THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 18:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey you, where do you live?  (Read 36252 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Hey you, where do you live?
« on: 29 Sep 2010, 17:41 »

This is a thread for telling everyone about where you live. What do I mean about telling people where you live?

Well, don't write a list of where you live like some sort of geographical fuckin' Linnaeus taxonomy. Pick a location where you live: your country? Your state? Your city? Your neighborhood? Your school? Your house even? Write about it. Be creative. Talk about the culture, the history, the food, the people, the architecture, the music! Embellish! Have fun! Draw pictures! Make a YouTube video! Call up David Lynch and have him do some sort of fucked up dream within a dream sequence where a physical embodiment of your city is brutally murdered to Joy Division. I don't care, just be interesting!

Tell me, goddammit, where do you live?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
Re: Hey you, where do you live?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2010, 17:46 »

USA.
Just kidding, will update tonight or tomorrow depending on how much time I have left after this paper...

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2010, 17:47 »

Most people on this forum know where other people live.  We even had a map once....where was that anyway?

My city...my city is a shining utopia on the outskirts of the ruins of progress.  I live a mere two miles away from one of the worst places in the country to live, a place that was once celebrated for it's mechanics and music.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2010, 17:50 »

« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 17:58 by jhocking »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2010, 17:51 »

I live in a place that has been designated Alger Man Club, or AMC for short. It is located on MANLEY ROAD, naturally.

Basically, we just hang out in the woods being hermits, make fires, swing on rope swings, drive motorcycles, party, smoke weed, play video games, and watch Netflix. there's a piano and a banjo in there somewhere, too. Our phone is a duck.

also, we might be getting a puppy soon.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2010, 18:23 »

I live in a new house in an old neighbourhood right across the water from a pretty, gritty city.

We're so close that I leave home at 8:20, I catch a bus to get to work by 8:30. I'm always late anyway. I blame the buses.

I spend 5 days a week in a tall, tall building surrounded by other tall, tall buildings and with the rush of commuters and tourists along every footpath.

It's kind of a relief to get home to my rickety tree-lined street.

Across the road from our house, where I catch the bus in the mornings, is a huge old abandoned power station. It looks amazing. Every day I try and figure out how to get in there without getting caught, every night I am terrified by its danger and loneliness...

and wonder what it would be like to climb one of those chimneys, what it would be like to fall from one.

On the weekends we go for long walks to undiscovered streets, houses old and new, all beautiful no matter their state.

Sometimes we venture a little further.

Sometimes I miss my hometown, all grass and cows and long-limbed eucalypts. But I can still find green places here. I just have to look.

In the end I love my adopted home, with all of its beautiful grandeur...

... quirky surprises...

...and so many exciting secrets.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2010, 18:38 »

Wait dude I thought that was like a summer thing? Now I'm double jealous because you live there all the time? (edit: this a response to SWM, Lunch was too fast)

Behind my flat is Greyfrairs Kirkyard which is the graveyard where Greyfrairs' Bobby sat on his owner's grave until he died waiting for his owner to come back. This story inspired the saddest Futurama (or even TV) episode of all time. It's also the graveyard where Burke & Hare dug up bodies to sell to the medical school of the University before they started killing people to make sure the bodies were 'extra fresh'.  
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 03:46 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2010, 18:53 »

I live in a place that has all the beach but none of the ocean. We have snow capped mountains and blistering heat sometimes in the same day. Rattlesnakes and Rabbits are abundant, shade is not. Very quiet town yet 10min drive away is the deadliest city in the world.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2010, 19:00 »

I will go take photos of where I live after I have finished doing my cleaning. It may be a while.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2010, 22:10 »

Middle Earth
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2010, 22:17 »

I live in a nice house in a quiet neighborhood. The rent is a little high but I like it. I've only lived here a couple of months, but I'm starting to settle in. Doesn't quite register as "home" yet and I'm not sure why.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Mynah

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2010, 23:49 »

I live on campus at what is probably the easiest school to get into in the whole state, if not New England as a whole.  It's pretty here, though.  We have a pond, and it's up in the mountains, so the views are really nice.  It's also in the middle of nowhere, so it's generally pretty safe to just... get up at 3am and take a walk around campus and not really worry about anything happening, and you get a lot of chances to see wildlife at night, and there aren't that many people, so it's not crowded at all.  I love it, really.

Also, I have the best suitemates on the planet, so that's pretty rad.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2010, 00:17 »

I'm from Florida.
Hate, rain on me

Zingoleb

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2010, 00:31 »

I'm from Albion, NY. Aside from the people who live here, the place is a tiny, strangely cultured town. Like - I live across the street from an opera house which is a coffee-shop downstairs run by an opera singer, there's always string quartets or classical guitars that have literally toured the world coming to town (I met Pavarotti's guitarist, he's a great guy and I'm pretty good friends with his sister!), and there's two art galleries. The architecture is really beautiful, just a bunch of old buildings. It has incredible potential to be such an awesome little town on the Erie Canal, like it could be a great college town, except there's a far better college town ten miles away that gets most of the good people and businesses and this place gets the leftovers, it feels like. That's downtown anyways.

The rest of the place is just really, really country. Literally, miles of cornfield and/or soyfields, apple orchards, grapes, forest, creeks and hills...it's actually a really beautiful place (except for the minor detail that there's a LOT of swampland and thus a LOT of mosquitoes) and I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be in summer than where my father's house is. He owns this 200-year-old farmhouse that needs repairs and he's too broke/inept to fix it up. It has like...six bedrooms, a living room and bathroom upstairs, and three bedrooms, two kitchens, two living rooms, a bathroom, a pantry/converted into laundry-room and a sun room which is mostly windows downstairs. I can't wait to fix it up someday proper, because it's such a gorgeous house and I don't want to see it fall apart.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2010, 00:42 »

River Phoenix came here looking for his mother, but got rolled and kidnapped in this one arthouse film I saw.  It's kind of in the middle of a desert between nowhere and one of the greatest cultural meccas on earth.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2010, 00:47 »

Florida.

That video seemed to last so very much longer than one minute and fifty-nine seconds.

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:21 »

i live where these come from,

When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #17 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:57 »

I live in the same city as Lunchy, it's one of my favourite cities when the state government isn't shitting it up for the rest of us.

My place is in the Eastern suburbs, the cool thing about is that I've got the Tasman directly to the east and the city to the west. Next time you're at the Opera house, wave towards the Gap - on the remote chance that I'm looking over there with binoculars I'll wave to you.
I don't usually go to the city as much as I used to since last Summer 'cause I got accepted into UNSW (yay!) and not UoS (boo!). If I want to go shopping or out I usually stay in the Bondi-Randwick-Kensington area. There's a lot here to like from the coffe cart on the library lawn to Booked Out and the Ritz.
Most beaches are just a quick bus trip away, so I can easily get Clovelly, Coogee or Tama in no time at all. I usually avoid Bondi beach cause it's always full of tourists and everything is marked up by 1000% or something like that. I don't surf but I should take it up.

I'll post pics of the view later when there actually is a view. It's spectacular.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep 2010, 05:20 »

I live in a house built out of treebones. There are three battlefields of commercial purposes in a walking distance of five minutes. Despite that, our place is rather calm. The only threat are some felids. Five days a week I ride on an electrified mechanical snake to a place of higher learning. There I explore the logical and physical fantasies of earlier minds.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:44 »

I live in a punk house with a bunch of hippies.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:10 »

I live in this shithole town that apparently has a fair amount of history.

We have a castle

it was built in the 1070s and slighted in 1646 by the Roundheads because some idiot thought he was better than the common people.

We also have an old monastery

it was built in 1134 and dissolved in 1536; now it is a museum.

Now the houses look like this

and the area is pretty poor.

We too have a chemical plant

however, this one is still active and the pollution is horrid.

So there you have it, it's fucking grim up north.

He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #21 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:29 »

I live in what is appropriately described as a glorified box amidst people who I don't really know at all.  But my dorm is one of the most centrally located on campus, and is close to the music building and student center, two places where I spend a lot of time.

I want to study abroad next year because sometimes I feel like I've spent too much time in one spot and I need to go live somewhere new for a bit to appreciate what I've got where I am now.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2010, 13:55 »

i live where these come from,

Hoth?
James The Kugai 

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2010, 14:06 »

I live in a place that looks like this in the wet seasons...

...and this in the dry ones.

I'm pretty near this place (clickable),

about four hours from this place (clickable),

and three hours from here (clickable).

Honestly, though I've lived in LA and spent a lot of time in San Francisco, I think I greatly prefer the central coast.  It is a place of transcendent beauty,

where horses are kept,

where pelicans take off,

and crabs, er, you know...

and sometimes, even in the sadder, dirtier places, beauty weasels its way in.

(all photos my own)

Also, bonus video! (sorry for the terrible sound)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2010, 14:52 »

I live on a busy street in an old building. There's lots of people that walk and drive by, some serenely walking their dogs, other blaring whatever disco or rap they happen to be into that day. (We definitely dance to car radios.) There are plenty of shops and restaurants along our street and also several buskers and artists who will draw your portrait. The little theater has all the popular independent films, maybe a mainstream film, and also Rocky Horror. Saturday nights always draw the most diverse crowds. Passersby always get to smell the different scents of the businesses - curry, incense, popcorn, wine. It's a little piece of bliss wrapped in the noise of people and cars.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2010, 15:13 »

AHHHHH

AHHHHH

I... what?  Was this directed at me?

(Is Tommy afraid of all crustaceans, not just isopods?)

(On second thought, maybe I shouldn't post pictures of fucking crabs on the internet.)

(Nah, totally worth it.)

(That's a picture made for sharing.)

(Haha.  Sharing crabs.)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2010, 15:27 »

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2010, 15:45 »

WHO TOLD YOU THAT
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2010, 18:17 »

That dude on the street corner?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 30 Sep 2010, 18:27 »

Hey guys, I'm from New Mexico!

Where is New Mexico?

It's right here:

What is New Mexico?

Well, unlike some states like New York, New Jersey, or New Georgia, New Mexico was once a mighty big part of Old Mexico. Then some asshole went to war with Mexico and kicked some ass and in response, Mexico gave a big ass chunk of itself to the US in the form of the New Mexico Territory:

That big green part marked Arizona is actually New Mexico too. That's the best map I can find, but it's from the Civil War and the big green part is the part the Confederates took over and named Arizona before they were defeated at Glorieta Pass and were kicked the fuck out of New Mexico again. Congratulations you fucktards to the west of me on your achievement in history! (I think the little dude in the corner is not actually a place in Texas, but some Arizonan cock.)

Anyway, over time white people started filtering into the area. A bunch of dudes and their billion wives followed Brigham Young to Utah and that was given to them to shut them up. A bunch of people realized Colorado was tits and set up shop there. I don't know what Arizona's deal was, fuck 'em.

In 1912, New Mexico finally decided to become the 47th state and 'lo there is New Mexico. (Arizona followed suit a month later so there's no 47 star flags. Fuck 'em.)

Okay so what's New Mexico like?

Well, first of all, there's a bunch of hispanic people here. Shit-tons. In fact, it has the largest hispanic population per capita in the country and non-hispanic white people are a minority! 1) It's actually pretty rad, because, having lived here forever and been to the rest of the country, it is one of the least racist places I have ever seen. 2) If you call them Mexicans they will fuck your shit up.

Also, we have great fucking food. New Mexican food is unique in American cuisine and Mexican cuisine for a number of reasons.

1) Green chile. The official name of this stuff is an Anaheim pepper, New Mexico cultivar. No one in this state knows that because it is 'green chile'. It can be eaten battered, filled with cheddar, and fried; it can be chopped up and put on basically any food you can think of: burgers, hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, beer, whatever; it can be cooked into a sauce and used to smother your food in it; it can be dried and crushed and turned into a red sauce known, creatively, as red chile which has radically different flavors and is equally delicious. It is the best condiment/food on Earth. The official state question is "Red or green?" because it is the first thing you're asked when ordering New Mexican food.

2) Native American tribes. Unlike the rest of the country, our Native Americans still live here and have influenced our cuisine. As a result, we have shit like sopaipillas/fry bread which are just fried up pieces of fluffy dough all tasty crispy then you smother it in honey or fill it with beans and chicken or carne adovada and it's fucking great. (Wait, carne adovada? Yeah, another fucking delicious New Mexican thing where you just cook pork in aforementioned red chile forever and then it's all delicious and spicy and falling apart and fuck it's good.)

Two is a number.

Also, it's called the Land of Enchantment. That's a big fucking claim. It falls kinda short because I can't get a bag of infinite holding or anything, but it is awfully pretty. Here. Have some scenery.

I live in a fucking rad place.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 18:46 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 30 Sep 2010, 19:49 »

fargo has a few parts to it. downtown is the awesome place where you can see a show, gig, fight, and all your friends. it's being gentrified right now, so some people who remember it from back in the day are still scared of it, but mostly now it is all hipsters and metal kids. the downtowners and the city call it the downtown renaissance but i mean really yeah it is gentrification. unfortunately, it is also very cliquey. i never used to think it was but i think that's just because i am a weird person who sorta fits in anywhere there's booze. there are some local bands who everyone thinks are good, and it's hard to get in the door if you're a new band or just play different music at certain venues unless you have a former member of a broken up local band from the ralph's days. that's probably true of every scene though, huh?

i live in the shitty commercial part of town near the mall. it sucks, but it was the only place i could get a one bedroom i could afford with a dishwasher. i fuckin' hate dishes. it's also close to where i work, which is a call center for a bank. it doesn't suck so much as my last call center at a bank job because i just talk to bankers instead of customers so they are tons less likely to cuss me out or waste my time. there are a lot of call center jobs here actually, mcdonalds has a tech support thinger, eharmony has their customer service here, and then the two banks. i'm sure there are more.

my boyfriend lives in a part of moorhead (i sleep there a lot) in a neighborhood that is well known in the area (hey here is a news article from a year ago about a riot). but hey, his rent is $130/month. recently there was a murder. in a town that is also known for very low crime rates, this was a big deal to the people. if a fargo/moorheadian were to ask him where he lives and he says near romkey park, chances are they will be like "...oh. are you ok?" moorhead has a history of racial tension, not only with this incident.

my mommy lives on a cute ranch near where chuck klosterman is from and it has her husband's mom, cows, horses, kitties, and doggies. the closest bar is the best bar in the entire world!!! the bartender is apparently like 199 years old, has no teeth and doesn't card you if you drink old man beer like i do. they have planks over the dirt floor and the roof is curved in. it looks like a dive bar in the middle of nowhere from a movie, but it is real! and fantastic. i saw a fox and a coyote today too.

(i didn't take that picture; that is just what it looks like in winter--looking down a gravel road)
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 20:03 by BrittanyMarie »
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 30 Sep 2010, 22:48 »

That pic reminds me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCUYG2xuHI

:-D
James The Kugai 

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #32 on: 01 Oct 2010, 08:02 »

I also live in Fargo. See Brittany's post for general information.

As for my neighborhood- I live in North Fargo, which is more the older part of town, and my area is full of the cutest cute little houses and tree lined streets and there is an ice cream truck that comes through every few weeks! I lived downtown previously and it was fun, but I like living in a house in a quieter part of town too. Also there is a dishwasher and a washer/dryer in this house. And it has a backyard. With grapes.

Here is my cute adorable house!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #33 on: 01 Oct 2010, 12:18 »

so right now, i live in this place called shepherdstown, WV. it more or less looks like this.

basically, it is a tiny little town in wv that so happens to have a university in it. i go to the school, which honestly is a pretty shitty institution. they have a pretty alright music program though, so it works. i live on campus, in this shithole of a building.

its an apartment complex, and me and my roommates have set ours up pretty nicely though so its pretty alright. now there are some pretty neat things about shepherdstown, despite the fact that its in west virginia. for one, 95% of the town smokes pot. even the old people. for example, the old dude who owns the coffee shop in town smokes a lot of pot. he's an asshole though. this is his coffee shop though, which is pretty alright. it looks like this:

they make pretty good coffee, and im best frands with one of the baristas (who is so fucking cute oh my god) that i can get free drinks and just sit outside and drink coffee and smoke cigarettes, which is pretty cool. there is also a pretty cool wall in shepherdstown, it looks like this:

there are really really free markets here sometimes (because at least 95% of the town population that is under 30 years old is a radical leftist of some sort), which are pretty cool cause i can usually find bad record covers to hang up on my wall. also i found two shirts there at the last one, which ruled. anyway, there is also a really cool restaurant called the blue moon. they make the tastiest food. they also do pretty rad open mic nights and shows but recently some fuckface was drinking underage there and got caught drunk driving and told the police she was drinking at the blue moon so all their shows are 21+ now for the time being. stupid motherfucker. anyway, that is basically the jist of shepherdstown, going to school, drinking coffee, getting drunk, smoking pot by the potomac river (oh yeah its also like two seconds outside of md, which is pretty neat), and all sorts of other bullshit hipster/hippie bullshit.

« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2010, 12:21 by sean »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

sean

• welp
« Reply #34 on: 01 Oct 2010, 12:22 »

oh yeah and i am basically the town hipster, its pretty neat.

Neskah

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #35 on: 01 Oct 2010, 18:30 »

LUNCH!! Damn it you made me tear up and I've just put on mascara!

I miss Sydney sooooo much!!! New Zealand is nice, beautiful even when it can stop raining for 5 goddamn minutes.... but I mean Sydney is my HOME and always will be.

Damnit I wanna go home!!

One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Zingoleb

« Reply #36 on: 01 Oct 2010, 20:08 »

curry incense, popcorn wine.

This is how I read that and was intrigued on both accounts.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #37 on: 01 Oct 2010, 23:13 »

WV

Dude, where on the West Virginia Howdy are you? I have never even heard of Shepherdstown.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #38 on: 02 Oct 2010, 00:16 »

I live in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Basically the state is roughly bisected by the Rockies (with slightly more mountain side than plains side). Fort Collins is one of a number of cities located along the "Front Range" of the mountains on the East side - If you go about two miles to the West of my apartment you start getting into the foothills. Ecologically it's an interesting place, especially where the foothills become the mountains, but I digress. The weather is mostly unpredictable but generally pretty pleasant - we've noticed a lot warmer temperatures since I was a kid, and those with any knowledge of the state of the mountain ecology don't really doubt global warming. Our pine forests are being rapidly destroyed by an infestation of beetles that can only be killed off by a frost period of several consecutive days, a phenomenon that we haven't experienced in a few years' time (the demise of the forests have made a boon for collectors / users of rare woods - a pine killed by beetles takes on a striking blue color). Aside from the occasional blizzard in the Winter months we don't experience a lot of inclement weather - our position close to the mountains causes air masses to "jump" us as they roll off thems, and severe Summer thunderstorms tend to hit Greeley, the city across the Interstate a few miles to the East that no one likes, pretty hard, and we're left alone. Summers here are often breathtaking. Winters are cold, but not nearly as nightmarish as the northern states'. The worst part of it is that we have very low humidity out here, which means the cold has a bite to it, and your skin will chap easily.

In 2006 Money Magazine listed this city as the #1 best place to live in the US. It is a pretty awesome town, both if you're an old looking to retire (though Loveland, where I grew up, is just to the South of here and is much quieter) or if you're a young person who doesn't mind a bit more isolation than you'd find in a city. If you can find a good job out here, a good single-bedroom apartment costs you about $700/month, which for this location is jack-shit nothing. Costs even less if you've got roommates. We're a good hour and a half north of Denver and Boulder, which are hipper towns to live in but much more expensive. One disadvantage is that good bands that aren't big enough to tour arenas but not small enough to tour in hipster bars sometimes don't make it out here - but we do have Red Rocks to the South, and as long as we have that we get what we need. I'm big into electronic music and honestly CO really sucks in that regard (the only towns in the US that really don't are LA, San Fran, Chicago, and New York, with some outliers like Baltimore and Philly).

In terms of culture, well, it all kind of revolves around CSU. We're a Land Grant school with a bit of a party reputation - the College avenue corridor alongside campus had the highest DUI arrest rate in the nation, at least for awhile, and frats / sororities are pretty active, though they're easy to ignore. We've got a decent amount of creative types and a modest but healthy music scene - recent acts to come out of Fort Collins to find some measure of wider success have been Candy Claws and Dovekins, though the mastermind behind the latter is an ex of my best friend and a serious, serious asshole.

Random trivia - Apparently the "Main Street" at Disneyland is modeled after Old Town Fort Collins, which, to be honest, is a really beautiful clutch of city blocks. Around December they festoon the entire place with Christmas lights and it's amazing.

If I'm not miserable and in debt and stuck somewhere when I get older, I'm coming back here, no question about it.

This is the view from East to West. I don't go up into the mountains nearly as much as I should, because I'm enchanted whenever I do. But heights and wide spaces just freak me the fuck out, see?

Closer by and just as pretty is the reservoir. If you look on the right side of the foothills up on that last picture you can see where they dammed to create it. There are a lot of neat trails around there... I always seem to get into them when it starts getting cold outside. We will probably be taking Dovey and Sam out there on Sunday.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2010, 00:23 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #39 on: 02 Oct 2010, 05:49 »

I live in Wisconsin, dere hey.

And that's about all I need to say. God's Country, aina?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #40 on: 02 Oct 2010, 08:22 »

I live for 3/4 of the year in a beautiful city full of bicycles, Japanese tourists and intense, pale people who talk about astrophysics and the status of women in 11th century Ireland and aren't joking.

This is the building I live in, although I face onto the courtyard behind the part you can see. It was built in the Queen Anne style and every part of the college is accessible indoors, so that the Victorian ladies at the time wouldn't have to get their skirts wet crossing the gardens.

Which look like this.

Sometimes I get a bit choked up thinking about the fact that I live here, and that however long I live and however far away I end up moving, this will still be somewhere I can come back to and feel part of. There's this chain of amazing women stretching back to 1871, all supporting each other and battling against the odds so that people like me could sit in an adorable little room with a pile of books and build themselves a future that is more free and more promising than those 19th century women could have imagined. Especially at this time of year, when a whole flood of new girls are arriving and I just have to walk down a corridor to see how everyone else feels the same way as I do - that just by coming here, and being a part of the college, you are immediately linked. Right at this moment there's a crowd of people in the entranceway waiting to welcome people in and answer any questions, show them to their rooms, give them their keys and make them feel as at home as we all do now.

I expect it's the same in every college and every uni, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

sean

• welp
« Reply #41 on: 02 Oct 2010, 10:04 »

hey katie shepherdstown wv is right here, in the eastern panhandle. its just barely in wv, you can see maryland from campus.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #42 on: 02 Oct 2010, 10:11 »

Yeesh, close to Frederick and Harper's Ferry, not much out that way.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #43 on: 02 Oct 2010, 13:03 »

My home, last February, after the valentine's day blizzard (17 inches of snow in 2 days)

The house was in the same family for 98 years before we got it at an auction.  I've been trying to restore it bit by bit over the last 12 years I've owned it, but in that time my wife's become disabled, one of my children came down with cancer and is also disabled, I've had to take on a second job to support everyone, and I'm pretty much resigned to just keeping the place from falling in on itself. 

And I'm failing at that.  The kitchen ceiling collapsed two winters ago, and the hole's been patched, but still hasn't been finished.  The bathroom floor's rotting (seriously, who puts hardwood floors in a bathroom?), and the garage (an old stable) needs a new roof.  Last year. 

We live in the foothills of the Allegheny mountains in PA, in a fair sized city who's sole reason for existance was the railroad.  When that collapsed, the city fell on hard times, and will probably never recover.  I love it here.  So much history, artful decay, and attempted rennaisance to make it interesting no matter where you are.  And once you leave the city, you're in the middle of rural PA, surrounded by beautiful mountains. 

If only I didn't have to leave...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #44 on: 11 Oct 2010, 23:58 »

Hey you, where do you live?

Fuck man, I dunno.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #45 on: 12 Oct 2010, 14:24 »

All I'm going to say is that Tyler once called my town quaint, and he was not being nice.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #46 on: 12 Oct 2010, 14:35 »

cambridge

It's not even 1/.2 of the year though?

But, yeah, I live there too now, but in this building:

Other Side

I didn't want to go to an old college.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #47 on: 12 Oct 2010, 14:57 »

I stay for the short vacations too, and then during summer last year I spent an extra month here renting in the suburbs, and then went off other places with uni people. Basically I am at or with uni all year round!

ETA: is living there like living in a glass box? I always feel like I am looking in on everyone's life when I go past, it must feel weird.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 12 Oct 2010, 15:52 »

curry incense, popcorn wine.

This is how I read that and was intrigued on both accounts.

That would be quite a combination!

And since people are posting photos of their universities, here's where I go to school:

We have an odd assortment of both classic and contemporary buildings.

Some of them, though, are actually quite neat and are made by famous architects, such as Michael Graves.

And Peter Eisenman.

And we have an awesome, olympic sized pool...

...in this building. (The large windows you see in the front is the aquatic center. The big grey part is a dorm and between is the rest of the rec center.)

So yeah, that's where I spend a lot of my time.

Van donk III

• Furry furrier
  • eyeballs.
    • DNKimage
« Reply #49 on: 12 Oct 2010, 16:22 »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up