THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to talk about coffee.  (Read 42655 times)

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: I want to talk about coffee.
« Reply #50 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:51 »

Wait, what do you hate, if not his politics? I have read some of his columns, and that was all that I could see as rubbing someone the wrong way.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #51 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:05 »

I just got back in my chair - I'm still giggling insanely from this thread.

I have to admit that THE VERY FIRST THING I THOUGHT when reading that bit about
What I do is I take a jar of Marks and Spencers instant coffee (The gold one). Then I lovingly remove the lid with a clockwise turning motion of my right hand. Meanwhile, I have set my kettle to boil (remembering to only boil enough for one cup so I can SAVE THE PLANET!).
was "This could actually be a Clarkson quote!"

The second thing I thought was "Blergh, that's not my definition of a really good cup of coffee, but hey, he's probably English, and to each his own".

And then I find that you hate Jez Clarkson's guts, with a vengeance.

One has to admit that this IS quite funny, this.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:31 »

To be fair, I probably wouldn't have fallen asleep during Dillinger Escape Plan's set that time I saw them if Jeremy Clarkson had been there.

The adjective I'm having trouble here with is 'terrible'. Like, fair enough you can indeed taste a difference between different sorts of coffee. I can do that myself! But I don't understand why a fairly high quality, arabica bean instant coffee should be figuratively likened to drinking a cup of hot cat vomit spiked with arsenic and that bitter tasting liquid people spread on their nails to try and train themselves to stop biting them. The difference simply isn't that great. I refuse to believe that anyone who likes coffee, as opposed to say some syrup-infused mofrapocachino grandeverticale massimo patheticfallacio could find drinking slightly less complexly flavoured, slightly thinner coffee to be a physically unpleasant experience.

Plus I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest there are class/sttus things bound up in how you take coffee.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #53 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:39 »

I'd say it's more ridiculous to suggest that the shit that people on this forum wank on about isn't incredibly middle-class. Basically the two biggest offenders are coffee and single malt whiskeys.

For reference I don't like coffee because I find it to be very bitter (don't worry, it's a thing with my taste buds that I'm very sensitive to bitter tasting things and not so much to sweet tasting things so I have a mad sweet tooth). I prefer milkshakes.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #54 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:48 »

I prefer milkshakes.

Well that is a non-sequitur. I mean, it may be true but milkshakes and coffee have basically nothing to do with each other. Unless you mean you drink milkshakes before going to work in the morning.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #55 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:51 »

I would if I could (by which I mean, if I could be bothered).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #56 on: 13 Oct 2010, 06:35 »

I refuse to believe that anyone who likes coffee, as opposed to say some syrup-infused mofrapocachino grandeverticale massimo patheticfallacio could find drinking slightly less complexly flavoured, slightly thinner coffee to be a physically unpleasant experience.

I drink a fair amount of coffee and I always have it black. I find instant coffee pretty much undrinkable (in the sense that when I drink it I go 'eurghh' and never finish a cup).
So, there you go.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #57 on: 13 Oct 2010, 06:35 »

I have wondered if instant coffee was the inspiration behind Douglas Adams when he made Arthur Dent describe the drink from the vending machine as "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #58 on: 13 Oct 2010, 06:48 »

I drink a fair amount of coffee and I always have it black. I find instant coffee pretty much undrinkable (in the sense that when I drink it I go 'eurghh' and never finish a cup).
So, there you go.

I'm not a coffee drinker myself so I don't know firsthand, but I would liken the situation to microwave foods or sugar-free snacks. For example, I love fresh seafood but Gorton's frozen fish sticks literally make me gag. It would be an exaggeration to say they're worse than something that is literally poisonous, but it is not an exaggeration at all to say they are barely edible and I would rather eat paper. Any food that I would literally prefer paper to I feel merits the adjective "terrible."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #59 on: 13 Oct 2010, 06:55 »

I have never found coffee to have any kind of waking-me-up effect, except for when I drank an entire mug of espresso.

Slightly off topic, I went out for breakfast with someone who does not like coffee or tea or hot chocolate, so she ordered a mug of hot water. Weird.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #60 on: 13 Oct 2010, 07:06 »

a boorish, tendentious arsehole

Hol' up. That's why I find Jezza hilarious.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #61 on: 13 Oct 2010, 07:15 »

a mug of hot water. Weird.

This, apparently, is quite common! My stepdad's mom is partial to hot water with a slice of lemon. And it must be a slice, mind, not a wedge.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #62 on: 13 Oct 2010, 07:54 »

The adjective I'm having trouble here with is 'terrible'. Like, fair enough you can indeed taste a difference between different sorts of coffee. I can do that myself! But I don't understand why a fairly high quality, arabica bean instant coffee should be figuratively likened to drinking a cup of hot cat vomit spiked with arsenic and that bitter tasting liquid people spread on their nails to try and train themselves to stop biting them. The difference simply isn't that great. I refuse to believe that anyone who likes coffee, as opposed to say some syrup-infused mofrapocachino grandeverticale massimo patheticfallacio could find drinking slightly less complexly flavoured, slightly thinner coffee to be a physically unpleasant experience.

As I said, to each his own.
Which implicates that, regardless whether or not you have trouble with it, it is actually ok for me to say that, at work, if I have the choice between instant coffee and nothing, I prefer nothing butthankyouverymuchforoffering.
Iīm not so sure if that would also hold true for the first cuppa after waking up, but itīs been decades since I tried.

Plus I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest there are class/sttus things bound up in how you take coffee.

In my case, that would be ridiculous. In the morning I am not capable of performing any classy stunts or elitist rituals.

If When I want my espresso in the morning, I have to be capable of completing a fairly straightforward ritual, one that anyone who is only partly awake can complete with some preparation and practice.

Here's how it works:
1. Wake up, stumble downstairs without breaking anything vital.
2. On my way to the loo, REMEMBER to switch The Machine on, so that it can warm up while I take a leak.
3. Once my bladder is relaxed, take a cup, put it in the designated spot on The Machine, press a button.
4. There is some noise of beans being ground, and water being pressed through ground beans at 15 bar. This will last about 15 seconds.
5. Sit down, close eyes, drink Nectar Of The Gods resulting from steps 4 and 5.

There is nothing elitist or esoteric about that, is there?
The only thing I need to do to make this work is to make sure that, before I hit the sack on the preceding evening, thereīs coffee beans and water in The Machine, and the receptable for processed coffee ground has been emptied.

I cannot handle very much just after waking up, but I can handle that.

Mind you, this coffee is any bit as good as whatever I could get in a good CoD-type operation.
I will immediately agree that, perceptively, Your Mileage Might Vary, but trust me on this: based on objectifiable criteria, this beverage is several magnitudes tastier than any instant coffee I have ever come across. And yes, I am familiar with M&S, Sainsbury and Tesco.

It also doesnīt have anything to do with class or status.
Granted, one has to be able to afford some version of The Machine. What with me being fairly well-off (sorry), I can afford buying one. New. Which is what I did NOT do. I got my current Machine secondhand a year ago. For a price any student can afford by simply refraining to go out on a drinking binge for a month. Mine was less than 70 quid. If it lasts another two years, Iīm happy.

What with The Machine only wanting beans and water, it is also the cheapest solution when it comes to running costs. If you donīt care about the beverage quality, youīll find that ANY coffee bean variety commercially available will still give you better quality coffee than you could possibly get from instant coffee. Spending a little bit more than that on beans (but not twice as much) will give you something that anyone, being half-awake in the morning, would perceive as The Nectar Of The Gods.
And actually spending twice as much on beans will give you something that will equal The Nectar Of The Gods for your after-dinner-coffee as well.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 08:12 by peterh »
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #63 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:33 »

When I want to listen to music, I don't want to listen to any available music. I would rather listen to no music than listen to, say, The Pixies, which I find excruciatingly boring. Mutatis mutandis: instant coffee doesn't taste good just because it's coffee.

What you seem to be suggesting here is that coffee offers a range of experiences comparable to the range of experiences one is capable of having with music, which just seems ludicrous!
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #64 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:42 »

When I want to listen to music, I don't want to listen to any available music. I would rather listen to no music than listen to, say, The Pixies, which I find excruciatingly boring. Mutatis mutandis: instant coffee doesn't taste good just because it's coffee.

What you seem to be suggesting here is that coffee offers a range of experiences comparable to the range of experiences one is capable of having with music, which just seems ludicrous!

It is not the same range... that would indeed be laughable.

But if we take the sheer emotional saturation of music out of the equation, it would simply become a matter of scale, and in that way, it is usefully comparable. I can see where Jeans's statement is coming from, and I would concur.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #65 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:51 »

Clearly you have never experienced the sheer agony that arises both from listening to a particularly appalling piece of music, and burning your tongue.

Edit: injuring through the application of great heat, rather than attaching a small hook-covered seed pod.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010, 09:29 by Barmymoo »
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #66 on: 13 Oct 2010, 09:09 »

and buring your tongue.

Buring? Pray explain, sweet Barmymoo.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #67 on: 13 Oct 2010, 09:23 »

Instant coffee was all they had at my old job, and seeing as I spent an awful lot of time at that job spectacularly tired, I managed to reason myself into thinking that some coffee (even instant) would be preferable to no coffee at all. I am a very experienced caffeine drinker, but for some reason every time I drank instant coffee I ended up with  a throbbing headache and my stomach turning knots on itself. This happened several times so it was no isolated incident. Instant coffee does weird things to my body.

Also, I totally agree with schimmy when he says that if you take yr coffee black with no sugar, there really is an instantly perceivable margin of difference between instant and otherwise. I can't comment on how the addition of milk and sugar affects this.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #68 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:10 »

As I said, I know theres's a difference but to me it seems very minor, and good instant coffee to me is preferable to Americano.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #69 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:17 »

I like the Moldy Peaches.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #70 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:21 »

I'm pretty sure I wrote about liking shitty coffee a little while ago.
I drink whatever I can get at the bulk barn or where I happen to be shopping when I'm out, brewed in a moka pot. Nice and strong. The moka pot is also incredibly handy for when you want to add coffee to a baking recipe but not off-set the liquid so much (or use instant crystals). Having stove-top espresso type drink is good enough that I don't mind mediocre beans. Would consider getting an aeropress if my moka broke.

I used to have to get coffee from Tim Horton's rather than the organic fair-trade stuff we sold where I worked, because ours irritated my digestive tract. Happened with a handful of other people I've known. Something about certain kinds of coffee and certain kinds of people.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #71 on: 13 Oct 2010, 16:14 »

I drink loads of coffee. Far too much coffee than is probably good for me. On a good (or is it bad?) day I will drink 2 cafetieres of coffee. Before lunch. Taylor's Lazy Sunday is my current favourite. It is divine. Black, with one sugar. Hot sweet heaven in a mug.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #72 on: 13 Oct 2010, 16:32 »

Lazy Sunday isn't my routine coffee, but I get it from time to time to relish its rich smoothness.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #73 on: 14 Oct 2010, 02:50 »

Khar, to me most instant coffee tastes like it's got metho or mineral turps or something in it, so I wouldn't call "terrible" a bad word to use about it at all.  That's not coffee-snobbery, it's just what my taste-buds tell me.  There are maybe two brands of instant coffee that I can stomach, and even then only certain blends.  I have no idea why, because I used to drink it a hell of a lot from my teens through to about five or so years ago.  If I could drink it then it'd be great, because I'd be able to just flip the kettle on and do as you do, which is way simpler than the rigmarole I've got to go through for a cup.  But I like the end product of my rigmarole, so I guess it's what I'm stuck with.

Also, I was reminded the other week about the difference between a good cup of cafe coffee and a fucking great one.  We went to a new cafe up the road (Shenkin, in Erskineville) to try it out and the baristas there really know their shit.  One of the best coffees in this area, and this area is saturated with cafes.  The Toby's Estate store up the road is pretty good, the Campos place is good but over-rated, and this place is better than both of them.  I've tried going for a walk at lunch during the week to experiment with some of the cafes around my work, but none of them are any good.  They all serve the coffee way too hot (sometimes too hot to touch), which means it fucks the milk up and makes it too bitter.  I'm toying with the idea of asking for it "not too hot" or something, but I don't really know if that'll help things overly much if they can't realise for themselves that it's too hot.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #74 on: 14 Oct 2010, 03:01 »

My girlfriend does that. If anything it seems to just piss off the baristas and they make her coffee more hot than usual.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #75 on: 14 Oct 2010, 10:41 »

*I don't know if buying Fairtrade is an empty gesture or if it actually does anything, but I assume the farmers are paid before the coffee is sold to me, so they won't suffer because of the price cut, at least.

Fair trade, along with a few other umbrella terms like "organic", are almost completely meaningless, and it's almost a rule of thumb that the more of these kinds of titles are attached to your coffee, the crappier it's gonna taste. Fair trade, specifically, is a pretty dumb system anyway: although, yes, it means the growers get more dollar, it works in effect like a welfare system for coffee-growing nations, and attracts growers who aren't as interested (or, aren't as capable) in quality coffee.

Normally I'm disgustingly snobbish about putting sugar in coffee and tea, but if you're drinking a shot of espresso it's traditional to put just a little bit of sugar in to cut the bitterness and bring out the flavour of the coffee. Go to Italy if you don't believe me!

Dude, there's a reason high-end espresso bars and cafes these days aren't traditional Italian ones: just because it's classic doesn't mean it's right! Traditional Italian espressos are, by today's standards, fairly diluted, using only about 6-8g of ground bean to a 1oz espresso, which makes a bitter, watery shot. In that situation, you might need a little sugar, yes. Does that mean you should do it in your neighborhood cafe (or, heaven forbid, your local specialty coffee bar)?

Hell no! Anyone with a modern espresso bar is dosing at LEAST 18g of dry ground bean to 1-1.5oz espresso (the cafe I work at, which just won the Krups Kup of Excellence Canadian independent cafe competition, doses between 22 and 24g for a "shot"). Higher dosing promotes a few things, not chief among them a velvety mouthfeel that you utterly destroy with any kind of hard sugar. Additionally, adding sugar to an espresso with proper crema is just going to make the drink over-sweet -- espresso is supposed to have that brightness at the beginning of your drink, and if you need to add sugar to get it you're at the wrong cafe.

[/rant]

On the subject of coffee-at-home, I can't really do it anymore. Although I still appreciate press-pot coffee, I've become completely addicted to the Clover (which is, in essence, a very expensive automated french-press/siphon-filter machine). If you can find one in your city, it's worth a trip to check out the smoothest "drip" coffee you'll ever have. Too bad Starbucks bought them out and halted production completely, or they might be a little more popular.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #76 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:20 »

it works in effect like a welfare system for coffee-growing nations, and attracts growers who aren't as interested (or, aren't as capable) in quality coffee.

So you're saying suffering and injustice produce good coffees?

What is the 'mouthfeel' of oppression?

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #77 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:35 »

Dude, there's a reason high-end espresso bars and cafes these days aren't traditional Italian ones: just because it's classic doesn't mean it's right! Traditional Italian espressos are, by today's standards, fairly diluted, using only about 6-8g of ground bean to a 1oz espresso, which makes a bitter, watery shot. [/rant]

I assume that you're talking about "traditional Italian" coffee shops in Canada, not about the country Italy... right?

Hugh B Hayve

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #78 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:59 »

Arr-dee-arr Billy! I be likin' me coffee with a shot-o-Captain's don'tcha know. :-D

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 14 Oct 2010, 12:22 »

I think it's fair enough to guess that Ozy made the Clarkson comparison as a snide way of decrying my fairly undemanding taste in coffee as priggish, boorish, unreconstructed, reactionary, middle class, witless, ugly and distasteful to civilized man. Which would indicate that socioculturally, drinking coffee which takes longer to prepare and is more expensive is judged as a sign of sophistication, which casts us back to a rather baroque view of taste, don't you think?

Nah, I don't give two shits about coffee. The comment was just very aggressively sarcastic and snide towards overly elitist trappings in a very Clarkson way.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #80 on: 14 Oct 2010, 12:51 »

Dude, there's a reason high-end espresso bars and cafes these days aren't traditional Italian ones: just because it's classic doesn't mean it's right! Traditional Italian espressos are, by today's standards, fairly diluted, using only about 6-8g of ground bean to a 1oz espresso, which makes a bitter, watery shot. [/rant]

I assume that you're talking about "traditional Italian" coffee shops in Canada, not about the country Italy... right?

You assume completely incorrectly! I can appreciate what Italy did for coffee and also think that massive improvements have been made since then, and that traditionalists are just stubborn.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #81 on: 14 Oct 2010, 16:31 »

Nonetheless, I'm afraid you lose the argument for being the first person to use the word "mouthfeel".

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #82 on: 14 Oct 2010, 16:35 »

Gevalia, whatever box happens to be open, from a French press. Every morning in a big blue cup.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #83 on: 15 Oct 2010, 00:14 »

You assume completely incorrectly! I can appreciate what Italy did for coffee and also think that massive improvements have been made since then, and that traditionalists are just stubborn.

I remain under the assumption that you are still referring to a different country than I am. I've been to Italy a couple times, and on each occasion, the espresso I was served did not fit your description by a large margin.
Also, my espresso machine uses considerably more coffee than 6-8 grams of ground.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #84 on: 15 Oct 2010, 01:55 »

Any home espresso machine and most commercial ones dose between 16 and 22 grams for an ounce of espresso -- traditionally, the Italians used much less during the initial popularity of espresso drinks.

Also you fuckin' punks used the word "coffee snob" about a dozen times in the first page and you get uppity when I drop a "mouthfeel" or two? We're gonna fight!!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #85 on: 15 Oct 2010, 03:37 »

Coffee Snob is two words.

What is the mouthfeel of not being able to comprehend the english language?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #86 on: 15 Oct 2010, 03:42 »

But Jens.

What is the mouthfeel of a bitch?

ackblom12

« Reply #87 on: 15 Oct 2010, 03:43 »

Mouthfeel is just silly because the word texture exist.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #88 on: 15 Oct 2010, 04:28 »

Yeah mouthfeel takes into account not only texture but also consistency.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #89 on: 15 Oct 2010, 04:33 »

the initial popularity of espresso

I think that period precedes us both by a considerable margin. Unless espresso is a recent development in Canada, that is. It was around here before I was born, anyway, and it was served in Italy as well. Not that I had the opportunity of tasting it then, because, duh, I didn't exist.

Also you fuckin' punks
Seems as if you should, er, cut down on the cafeine a bit. Should you address people like that in an Amsterdam coffee shop, you could expect anything between a stern advice to evacuate the premises and a swift punch in the face. Unless you want to create the impression that you're a 17 yr old Internet Tough Guy high on crack, this is not an appropriate way to address your peers.

Anyway, I have to say that, when I first read the word "mouthfeel", my initial thought was "why doesn't he just say structure?"

For your information: during the period of initial popularity of espresso (which was the beginning of the 20th century), the sugar was not added to fight the bitter taste from using not enough coffee ground, but the bitter taste that resulted from pressing STEAM (100 degrees Celcius) through the ground. This was too hot, the ground burnt, causing the bitter taste. This was not cured until somebody (I forgot who) had the clever idea of using a piston to push the water (below cooking) through the ground. This was a lot more recent, but still before WWII.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #90 on: 15 Oct 2010, 04:48 »

You need to sniff out the lay of the land around here more, shithead.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #91 on: 15 Oct 2010, 05:56 »

Ah... "shithead". Yes, of course. Another example of shining Interweb verbal proficiency. I stand in awe.

You know, I may have already been "sniffing out the lay of the land" on the Intarwubs when it was still called the Internet, there was no such thing as http://, and you were busy having your diapers changed. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In these days, there were more effective ways to verbally counter your conversation partners's banter, without having to resort to mindless profanities. I really do not see why we should limit ourselves to mindless (and unfunny) profanities when there are much more effective (and funny) ways available to provide a voice to our discontent.

Can you tell I'm really enjoying this? Because I am. :D
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 05:59 by peterh »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #92 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:06 »

I changed my mind about this thread. It's great.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #93 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:07 »

Guys just CALM DOWN. It is just coffee. I mean, sure some people really like coffee but it is still just a hot beverage with a variety of possible formulations.

For the record, I really like mocha. Does that count as coffee? It has coffee in it anyway.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #94 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:16 »

Guys just CALM DOWN.

Hahaha... Barmymoo, I am completely calm. I'm just enjoying a mild Friday afternoon flame war. Trust me, I *am* having fun with this! :D (I'm too old to get me knickers in a twist over this anyway, really)

For the record, I really like mocha. Does that count as coffee? It has coffee in it anyway.
Faye tells us that mocha is "espresso with training wheels on", so yes. Remember the comic where Faye served Angus a coffee with milk in it that wasn't soy milk, which triggered Angus' lactose intolerance, and had him on the toilet shouting "for the love of God, Montresor!"?
That was mocha.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #95 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:24 »

Coffee is serious business, May.

Hence, mocha, being not proper coffee, is a joke.

Oh shut up, you dolt. Anything that introduces the aspiring caffeine-addict to Real Coffee is good enough.

Peter: I don't think Sean was actually trying to offend anyone! We call each other fuckin' punks around here occasionally, we aren't actually mad or trying to be dicks. (Well, Khar was just now, but he's trolling right now.)
In all fairness, I didn't think he was. I was doing a bit of (very mellow) trolling myself too. I like a nice verbal spar when it is offered to me (and I consider calling us "fucking punks" offering a verbal spar), and I was trying to figure out if Melodic would pick up the gauntlet. And then Khar chimed in and I thought, hey, that's just as good.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 06:34 by peterh »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #96 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:25 »

It is just coffee.

No, it's coffee on the Internet.

Now I'm going to make some, and ignore the next few responses.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #97 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:25 »

Hey, coffee thread.

I'M DRINKING TEA!!!!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #98 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:31 »

It is just coffee.

No, it's coffee on the Internet.

You may have just nailed it there, you know? ;)

Yes, you do know. Since you are bound to ignore this anyway, I am free to say so.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #99 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:32 »

VEEP! FIGHT YOU!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up