is currently on rented space. It's $25 a month (assuming monthly charges) and has a 15 player limit, a full gig of RAM availability and no hard map size limit. We can always change stuff later if we want as well. Also has a nice set of admin tools but I haven't had a chance to get a real handle on them just yet outside of getting the white list updated proper and setting myself up with admin controls in-game. I'll give some more details on what we can expect if we decide to pay for long term sub as well, and I think it's been stable enough that I'm confident saying it's where we can plant the community roots. At this point, feel free to invite whoever you want to the server as long as you know they aren't a griefer. Just point them in my direction for getting added to the whitelist. I'm pretty eager to see this grow beyond just our little group.

Jace, I'll try and get that done soon when I'm both motivated and also not busy. Probably sometime tonight.

As far as things like Runecraft and the modded recipes LTK made, I need to get around to sending i a ticket to find out what I'm doing wrong. I've edited the .jar file for the recipes and I've got runecraft in the proper location with Bukkit enabled, but it doesn't seem to recognize either change as far as I can tell. I've done both through FTP and maybe there is something else in the admin panel I need to do, but I'm sure it's something simple I've missed.

Also, I finally figured out what has been happening with the nether due to some log notes. Apparently the nether used to save in a different file location, so when I copied the world over it had to make a new nether cause the nether I copied over was not located in the proper location. So that's good to know. Not terribly useful now, but good to know.

I'll also be getting a new map uploaded tonight as well.

ackblom12

« Reply #837 on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:20 »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #838 on: 11 Aug 2011, 08:24 »

So I spent a lot more time that I really needed to messing with and building a cobblestone generator that uses pistons to push the blocks out so you don't have to be near lava.
I just wanted to mess with pistons and I also don't have a lot of cobblestone access in my place for expansion.

ackblom12

« Reply #839 on: 11 Aug 2011, 14:13 »

Ok, so I tried that slime spawn tool you linked Jace, and it doesn't seem to work. I'm going to upload the world folder and see if it works for anyone else. I've tried multiple browsers and uninstalling and reinstalling Java but it doesn't seem keen on working.

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/?5vc58b2864i84ph
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 14:37 by ackblom12 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #840 on: 11 Aug 2011, 15:16 »

Having that world file, what does that allow us to do?

Other than blow stuff up without a care in the world?

ackblom12

« Reply #841 on: 11 Aug 2011, 15:21 »

The level file is used to show the spawn points in the slime spawn web tool thingamajig.

Also blowing shit up.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #842 on: 12 Aug 2011, 00:21 »

I ran a quick experiment with creating lakes using a method I saw in the MC forums. To take advantage of the water physics, first you create a layer of dirt 1 level below where you want your water level. A trick to keep track of the shoreline you want is to use another kind of block to mark the outermost ring of blocks you'll remove later (I used wood planks). Then you make a nearby infinite pool and start filling in the corners of your 1-deep lake. As you go around, you'll eventually reach a point where source blocks of water start propagating across the surface. You may need to fill in some of the longer straight edges to help this along, but you should be able to figure out the pattern pretty quick. Next you dig out the dirt and surrounding ring. Once done, the water will completely fill anything below that top layer.

This small lake under my first bridge took a bit over an hour, I think, I wasn't paying very close attention to time.

My hotel is one step further along than this picture, I now have all the floors laid down as well. Next is stairwell, outer walls, inner walls/rooms, and then interior decoration. It has a basement, a first floor lobby, an atrium level above that, then 5 working floors. Making the top one a suite, with the other 4 floors having 2 rooms each.

I'm going to see if I can create a slime spawn room at one of my deep mines shafts near my ring road. I found a baby slime at the bottom of the stairs, so I don't think my main room is in one of the slime chunks, but the last part of the stairway itself might be, so I'll make a room under it to see what happens.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #843 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:02 »

I most definitely got it to work, but I don't know the various coordinates for people's different areas. Someone tell me those.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #844 on: 13 Aug 2011, 10:16 »

I hate trying to hide redstone, it makes everything so bulky.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #845 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:07 »

I most definitely got it to work, but I don't know the various coordinates for people's different areas. Someone tell me those.

I'm not following. You got what to work?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #846 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:42 »

The tool that lets you find slime spawning chunks. You know, the easiest way to go about it is to go down into Steve's strip mine. The entrance is in the dirt hut next to the lighthouse. It pretty much goes on forever, so you can easily find some coordinates there.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #847 on: 14 Aug 2011, 13:15 »

Oh, I got coordinates when I went home from work and mapped it to an area near my place. I've got 4 slime spawning chunks right in a row so I'm gonna work on building a slime spawner across those chunks.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #848 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:47 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #849 on: 19 Aug 2011, 09:10 »

Just wanted to bring up this tweet from jeb which deals with the issues I had earlier about the world gen changing with 1.8

It seems that the generator will generate diff't worlds come 1.8.  So, if anyone has any seeds they are interested in, they ought to make that world now and explore it a bit b/c after 1.8 that seed will generate a dif't world than it does currently.

Also, someone did ask jeb if there'd be an option "use the old generator, without 1.8 features" when making a new world, and jeb responded that if such a thing were to be added it wouldn't be till after minecraft's out of beta
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 09:48 by smack that isaiah »
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Up