THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to talk about coffee.  (Read 42681 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: I want to talk about coffee.
« Reply #100 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:37 »

BRING IT ON, JIMJAM.

Really. Come up here and bring it on. I miss you.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #101 on: 15 Oct 2010, 06:56 »

In these days, there were more effective ways to verbally counter your conversation partners's banter, without having to resort to mindless profanities. I really do not see why we should limit ourselves to mindless (and unfunny) profanities when there are much more effective (and funny) ways available to provide a voice to our discontent.

See now, I don't think they are mindless (or unfunny) profanities. I think they are just part of people's vernaculars and vocabularies. Personally I like swear words; some of them are really well suited to be rude words. You might get offended if people on the forums (or the internet in general, I guess) are being called punks (fucking punks, if you want to be specific), but everyone else who he was referring to didn't care.

Yeah sure, you might be old and been on the internet for ages or whatever, we don't care. No one here cares about how old you are. Paul is cool because he doesn't constantly bring up the fact that he is older than most of us, and when he does it's to prove his point, not to wag his dick around. You are a veteran to the internet, but you are still a newbie here, on a forum that hasn't had any newbies for about a year. Take your time to see how this place works before getting preachy about telling us what to do.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #102 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:11 »

Shane, but the kettle on. I've got three teapots and enough tea to make everyone in here a nice soothing cuppa and then we can all just relax.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #103 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:13 »

i like where this thread is going

(currently drinking earl grey fuck yeah!)

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #104 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:30 »

In these days, there were more effective ways to verbally counter your conversation partners's banter, without having to resort to mindless profanities. I really do not see why we should limit ourselves to mindless (and unfunny) profanities when there are much more effective (and funny) ways available to provide a voice to our discontent.

See now, I don't think they are mindless (or unfunny) profanities. I think they are just part of people's vernaculars and vocabularies. Personally I like swear words; some of them are really well suited to be rude words. You might get offended if people on the forums (or the internet in general, I guess) are being called punks (fucking punks, if you want to be specific), but everyone else who he was referring to didn't care.

Yeah sure, you might be old and been on the internet for ages or whatever, we don't care. No one here cares about how old you are. Paul is cool because he doesn't constantly bring up the fact that he is older than most of us, and when he does it's to prove his point, not to wag his dick around. You are a veteran to the internet, but you are still a newbie here, on a forum that hasn't had any newbies for about a year. Take your time to see how this place works before getting preachy about telling us what to do.

See now. I see how you don't care. I am sitting here, thinking I don't care that you don't care. That makes us even. If we both don't care, that's pretty relaxing. Let's work from there.

I also don't care that this forum hasn't had any newbies for around a year. The very fact that this is the case makes your forum more of a shut-in than me.

And don't make the mistake of thinking that I was offended. Personally, I do not dislike swear words, I just tend to think that it's a waste of testosterone if they are used in a context that does not serve any purpose.

I mean, I could just call you a mindless fuck, but that wouldn't serve any purpose if I wouldn't come up with a useful context to do so. And even if I could, calling you a dolt, rather than a fucking punk, is just as useful.

And trust me: I have seen how "this place" works, for about a year or so. There is no single way in which it works any differently than the rest of the Internet works.

And if you think I am preachy about telling you what to do, you may want to learn to read. Start reading your own post, in which you are telling ME what to do.

I rest my case.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 07:36 by peterh »
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

Cernunnos

• What
« Reply #105 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:38 »

you really don't get it, do you?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:41 »

i like where this thread is going

(currently drinking earl grey fuck yeah!)

Earl Grey bros! o/
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #107 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:42 »

London Tea Company Vanilla Chai.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #108 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:44 »

um... Albert Heyn english blend. That probably doesn't make much sense at all ;)
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #109 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:45 »

And trust me: I have seen how "this place" works, for about a year or so. There is no single way in which it works any differently than the rest of the Internet works.

I'd like to step in and let you know that this forum actually does work quite differently than a lot of other forums on the internet. This is because most of us are pretty close, personal friends! It is a place pretty dear to many of its users and the fact we haven't had a lot of newbies stick around is because they go and act like this is the rest of the internet and they can, uh, "wag their dicks" like they own the place, which ultimately gains them nothing. In real life would you walk up to a group of people, obviously friends who are comfortable with one another, and announce what you don't like about them?
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #110 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:46 »

The coffee thread just had a relatively peaceful coup by us tea folk.

Huzzah! Tea for all!

Cernunnos

• What
« Reply #111 on: 15 Oct 2010, 07:53 »

shane \o

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #112 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:08 »

And remember, Jens, you were a bit hard on me at first, too (remember the tiff over my signing my name to posts?).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #113 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:12 »

In real life would you walk up to a group of people, obviously friends who are comfortable with one another, and announce what you don't like about them?

Depends.
How would YOU react if someone in this group of people would step up and address the rest of the audience (not including you) as "fucking cunts"?
I have never walked up to "a group of friends" to "announce what I didn't like about them", until one of them started to call the others "fucking cunts". I am very sorry if I am wrong in thinking you don't tell your friend that he is a fucking cunt.

ackblom12

« Reply #114 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:14 »

Ahhh, a lesson in how not to handle things in a new environment.

Watch carefully children, this is important.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #115 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:20 »

Peter: even if you have visited a million houses in your lifetime, it's a good idea to be nice and amiable every time you step into a new household, no?
Sure. But if that includes being nice and amiable to anyone who decides it's ok to call any and all "fucking cunts", I might have my reservations. Y'know... sometimes, newbie or not, something happens that falls in the category of "I don't mind... but I don't mind saying it either." Fuck, it wasn't even aimed at me, but it was aimed at others here whom I held in high regard.

I feel that a base level of respect is what everone deserves.
And if anyone is not ready to offer that base line of respect, they should be ready and willing to accept some respectful sparring from me.

You think this is too much to ask? Again, where was I as disrespectul as the person who called you "fucking cunts"?

I have no doubts our forum shares characteristics with a lot of other forums, but the fact that you're trying to argue with us that you're behaving appropriately... Well, it kind of demonstrates that you aren't. And you can't have lurked here for that long, seeing as registration just opened for newbies and this subforum is off-limits to unregistered viewers. This subforum is almost completely separate from the dudes that discuss the comic - we practically never talk about the comic in this subforum. A lot of people here don't even read it.

That explains a lot.
I think I might just cease to hang out here.
In fact, I guess I will. I'm more interested in QC anyway.

Cheers, folks, have a good time!
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 08:36 by peterh »

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #116 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:21 »

Stephen, shut up you fucking cunt. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Cernunnos

• What
« Reply #117 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:23 »

The first PM i got on this forum was from tommy and it read:

HEY MANG FUCK YOU DUDE!

He was joking.

...i hope.

ackblom12

« Reply #118 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:34 »

Stephen, shut up you fucking cunt. 

You are the Queen of the Cunts.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #119 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:35 »

Linguistic communities, yo. "Fucking cunt" might refer to best of pals, direst enemy, or really any degree of relationship. You can look at it like it fell on a scale of "proper to improper," but that scale (and the general account of language it's part of) is a fiction created to establish authority.

Anyway, about coffee. It's alright, but what really gets me going are coffee mugs. Specifically, handcrafted ceramic mugs. It's this particular intersection of practicality and aesthetic appeal that draws me like a moth to a flame. A good mug just feels really, really good.

Cernunnos

• What
« Reply #120 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:40 »

You are so right about mugs. Guys, make friends with ceramicists. You won't regret it.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #121 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:45 »

I very nearly picked up a nice handmade mug at a street fair a few weeks ago..

but the record store next door had a big ol' dollar bin. *shrug*

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #122 on: 15 Oct 2010, 08:51 »

My favourite Hornsea Pottery mug:

What are those bunnies doing to each other?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #123 on: 15 Oct 2010, 09:22 »

can this thread be about tea now too? my relationship with caffeine is such that without it i would literally be the most useless member of society possible and almost completely unemployable in every way so i am always looking for new ways to introduce caffeine into my body.

i am currently having a bit of a love affair with earl grey tea and have been swapping between two flavored blends (this one and this one) from the shop downtown that i go to. the second one is so delicious i sometimes fall asleep at night all excited about making tea in the morning. that probably says more about my life than it does about tea, though.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #124 on: 15 Oct 2010, 09:31 »

Tania, we took it over. It IS about tea.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #125 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:33 »

And mugs.  Mugs of tea. 

I drink Yorkshire Tea these days; good wholesome tea, nothing fancy.  At uni I drank nothing but Lyons Orange label (no longer sold), which was pure Ceylon; people came to my room purely to have some of my tea.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:46 »

And mugs.  Mugs of tea.  

I drink Yorkshire Tea these days; good wholesome tea, nothing fancy.  At uni I drank nothing but Lyons Orange label (no longer sold), which was pure Ceylon; people came to my room purely to have some of my tea.

I'm trying to picture you as a shady college tea dealer working out of his dorm, Paul. It's pretty funny.

Jens, dude..maybe tea just gets you riled up? Have a cup and relax!

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #127 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:49 »

I just want you to know you guys aren't just any fuckin' punks.

You're my fuckin' punks.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #128 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:51 »

So what if I like punk rock?

Zingoleb

« Reply #129 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:05 »

Linguistic communities, yo. "Fucking cunt" might refer to best of pals, direst enemy, or really any degree of relationship. You can look at it like it fell on a scale of "proper to improper," but that scale (and the general account of language it's part of) is a fiction created to establish authority.

Anyway, about coffee. It's alright, but what really gets me going are coffee mugs. Specifically, handcrafted ceramic mugs. It's this particular intersection of practicality and aesthetic appeal that draws me like a moth to a flame. A good mug just feels really, really good.

Oh man, oh man, my friends make some bitchin' mugs and I have some, I'll have to take pictures when I get a camera 'cause a cell phone is NOT gonna cut this shit.

Tea/coffee/fuckin' punks, best thread.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #130 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:52 »

Dude tea is my shit. My dad made fun of me for years for drinking it and then I finally got him some of the more caffeinated stuff and he gave up coffee altogether. Honestly there really is nothing better than a steaming hot mug of tea and maybe like half a tablespoon of honey.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #131 on: 15 Oct 2010, 12:37 »

If you've got cheap bagged green tea, there's nothing better than that and a little honey, lemon juice, and bourbon for a great cozy evening drink. Or maybe just a splash of brandy, which gives it a nice floral taste. Just don't brew the tea for more than a minute.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #132 on: 15 Oct 2010, 13:03 »

guys you are my favorite fucking punks. also jens way to call fraser sean, that really confused the fuck outta me.

also guys if were gonna talk about tea now, is anybody into pu-erh? if not, you should be because pu-erh is the goddamn raddest tea, hands down.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #133 on: 15 Oct 2010, 14:23 »

Just a reminder of my little tea story from a couple of years ago:

Some fifteen years ago I brought a packet of tea back from China.  It wasn't the nicest I have had; but that was of little consequence in comparison to the message I found on a piece of paper inside the box.  I suppose these days I should scan it, but I haven't; here is a guaranteed accurate transcription:

ANXI FAMOUS TEA "TIEGUAN YIN"

Anxi Tiegusnyin tea grew up in the high mountain and pretty water, it got the natural seasonable wind and sweet dew, Suck up essence of the Sun and the moon, if gether refined made of special tradition process technological, and it's a resplendent brignt pearl, in our tea-leaves treasure-house, the King of in Oolong tea, well-knewn at home and abroad, the tea of great reputation, fame by " the natural fruit Smelling of best end induce others " " Like champagne of in the tea. "After you drunk, the guns keep fragrant end tasty, it's both can be hostile smoking and dispel the effects of alcohol, help digest, remove the worriment and greasy and can be refresh yourself and slake thirst. Elegant and pleasant, returned the taste is infinite. If you have a taste drink of the famous Tieguanyin tea, it's true a exquisite enjoy. In recent years, according to a lot of amateur by sino-foreign, they drunk for long-time, finally to prove can be prevent and cure cordiovascular diseases and nervous system and so forth Various chronic diseases. Special to lower hyperlipemia prevent fat, pravent cancer, resist cancer and soforth magical unique remarkable efficacy. Deeply appreciate by the sino-foreign Personality. This products choose to used by China 8 friendly Sight-Seeing Yera in 1992. And Won exterio design of State Patent Office Imfringement have to find out who is to blame.

Who could not enjoy tea so described?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #134 on: 15 Oct 2010, 15:50 »

Tea...honey...lemon...green...what...

FUCKING FOREIGNERS

UGH.

I remember reading somewhere that supposedly you can define someone's social class in the UK based on details of how they take tea, down to like the colour and such. I'm not sure how much sense there is in that because I am like a middle class artfag but I drink builders tea.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #135 on: 15 Oct 2010, 15:50 »

Oh man I have deja vu from the last time that there was a rather silly argument and it was diffused by mugs! And I think I bought Tania a mug as a direct result of that conversation!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #136 on: 15 Oct 2010, 16:04 »

mugs are the great equalizer

in the shiny bottoms of our empty mugs we see ourselves, and we realize...that we are all the same. Even if we're different.

or maybe they just hold our drinks, I don't fucking know. I drink out of cans most of the time anyway because it's more wasteful that way and in America, if you aren't wasting, you aren't living

yeehaw
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #137 on: 15 Oct 2010, 19:26 »

Just finished drinking a home-made coffee, about to go grab another at a local cafe with a mate.

Glad things in this thread sorted themselves out.  Maybe I'll have to put up a sign on this part of the forum: "TRESPASSERS WILL BE HARANGUED"

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #138 on: 16 Oct 2010, 06:00 »

The most recent coffee I drank was a bottle of Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout.

Holy shit.

Ho

ly

Shi

t.

Breweries always promise so much with their stout and so often fail to deliver, but this was the first beer I've ever had where I wanted to guzzle it but could only handle sipping it in tiny amounts because it was just so rich and overwhelmingly flavoursome.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #139 on: 16 Oct 2010, 17:44 »

I had a Burleigh Breweries Black Giraffe a week back. It was at a tasting so I only had a couple of small glasses but it was rather nice.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Nodaisho

« Reply #140 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:04 »

So, this thread reminded me that for a while nobody could register for this forum. What caused that, and what fixed that, and when? I missed out on the big news of it being fixed, or maybe it wasn't big news. If we are worried about cluttering up this thread, could some fucking punk message me with what happened?

This thread also made me wonder how humbling it would be for all of us to read some of the first posts we made in this forum, I know I sure wouldn't want to.

At least I'm pretty sure I managed to avoid offending people until they were more willing to tolerate me.

And this thread is really making me want some coffee, which isn't good because it is 3 AM and I need to go to sleep.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #141 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:37 »

I occasionally go back and read my first posts, if only to remind myself of how much of a better person I am now.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #143 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:04 »

Coffee? Tea? BAH!

Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

öde

« Reply #144 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:12 »

I've started drinking my coffee and my tea black with 2 spoons of sugar, mainly because I don't buy milk, partly because they taste good without.

I recommend everyone try some Matte Leão, or another Brazilian tea, because it's completely delicious. It has a very different mouthfeel?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #145 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:47 »

Coffee? Tea? BAH!

Like the fact that Subarus were invented to make sure only real men drove Holdens, that stuff was invented for the same reason.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Nodaisho

« Reply #146 on: 19 Oct 2010, 13:48 »

I've started drinking my coffee and my tea black with 2 spoons of sugar, mainly because I don't buy milk, partly because they taste good without.

I recommend everyone try some Matte Leão, or another Brazilian tea, because it's completely delicious. It has a very different mouthfeel?
Where have you been, Dan? I haven't seen you here in forever.

Holdens for real men? Then explain why Holden doesn't have a WRC team, and hasn't had one within recent history?

I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #147 on: 19 Oct 2010, 14:37 »

Uhh big Aussie v8s fighting each other shoulder to shoulder are far more manly than some prissy two litre one-at-a-time through the gardens nonsense.

(guys this argument is pretty dumb)
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

öde

« Reply #148 on: 19 Oct 2010, 17:44 »

Where have you been, Dan? I haven't seen you here in forever.

Dead, but I got bored.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #149 on: 19 Oct 2010, 21:55 »

Holdens for real men? Then explain why Holden doesn't have a WRC team, and hasn't had one within recent history?

Been too busy having real races  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPNakzHBs5A
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up