THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 04:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banned from the UStream? Oy Vey!  (Read 5819 times)

jordinyc

• Balloon animal serial killer
Banned from the UStream? Oy Vey!
« on: 30 Sep 2010, 21:31 »

Please forgive me if this all seems a bit whiny. Also I apologize to any CRASS fans who probably got a headache from the above joke.

To be clear:
I CAN access the UStream just fine. However I cannot access the chat, but ONLY from my home internet connection. If I use my mobile phone via USB cable to go on the internet, I can go on the chat just fine, but using my cable internet is a bust.

Here's what I see when I try to do so:

Looks like a technical glitch right? Well, one of the people in chat gave me the address to the IRC server that the UStream uses for the chat (and some people use instead of the web page itself). I downloaded good old mIRC, connected to the server, looked up the chat by name "QC SHOW" and this happened:

Still think it's a Flash issue? I mentioned this to the guys in the chat yesterday and today, and they all said it's probably something that happened automatically on the server side, and that Jeph rarely bans people. The fact that I CAN log on from elsewhere and haven't been kicked while our Toto playing friend was online tells me he probably didn't lay the hammer down on yours truly himself.

So I looked on the UStream page, but there doesn't seem to be any support personnel to contact, only sales, billing, taxedermy, etc. They simply direct you to their "support center" which is just a knowledge base that's small enough to make most FAQ pages look like books.

I'm probably going to just go to Time Warner and ask for another cable modem, but do you think there's anything else I could do? or SHOULD do?

Also, in case I'm wrong, and I HAVE been a pain in the ass or offended anyone, I sincerely apologize. I like to believe that I think of how my words effect others when online and in person before hitting Enter, however if my real life persona is any indication, I've probably screwed up on line too. I'm pretty sensitive myself and I hate to think I made anyone feel as bad as I do when accused or insulted.

Holy freaking crap is this thing full of TL;DR or what? Anyway, if anyone can possibly offer suggestions or insight (incl but not ltd to "well you did call ____ a f____t that one time"), I'd be much obliged.

Thanks.

j

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: Banned from the UStream? Oy Vey!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2010, 22:52 »

fucked if i know, dude. you're one of the generally-decent folks on there.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2010, 22:54 »

Probably why he got banned
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2010, 23:09 »

I use DSL myself, and I know it uses dynamic addressing - my address is retrieved each time I reconnect to the internet, and I believe it's different each time.  You may want to try disconnecting and reconnecting, to see if the IP address changes.  You might have rotated through to the address of a previously banned asshole. 

Then again, I may be full of it, or cable providers may use static addressing.  It's worth a try, though! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2010, 22:51 »

You might have rotated through to the address of a previously banned asshole.

Yep.

I'm not sure if Ustream's IRC chat backend bans globally or per channel, but this is most likely the problem. Power cycle your router to see if your ISP assigns you a new external IP.

Most ISPs leave your IP address up to DHCP since it's much cheaper and easier for them to manage on their end. As far as I know you have to specifically request (and pay extra for) a static address.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #5 on: 05 Oct 2010, 04:44 »

For Time Warner, go into your wireless router, change the WAN MAC address, unplug the cable modem from power, reboot the router, and once it's booted, plug in the modem. Then, change the WAN MAC address back to what it was before, and do it again.

This will get you a new IP address (twice, actually, but...)

Sounds like, for whatever reason, your IP changed to the IP of someone who had previously abused UStream's IRC network or the channel. Alternately, your machine is a zombie in someone's botnet, and is attempting to use UStream's IRC network for botnet communication, in which case you should scan for malware and consider reformatting.

Also, jeph, you might check the banlist on the channel, that message doesn't look like it's a server ban, but rather a channel ban.
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2010, 04:46 by bhtooefr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up