THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417115 times)

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1250 on: 25 Nov 2013, 14:02 »

That...
was the most depressing advertisement I've ever read.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1251 on: 25 Nov 2013, 14:53 »

Meh, witches are easy. There's potions of strength and fire resistance in the library and an iron sword with sharpness I (or stone with II) will do it in a couple of hits.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1252 on: 26 Nov 2013, 08:28 »

according to the Wiki, witches are b est combated with Arrows.
hit em with arrows until they potion health themselves, then charge closer.
More arrows until they go to heal again,
then charge in for the kill with sword.

I'm willing to try, but it be a slippery bitch to catch up with.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1253 on: 26 Nov 2013, 13:13 »

when faced with witches I just fuck them up with swords like anything else and keep plenty of food on hand. I should probably keep health potions on hand too.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1254 on: 26 Nov 2013, 13:18 »

For anyone who enjoys water travel, it is now possible to travel from spawn to the Caspian Sea (i.e. the big southern ocean) entirely by boat. I connected a few existing waterways to make them continuous. Just head south down the river and you can't miss it.

I'm probably not going to be on the server much for the next few days due to the Thanksgiving holidays, so have a great weekend and I'll be  back on Monday!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1255 on: 27 Nov 2013, 14:31 »

Is anyone else getting continually kicked from the server with timeout errors and such?
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1256 on: 27 Nov 2013, 14:49 »

I managed to stop a forest fire, but it looks like it did some serious damage, and I can't rebuild because I can't seem to get online.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1257 on: 27 Nov 2013, 14:51 »

Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1258 on: 27 Nov 2013, 15:18 »

Of all the shit I had in my inventory, it was the stack of 21 diamonds and the fortune 3 diamond pickaxe that fell in the lava when I was killed by a zombie that pushed me in there.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1259 on: 27 Nov 2013, 15:21 »

Dude, that sucks.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1260 on: 27 Nov 2013, 16:36 »

You are welcome to have me fortune or silk touch stuff guys :)
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1261 on: 30 Nov 2013, 14:55 »

I was exploring what I thought was untreaded ground, but there is a torch here. Who was here before me?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1262 on: 30 Nov 2013, 16:55 »

Goddamn I wish me.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1263 on: 01 Dec 2013, 06:57 »

Uh, who took all the enchanted books from the house with the enchantment table? I found nothing in there but a bunch of Power books and a Bane of Artropods. Come to think of it, most of the community chests have been looking rather lean lately. There was no ready-to-eat food, barely any weapons, tools or armor, and no iron. I made some cookies and baked potatoes to fill the food chest with, and I left behind some iron too, but it would be appreciated if other people replenished what they took as well.

I managed to stop a forest fire, but it looks like it did some serious damage, and I can't rebuild because I can't seem to get online.
I just got around to checking this out. Something is wrong here. There's no nearby lava source that could have started this fire. Either lightning strikes have been causing fires that don't get put out by the rain, or someone's been starting fires. Snalin said a creeper exploded on the wooden bridge a while ago, but it didn't look like explosive damage, it looked like fire damage.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2013, 07:21 by LTK »

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #1264 on: 01 Dec 2013, 16:29 »

Weren't me.  I've barely played at all in the last couple weeks; I'm still periodically working on the platform but I need to spend much less time playing.
Other than that I have no opinion.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1265 on: 01 Dec 2013, 16:42 »

Weren't me, I've been busy on another server:

Main reason for not hanging out on QC was that I designed that thing, and couldn't really find anywhere nice to build it.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1266 on: 01 Dec 2013, 17:48 »

Add me to the list guise!

SN is ampmaster
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Grognard

« Reply #1267 on: 01 Dec 2013, 21:11 »

I've killed 2 witches recently.  Got shit for loot.

oh BTW: Whoever made the cookies: Thank You!  Those are cool.  I ddint know you could make e'm.
and no, I hven't had one yet.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1268 on: 03 Dec 2013, 05:11 »

Yeah, witches drop a bunch of crap other than glowstone, and that's not enough to make a difference.

I've been doing some exploring, and I don't know if anybody else has found it yet, but at around x=1000, z=1500, there's a mega taiga biome on the coast of the Caspian Sea southeast of Caspian Sea Monster's platform, and some more across the ocean to the south and east of that, if anybody is looking for some podzhol.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1269 on: 03 Dec 2013, 13:34 »

Anyone that's seen a sizeable jungle anywhere?

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1270 on: 03 Dec 2013, 15:45 »

There's a bunch of jungle to the west starting at about x=-2000, and then other bits south of that. You can see it change in F3 as you travel the West subway, but I don't think any of the exits end up very close. The subway has exits at ~ -1400, -1900, and -2400.

Grognard

« Reply #1271 on: 03 Dec 2013, 19:16 »

I'm building a bridge and tunnel to the north.

why?

cause i'm tired of hiking up and out of valleys

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1272 on: 04 Dec 2013, 03:07 »

Dude. Nether portals. I don't understand why more people aren't using them.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #1273 on: 04 Dec 2013, 03:20 »

I don't use them because my game lags the fuck out for 3 minutes every time I go through one.
Other than that I have no opinion.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1274 on: 04 Dec 2013, 03:48 »

Yeah, I've not got it that bad, but it takes about 20 seconds before I can really walk out of them without the game just lagging me straight back in them after a while.

I made another portal in the middle of everything. I don't think it should mess with any other portals, but if you're getting interference, that might be it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1275 on: 04 Dec 2013, 04:14 »

Yeah, I've not got it that bad, but it takes about 20 seconds before I can really walk out of them without the game just lagging me straight back in them after a while.

I made another portal in the middle of everything. I don't think it should mess with any other portals, but if you're getting interference, that might be it.
Yeah, now my home portal takes me to your nether portal. :lol: I moved my nether portal to the exact x and z coordinates of my home portal, but when the game looks for a nether-side portal I guess it takes the y coordinate into account as well. So, previously my portal went to SageJiraiya's portal, which was higher, and now it goes to yours, which is even higher.

I don't know why portals are so laggy for you. Does it help to turn the render distance down before you go through them?

Grognard

« Reply #1276 on: 04 Dec 2013, 08:18 »

the next diamond I see will be the First.
I've access to obsidian, but no way to mine it.

that, and I'm a bit intimidated by the math to build and properly locate Portals in the first place.
with my luck, I'd portal into a lava pit.
:(

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1277 on: 04 Dec 2013, 08:37 »

Nether portals aren't that exact a science, unfortunately. Sure they're good if you want to travel long distances quickly. But you have to deal with ghasts, lava lakes and other random nastiness.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1278 on: 04 Dec 2013, 09:42 »

You just take your coordinates of the portal in the overworld, divide by 8, and you get where the nether portal should be. It's not exact, because the algorithm that looks for matching portals is a bit wonky (and probably based on chunks rather than direct coordinates), but it's a pretty safe bet.

Ghasts are bad, lava lakes are much, much worse.

by the way, to the one of you living in the desert: I went by to forage some sand, hope that's cool. Tried to grab it from the edge of the desert, far away from your stuff.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1279 on: 04 Dec 2013, 16:38 »

Ghasts have terrible aim. A lot of the time the fireballs will go right over your head. You can also shoot the fireballs to deflect them, and if your aim is good you can kill a ghast with two arrows, and occasionally with just one. Lava oceans are a right pain (I accidentally fell into one when exploring a new nether fortress and killing blazes. You don't want to know about all the things that burned up.) but there's usually a path over or around them if you need to portal there.

In my experience, if you just divide your coordinates by eight and place portals at both ends, your portal connection will work exactly as it should. It is extremely easy. I just made the mistake of ignoring the Y coordinate in portal placement, which makes the overworld-nether connection a bit wonky because of all the nearby portals.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1280 on: 04 Dec 2013, 18:11 »

You are correct, Euclidian distance from overworld to converted nether coordinates are used:

From the wiki:

for a given location (X, Y, Z) in the Overworld, the corresponding coordinates in the Nether are (floor(X) ÷ 8, Y, floor(Z) ÷ 8 )

(...)

If a candidate portal is found, then the portal will teleport the player to the closest one as determined by the distance in the new coordinate system (including the Y coordinate, which can cause seemingly more distant portals to be selected). Note that this is Euclidian distance, not taxicab distance

That's Java's standard Math library's floor, which always rounds down: 29.5 turns to 29, -29.5 turns to -30. So if you want your portal to work properly, just move it up!

Lildirt

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • "I am nothing but a humble student of life."
    • Xenith
« Reply #1281 on: 05 Dec 2013, 19:26 »

I'm not sure where else to ask this since I cannot find said user, but I'd like to be whitelisted on the Minecraft server.

A friend of mine mentioned it to me and I found some interest in getting back in the Vanilla game instead of sticking to the developer side of things like I normally do.
My in-game name is "Lildirt", the same as my forum name.

I could be of assistance in plugin management or general advice, though I don't think you'd need it.
"Welcome .. to the Velvet room .."

TACTICAL FLUTING!

Grognard

« Reply #1282 on: 05 Dec 2013, 21:01 »

I'm actualy to the point of suggesting we RESET the server.
IRON is ridiculously hard to find...

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1283 on: 05 Dec 2013, 21:06 »

Would resetting keep all the stuff everyone has built and made?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1284 on: 06 Dec 2013, 03:40 »

Wait, what, iron isn't hard to find!

Just dig down to near the bedrock and dig away! Or go to one of the ends of the subway tunnel and dig from there. Ain't no big deal.

Haseo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1285 on: 06 Dec 2013, 04:15 »

Would resetting keep all the stuff everyone has built and made?

No. Unless we make the server a Bukkit server, give everybody access to World edit and tell them to save their houses as schematics. After we save houses/buildings as schematics we make a new world and people load up save schematics into where-ever they want said house/building.

I'm actualy to the point of suggesting we RESET the server.
IRON is ridiculously hard to find...

If you're having trouble finding iron... You're not splunking enough. I have an excess of the stuff and I'm not even trying to splunk.

I could be of assistance in plugin management or general advice, though I don't think you'd need it.
It's a vanilla minecraft server, no need for plugin managment.
Uhh. Signature here.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1286 on: 06 Dec 2013, 12:51 »

I made another thing!

Turned out decent, I guess. Thinking of making a little village on the mountaintop next to it, with a connecting bridge. Oh, and the dirt bridge will have to go.

Grognard

« Reply #1287 on: 06 Dec 2013, 19:00 »

very cool.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1288 on: 06 Dec 2013, 19:38 »

Needs it's luck dragons!

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1289 on: 08 Dec 2013, 18:34 »

I've been working on a large-scale mapping project, a 3x3 grid of full zoomout maps centered around spawn. I have all the maps created in the proper locations and partially explored (probably <25% overall at the moment). I have most of the ocean areas explored (easy by boat, even with their bugginess). The Caspian Sea is part of a larger Ocean that wraps all the way around to the Northeast map, then there are smaller oceans in the North map and Southwest map.

I have a copy on a wall in my sandstone house overlooking the sheep pen if anybody is curious about the general shape of our immediate world (feel free to make copies for yourself or fill-in exploration!). I've been working on creating portals to wilderness cabins near the center of each map, and so far, I have links to the Northwest, North, and Northeast, with mostly reliable paths in the nether to them. Each cabin has an ender chest, and a bit of supplies, but no food sources set up yet.

The big news of my exploration so far is that I found a mushroom island in the ocean about 2600 blocks due East of spawn. Plenty of mooshrooms on it, but getting any back to civilization...

For new posters waiting on getting on the server, I need to get a reliable backup regime going first. It's not that I don't trust those that have posted, but with the growing trend of "professional" griefers out there looking for easy targets, it wouldn't be responsible of me to just say yes to anybody that doesn't have a history here who asks without being able to protect the hard work of those already on the server. This is also when I'll start allowing close friends folks are willing to vouch for to also join.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1290 on: 09 Dec 2013, 05:11 »

K, I'm working on the upper left portion of the centre map. Walking around takes a while, though, so I don't think I'll do more than just that for now.

Grognard

« Reply #1291 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:23 »

I got mobbed by mobs last night.
3 skeles in armor + 8/9 zombies + 2 creepers + an enderman:  most of whom were in armor!!

they killed me at the far end of my bridge tunnel at daybreak.

but I think I killed the enderman w/my flame enchanted sword.

I respawned and was able to recover most of my stuff.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #1292 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:51 »

That must have been a truly epic battle.

Jimor, my apologies but I got ambushed by a creeper on the steps leading up to your place. I repaired as best I could but I'm not sure exactly how it looked before so you may need to do some tidying up.

I've been exploring the southern portion of the central map. Probably tackle the southwest tomorrow.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Grognard

« Reply #1293 on: 09 Dec 2013, 12:48 »

Found this webcomic and just HAD to link this particular strip...

http://iamarg.com/2011/11/04/minecraft/

so now if you see one ...  ;D

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1294 on: 09 Dec 2013, 14:12 »

Cake has been served.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1295 on: 09 Dec 2013, 17:27 »

Le gāteau est un mensonge.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #1296 on: 10 Dec 2013, 07:16 »

I see the 1.7.3/1.7.4 versions are live now. I'm going to keep the server on 1.7.2 for the time being, just to make sure there are no reports of any problems.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1297 on: 15 Dec 2013, 16:46 »

I just logged on quickly to show off the server to a friend and I found that 90% of all my villagers had congregated in the ladder shaft in the topmost house. When I went around to the top of the ladder and opened the hatch that closed it, all three dozen of them popped out like snakes out of a can. I don't know how there came to be so many or how they all ended up in that shaft, but there's a lot more villagers now with all fresh trades. I did have to break down the ladder and push each individual villager back down into the hole, which meant taking some fall damage, so I hope they don't hold a grudge.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1298 on: 15 Dec 2013, 18:20 »

So that's where they went!

Haseo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1299 on: 16 Dec 2013, 05:52 »

That's a mybad. I went upstairs and they all followed me. I didn't know how to get them down without hurting them/
Uhh. Signature here.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up