THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 13:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 425750 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1100 on: 01 Nov 2013, 01:37 »

What version is the server expecting?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #1101 on: 01 Nov 2013, 02:23 »

The latest update - 1.7.2.
(i think)
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1102 on: 01 Nov 2013, 02:33 »

Yup.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1103 on: 01 Nov 2013, 12:40 »

I'm going to be gone all day, so won't be able to add new people until after midnight pacific time, but I should be around most of the weekend after that. I made a basement under the spawn cabin where people can put personal chests, just be sure to mark them with a sign as well.

And yes, the server is on 1.7.2, survival, hard, and PVP off.

Happy mining!
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1104 on: 01 Nov 2013, 12:45 »

I'm going to purchase my own account and keep it on my new Prime system.
I feel like a bad dad to kicck my daughter off her PC just to play Minecraft.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1105 on: 01 Nov 2013, 14:04 »

Why? I'm using my son's account (which is why my name in-game is Iain_Minecraft, so if you happen to see that name you don't have to wonder who that is.)

Of course, the account is on MY computer - my son doesn't have his own yet. So it balances out.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Grognard

« Reply #1106 on: 01 Nov 2013, 18:51 »

I've got 10 PCs in the house. but the higher end PCs with the Win7 are in high demand.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1107 on: 03 Nov 2013, 18:37 »

Well, I wasn't planning to spend three hours on the server on my laptop but as you can guess, I did. I built a little hermit shack on a floating chunk of mountain. On a render distance of 8 chunks you can just about see its silhouette from the spawn point. It takes a bit of effort to get there, though. I built a cobblestone path (still unlit) to halfway up the mountain and put a campsite there. The rest of the path is marked with dandelions. Some athletics are required to make it the whole way; I made as few changes as possible to the mountain to make the path. Think of it as a parkour challenge. Of course you could build yourself some supports and bridges but I'd appreciate it if you broke them up behind you and left the path the way it was.

If you make it to the shack, you can witness a wonderful sunrise. The path doesn't really accomodate backtracking, though, so if you want to get back down from the shack you'll have to take a leap of faith...
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1108 on: 04 Nov 2013, 10:41 »

I built a second floor on the community utility building (the one with an enchanting table, an anvil, a potion stand, etc). There's nothing up there, so feel free to use it for whatever. Also feel free to replace the stained glass windows - that was an experiment, and I don't know if it turned out well...

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1109 on: 05 Nov 2013, 08:37 »

I had intended for my little stone tower beside the river to be a temporary base, but it seems I've decided to make it a little more permanent. And I've acquired a neighbor in Neko_Ali. So if you're in the neighborhood of the river south of spawn, feel free to drop by.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1110 on: 05 Nov 2013, 08:43 »

Oh, so that's your house? I built a staircase path from your place and Neko_Ali's all the way to the top of the mountain. You should make the trip, it's really nice.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1111 on: 05 Nov 2013, 10:53 »

Jesus Christ, that path is terrifying:-o

I may build something up there, though. It'll probably take a couple of weeks - I'll need a few trips to the Nether to gather supplies. But it'll be worth it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1112 on: 05 Nov 2013, 11:00 »

I was thinking of converting the plateau into a ranch of sorts. Little wooden mansion, big fenced-in area, with all the animals I can breed. What were you planning? A nether brick fortress?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1113 on: 05 Nov 2013, 12:06 »

A nether quartz sun temple, or something like that. But if you have plans for the plateau, don't let me get in the way - plenty of other sky-high peaks in the neighborhood I can use.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1114 on: 05 Nov 2013, 13:35 »

That's sounds like a way better idea. Go for it, and let me know if I can help.

Edit: Actually, I've made a path onto another nearby mountaintop, do you think that could fit your temple? The summit is a lot narrower but it has a great view and you can see it from many points near spawn. You can find the start of the staircase near the potato farm. It's located here relative to your house:

Also, while exploring that mountain, the lava stream below it saved my life. I could hardly believe it too. I was attacking a skeleton that was on the outermost ledge, but it hit me with an arrow and I fell off. I might have died had I not steered myself into the lava stream, which broke my fall. As soon as I was down I could jump into the water.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2013, 15:26 by LTK »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1115 on: 05 Nov 2013, 16:15 »

That should work - I don't need a huge footprint for the building. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1116 on: 05 Nov 2013, 18:36 »

If anyone finds a bunch of zombies running around with armor and swords and fishing lines down in the various tunnels Jimor has made, that is my fault.

Mine and the creepers.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1117 on: 05 Nov 2013, 18:41 »

That is a really nice shot of that little island plateau there. I didn't actually see your tower there when I started to build, Zeb. I came at the area I started to clear from the other side, that little arm that sticks out. I saw the tree I'm expanding on and the little path down to the water and thought this would be perfect... It wasn't till I went back to the spawn base to grab some more stuff that I saw the other side and your building. Still I don't mind the neighbor. :)

The path up to the plateau is dang scary. Especially coming down it. I almost went over the edge twice, and I suffer vertigo as it is... Heck of a view up there, but I"m not sure I want to go back up without a more secure way down. :)

Haseo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1118 on: 05 Nov 2013, 19:24 »

Due to the fact that 23 pages is a lot, I don't quite feel like searching the entire thread...

Is this a QC minecraft server, or is it a fan hosted? I'm curious. I'm a massive minecraft fan though.
Uhh. Signature here.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1119 on: 05 Nov 2013, 19:38 »

It isn't directly connected to QC or Jeph in any way. It's just a server that was set up by and for members of the forum.

Grognard

« Reply #1120 on: 05 Nov 2013, 19:40 »

been too busy to be online before now.
work is kicking my butt.  I'm barely here, much less hours necessary for MineCraft.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1121 on: 06 Nov 2013, 06:39 »

Yeah, the current generation of QC forums started about two pages ago. The old server died over a year ago.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1122 on: 06 Nov 2013, 10:03 »

I just did a measurement. Whenever I write something in chat, it takes 1 minute and 26 seconds before it turns up for me. The same thing goes for opening chests, sleeping, etc.

This is only the case sometimes, and the problem could be on my end - my university's internet is fast as hell, but the wireless is set up really, really badly. Like, speedtest.net shows downspeeds of > 20mbs, but I struggle with streaming from youtube at times. Still, 1 minute and 26 seconds isn't only ping - there's something weird about how Minecraft handles latency issues.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1123 on: 06 Nov 2013, 14:01 »

I made a prototype of the sun temple in a creative-mode world, just so I could be sure how I wanted it to look before I started on it on the server. Here are pictures of it at night and during the day. Spoilered in case you'd rather wait and see it after it's built. That could be a while - I need a LOT of quartz.

(click to show/hide)

If you'd like to see the building site, I made a more convenient way to get to the peak than LTK's mountain-goat path. Look for a door near the carrot patch south of the main spawn point. And it's just as exciting as the outside path, but in a different way.  :wink:

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1124 on: 06 Nov 2013, 14:41 »

You could cheap out and use smooth/chiseled/normal sandstone. It's pretty close!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1125 on: 06 Nov 2013, 14:44 »

I think sand is rare enough in our world that quartz is maybe the easier option.

I made a prototype of the sun temple in a creative-mode world, just so I could be sure how I wanted it to look before I started on it on the server. Here are pictures of it at night and during the day. Spoilered in case you'd rather wait and see it after it's built. That could be a while - I need a LOT of quartz.

I like it! I would actually use glowstone instead of fire, I think it fits better. I'd suggest daylight-sensitive lamps but those require some messy redstone circuits.

I almost forgot: Portals can be built larger than the default 6x4 blocks now. Although, sadly, it doesn't support non-rectangular or horizontal configurations, so no Stargates or surprise-floor-portals into the lava ocean. :lol: An amusing consequence is that if you make the portals really, really big, going into the portal at one end transports you to a different location than going into the other.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1126 on: 06 Nov 2013, 14:54 »

Sand is actually fairly common - you just need to go under water for it. And I considered going with sandstone, but I just like the look of the quartz better. Also sandstone has poor blast resistance, so one creeper can make a real mess of a sandstone structure. So I'll be making a few Nether trips over the next week.

One thing we might want to do is enclose the Nether portal near the spawn point, because as it is now mobs can wander into it, get transported to the Nether, and be waiting for you when you come out of the portal. My first trip to the Nether on this server lasted about five seconds, because a creeper was standing right next to the portal on the Nether side.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1127 on: 06 Nov 2013, 15:27 »

no Stargates

I think that was deliberate. There was a picture tweeted by jeb(?) that had a Stargate portal and a sign saying something like 'too cliché'.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1128 on: 06 Nov 2013, 16:07 »

My subway below spawn is moving along nicely. There are now stations in each of the 4 directions 500 blocks from the spawn station, and a stairway exit to the surface at each. It's only a walking path now, but as soon as I can get some efficiency/unbreaking diamond picks, I'll expand all the tunnels to 3x3, and eventually install rails as well. Currently, the south tunnel is probably the most useful, because it comes up on a beach next to the sea on the south coast, so can be used for oceanic expeditions. (BTW, the service has no limit on the world file size, so no worries about exploring to your heart's content). Outside of the West station, if you head north, there are horses and some donkeys, but to get them back, the tunnel needs to be expanded to at least 2x3.

ALso, down in the mine (there' a small hole near the path in front of the enchanting building, then follow the cobble path inside the hole) I created a simple lava smelter that uses chests and hoppers to feed buckets of lava to the furnace for mass smelting. I managed to create more than a small chest worth of smooth stone with it so far. I need to expand it to multiple furnaces to make the process faster, though.

Been having a bit of block lag myself today, but nothing as bad as you're reporting. And yeah, quite a difference between raw throughput, and latency on an internet connection.

EDIT:
One thing we might want to do is enclose the Nether portal near the spawn point, because as it is now mobs can wander into it, get transported to the Nether, and be waiting for you when you come out of the portal. My first trip to the Nether on this server lasted about five seconds, because a creeper was standing right next to the portal on the Nether side.

This is what I've been working on today, and yeah, saw the results on the other side...  :-o

EDIT2: Just did a server restart after noticing CPU and RAM were pegged. After the restart, with me and LTK online, it was running more like 40-60%, so sounds like some kind of memory leak issue, so I'll keep an eye out, and do regular backups and restarts. Let me know if this helps your issue, Snalin.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2013, 16:40 by Jimor »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1129 on: 06 Nov 2013, 19:00 »

This is a view of the spawn area.

Look where I built a bridge to the island on the left.

Now look where I could have built the same bridge to be shorter and more easily accessible.

:facepalm:

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1130 on: 07 Nov 2013, 06:25 »

Just an idea I'm throwing out here, that others should feel free to use, change or ignore. The subway stations should have names. So here's my proposal: The area around spawn should be known as Northampton, just because. (And I'm really tempted to put a "Coffee of Doom" sign on one of the community buildings.)

The subway station to the south would then logically be Southampton. Double points for the fact that it's on the ocean and Southampton UK is a major seaport.

The other three stations I'm not sure about. Anyone want to suggest some names?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1131 on: 07 Nov 2013, 07:10 »

We should probably wait until we build something around them. Anyways, I think "Coffee of Doom" is a better name for the main subway stop.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1132 on: 07 Nov 2013, 09:17 »

The area is coming along really nicely. I really want to add some more foliage around my little cabin though. If creepers would stop blowing me and it up while I try to work there... I vote for the main community building to be named the Coffee of Doom. Because what other place is more central? We could move the community use beds to another building or a second floor... Set up some counters, maybe a 'chalk board' of signs behind it and some seating areas to go with the community chests. Of course, we will need to add a whole lot of spider webs in the basement. :)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #1133 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:58 »

Jesus I can see this game has continued to grow as much as people have been telling me.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1134 on: 08 Nov 2013, 05:11 »

Okay, I've started a mob spawner. Should be finished in not so long.

The design have a bunch of mobs spawning and falling into a little tube, landing with little enough hp for you to kill them with one unarmed hit. I'm building the entire thing inside a mountain so it doesn't take up so much skyline (it looks kinda ugly if you build it outside). Besides, now I can mine instead of build.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1135 on: 08 Nov 2013, 13:43 »

Anyone else having trouble getting onto the server at the moment?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1136 on: 08 Nov 2013, 13:56 »

Yeah, it disconnected me and won't let me join again. The server listed says "Can't connect to server.". When I click to join anyway it just says "Failed to connect to the server.  Internal exception: io.netty.handler.timeout.ReadTimeoutException".
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1137 on: 08 Nov 2013, 14:01 »

Yeah, I just tried to connect and it looks like it's down at the moment.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1138 on: 08 Nov 2013, 14:03 »

Man, I just hope I didn't lag out as far back as when I was running from a creeper pack. That would suck.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1139 on: 08 Nov 2013, 15:25 »

Code: [Select]
public final class ReadTimeoutException
extends TimeoutException
A TimeoutException raised by ReadTimeoutHandler when no data was read within a certain period of time.

Basically the server stopped sending data. I think.

Grognard

« Reply #1140 on: 08 Nov 2013, 16:23 »

Is this still accurate? 69.162.123.107
if so, please add handle:  KSMonkey
I'll give this a go.
thanks

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1141 on: 09 Nov 2013, 01:39 »

That's not the address I have.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1142 on: 09 Nov 2013, 02:17 »

Sorry, was gone all day, but looking at the log, looks like the server crashed and didn't automatically restart. Restarting it up now. Looks like it may have been a memory overflow of some kind. I wonder if it's related to the lag issue and if there's a leak that needs constant attention.

Edit: oh, and added Grognard to the whitelist (IP sent in PM). Welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2013, 02:22 by Jimor »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1143 on: 09 Nov 2013, 02:48 »

Can you set it up to have automatic daily restarts? That should improve things.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1144 on: 09 Nov 2013, 03:45 »

Great idea! OK, if I've done this right, the server will restart automatically at 4am Eastern U.S. time, and there will be a 2 minute warning in chat to give you time to get to a safe place.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1145 on: 09 Nov 2013, 04:30 »

That's between 12 and 2 pm in western Europe, so those of us there will at work and stuff, so that'll work.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1146 on: 09 Nov 2013, 07:24 »

Look, Redwolf, you left too quickly, so I forgot to say:

if you want to get back to spawn, destroy the bed you're currently spawning in, and then die. That resets your spawn to the standard one.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1147 on: 09 Nov 2013, 15:36 »

sorry I haven't answered some questions sent my way. since the release of 1.7.2 is gonna interfere with the usefulness of optifine, I'll mostly be absent until a solution is developed. I'm still interested in this, though, and I'm down to play vanilla if anyone's got a server going.

for the record, my game handle is kimjongsick.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1148 on: 09 Nov 2013, 23:58 »

I put you on the whitelist, Patrick, so no harm in trying out the server to see if it's playable on your system.

Also, I changed the restart to every 6 hours, I figure that this will help keep any memory problems in check, and if the server does crash and I'm not around, it should eventually get going again relatively soon. I based it on the previous time I had set, so 4am, 10am, 4pm, and 10pm Eastern US time. It only takes about 30 seconds, and I set a 2-minute warning for them all as well.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1149 on: 10 Nov 2013, 09:00 »

Started a wall around the main village, to shield it from mobs. Feel free to expand or change it!

I've also removed my old tree farm, so there's a lot of real estate available at that spot:

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28   Go Up