THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417169 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #50 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:48 »

Here is a shot from a distance for a better example of scale.

It doesn't look that bright at night in game, I did an "auto level" in the Photoshops.  It definitely needs more torches to get it looking more like that, which is more like what I want it to look like.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #51 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:49 »

Also: I'm probably gonna build a mid-tower castle hanging off the side of it, then build a farming area off the other side.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #52 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:53 »

Oh god you guys

shut up guys just be quiet maybe he won't know we're in here oh god I just spent ages on that bridge you guys come on

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #53 on: 26 Sep 2010, 07:17 »

Listen to Jimi Hendrix' Voodoo Child and dare tell me it's not about Minecraft.

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Yeah
Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise a little sand
Yeah

'Cause I'm a voodoo child Lord knows I'm a voodoo child
Baby I want to say one more last thing
I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to ya one of these days

Hahaha
I said I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back one of these days
Oh yeah

If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh
I'll meet ya on the next one And don't be late Don't be late
'Cause I'm a voodoo child voodoo child Lord knows I'm a voodoo child

Hey hey hey
I'm a voodoo child baby I don't take no for an answer
Question no Yeah

Also, check out the brick house I built. The roof is made out of stone stairs, which, strangely enough, let sunlight through.

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2010, 07:19 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #54 on: 26 Sep 2010, 07:47 »

That Jimi Hendrix link is hilarious.  At least I know now that I can play Minecraft in heaven.

Also, LTK, what skin are you using?  Cause the items in your inventory look different from mine.

Oh god you guys

shut up guys just be quiet maybe he won't know we're in here oh god I just spent ages on that bridge you guys come on

Something similar to this happened to my roommate.  He made another exit to his house, and ran away to do some exploring, b/c apparently the mobs disappear after you're a certain distance away.  Maybe that'll help?

Also, est, would you be offended if I stole your idea and made a spiral staircase similar to that in my world?  I think I have an idea on how to make it into a large bridge base in my valley extending to 4 cliffs surrounding my spawn point.

And, my roommate also made a tower that reached the sky (it has the eye of Sauron on top), and in the bottom of that tower he started a mine shaft which reached all the way to bedrock at the bottom of the map.  So in that one point he has a location that reaches from the 64 blocks below sea level all the way to the 64 blocks above.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #55 on: 26 Sep 2010, 08:02 »

I'm using the Painterly Pack retextures. It also comes in Halloween!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #56 on: 26 Sep 2010, 11:25 »

Okay so I've got magma, and I've got a bucket, but so far the way to get one into the other has not come to me

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #57 on: 26 Sep 2010, 14:13 »

I think you're supposed to be able to just right click on the water or lava with the bucket in hand in order to fill it?

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #58 on: 26 Sep 2010, 15:16 »

It has to be a lava /source/ to be put into a bucket.  I think that means you have to find where the lava's flowing from, not the lava that is flowing.  (the source should be the highest point of lava in a lava stream)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #59 on: 26 Sep 2010, 17:11 »

I made the mistake of using five iron ingots for a bucket, but that makes a minecart. If you haven't made that mistake, the bucket only works on standing lava, or lava sources, like isaiah says.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #60 on: 28 Sep 2010, 07:03 »

I just wasted a ton of wood making fence posts for a border on my staircase, but their effectiveness is kinda shitty since they're 1.5 blocks tall, and when I'm coming down the stairs I may accidentally step onto them and still fall off the staircase.  :(

Also I made a few of the little staircases to try out, but I think they're not worth the effort in the end run.  To make 4 staircases it takes 6 wood, but they only drop one wood block when broken (so don't misplace them!), and they're the equivalent of one block of wood height, but you can walk up it without jumping.  Not worth the hassle, imo.  Just warning people

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #61 on: 28 Sep 2010, 09:15 »

Stairs are pretty tricky to do when they can be aligned at different angles, but if you line them up properly they work pretty well, both side to side and going up. If you really don't like stairs, use ladders! Place sticks in an H, and you can place them against blocks to go straight up. Good for making shortcuts to the surface out of deep caves.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #62 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:55 »

Please tell me you guys saw this :

Someone reconstructs the USS Enterprise in Minecraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #63 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:54 »

That was insane.  I hope I never make anything like that, cause it means I've failed out of college for playing too much Minecaft.  At least it's in create mode and not survival.
I showed this to my roommate and made a horrible pun that after it's all complete he needs to place a tree trunk next to the Kirk's chair to be the captain's log.  :D

and, LTK, i'm planning on building a huge mineshaft with ladders tonight if I have time to play.  It should be nice, but ladders take sooo much wood (1trunk=4blocks=16sticks=only 2.286 ladders, covering only 5 squares of vertical distance) (and if Notch fixes the glitch where you can still climb ladders even if they're 1 square away, it'll take 2x as much wood, which is crazy)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #64 on: 28 Sep 2010, 15:10 »

I have finally mastered minecart boosters!

it takes a shitload of steel to make enough minecarts and tracks for it to work, but it's so worth it now that I have super-fast minecart travel between the various areas of my kingdom.
I was getting really sick of walking back and forth from my ultra-modern cliff top mansion to my Mine Field (hehe).

I think I'm gonna make a secret minecart track to an isolated island that I'm gonna build some kind of golden statue on. I was thinking a giant golden banana, but I don't know why.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #65 on: 28 Sep 2010, 23:51 »

Just died while carrying 9 diamonds, 64 iron ore, and nearly 128 redstone dust. FFFFUUU

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #66 on: 28 Sep 2010, 23:54 »

man, I always make sure to drop off my nice stuff in a chest before I go exploring
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #67 on: 29 Sep 2010, 05:20 »

I do too, but fear not, Catfish_Man, for if you return to the spot in which you died soon enough,a ll your stuff should still be there.  I fell off of a tower I was building (I should have been holding shift...) and immediately returned there after I respawned, and all my lost gear was still there (except for armor, which got destroyed on impact)!

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #68 on: 29 Sep 2010, 14:03 »

I've started to experiment with mega-statues. It turns out that an immense sword standing straight up doesn't really work well - the skybox is too low to get the proportions quite right. The next project is to make a sword sticking into the ground, with flames coming up where it sticks. When I've figured out how to make this work, I'm planning something more advanced, like a lion's/wolf's head around my cave entrance. Maybe a skull-fort. Fire for eyes in both cases, or maybe gold, if I can get enough.

It seems like the best way to get constant fire is to make a wooden block, place it so that none of the blocks in the 3x3x3 cube around it can burn, and light it up. That way the fire will be atop the cube, instead of beside it, which makes the cube burn away.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #69 on: 29 Sep 2010, 19:26 »

I just started playing Minecraft. It was boring the first day or two, but now I can't stop. I don't quite get everything yet: crafting, mining, etc., but I don't mind. I've started to level out a giant area and build a wall around it. I've no idea what I'm going to do with it once I finish leveling it out and completing the wall, but I'll figure it out once I'm done.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #70 on: 29 Sep 2010, 20:48 »

man, I just used the trial version of fraps to take a couple 30 second clips showing off some of my stuff, but it's gonna take like an hour per video to upload.

oh well, I don't think I'm that worried about it.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #71 on: 29 Sep 2010, 22:40 »

man, I always make sure to drop off my nice stuff in a chest before I go exploring

I'd picked all that stuff up on one exploring run, amazingly. Absolutely enormous natural cave network.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #72 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:39 »

I played for like 3 hours last night on the multiplayer server hosted by my school's linux club, and it was so much fun.  I started building a spiral staircase similar to est's, and someone else saw it, thought it was cool, and started making his own out of stone near it.  And then my roommate came on and decided to make a glass staircase beside mine as well, with lava flowing down it.  I hope everyone makes their own spiral tower eventually.
Me and my roommate just spoke about gathering a ton of wood, making a large man shaped statue, and putting down a signpost saying "on such-and-such day, around 10:00, during a night cycle, we will set this man on fire" and hopefully it'll become this cool large gathering on the linux server where we burn the man.

Also, does anyone here think they'd be up for hosting a Serious Pony Minecraft server?  I think it'd be pretty cool for those of us who play minecraft to have that option.  (i would host it, but my comp has no where near the specs to do that)

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #73 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:19 »

holy shit that would be awesome, somebody who knows what they're doing (not me) should totally do it
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #74 on: 30 Sep 2010, 13:28 »

First big construction done!

It's a sword sticking into the ground!

Here's a pic of how it looks during broad daylight, here's during the night, and this is the remains of the lava pool I used to make obsidian and the lava flow.

It's probably pretty easy to see what I've done: blade made of stone, crossguard from obsidian, grip from soil, and pommel from glass. The pommel is filled with lava, which runs down through the sword. I'm quite happy with this as a one-day project, but I've got some additional ideas:
- gold-inlays on the guard so you can actually see it during the night
- removing visible lava from the grip and the guard (I think that'll look cooler)
- project 2: a shield (the round kind, I guess) to go next to it. Bonus if I can make it slanted.

After that, maybe some kind of big tower complex with walkways and stuff (I've been experimenting already). I'm really hoping that we'll get a version where it's possible to cut blocks or round them off, because that'd make everything look soo much better. I'm already thinking about making walkways by first making them in stone one square down from where I want them, put the flat stairs things atop of them, and removing the original stone blocks, making a neat, thin line. Or something like that. This is like the sims, only more personal and more custom and more awesome.

Oh, and I don't really care much for the mobs, so it's peaceful for now.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #75 on: 30 Sep 2010, 17:42 »

That sword is really cool, and I agree about making the hilt more noticeable at night.  It looks a little off somehow, now.

My roommate tried making his tower with lava flowing down it and failed miserably.  I had to help him undo his error.  Now he's trying to make the glass tower into a spiral chute for lava to flow down, I hope it turns out well. 

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #76 on: 02 Oct 2010, 12:32 »

It would have taken a lot more time and work, but putting the cobblestone in the furnace would have made it back into stone.  It would have given the blade a much smoother texture. Still pretty cool.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #77 on: 02 Oct 2010, 13:46 »

I generally play on one of the Penny-arcade servers, here's a link on the MC forums about it/the expo server that just went up:

http://minecraftforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=1014&t=46625

It's pretty sweet. Rapture + the giant city in the skies. We're starting the Mines of Moria as of last night, too. Hopefully it will look similarly awesome later on.

My sad personal world has been so neglected since I discovered sweet multiplayer.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #78 on: 02 Oct 2010, 14:09 »

It would have taken a lot more time and work, but putting the cobblestone in the furnace would have made it back into stone.  It would have given the blade a much smoother texture. Still pretty cool.

Why didn't anyone tell me this before I started working? I just made a big fucking tower out of cobblestone. Now I'll have to do it all over again. Dammit!

Anyways, thanks. I've always regretted that carving out stuff doesn't look as good as the stuff that's been carved, so this will be a big improvement. I should probably look into multiplayer, but whenever I try, the game crashes after 30 or so secs.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #79 on: 02 Oct 2010, 15:17 »

It's a shame about multiplayer not working for you yet (once he takes it out of alpha it should hopefully be working better for you) cause it is ridiculously fun to be on a server with others. 
My sound doesn't work (the scroll bars are on 'off', and when i try to move them to not off the game crashes), which really sucks cause i don't hear zombies or skeletons or the creeper's hiss right before explosion (and i died yesterday by creeper sneaking up on me).

And, to Beren, I hope that when the Mines are done someone puts a signpost at the very end that says "This isn't a mine!  It's a Tomb!!!"

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #80 on: 02 Oct 2010, 17:08 »

that will be sweet. Right now it's just a huuuuge, like 100x100, hole in the ground down to bedrock.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #81 on: 02 Oct 2010, 17:19 »

Yeah, Ein's PA server is fucking awesome. So much cool stuff.

I have a pretty shitty internet connection though and it's usually full anyway, so I rarely play MP.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #82 on: 02 Oct 2010, 17:30 »

Holy shit that PA server.  I might try logging onto it for a bit and walking around if for no other reason than to get inspiration from all the awesome-looking stuff.

Theriandros

« Reply #83 on: 02 Oct 2010, 18:32 »

It was boring the first day or two, but now I can't stop.

That's always how it starts...

Also, about the sword: Needs lava flowing from the base so it looks like the blade's actually stabbing into the earth and making it bleed.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #84 on: 02 Oct 2010, 21:23 »

Also, about the sword: Needs lava flowing from the base so it looks like the blade's actually stabbing into the earth and making it bleed.

seconded

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #85 on: 03 Oct 2010, 16:48 »

I hope everyone saw the two minecraft comics Penny Arcade made.  The second (below) was amazing

Also, my school's linux club server is trying out the Runecraft mod tonight, I wanna play around, but I have so much studying to do for the 3 tests I have in the next 2 days.  It seems cool as a mod, but I'd rather the curr world we have stay unmoded, but create a new world for the mod, but the guy running it said he thinks his comp may not handle another world.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #86 on: 04 Oct 2010, 15:39 »

Huge update coming Oct 31.

http://minecraft.net/boo/

The limited time on torches sucks a lot, but there is a rumor going around that all existing torches will turn into lanterns on that day (My roommate says the guy he heard it from online emailed/tweeted at Notch, and he replied with "thats a good idea")

Also, burning man is going fine, we're thinking of burning him maybe on Nov 5.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #87 on: 04 Oct 2010, 20:02 »

I'm sort of bummed out with the no infinite lava thing.  I almost wish that something like Dwarf Fortress' magma sea (vast and infinite) could be implemented as an option for map generation.
Do or die, guys!

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #88 on: 04 Oct 2010, 20:49 »

I don't understand what you mean?  Are you talking about the mentioned fast travel hell world?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #89 on: 04 Oct 2010, 22:43 »

There are pools of lava underground that are infinite. It has to be a still pool though, no flowing.

You can scoop up all you want and it won't go away unless you fill it in.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #90 on: 04 Oct 2010, 23:31 »

Not the hell world, I'm referring to how in dwarf fortress every map has a z layer that is pretty much just magma and no matter how much you pump out it never runs out.  It would be nice to have an infinite source of obsidian.

I guess I'll have to look around a bit more and test it out.  So far I've just seen post about how pools of magma are limited, it's just that they can be multiple blocks deep, which gives them the appearance of being infinite.

Do or die, guys!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #91 on: 05 Oct 2010, 04:31 »

Yeah, I thought magma worked like water (you can make a 4x1 pool of water that's basically an infinite source of water), but magma doesn't do that. Pools seem infinite because they are so deep.

See, when you put water or magma in a bucket, you have to pick up a magma or water unit (a spring), not something that flows out of that. But for some reason, when you remove water from a pool, and the other water around it fills it up, that becomes a new spring. That does not work with magma (believe me, I've tried), possibly because that would create a way too easy access to obsidian. And, I guess, lava in general.

For some reason, the infinite water trick doesn't work in the middle of the sea, picking up water there seems to leave a block that has four other blocks of water flowing into it, giving a kind of whirlpool-effect. The infinite water thing also means that you can take a small pool, fill it with thousands and thousands of liters of water (1 block = 1x1x1 meter = 1000 liters), and still have it stay as big as it is, due to water never being allowed to go higher than itself. The same, sadly, goes for magma, making magma misplacing such a hassle, since you have to go all the way back underground to find magma again if you misplace it atop of a full lava pool.

Fancy water effects are difficult to make, but I'm working on a nice-looking waterfall down the side of a tower. Also going to finish up my sword when I bother to start moving lava again. I also want to make an awesome railroad, but it takes so much steel.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #92 on: 06 Oct 2010, 00:48 »

Map with minimal exploration, just building a castle and courtyard, along with a giant bridge back home after a little day trip:
link because picture is huge and I forget how to make it a thumbnail
Map with some exploration in one direction, wondering if it just continues to generate more map:
Map after I realized it just creates more and more map, decided to make a boat and wander into the ocean for a while to see what I'd get.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #93 on: 06 Oct 2010, 15:31 »

To resize an image you can just add "width=#" and "height=#" (measured in pixels) in the [/code]

what program do you use to map out your world?  Cause the multiplayer server I play on usually also has one, but I think yours looks better.

yesterday I went onto the school's linux club's server and just walked straight for a long time.  I generated a lot of map, and found an extensive gigantic cave system.  It was awesome, and I have a ton of wood now to work on burning man.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #94 on: 07 Oct 2010, 01:14 »

I use Cartographer, found in one of the helpful threads on the Minecraft forums.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #95 on: 07 Oct 2010, 02:39 »

The detail on Cartographer is quite amazing. I generated a map and you could even see the place where a creeper blew up earlier that day.

öde

« Reply #96 on: 09 Oct 2010, 04:50 »

http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=odei

Ready for halloween!

Trying to find a good online server at the moment.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #97 on: 09 Oct 2010, 06:32 »

http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=odei

Ready for halloween!

Trying to find a good online server at the moment.

I was also looking for a decent online server, but I think I'll hold off until Survival Multiplas player is fixed.  Right now it might as well be creative mode.

öde

« Reply #98 on: 09 Oct 2010, 19:31 »

I'm getting into single player a bit more.

Unfortunately this shot lacks the second, larger tower, and the glass throne that pisses lava into the valley.

However, I then found a giant floating island and promptly turned it into a hell ship.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #99 on: 09 Oct 2010, 21:05 »

I really like the tree growing on the ship.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up