THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417093 times)

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1050 on: 05 Aug 2012, 04:03 »

UPDATE! 1.3.1

A lot of stuff has been added - enough for me to kinda want to start a new world. Like save the old one as a singleplayer thing, and try something else.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #1051 on: 05 Aug 2012, 09:06 »

And speaking of, the server has been updated.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1052 on: 07 Aug 2012, 03:41 »

So ehhh...is this a public server or will I get a "bad noob guy! back off!"?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1053 on: 07 Aug 2012, 06:02 »

azk azkblomz for ze pazzwrd

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1054 on: 07 Aug 2012, 06:59 »

I shall indeed, thanks.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #1055 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:35 »

So do a lot of people still play or will i be lonely in my builds?
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1056 on: 12 Aug 2012, 14:28 »

I've been having an issue since I got a new computer with Minecraft that it starts to lag after a while and the only thing I can do is to restart the game.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1057 on: 12 Aug 2012, 14:53 »

Common issue. If you use a 64-bit OS, install 64-bit Java. If not, allocate more memory.

That said, I'd like to jump into Minecraft again if there's a prospect of a fresh new world.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #1058 on: 12 Aug 2012, 14:55 »

I love minecraft, but playing it alone gives me this weird sadness with it, It's lonely without people, so would love a way to get more people on the server.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1059 on: 12 Aug 2012, 18:34 »

Seems to have fixed the problem perfectly thanks!
Been having some fun on this singleplayer map, spawned in a perfect area right next to a ravine, forest, and desert coming together. Abundant coal, lava, water, sand, and iron!
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1060 on: 24 Aug 2012, 15:08 »

Today I saw this video of the upcoming features and new boss mob. This is exciting! From what I've played of 1.3.2 I found that a whole lot of small annoyances that were present throughout alpha and beta have finally been fixed. Jeb and the rest of the Minecraft team are doing a great job.

How are things going on the server these days?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1061 on: 13 Sep 2012, 16:32 »

Finally installed Minecraft on my new zippy computer, so decided to log onto the server to find a firebug has gone crazy with buckets of lava in several buildings spread around the map. My house near the ocean, my hut in my oasis village, a tower about halfway along the spawn/ocean road, and in the huge castle near spawn. I put out a couple of the lava pyres in the castle but there are several more.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1062 on: 14 Sep 2012, 05:01 »

what? NOO! Somehow, a large chunk of the castle seems to have been blown out...

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1063 on: 15 Sep 2012, 00:51 »

I made the mistake of putting out some of the lava flows with water instead of the obvious-in-hindsight method of taking the source lava away with a bucket, so there's a lot of generated cobble to tear down. My apologies for the extra work that's going to take. The other bad thing of course was all the burnable materials that were destroyed by the lava and fire spread, but that started happening as soon as I got close enough to load those chunks into memory. Feel free to use any of the materials in any of my locations if you need them. Still not sure how much I can get on the server with all the video editing I need to do, but I'll see if I can help with any cleanup when I do sneak on.

ackblom12

« Reply #1064 on: 16 Oct 2012, 14:00 »

Hey guys, they moved our server to a new permanent location. Here is the new IP: 69.162.123.107

That is the only change.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1065 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:50 »

I plucked a random person off the internet to play Minecraft cooperatively with - since multiplayer servers are too much of doing your own stuff alongside other people - and we got a LAN game running over Hamachi in like two minutes of meeting each other. It's ridiculously easy. The only downside is that the port number changes every time you open a world for LAN play, but aside from that, it's like a local server where you can switch worlds on the fly.

If anyone wants to join me in a game of survival on a fresh, virgin world, give me a shout and I'll patch you into the LAN.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1066 on: 21 Feb 2013, 15:01 »

Hmm...maybe I should go remember my old username.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1067 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:31 »

There's something incredibly satisfying about completing major building projects in survival without any "help" add ons isn't there?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1068 on: 27 Oct 2013, 18:38 »

so I finally actually paid for Minecrack and would like to start playing multiplayer. any of you folks doing this still?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1069 on: 27 Oct 2013, 18:58 »

Just in time for the new update! I loaded up a new world, and it now has an 'AMPLIFIED' option. This is the result:

Oh my god we need to play multiplayer on a world like this

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1070 on: 27 Oct 2013, 19:48 »

oh lord it must be nice to be able to render further than the bare minimum

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1071 on: 27 Oct 2013, 21:33 »

Yeah, I finally got a decent-enough graphics card where I can boost the settings pretty high on a lot of games, including Minecraft, and it really is nice.

I've been doing a single player YouTube series in an amplified world. Mostly because I need practice speaking for some other video projects I want to do, but I've been having fun with it, and it's up to 27 episodes now.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1072 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:34 »

I do dumb stuff sometimes:

I also do less dumb stuff. We've got a server going at our faculty, where I do most of whatever I do. I'll try to upload something with a lighthouse I'm very happy with.

If anyone has any active, open servers, I'm interested.

EDIT: lighthouse. Turns on automatically at night, turns off at day. Vanilla minecraft, no mods.
EDITEDIT: pretty happy with the boat in the background too. Built it  based only on the floor plans of a spelljammer galleon (first thing that showed up for galleon floor plans on google)

« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2013, 11:42 by snalin »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1073 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:06 »

Very nice! I still haven't really worked much with redstone circuits, but there are definitely some interesting things you can do now with some of the new items.

I was looking into server hosting, and it's quite reasonable now, so I think I'm willing to be point on a new QC server this round. I'm thinking just a vanilla 1.7 amplified world to play in? Let me know what your preferences are, though.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1074 on: 28 Oct 2013, 14:25 »

Vanilla, amplified, definitely.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1075 on: 28 Oct 2013, 14:29 »

I like vanilla, or some very light community type plug ins, for like setting up shops and locking your chests up and such. Amplified would be cool, but I worry about it excluding people with less powerful systems.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1076 on: 28 Oct 2013, 15:43 »

True about the amplified one. I guess those structures takes a bit of power to render.

Shops could be something, but I've always preferred even sharing if the server is small and manageable. Locked chests are solvable by nether chests, which you get by the time you have stuff that needs locking up (unless you are very worried about your first stack or two of iron)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1077 on: 28 Oct 2013, 16:01 »

Yeah, I finally got a decent-enough graphics card where I can boost the settings pretty high on a lot of games, including Minecraft, and it really is nice.

I've been doing a single player YouTube series in an amplified world. Mostly because I need practice speaking for some other video projects I want to do, but I've been having fun with it, and it's up to 27 episodes now.
My god man, get yourself some anti-aliasing.  :psyduck:

You know what's also nice? Rendering twice the maximum distance.

To anyone who has less-than-optimal Minecraft performance, install Optifine. It allows you to crank up the settings like you see in the screenshot above, and it enhances performance on lower-end systems as well.

I also do less dumb stuff. We've got a server going at our faculty, where I do most of whatever I do. I'll try to upload something with a lighthouse I'm very happy with.

If anyone has any active, open servers, I'm interested.

EDIT: lighthouse. Turns on automatically at night, turns off at day. Vanilla minecraft, no mods.
EDITEDIT: pretty happy with the boat in the background too. Built it  based only on the floor plans of a spelljammer galleon (first thing that showed up for galleon floor plans on google)
Clever, I like it! I never thought of a use for light detectors.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1078 on: 28 Oct 2013, 16:49 »

I did try out an Amplifed world today, and it did take a lot longer than usual for the initial rendering, but after that I didn't have any problems. I haven't installed Optifine into 1.7 yet though. The thing about people swiping stuff from chests really depends on who you have playing and if it's whitelisted or not. There are plenty of people who will just go around and steal or mess up your stuff just to be jerks... One of the first servers I was on was open play and I ran into that sort of thing... I had a little hobbit-hole away from anyone else, I kept my changes to the environment minimal and I locked up my stuff... Yet I still was robbed when I moved my storage room around and forgot to lock one of my dozen or so chests. They didn't even get anything valuable... Some iron and coal and similar stuff. But still, proof that some people will just be jerks because they can be.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1079 on: 28 Oct 2013, 16:57 »

Been poking around a 1.7 world the last couple of days, exploring the new biomes. I spawned in some tundra hills, which is an interesting environment, and this afternoon I found a roofed forest, which is just plain spooky. Haven't tried amplified yet, but I've noticed that the rendering for a vanilla world seems to be faster in this update than it was in 1.6.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1080 on: 28 Oct 2013, 20:49 »

Very nice! I still haven't really worked much with redstone circuits, but there are definitely some interesting things you can do now with some of the new items.

I was looking into server hosting, and it's quite reasonable now, so I think I'm willing to be point on a new QC server this round. I'm thinking just a vanilla 1.7 amplified world to play in? Let me know what your preferences are, though.
i'd love it. now just gotta find some time to play on it :P

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1081 on: 28 Oct 2013, 23:18 »

You know what's also nice? Rendering twice the maximum distance.

fuck youuuuuuuu I'm lucky if I can consistently get it up to 7 chunks while still running Teamspeak, AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE A MIC

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1082 on: 29 Oct 2013, 01:17 »

I'd also love it!

(Patrick, install Optifine)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1083 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:45 »

oooh!  nifty.
I got Minecraft for my daughter as a Christmas present.
I play it about once a month.
bare bones basic version.

Could we sticky this thread, please?
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1084 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:25 »

Tried out an amplified world today, and wow, is it wild. This is a forest biome:

I can't imagine what it would do to extreme hills.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1085 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:48 »

By the way, if you didn't know, f3+a is a really neat shortcut. It reloads all chunks, so if the game isn't loading chunks right around you, it's really useful to get it to do that.

EDIT: since I'm in a sharing mode, here's some pics from the server I'm on right now. All of them are with the LB photo realism graphics pack, if you wonder why it looks different.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2013, 10:27 by snalin »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1086 on: 29 Oct 2013, 11:57 »

that's it, I'm building the Ryugyong Hotel out of gravel

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1087 on: 29 Oct 2013, 13:57 »

I was visiting the UN in Geneva and it struck me how the Leage of Nations palace seemed to have been designed in Minecraft. It had square patches of grass, marble tiling, gravel paths, granite floors, tiled glass windows, you name it.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1088 on: 29 Oct 2013, 17:27 »

Patrick, do you want to run a test with optifine on a single-player amplified world and see if that makes a difference for you?

Even with pure vanilla, Ender chests make for good security of high-value items, and we could try at some point to make a community supply of materials for them available for new players who join. I'll have to look into other security measures, but the main one is just knowing who's joining, so probably at most 1 close degree of separation from regular board members.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1089 on: 30 Oct 2013, 02:50 »

You don't necessarily need the materials for ender chests - you just need a convenient hub (available by say nether), where there's nether chests. That'll do until people can make their own.

This is all very far down the line. I wanna build some floating islands first.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1090 on: 30 Oct 2013, 12:22 »

I'd like to go sailing around, and while a dinky boat is easy to build, it is really hard to stay inside.

whoops.

splash.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1091 on: 31 Oct 2013, 02:52 »

I pulled the trigger on the server, just playing around on my own a bit to make sure I know how to do things. Post or PM me your  MC handle and I'll put you on the whitelist and PM the IP/port to you!

Edit: OK, after playing around, I seem to have a pretty good idea on how things work on the back end. Right now it's set to an Amplified world, but don't get too comfortable, let's see how the performance is both for the server and for members on slower computers for a while before going hog wild. Spawn is in a grassy valley between a Roof Forest and a regular forest, and the immediate terrain is fairly mild for an amped world, so pretty nice for an eventual spawn settlement. I built a small hidey hole with some basic supplies (wood and cobble to make tools, mushrooms and bowls for starter food).
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2013, 04:59 by Jimor »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1092 on: 31 Oct 2013, 06:45 »

My handle in minecraft is nekoali. I know. So original. :)

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #1093 on: 31 Oct 2013, 14:11 »

Mine is SageJiraiya! Been playin' since November 2011! Would love to do some coop with people. If it's okay, I think I'll state that I play on a semi-vanilla PvE server.

(click to show/hide)
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1094 on: 31 Oct 2013, 14:34 »

My username is Pilchard123.

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1095 on: 31 Oct 2013, 15:11 »

Redwolf4 should, of course, be mine.

Also, that optifine, will that work for the newest version?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1096 on: 31 Oct 2013, 15:43 »

OK, including myself, there are now 8 people on the whitelist (there are 2 places to enter names, and I may have done the wrong one at first, but now everybody is in both to be sure).

Just puttering around spawn, gathered some sheep, chickens and cows, and a small wheat farm going. Plus I got a carrot from a zombie almost right away so have 4 of them planted at the moment.

I've gotten some occasional block lag, but that might be on my end with the connection, but otherwise, seems to be running smoothly.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1097 on: 31 Oct 2013, 19:23 »

Not right now, might be a few weeks until it's updated. With every update, Minecraft's source code has to be unobfuscated from scratch in order to make the mods work again.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1098 on: 31 Oct 2013, 19:50 »

Not right now, might be a few weeks until it's updated. With every update, Minecraft's source code has to be unobfuscated from scratch in order to make the mods work again.
And with the amount of underlying code they changed in this update, particularly with the render engine, they might have to rebuild the mod code from scratch as well. The good news is that they've done a great job optimizing under the hood, so this should help older machines play better now than they have for a while.

I went into the server with my 2007 duo-core 2Ghz integrated graphics laptop, and was pleasantly surprised with how well it ran. I knocked it down to 6 chunks of view (server is at 12, btw), and it ran fairly smoothly, though I did have a hard time with a baby zombie coming at me, partly because of the lower frame rate, and partly because using the touch pad is not optimum for quick-response combat.

There's now a proper cabin at spawn to run into and grab some quick supplies, and the farm capacity is getting up there. One thing to keep in mind is that it takes a LOT of food when exploring to keep the hunger bar in check when clamboring over all these extra hills and mountains.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #1099 on: 31 Oct 2013, 22:31 »

I'm Schmee001, but my internets could best be described as 'snail-like'. I'll try to join when I can, though...
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28   Go Up