THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ITT: I suck at job hunting, do you?  (Read 13360 times)

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
Re: ITT: I suck at job hunting, do you?
« Reply #100 on: 14 Aug 2010, 05:25 »

The interview I had Thursday has come back and asked me for a writing sample.  That's pretty typical when a substantial part of what you do is write for a living, but they've asked for an unusually large one.   Ok, whatever.  The in-house recruiter said that the feedback from the interview panel was very positive, and that's a good sign, though they do have a few more interviews to do.

The interview I went to yesterday I was expecting to be awful and it wasn't.  In fact, it was very much not what I expected.  The last guy I talked to walked me out the door and confirmed my email address with a promise of I'd be hearing from him soon, then the first guy I talked to called me 30 minutes later to ask me how much I wanted and when can I start? Also with a promise of I'd be hearing from him next week...

Having been on the interviewer end of several dozen of these things, I understand that all of what I might be taking as good signs may just be procedure.  With both of these last two, I never got a vibe that I was the wrong guy, whereas all of the previous ones I had anything from an inkling to a pretty good certainty I wasn't the right fit before the interview was over.   So I'm really hoping to have the problem of having to pick between two job offers next week.   Wouldn't that be a nice problem to have?

For the record, if this were to happen I'm leaning heavily towards the company I talked to Thursday, despite Friday's interview being with a larger and more well known firm that would probably look better on my resume in the long run.

Edit:  Got two offers today.   The one I want is a significant pay cut, so I need to see some numbers on the one that I don't.  We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2010, 12:36 by A Wet Helmet »

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #101 on: 17 Aug 2010, 23:53 »

Welp my interview is tomorrow. The City Council just approved the bookstore so now they're gonna start doing stuff. Tomorrow, 3pm PST, Starbucks Coffee on main street. I should probably go to bed soon; honestly I think it's in the bag except for the people interviewing me aren't the owners (whom I'm good friends with), they're the managers (who I don't know/includes the girlfriend and the brother of one of the owners). This will basically be my first interview in forever, and I hope it goes well. I know the owners would be jazzed to have me working for them but I'll be interviewed by people I have to convince to be on the same page. And again to be honest, I don't see any difficulty in doing so but it's still a point of apprehension.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #102 on: 18 Aug 2010, 19:23 »

Goddamnit, trying to write on my resume what my current job entails is really hard. I am a waitress. I wait on people. How do I make this sound like I have a lot of skills (which I guess I do) without making it seem like I am stating the bleeding obvious?

I haven't even gotten to the cover letter stage of things and I already feel like I am full of shit. I hate job hunting.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #103 on: 18 Aug 2010, 19:47 »

So state the bleeding obvious.
You provide one-on-one customer service
You communicate within your team effectively
You are able to take concise and easily understood orders
You answer the phone and organise bookings (presumably)
You help with stock inventory (Oh hey we're out of chocolate powder soon)
You plate and serve desserts and assist with meal presentation in the kitchen (wiping up that spot of gravy on the rim)
You are able to open/close the shop on your own/as part of a team, including cleaning and stocking for the day/next day

etc etc

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #104 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:37 »

I recently transferred from one department of the agency I work for to another, so I could live with my gf and pursue a future and all that stuff. The downside was that I went from working full time 9 or 10 months a year to working full time 6 or 7 months a year (budget issues). 6 months of work just doesn't cut it for me, so I have a dilema. Stay where I'm at, a job I honestly love and feel lucky to have, or apply for another job in the same field that would be full time work with great benefits, but would also be terribly boring. It sucks.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #105 on: 19 Aug 2010, 13:41 »

Congratulations, Wet Helmet.

Sonof, could you take a part-time/season job to cover the time when you're not employed?
Francisco

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #106 on: 19 Aug 2010, 14:16 »

It ended up being the one I didn't think I wanted turned out to be a pretty awesome offer.  The one I thought I wanted got a little bit worse every time I talked to them.   I sent back my offer acceptance today and gave my current job two weeks notice.   Time to move on.

The suckiest part of this is I'm now going to have to deal with Tyson's Corner traffic every fucking day.  I know that means nothing to 99% of you, but to DC forumites, they know that's a special kind of hell.

SonofZ3

« Reply #107 on: 21 Aug 2010, 15:31 »

HiFranc: Thats def. an option, but working two jobs to make ends meet as a plan is getting tiring. I've done the seasonal work for 3 years now, and 9 months seasonal is pretty good, but when it starts dropping then all the financial worries start to make boring, but steady, work look better every day.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #108 on: 23 Aug 2010, 13:50 »

Tyson's Corner is fucking awful. Where are you coming from? I had a temp job there in April, and from Germantown it took me 45 minutes to get there in the morning, and 2 hours home, bailing off the highway as soon as I got into Maryland. But the office building was only 2 blocks from the beltway, thank god.

Actually, that company where I temped seems to really like me and would hire me permanently, but they don't have anywhere to put me right now. Boo. So they just call me when they need a temp. And now I'm back at the idiocracy that laid me off last summer, except I have a little job security this time, because the office manager just had a baby on Saturday.

But also our realtor from when we bought our house sent my resume to "Mr. B" of "A & B Real Estate" so fingers are crossed on that.

I just want to find a damn job that I can stay at and know what's expected of me and not be bored out of my mind.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #109 on: 23 Aug 2010, 13:57 »

I'm coming from the south, so I get 495 and 95 traffic.   Construction in the area is even worse now then the first time I moved here in the 80s.   Holy hell, it's been well over 20 years, finish already.  I remember it as not being so bad heading out there when I lived in Arlington and could just take surface streets, but yeah, it took me three and half hours to get home from that interview.   I think I'm going to try to go in super early and leave super early.   The other alternative is late/late.  We'll see how it works out.

I wish you the best of luck in your hunt.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #110 on: 06 Sep 2010, 04:24 »

I'm currently residing in Auckland, New Zealand and planning on moving to Sydney, Australia in January. However, I am kinda keen to speed this process up. Since I'm an Australian citizen already I figured I'd start applying for jobs as a librarian in Sydney from here.

Is this a good idea? How likely do you think I am to get an interview? If I do get one would it be worth flying over for a weekend (at a cost of around $500 NZD) to do the interview?

I think yes on all of the above but I'm interested in hearing others points of view.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #111 on: 06 Sep 2010, 04:35 »

i'd recommend that yes, apply, but ask if you can do a telephone interview if it gets to that point. my company does that all the time which is awesome so we have people from all over the country who have a chance where normally they wouldn't
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 04:37 by BrittanyMarie »
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #112 on: 06 Sep 2010, 05:11 »

Sounds like a good idea to me, you could stay at my place! Or not. Whatever.

In related job hunting news I applied for a job at a bookshop last night. This morning I got a call asking me to come in for an interview. This is pretty fucking awesome because it's my first interview after 8 months of looking for job. I'm going tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the job will be pretty cool and they will be ok with my already planned and set in stone holidays at the end of October.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #113 on: 06 Sep 2010, 05:48 »

Give it a go, Riz. You can't really lose anything.
I'm not sure many places would be keen for a phone interview but maybe it would be a good idea to come visit for job hunting purposes beforehand, as I know that library jobs are really hard to come by here.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #114 on: 07 Sep 2010, 17:25 »

Today was the first day of my new job today.   Hopefully, I won't have to be posting in this thread anymore.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #115 on: 19 Sep 2010, 00:53 »

I've been talking to one of my friends from work about job hunting. Apparently at some places she has interviewed at lately she's been told that the company she (we) work for has a really bad reputation among HR and recruitmenty people for having a really high turnover so even though she's been there for 3 years and I've been there for almost 2, it is harder for us to get interviews because as soon as they see the company name on our CVs they instantly have a low opinion of us. Damn.

Also, I've put an application through for a job on this companies website but they don't let you put your CV or anything so I've been tweaking the job history I've put through. Anyway, does it make any difference if I apply for than once? I mean I've applied with these guys for a couple of different positions over the last  8 months so at this point I'm happy to apply a couple of times if it's going to help my chances.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #116 on: 19 Sep 2010, 09:41 »

most retail and customer service locations will keep your resume on file for three months before they scrap it. even if some companies keep it longer, it's very likely that after a couple of months it's gonna get pushed so far down to the bottom of the pile you might as well have just shot it into space. general rule of thumb is three months.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #117 on: 19 Sep 2010, 15:00 »

No I meant applying for the same position (for instance the most recent one was advertised on September 13th) multiple times. I've applied for different positions with this place, almost twice a month for the last 8 months.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #118 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:24 »

Today is a glorious day. The first employer in over 50 has taken the effort to notify me I did not get the position in a timely manner. The HR lady even gave me a written letter (hand addressed) to my home. It's a fantastic, remarkable thing to simply be notified. With the way HR acts lately, in general, you would think they can't be bothered. I would say a vast majority don't even make an attempt in covering their asses with a "if we don't notify you in X then you didn't get it."

I get it; people hound HR when they don't get jobs. There are a lot of people (~200 per position) applying. The thing is... you merely screen the applicants for the most fundamental requirements. The former problem could merely be solved with an anonymous, no-reply email. I'm normally not a spiteful or outwardly thrashing person, but it seems like HR is getting lazy and rude at an exponential rate as the downturn pans out. It just grinds my gears when I have 2 BAs, a handful of up-to-date certs (plus dozens of expiered ones), and a reasonable attitude that a snot-nosed communication major acts like an enormous, put-upon prick.

Lastly, to expand on the HR getting hounded thing, that's part of their job IMHO. When I have(had) to deal with moronic executives, incompetent users, and general stupidity I didn't purposefully do things to avoid them like some fearful child of their drunkard father. To me, not notifying people (even en masse via mailer) is a pussy thing to do and circumvents something implicitly part of your job.

</rant>

"While your experience and education are impressive, we would like to inform you to go fuck yourself."
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 03:26 by gospel »
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #119 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:37 »

I on the other hand just got an email from Apple (when did I apply for them? oh yeah, two months ago) asking for the best time for them to call me to arrange an interview. Anyone worked at an Apple store before and want to tell me how good the pay/work environment is?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #120 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:45 »

This isn't wholy on topic as I haven't applied for any jobs but it seemed the most sensible place to ask for advice.

Ovviously term is about to start again and as a result I've got a ton of emails about law firm networking events. I hate these events, they're invariably boring, alcohol-ridden and full of small talk, which I'm really bad at. It's made worse by the fact that I was certain before I even began the degree that I don't want to be a lawyer. The events aren't compulsory but everyone keeps telling me that "you should go, you might change your mind and then you'll regret not having schmoozed a law firm already".

And that's the question: Are they right or am I? I have no doubt in my mind that I don't want to be a lawyer. I don't want to be a solicitor, I don't want to be a barrister, I don't want to work for a law firm full stop. The things I've considered as careers I'd enjoy are teaching, being a PA to someone in theatre or similar, working in an antiques shop and being a housewife. None of these things require me to network with law firms.

I've reached a point where I've begun to consider changing to another subject for my final year, just to make it completely clear that I do. not. want. to be a lawyer. Is that a bit too drastic? There are other reasons for changing, which I've covered before but mostly involve not really enjoying the compulsory modules (compulsory because they are necessary to qualify as a lawyer. Sigh.) and enjoying parts which are in another course as well.

TL;DR do I stick with the awful, awkward networking elements of being a law student on the miniscule chance that it might be useful in the future, or do I put my foot down and refuse to go to endless dinners, drinks parties, conferences, workshops and goodness knows what else because I hate them and have better things to do?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #121 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:49 »

If you absolutely don't want to be a lawyer then don't waste your time. From what I gather you already do a shitload of theatre stuff which is way more relevant to what it sounds like what you want to do.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #122 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:57 »

This isn't wholy on topic as I haven't applied for any jobs but it seemed the most sensible place to ask for advice.

Ovviously term is about to start again and as a result I've got a ton of emails about law firm networking events. I hate these events, they're invariably boring, alcohol-ridden and full of small talk, which I'm really bad at. It's made worse by the fact that I was certain before I even began the degree that I don't want to be a lawyer. The events aren't compulsory but everyone keeps telling me that "you should go, you might change your mind and then you'll regret not having schmoozed a law firm already".

And that's the question: Are they right or am I? I have no doubt in my mind that I don't want to be a lawyer. I don't want to be a solicitor, I don't want to be a barrister, I don't want to work for a law firm full stop. The things I've considered as careers I'd enjoy are teaching, being a PA to someone in theatre or similar, working in an antiques shop and being a housewife. None of these things require me to network with law firms.

I've reached a point where I've begun to consider changing to another subject for my final year, just to make it completely clear that I do. not. want. to be a lawyer. Is that a bit too drastic? There are other reasons for changing, which I've covered before but mostly involve not really enjoying the compulsory modules (compulsory because they are necessary to qualify as a lawyer. Sigh.) and enjoying parts which are in another course as well.

TL;DR do I stick with the awful, awkward networking elements of being a law student on the miniscule chance that it might be useful in the future, or do I put my foot down and refuse to go to endless dinners, drinks parties, conferences, workshops and goodness knows what else because I hate them and have better things to do?
Just to be clearr; you are a law student with one year left and you are certainly planning to change your major?

I'm a bit perplexed by this since law school is generally a graduate endevour, and I am not sure what you would change your major to. I could use a bit of clarification since my reading comprehension is dwindling in these wee hours.

If my assessment is correct, I would say yes you can cut-down on the hobnobbing and networking. I would advise, though, to finishing your JD is a good idea if you only have a year left. At the end of the day, it can't hurt you really (assuming you're that close).
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #123 on: 28 Sep 2010, 09:53 »

I'm just entering my second year, and it's not quite the same as in the US - I don't have a major as such, I'm just doing a law degree. There are no non-law exams or papers, and I don't get a whole lot of choice about the papers I do (this year I am doing five, and three are compulsory).

In the UK law isn't a graduate thing, you take an undergraduate degree and then professional exams afterwards. In my opinion the undergraduate degree shouldn't be as vocational as it is, but obviously I'm in the minority.

The thing about Cambridge is that you do your degree in two parts, so I've done Part IA and am about to start Part IB. Then I could do a completely different subject for Part II and still have a valid degree after just three years of studying. But I'm not sure whether or not to go for it. I'm glad you guys agree that the networking isn't as necessary as everyone who does want to be a lawyer thinks it is. I just feel guilty when people look at me and basically go "you don't know what you're talking about, why wouldn't you want to be a lawyer?", because then I kind of doubt myself.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #124 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:36 »

I just got registered to participate in paid studies. Kinda thing where you get paid $5 for half an hour of your time. That kinda thing. Yes, I need money that badly.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

gospel

• the word
« Reply #125 on: 28 Sep 2010, 13:41 »

I'm just entering my second year, and it's not quite the same as in the US - I don't have a major as such, I'm just doing a law degree. There are no non-law exams or papers, and I don't get a whole lot of choice about the papers I do (this year I am doing five, and three are compulsory).

In the UK law isn't a graduate thing, you take an undergraduate degree and then professional exams afterwards. In my opinion the undergraduate degree shouldn't be as vocational as it is, but obviously I'm in the minority.

The thing about Cambridge is that you do your degree in two parts, so I've done Part IA and am about to start Part IB. Then I could do a completely different subject for Part II and still have a valid degree after just three years of studying. But I'm not sure whether or not to go for it. I'm glad you guys agree that the networking isn't as necessary as everyone who does want to be a lawyer thinks it is. I just feel guilty when people look at me and basically go "you don't know what you're talking about, why wouldn't you want to be a lawyer?", because then I kind of doubt myself.
Over 70% of people (at least in the US) do not go into a field related to their degree. The degree does not define who you are or what you can/will do, albeit an important piece of paper. Figure out what you want to do, get the degree, and prioritize. If you're 100% certain that the networking in the law field cannot/will not aid you in a non-law pursuit, then fuck it.  This isn't to say networkin gisn't important, unfortunately.

My apologizes for assuming you were from the US.

-Abraham Lincoln

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #126 on: 11 Oct 2010, 06:04 »

10 months now of looking for a new job. 10 months of getting continually knocked back (if I get a reply at all). How fucking hard is it to get a goddamn retail job for fuck's sake. I'm going to be stuck in this fucking call centre until I fucking kill myself. I can't handle having to go in there every single fucking day.

Fuck.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #127 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:35 »

Have you considered temping to get some more varied experience?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up