HERP. DERP. HAAAHAAHAHAHAHAAAA
- 16 (27.6%)
Hee hee! I'm not even WEARING pants!
- 6 (10.3%)
Chaste Hugs!
- 3 (5.2%)
Can't you just be happy for me?
- 1 (1.7%)
She DID consider grabbing his butt one time.
- 8 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly Comic Thread 4-8 October 2010 (1766-70)  (Read 55771 times)

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
Re: Weekly Comic Thread 4-8 October 2010
« Reply #100 on: 06 Oct 2010, 10:42 »

So Jeph said he had to do two versions of the stars, one for print quality....

There's a print quality version of all strips? Where are those?

((Pssst: - he's saving those for the books, of course!))
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #101 on: 06 Oct 2010, 10:57 »

How did they stop being friends?  (Pre Gina hookup obviously)
The movies together stopped. We never saw the hanging out together after the affair started. Faye actively refused to bring Sven to social events.

@Dliessmgg,

Hannelore went to school with other children from at least the eighth grade on. She's been in therapy since she was 11 and there apparently weren't any useful therapists in orbit, so she must have been planetside. I'm too lazy to look up links, but they're on her wiki page.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #102 on: 06 Oct 2010, 15:32 »

The movies together stopped. We never saw the hanging out together after the affair started. Faye actively refused to bring Sven to social events.

That wasn't Sven's doing, it was Faye's. Sven invited her out to the movies and to do something else a few times, she always shot him down. That wasn't his inability to be friendly with a woman he was having sex with, that was Faye's discomfort with the possibility of Sven being anything but a warmblooded sexbot for her use. I still feel her behavior was extremely dehumanizing and belittling there.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #103 on: 06 Oct 2010, 15:59 »

I think both Sven and Faye share the blame for how their whatever-it-was turned out.

Remember, Faye called Sven that one time for dinner and hanging out and he blew her off except for the sex, so neither of them are innocent when it comes to ruining the friendship.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #104 on: 06 Oct 2010, 16:02 »

Back when I was younger, I believe it was called a "relationship".
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

amandathehunter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 06 Oct 2010, 16:02 »

That wasn't Sven's doing, it was Faye's. Sven invited her out to the movies and to do something else a few times, she always shot him down. That wasn't his inability to be friendly with a woman he was having sex with, that was Faye's discomfort with the possibility of Sven being anything but a warmblooded sexbot for her use. I still feel her behavior was extremely dehumanizing and belittling there.

What's dehumanizing and belittling is assuming that she wouldn't be hurt by the situation, and should act like nothing's wrong. For someone who is traumatized like Faye, trusting men is a big deal. She opened up, and got hurt. BADLY. Expecting her to continue to hang out with him and act like nothing is wrong is pouring salt in the wound she feels, and acting like her feelings don't matter.

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #106 on: 06 Oct 2010, 17:01 »

The benefit to Hanners is less clear. In Marten, she's already got a good male friend who will give her straight answers to awkward questions.
The difference is that Marten would probably tend to act protective toward Hannelore (if only by him channeling the protective nature of Faye and Dora toward her), whereas I can see Sven encouraging Hannelore to make bold moves in advancing her personal interactions and potentially seeking real dates.

akronnick

« Reply #107 on: 06 Oct 2010, 17:41 »

Yeah, but when you were young, it was more like "Ye Olde Re-lationnshippe!"

:evil: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :evil:

:angel:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #108 on: 06 Oct 2010, 19:02 »

What's dehumanizing and belittling is assuming that she wouldn't be hurt by the situation, and should act like nothing's wrong. For someone who is traumatized like Faye, trusting men is a big deal. She opened up, and got hurt. BADLY. Expecting her to continue to hang out with him and act like nothing is wrong is pouring salt in the wound she feels, and acting like her feelings don't matter.

Personally, I think a relationship with Angus will help her get over that. Of course, if she knew of how much Sven was suffering, it'd be even more helpful... ;)

Yeah, but when you were young, it was more like "Ye Olde Re-lationnshippe!"

:evil: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :evil:

:angel:

Better watch it, you whippersnapper. You're not too old for me to take you over my knee.  :-P 8-)
Just another Joe like 46

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #109 on: 06 Oct 2010, 19:59 »

Better watch it, you whippersnapper. You're not too old for me to take you over my knee.  :-P 8-)

Rule 34 lives on!
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #110 on: 06 Oct 2010, 20:36 »

that is the best Hanners Jeph has ever drawn right there in the second-to-last panel.

Almost makes up for the WTF in yesterdays comic.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Ravenswing

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Iconoclast
    • Apotheosis of the Invisible City
« Reply #111 on: 06 Oct 2010, 21:10 »

What's REALLY belittling is the constant premise that Sven Did Faye Wrong.

Just once, I'd like Sven to be in earshot for one of her ZOMG He's Going To SEDUCE YOU!!!!! rants and be just POed enough to spill out what really happened - that SHE was the aggressor, that he made it clear the level their relationship was on, that he didn't make her a single promise he didn't keep, and that he never once conned her.

The degree to which Faye was "hurt" is 100% self-inflicted.  She claimed to want nothing more of him but to be fuckbuddies.  She didn't even demand that he be monogamous; she just simply stated that she wasn't going to be sexually involved with him if he wasn't, and stuck to her guns.  She had opportunity to change the deal, and didn't.  Regardless of the reasons she kept her mouth shut, none of that is on Sven, and to revile him now because her pride's been stung is manipulative, petty, revisionist and childish.

Sven isn't the guarantor of her feelings.  What he has done, though, is keep his mouth shut and take all the heat from the social circle on himself.  I wouldn't have been a tenth as noble as all of that; I would have asked her, loudly and in front of Marten, Dora and her friends, "Did I ever make a pass at you before we started sleeping together, yes or no?" "Who made the first move, you or me?" "Who said explicitly we had a no-strings attached, sexual relationship, you or me?"

And THAT being said, I'd purely love for some gal to respond to the ZOMG He's Going To SEDUCE YOU!!!!! rant with "So what if he does?  He's cute, I like sex, and I'm a big girl who can decide these things for myself, thank you ever so.  What are you, stuck in a 19th century romance novel?"
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't AGREE with what you're saying.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #112 on: 06 Oct 2010, 21:13 »

"Looks pretty chaste, yeah."

FTW. :)
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #113 on: 06 Oct 2010, 21:14 »

When you wish upon a star, you get:

To see your father's space station falling to earth.    - 5 (8.9%)
Your OCD magically disappears!    - 3 (5.4%)
Your Sex Addiction magically disappears!    - 4 (7.1%)
Nothing. It's just a meteorite burning up in the atmosphere.    - 16 (28.6%)
Another year older.    - 4 (7.1%; You guys DID NOT GET THE HINT.)
Herp.    - 13 (23.2%)
Derp.    - 5 (8.9%)
UBMEOD.    - 3 (5.4%)
USHMEOB.    - 3 (5.4%)

Total Voters: 56
Just another Joe like 46

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #114 on: 06 Oct 2010, 21:25 »

Wow, strip is up early. I see there is cause.

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #115 on: 06 Oct 2010, 22:51 »

Why is that Dora's first reaction? Hannelore hugging anyone ought to be the first sign of the Apocalypse to anyone who knows her...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #116 on: 06 Oct 2010, 22:57 »

It's the end of the world - Hanners hugged someone!!!!!!!

Mind you, with the kind of surveillance that Sven is under, if he tries anything it'll just be the end of Sven.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #117 on: 07 Oct 2010, 00:11 »

For comic #1769...

1. Another good ender for the Hannelore + Sven pretend-date, if Wednesday's #1768 was not the ender.  Panel #4 definitely was another "D'Aww...!" moment. Guess Friday's #1770 will be the epilogue end-comic for the week to cap this story-arc?

2. Panel #2, I was also not surprised that Sven's line went right over Hanners' head (again), which of course makes it funny (again) :wink: .

3. Kugai & Steve the Pocket: Hannelore not just hugged, but hugged in a socially appropriate manner! (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1709)  Next up, the Taco Bell Apocalypse!

4. As I said before, the one who has benefited most from this pretend-date is Sven.  I think Hanners has managed to put a few surprises on him, just as he has provided a positive social experience for her :-) .

5. Heh, the two people most concerned over this pretend-date, probably for different reasons.   Should be interesting to see their reactions to both Hannelore and Sven, respectively.

6. I think it would have been funnier if Pintsize had said "Grab his ass!  GRAB HIS ASS!"  But either gag works.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #118 on: 07 Oct 2010, 00:18 »

It's the end of the world - Hanners hugged someone!!!!!!!

Look again - the only contact surface is the hoodie that she was just wearing (a miracle in and of itself), but it's a "safe" hug for Hanners.  Probably more cleanly than the handshake he was offering.  

Then again, she's also genuinely thanking someone for an actual good time.  Though not without it's awkward moments, the date was probably as close to a normal social experiance as she's ever had (one-on-one, at least - not counting parties, work or get-togethers).  We're talking sledding-down-the-hill quality.  It's an emotional moment for her, and she succumbs.  Chastely and safely.  

Beats jumping into his arms... OR grabbing his ass. 

But lord, her face in that hug has me tearing up.  Tergon's right, Jeph's really outdoing himself.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

steveh11

• Plantmonster
    • steveh11's story page
« Reply #119 on: 07 Oct 2010, 01:02 »

Today's strip was wonderful, but to my mind the funniest thing was Christi's newspost:
Jeph is off in Canada participating in a bachelor party, and hopefully not getting arrested. Enjoy the comic!

allied with Jeph's current Twitter post: (http://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/26626305236)
I got the "pity lapdance" #obviouslymarried #orjustrepellent
- which had me giggling and offering explanations 'cos I'm at work...
"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #120 on: 07 Oct 2010, 01:27 »

Hanners hugs without heftily hyperventilating? Character development.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #121 on: 07 Oct 2010, 02:00 »

Guys, she hugged before.

Too lazy to look it up, but it was Marten.
Carpe Diem

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #122 on: 07 Oct 2010, 02:18 »

Sven isn't the guarantor of her feelings.  What he has done, though, is keep his mouth shut and take all the heat from the social circle on himself.  I wouldn't have been a tenth as noble as all of that; I would have asked her, loudly and in front of Marten, Dora and her friends, "Did I ever make a pass at you before we started sleeping together, yes or no?" "Who made the first move, you or me?" "Who said explicitly we had a no-strings attached, sexual relationship, you or me?"
Hmmm... Except that Sven knew that sleeping with Gina Riversmith was a bad move even as he did it, and then planned to conceal what he'd done from Faye, because he knew it would hurt her to know. So Sven plainly didn't buy the idea that his relationship with Faye was no-strings-attached. He knew his behaviour would hurt her, but did it anyway. Pretty douchey in my book. HOWEVER, the fact that he does accept that he stepped over the line, and does cop the shit he's earned without complaining much, might suggest there is after all a mensch buried somewhere in Sven trying to get out. Hanners sees it.

The facial expressions in the last panel of today's strip are marvellous. Especially Dora's "Shit! Is it a chaste hug?" face.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #123 on: 07 Oct 2010, 02:21 »

I presume that's the American use of "pants" (meaning trousers) in panel 2.

Because here in the UK, pants are underwear, and it would be unusually forward of Hanners to have told Sven she went commando on the date.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #124 on: 07 Oct 2010, 04:24 »

Yes, it is the "American" use of the word pants. Despite the current status of the author, this comic IS based in the USA.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #125 on: 07 Oct 2010, 04:39 »

Because the Americans like the Canadians on top.

I wonder if Jeph's going to try and pull a Jimbo?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Ravenswing

• Iconoclast
    • Apotheosis of the Invisible City
« Reply #126 on: 07 Oct 2010, 04:40 »

Hmmm... Except that Sven knew that sleeping with Gina Riversmith was a bad move even as he did it, and then planned to conceal what he'd done from Faye, because he knew it would hurt her to know. So Sven plainly didn't buy the idea that his relationship with Faye was no-strings-attached. He knew his behaviour would hurt her, but did it anyway. Pretty douchey in my book.
He knew that it'd mean the fling with Faye would be over if he blabbed, sure.  Inferring from there that he was aware her feelings for him went deeper is a stretch.  What he did do was be honest with Faye, which is more than he's had from her.

That aside, I know that "OMG Faye has issues" seems to get her a free pass for all manner of behavior, but leaving aside that it's high time to stop blaming her father for her own actions - which, to her credit, she's been doing over the course of the strip - who's to say that Sven doesn't have his own issues?
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't AGREE with what you're saying.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #127 on: 07 Oct 2010, 04:47 »

Hmmm... Except that Sven knew that sleeping with Gina Riversmith was a bad move even as he did it, and then planned to conceal what he'd done from Faye, because he knew it would hurt her to know. So Sven plainly didn't buy the idea that his relationship with Faye was no-strings-attached. He knew his behaviour would hurt her, but did it anyway. Pretty douchey in my book. HOWEVER, the fact that he does accept that he stepped over the line, and does cop the shit he's earned without complaining much, might suggest there is after all a mensch buried somewhere in Sven trying to get out. Hanners sees it.

Good points, but still, I do agree with Ravenswing in one important aspect:  all characters in the comic basically responded to this with "Faye is an innocent victim, Sven is a seducing assbutt who broke her heart."  And that's just not the case.  Faye did shoot down anything she interpreted as flirting from Sven early on, Faye did seek out his company later when it seemed he wasn't too bothered either way, Faye did initiate the sexual relationship after they went out for karaoke, Faye did make it only a "Friends with benefits" scenario afterwards, Faye did refuse to make any effort to develop an emotional attachment with Sven, and at the end, Faye did develop an emotional attachment and walked off in tears because of it.
Sven, on the other hand, got drunk and made a stupid mistake that he obviously deeply regrets.  He acted exactly how he said he was wont to act, and exactly as everyone clearly expected him to act.  Even Faye herself, in the midst of the post-breakup depression, noticed that.

Is Sven an arsehole who did something he knew would hurt Faye?  Yes.
Did he make it worse by not planning to tell her?  Yes.
So is Faye therefore completely innocent and well-meaning here?  Very, very no.

Sven does not deserve all the blame for what happened between him and Faye.  Hell, I'd say he doesn't even deserve the majority of it.  He did a shitty thing, after a long list of shitty things that Faye did to him first.  And, in complete agreement with others above me, I would deeply enjoy seeing Sven finally snap and tell Faye as much the next time that the CoD gang (inevitably) start their next "Sven Is An Assbutt" lecture.  Much as I love Faye, she deserves it.  A little wake-up on that score would be healthy for Sven and might even help her get past her Bitch Persona she's been shedding over the last few hundred comics.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #128 on: 07 Oct 2010, 06:34 »

He knew that it'd mean the fling with Faye would be over if he blabbed, sure.  Inferring from there that he was aware her feelings for him went deeper is a stretch.  What he did do was be honest with Faye, which is more than he's had from her.
Sven specifically says that Faye would be happier not knowing he'd slept with Riversmith. Why, if he really believed her feelings were not involved? He also said he was OK with being a liar, and only came clean because his intern threatened to dob him in if he didn't. That's not really honesty, at least in my book, merely damage control. I'm not saying Faye's an innocent victim here mind you, and she was warned that Sven was a douchey player before she ever hooked up with him. Play with fire, get burned.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #129 on: 07 Oct 2010, 07:16 »

Play with a lion, get burned.

FYP

Shok Xone Studios

• Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #130 on: 07 Oct 2010, 07:23 »

Hannelore giving someone a hug? Quick, someone take a picture, they'll never prove it happened otherwise!
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #131 on: 07 Oct 2010, 07:45 »

Pintsize = Awesome.  I forget how much sometimes.
 :evil:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #132 on: 07 Oct 2010, 08:19 »

...This should probably be in a separate 'Defending Sven' thread...   and I apologize for the strident tone; (I should probably delete it as an unnecessary rant.)

The degree to which Faye was "hurt" is 100% self-inflicted.  

and to revile him now because her pride's been stung is manipulative, petty, revisionist and childish.
Articulate!

Quote from: Akima
Sven specifically says that Faye would be happier not knowing he'd slept with Riversmith. Why, if he really believed her feelings were not involved? He also said he was OK with being a liar,

She WOULD have been happier not knowing, and I can see his 'lying by omission' as partly a desire to protect her feelings.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010, 09:41 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #133 on: 07 Oct 2010, 09:23 »

As most people have pointed out there's plenty of blame to go round in the Faye/Sven relationship implosion - both sides are to blame for the situation as it developed, and how it ended.  Neither is blameless, and neither is innocent.

The argument over who is more to blame than the other is pointless.  Especially since Sven's apologized to Faye and Faye's accepted.  

Faye's reaction to the "pretend date" is understandable as a friend not wanting to see her friend have to deal with more than she may be ready for, given Sven's "pre-Faye" behaviour and the lack of visible change in Sven "post-Faye".

It is hard to forgive what we percieve as a harm done to us - or to accept that an actual change has occurred.  As two large scale examples, the first deployments of Japanese and German soldiers outside their national borders on military missions were accompanied by lots of hand wringing and fears that these two countries' actions during WWII might recur - then though both countries have had massive cultural shifts post-WWII and the soldiers deployed are 2 generations removed from any atrocities.  I'm prediciting that Sven would probably need to get married and be perfectly faithful til his silver anniversary before people would stop commenting on his former philandering ways.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010, 09:30 by Border Reiver »
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #134 on: 07 Oct 2010, 10:38 »

Jeph said here once, I'm too lazy to look up the reference, that he's never written an argument where one character was totally right and the other totally wrong.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

amandathehunter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #135 on: 07 Oct 2010, 10:46 »

Go back over my response, you'll notice that i didn't say ANYWHERE that it was sven's fault. All I said was that she trusted him and got hurt.

Just once, I'd like Sven to be in earshot for one of her ZOMG He's Going To SEDUCE YOU!!!!! rants and be just POed enough to spill out what really happened - that SHE was the aggressor, that he made it clear the level their relationship was on, that he didn't make her a single promise he didn't keep, and that he never once conned her.

Well, before they began their little sex escapade, he was the type who tried to seduce anything with a pulse and a vagina. She hasn't spent a lot of time around him since.

The degree to which Faye was "hurt" is 100% self-inflicted.  She claimed to want nothing more of him but to be fuckbuddies.  She didn't even demand that he be monogamous; she just simply stated that she wasn't going to be sexually involved with him if he wasn't, and stuck to her guns.  She had opportunity to change the deal, and didn't.  Regardless of the reasons she kept her mouth shut, none of that is on Sven, and to revile him now because her pride's been stung is manipulative, petty, revisionist and childish.

I am aware that her hurt is self inflicted, and I didn't say that I 'reviled' Sven. I am aware that the situation is of her own making, that doesn't change her feelings in regards to it.

And this is a large part of WHY I like sven as a character. He is being compassionate and adult. The way you say you would behave in that situation is extremely juvenile, and reminiscent of middle-school 'he said she said' idiocy.

And THAT being said, I'd purely love for some gal to respond to the ZOMG He's Going To SEDUCE YOU!!!!! rant with "So what if he does?  He's cute, I like sex, and I'm a big girl who can decide these things for myself, thank you ever so.  What are you, stuck in a 19th century romance novel?"

And if one of the female characters felt that way, she'd get a high five and a thumbs up from me.

You're arguements repeatedly assume that I mean things I'm not saying. What I said is "Faye is hurt." I am not talking about HOW she got hurt, I am talking about the fact that she IS HURT. You throw around accusations, as if implying that Faye should pretend not to be hurt, because she made the bed she's lying in. That is insane. I'm not saying that everyone should have a big pity-party for Faye, I'm not saying that Sven did anything wrong. What I'm saying is that Faye is hurt, and acting in an understandable manner for someone who is in emotional pain.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #136 on: 07 Oct 2010, 13:41 »

Despite the current status of the author, this comic IS based in the USA.

Well, yes, I was aware of that. OK, let me re-phrase my post.

When I first read today's comic I was "OMG Hanners went on a date with no knickers!?!?!" It was only later that I remembered that after you fled our shores, you Yanks thought it would be a good idea to fuck up the language.  :angel:

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #137 on: 07 Oct 2010, 13:52 »

<snip> sex escapade, </snip>

Instead: sexcapade.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010, 13:54 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #138 on: 07 Oct 2010, 13:57 »

It was only later that I remembered that after you fled our shores, you Yanks thought it would be a good idea to fuck up the language.

Actually, they stuck with the old-fashioned words when we got all modern and European!  Fall/Autumn is a good example, but there are many others - indeed, Pants itself is one (short for Pantaloons, originally women's baggy trousers, then men's breeches).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #139 on: 07 Oct 2010, 14:45 »

When I first read today's comic I was "OMG Hanners went on a date with no knickers!?!?!" It was only later that I remembered that after you fled our shores, you Yanks thought it would be a good idea to fuck up the language.  :angel:
Speaking as an ESL outsider :angel:, I can't tell whose version of English is more fucked up: Aussie, Pommie, Canajun eh, or USAnian. They all seem pretty wacky to me. I too had a momentary mental hiccup (hiccough? See what I mean?) on reading Hanners' comment/joke, but only for a moment because girl's trousers are commonly called pants even in Commonwealth English, and our underwear panties (does anyone apart from Benny Hill still talk about knickers, unless they're in a twist?). The nice thing about English-speakers in general (the occasional xenophobic arsehole* notwithstanding) is that they're pretty good-humoured about variant forms and slightly dodgy grammar.

*And believe me, the Chinese-speaking world is riddled with regional and linguistic snobbery too.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #140 on: 07 Oct 2010, 15:21 »

(does anyone apart from Benny Hill still talk about knickers, unless they're in a twist?).
Since Google shows "About 112,000 results" for "knickers" in the last 24 hours alone, I guess that yes, they do!

Getting ridiculously off-topic now, but Noah Webster deliberately made extensive changes to the English language for political and philosophical reasons.
He complained that the English language had been corrupted by the British aristocracy, which set its own standard for proper spelling and pronunciation. ... The appropriate standard for the American language, argued Webster, was, "the same republican principles as American civil and ecclesiastical constitutions", which meant that the people-at-large must control the language; popular sovereignty in government must be accompanied by popular usage in language.

Not blaming Webster for these, but an ass is a donkey, not a bum. A bum is not a tramp. And tramps can be found sleeping on the pavement, not the sidewalk. "Separated by a common language", indeed.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2010, 15:29 by Binary »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #141 on: 07 Oct 2010, 15:28 »

Yeah, Webster was a hypocrite. If he really wanted the people to dictate the use of the language, he would have just stopped there and not fucking told people they needed to change the way they used their own bloody language.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

akronnick

« Reply #142 on: 07 Oct 2010, 16:28 »

[snip]
...It was only later that I remembered that after you fled our shores, you Yanks thought it would be a good idea to reform the language so that it actually makes sense and so certain words would be spelled correctly .  :angel:

:evil: FTFY  :evil:

"Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #143 on: 07 Oct 2010, 18:22 »

Is this Reductio Ad Anglosaxonum?
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #144 on: 07 Oct 2010, 18:56 »

No, I think it's a plain ol' argument. 

("No, it isn't!")

akronnick

« Reply #145 on: 07 Oct 2010, 20:26 »

todays poll

We find a use for the UBMEOD!

NEVER!!! That would completely negate the entire purpose of the UBMEOD!!!

And anyone (else) who points out the absurdity of a Useless dick-broom having a purpose gets sprayed with the Useless Fire Extinguisher Made Entirely Of Kidneys!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #146 on: 07 Oct 2010, 23:03 »

Chaste Hugs? What Next?

Faye is polite to a customer!    - 4 (7.5%)
Cosette actually goes a day without destroying anything!    - 5 (9.4%)
Marigold goes out on a date!    - 5 (9.4%)
Pintsize acts civil!    - 2 (3.8%)
Dora doesn't have a crazy bitch moment!    - 19 (35.8%)
Hannelore goes to Taco Bell!    - 6 (11.3%)
We find a use for the UBMEOD!    - 2 (3.8%)
Roy Halladay throws a no hitter!    - 4 (7.5%)
Deathmole hits #1 on the pop charts!    - 6 (11.3%)

Total Voters: 53
Just another Joe like 46

dsvella

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #147 on: 07 Oct 2010, 23:52 »

From seeing today's comic about chaste hugs i couldn't help but remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Oj0-splZw
If Jeph ever draws full-on nudity or god help us all explicit sex, the forums will explode in a sticky, faintly bleach-smelling manner.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #148 on: 08 Oct 2010, 01:01 »

Hannelore: assertive without going into Beatrice mode. Healthy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Promethean Sky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #149 on: 08 Oct 2010, 01:01 »

Marten is a man who is comfortable with his sexuality. We should all live by his example.
Well I thought it was funny.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up