THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 02:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey you, where do you live?  (Read 36343 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Re: Hey you, where do you live?
« Reply #100 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:47 »

I heard that there are certain pubs in Bracknell where if you do not support the right football team, aren't white, bald and haven't been drinking there for twenty five years literally the only way to leave is in an ambulance, via the window.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #101 on: 27 Oct 2010, 06:15 »

Hahah, that's a bit of an exaggeration, it's not that bad. It's not like it's up north or anything
That said I was once chased out of bracknell by the bracknell massive
It was basically a gang of about 30 children armed with bricks
I certainly wouldn't go there unless I had to

30 years ago it was a quaint village, then the town planners decided to turn it into a London commuter town, so it's basically a cockney Ghetto
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #102 on: 27 Oct 2010, 07:29 »

I take offence to that. The North isn't that rough!
That said, one of my friends got in a fight in a chippie in Wakefield - he got punched in the face so hard his jaw shattered (and had to have a metal rod put through it to keep his face from being wonky,) and he didn't even fall over.
He's honestly not even particularily tough. On the other hand, he has set himself on fire on multiple occassions as a party trick, so it might just be that he's a bit too thick for pain to work properly.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #103 on: 27 Oct 2010, 14:30 »

I live in the Gosforth area of Newcastle upon Tyne:

http://uk.maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=55.009361&lon=-1.62031&zoom=14&q1=Gosforth%2C%20Newcastle%20upon%20Tyne

It's close to the city (about 10 minutes by metro, southbound) and we have our own High Street (marked by Yahoo Maps).  Whilst our High Street is reasonable, the city centre as a lot more shops and bigger shopping centres.  Sainsbury's, a supermaket chain, lives in the shopping centre on the High Street.  Gosforth High Street doesn't have any clothes shops (outside of charity shops) nor does it have dedicated electronics shops (though the two supermarkets (see this paragraph and below) sell some).

To the immediate south of Gosforth we have Jemond (the posh part of the city) and we bordered by by Kenton, Fawdon and Benton (some of the cheaper areas of the city).

Church Road links the High Street to South Gosforth Metro Station.  Regent Centre Metro Station is on the High Street.  There are offices at Regent Centre, a largish Asda[1] the opposite side of the High Street.  Close to Regent Centre there is Gosforth Library and Gosforth Swimming pool.

Gosforth feels like a self-contained town until you find the houses don't stop when you go from one area to the next.

Here's a link to the Nexus (the people who run the metro.  The link to the map is on the right hand side (on top of the photograph).

And here's an image of South Gosforth Metro Station:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24759744@N02/3240472167/

[1] The chain was bought by Walmart a few years ago and experts say their businesses are "a good fit".
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2010, 14:49 by HiFranc »
Francisco

Snuffletrout

• Emoticontraindication
  • Umm... Yiharr?
« Reply #104 on: 27 Oct 2010, 14:35 »

Sweden at the moment, moved here about a year ago. But I've lived most of my life in worlds northernmost town, Hammerfest, in Norway. Its at 70 degrees north.  :-P

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #105 on: 27 Oct 2010, 15:49 »

I live in Hove, which is one part of the city of Brighton & Hove. It is the supposedly quieter, more respectable, tidier part of Brighton & Hove. The upshot of this is that there are more rich people and more Tory MPs. However it is very pretty and Hove cricket ground is the next road over from me. So, on hot summer days when reclining upon my balcony I can hear the genteel sound of cricket on the air.

Here are the beach huts:

Here is the beach:

Here is Hove park:

And here is the miniature railway in said park:

It is quite a nice place to live. However in an effort to kickstart my stalling career I am moving to East London in June.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #106 on: 27 Oct 2010, 16:46 »

That said I was once chased out of bracknell by the bracknell massive
It was basically a gang of about 30 children armed with bricks

More like Bricknell, am I right?

:mrgreen:
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #107 on: 28 Oct 2010, 12:53 »

On the other hand, he has set himself on fire on multiple occassions

Wait, Darryl actually hangs out with people?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #108 on: 28 Oct 2010, 13:13 »

(Who's Darryl?)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #109 on: 28 Oct 2010, 13:21 »

I hung out with Darrly! Jens and I bought him a fire extinguisher.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #110 on: 28 Oct 2010, 13:50 »

He showed up at Jon's birthday party in about 17 different t-shirts.

And over Skype.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #111 on: 28 Oct 2010, 14:32 »

I'm starting to feel a bit left out now. I'm not cool enough to know anyone on this board by name.  :-(

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #112 on: 28 Oct 2010, 14:48 »

It's less to do with coolness and more to do with whether or not you were here when there was a big spate of "what is your real name?" discussions, and whether you've met anyone. It's much easier to meet people who are in your own country, and Darrly and I happened to live in the same county for a while!

ETA: Wait. You seem to live in the same county. Yeah, you're right, you're just not cool enough :p
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #113 on: 28 Oct 2010, 15:00 »

Boy howdy, this is a new low.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #114 on: 28 Oct 2010, 15:07 »

I am (not really) beginning to wonder if Darrly is the same person as Darryl !
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #115 on: 28 Oct 2010, 15:09 »

I think it is probably an evil twin sort of situation.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #116 on: 28 Oct 2010, 15:12 »

Is your name Julian?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #117 on: 28 Oct 2010, 15:34 »

Darrly just can't spell his own name.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #118 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:57 »

Darrly has a goatee and wears leather trousers.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #119 on: 29 Oct 2010, 07:40 »

I am beginning to think that Darryl only comes out in the month of May and hibernates for the rest of the year.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #120 on: 29 Oct 2010, 10:24 »

nah, he just left the forum. he still shows up in meebo and on facebook though.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #121 on: 29 Oct 2010, 13:06 »

I live in Hove, which is one part of the city of Brighton & Hove.

I live in Brighton, which is the other part of the city of Brighton & Hove.

It is pretty similar, though we have more hippies and fewer tories - the area I live in voted in the UK's only Green Party MP in the last election, which was more of a token victory but made a lot of the residents feel quite pleased with themselves.

We have regular protests about Stuff and Things, and we have the annual zombie walk this Saturday (just after the March against Cuts, in which lots of people will get together to shout about the embarrassment that is our current government). The zombie walk often leads to headlines such as this:

We have two piers, but one of them used to get burned down quite a lot. At the moment, it is a shell of a pier which ends up in lots of pictures because it's cool.

However, some over-funded idealist has been given the go-ahead to tear the rest of it down and replace it with something which is best described as monument to penetrative encounters (sorry). Seriously. It is going to be a giant pole which will have a big doughnut full of tourists sliding up and down it. Brighton and Hove Council think that this will generate lots of money for the city as residents and tourists alike will be queueing up to ride the magic doughnut on a stick. Brighton and Hove Council are not always on the money when it comes to ideas.

We have loads of bars and clubs, but with all the financial mess of late, a lot of these have been shut down. We lost a benchmark toilet circuit venue this year (The Freebutt) despite lots of protests (this is a recurring theme - they happen all the time and make roughly no difference but they're pretty good as far as social events go).
However, we still have enough to go round, even if they are getting a lot less adventurous with the stuff they put on. The club I am playing at tomorrow is right on the seafront and looks like this:

As with most large built up areas, there is one part of town that should be avoided at all costs past about 7pm. It is called West Street, and every Friday and Saturday night, a riot van parks at the top of the road and waits for the drunks to come out of the bars and clubs and pick fights with strangers. There is often blood or glass or vomit on the street the following day. West Street doesn't deserve a picture.

Mostly, though, the Brighton + Hove area is awesome because of the beach. And the road I live on is also awesome as it has this at the bottom of it (but it is sadly not always covered in snow):

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #122 on: 29 Oct 2010, 15:04 »

I used to live in Brighton, foolishly I left :(
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

Aaden Foli

• Plantmonster
  • ...ladies.
    • Pixel Euphoria
« Reply #123 on: 03 Nov 2010, 20:25 »

I live in Canberra, Australia. It's pretty nice except for the fact that it's not. I like when I visit the bigger, or smaller, so long as they're better, places. Sydney, Melbourne, the coast, Albury etc...
Life is like fighting a dinosaur... it's really hard.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #124 on: 03 Nov 2010, 22:10 »

Northside or southside?

Aaden Foli

• Plantmonster
  • ...ladies.
    • Pixel Euphoria
« Reply #125 on: 03 Nov 2010, 22:18 »

Southside. Tuggers. I noticed you went to Bundah in another thread. Where you at? I've got some friends that went/go there now.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 03 Nov 2010, 22:49 »

I've been in Melbourne since 2004. All my Canberra friends moved here so I followed them. I grew up in Yarralumla (my parents bought into the suburb in the 70s when nobody wanted to live there and the houses weren't worth anything.)

I can understand why you'd be sick of living in Tuggeranong.

Aaden Foli

• Plantmonster
  • ...ladies.
    • Pixel Euphoria
« Reply #127 on: 03 Nov 2010, 22:58 »

Eh, to be fair I spend more time in Queanbeyan, seeing as that's where I used to live, and nearly all my friends live. But Tuggers is just lame. Civic and Woden are alright.

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #128 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:05 »

are... are those real names of places?! australia is blowing my mind right now!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #129 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:13 »

Ask Jodie where she lives (or used to live? Can't remember. Anyway it sounds like a marshmallow treat.)

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #130 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:13 »

She lives in Toowoomba! I can't remember where she used to live, though. My favourite name of an Australian town is Galaganbone.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Snuffletrout

• Emoticontraindication
  • Umm... Yiharr?
« Reply #131 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:17 »

Hammerfest :)

With Aurora Borealis

We also have a great Liquid Natural Gas resource right outside the city. Sometimes they burn off excess materials, making a huge flame which lights up the whole city for a few weeks. Its really nice when you walk home drunk in the middle of the night, as we have the dark months up there, where we don't have any sun at all for a few months. (and likewise, we have the midnight sun in summer.)

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #132 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:17 »

are... are those real names of places?! australia is blowing my mind right now!

"Tuggers" is a typically Australian shortening of the name Tuggeranong. As for the others, two of my favourite things about Canberra are that (A) the inhabitants still insist on calling the nominal city centre "Civic" even though local governments keep trying to get people to call it the City; and (B) yes, one of Canberra's town centres is called, for absolutely no apparent reason, Woden. (It's nowhere near as awesome as a place named after a Norse god ought to be.)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #133 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:21 »

Ah yes, Tuggeranong, that common name for towns.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #134 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:47 »

There's also Indooroopilly, Wooloomaloo, Parramatta, Bulli, Woolongong, Turramurra, Tamarama, Coogee, Dubbo and Wodonga.

There's less interesting place names like Ashfield, Summer Hill and Strathfield.

There's places named after British locations (obivously), like Penrith or Kensington.

There's also middle of nowhere towns with American names like Las Vegas, Houston and oddly, Toronto (a town with one street and a run down petrol station.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #135 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:53 »

Toronto is actually a relatively large suburb on Lake Macquarie.
My favourite is driving past Beverly Hills on the freeway up the coast.

The majority of these weird names are the traditional Aboriginal names for them, so it's not so weird I guess?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #136 on: 04 Nov 2010, 04:58 »

So far I dislike anywhere in Australia that isn't Sydney. Specifically the inner-west region. Even more specifically Newtown/Enmore.

Edit:
Toronto is actually a relatively large suburb on Lake Macquarie.
My favourite is driving past Beverly Hills on the freeway up the coast.

The majority of these weird names are the traditional Aboriginal names for them, so it's not so weird I guess?

Thanks for making us all sound like racist douchebags.

Also as a sidenote, Ingelise and I confirmed our position as horrible city-people by spending a large part of the drive down to Melbourne mocking the town names of basically everywhere we passed.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2010, 05:03 by Jimmy the Squid »
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #137 on: 04 Nov 2010, 05:04 »

It's okay, Tommy, I think I know more about American geography and history than I do Australia. It's because we get it rammed into our eyeballs and earholes through popular culture.

Snuffletrout

• Emoticontraindication
  • Umm... Yiharr?
« Reply #138 on: 04 Nov 2010, 05:04 »

I liked everywhere I went in Australia. Although I don't think Ive seen as many bugs in my life as at the hotel in Alice Springs  :laugh: Port Douglas was pretty nice, and Sydney was awesome except for a sadist waiter serving me vegemite for breakfast and declaring it "yummy". My tiny trust was betrayed.

Aaden Foli

• Plantmonster
  • ...ladies.
    • Pixel Euphoria
« Reply #139 on: 04 Nov 2010, 05:06 »

There's also Indooroopilly, Wooloomaloo, Parramatta, Bulli, Woolongong, Turramurra, Tamarama, Coogee, Dubbo and Wodonga.

There's less interesting place names like Ashfield, Summer Hill and Strathfield.

There's places named after British locations (obivously), like Penrith or Kensington.

There's also middle of nowhere towns with American names like Las Vegas, Houston and oddly, Toronto (a town with one street and a run down petrol station.

To be fair I only know of Paramatta, Woolongong, Coogee, Dubbo, Wodonga, Strathfield and Penrith out of those.

You know, we really do have some funny names.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #140 on: 04 Nov 2010, 10:18 »

Also, Canadian (usually Inuit or other First Nations-derived) place names are as, if not more, funny that Australian place names. There's Kamloops, Mississauga, Shuswaps, Medicine Hat, Flin Flon, Banff, Wawa, Okotoks, hell even Ottawa is a pretty funny name when you think about it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #141 on: 04 Nov 2010, 10:37 »

I have a feeling Banff is also in Scotland.

Yeah, just looked it up - it's named after the Banff in Scotland, the director of the Canadian Pacific Railway named it after his birthplace. How sweet.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #142 on: 04 Nov 2010, 10:42 »

I'll make a good post on this when I have more time.

But seriously, Nova Scotia rocks silly names

Tatamagouche
Pugwash
Merigomish Harbour
Shubenacadie
Wagmatcook
Whycocomagh
Pomquet and Afton
Wildcat
Guysborough
Pockwock
Pembroke
Passchendaele
Cheticamp
Miramichi
Musquodoboit Harbour
Nictaux
Yankeetown
Fauxburg
Weymouth

Like, come on, these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Do you know how unfair it is to grow up in this province and try and be 6 years old and list town names?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #143 on: 04 Nov 2010, 10:59 »

Pembroke and Weymouth are old family names and a seaside town, respectively, here. It is really odd how names get used over and over across the world.

Also Passchendaele is a famous duplicate.

Moral: humans are not great at coming up with new names.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #144 on: 04 Nov 2010, 12:13 »

I was really proud (no, I don't know why either) when I found out that Perth, Western Australia is the page Wikipedia goes to first when you type just "Perth" into the search bar. There's also Perth in Scotland, Perth in New Jersey, and

Perth in Ontario!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #145 on: 04 Nov 2010, 13:33 »

One time when I went to the US I went to Schenectady.  Come on.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #146 on: 04 Nov 2010, 16:52 »

We are pretty bad at naming things. On the drive down to Melbourne we crossed a lot of creeks all of which had names. Most of them were "8 Mile Creek", "One Mile Creek", Four Mile Creek etc...

GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #147 on: 05 Nov 2010, 09:34 »

New Jersey also has a Perth Amboy, Dovey.

Ben, I'm about an hour away from Schenectady. A lot of Upstate New York has towns that came out of Dutch ancestry. See also: Watervliet, Ganesvoort, Fishkill.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2010, 09:38 by valley_parade »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #148 on: 05 Nov 2010, 11:14 »

That was the one I was referring to, it just made it easier to have them all as Perths. I think .

EDIT: All the Perths

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #149 on: 05 Nov 2010, 23:13 »

We are pretty bad at naming things. On the drive down to Melbourne we crossed a lot of creeks all of which had names. Most of them were "8 Mile Creek", "One Mile Creek", Four Mile Creek etc...

I remember when I caught a train in Russia it passed through a whole lot of places which basically just seemed to be stops named after their distance in kilometres from St. Petersburg.

Earlier on that same trip I had the pleasure of travelling on a train through Middelfart, Denmark. ("Fart" means "passage" in Nordic languages - well Danish and Swedish anyway, in my experience, so I'd assume they've got the same word or a similar word in Norwegian - and Middelfart is a town in central Denmark that's pretty much unavoidable if you're travelling along the east/west corridor in that country.)

I think my favourite place name, though, is Westward Ho!. Yes, the exclamation mark is part of the name. I like to think that if they were naming the place nowadays, it'd be called something like Let's Go West, Fuck Yeah!
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2010, 23:16 by Inlander »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up