THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to talk about coffee.  (Read 42653 times)

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: I want to talk about coffee.
« Reply #150 on: 20 Oct 2010, 00:35 »

Pffft. What's the matter, you ladies can't race without your precious, precious tarmac? Get back to me when they go over a cattle guard on a 2-track sideways at 90mph.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #151 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:20 »

Unfortunately nobody really drives like that in rally any more, at least not at the top level. Ever since Sebastian Loeb came along and turned out to be incredibly fast and incredibly clean at the same time the sport's sort of lost the traditional devil-may-care sideways-through-the-corner style that marked the era of Colin McRae, Carlos Sainz, et al, and which made it the only motor sport I could ever take an interest in.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #152 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:11 »

I've recently made the switch from synthetic sugary energy drinks to black coffee. The first few days were pretty painful but now I find the coffee a whole lot more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, the reason for the switch was money so I've replaced crappy energy drinks with crappy work vending machine coffee. Thankfully the machine is free but the coffee is less than great. Frankly, it's probably worse than instant (which we also have at work) but I find instant doesn't wake me up at all.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get to is that I'd really like to try a whole variety of different coffees and coffee making techniques but it can be a bit difficult when you're saving and so on.

Equipment: at home I use one of these when I have coffee; http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Coffe_percolator_moka.jpg
It provides pretty damn nice coffee. I tend to buy Atomic, a locally ground brand. Seems good. I don't know really.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #153 on: 20 Oct 2010, 17:42 »

I'm not prejudiced against tea but I'm totally not a tea snob.  All I drink is Lipton regular tea run through my iced tea maker.  It's basically the tea equivalent of Folgers in a Mr. Coffee machine...and yet I really enjoy good coffee.  Weird.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #154 on: 20 Oct 2010, 17:47 »

I love tea but I'm not a tea snob either. I like Tetley tea bags with milk and sugar.
Unfortunately I'm stuck drinking decaf black tea for the forseeable future. Boo!

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #155 on: 20 Oct 2010, 18:30 »

Hey kids.

Can anyone else why the last cup of coffee always has really gross grains in it. I think I know the answer, in fact I do I just wanted to complain about it because I usually drink coffee fast cause I'm on the run and when I gulp this shit down I usually vomit.

King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #156 on: 20 Oct 2010, 21:16 »

Gravity is a bitch.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #157 on: 20 Oct 2010, 21:27 »

time for a new coffee maker
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #158 on: 20 Oct 2010, 22:52 »

No filter is 100% perfect, and you're always going to end up with the shit that managed to squeeze through/around it at the bottom of your cup. This problem is way more prevalent with press pots than other kinds of coffee, but it's a universal problem with pretty much all kinds of brewing methods. Just don't drink the last itty bit of your cup and you'll avoid the problem entirely.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #159 on: 20 Oct 2010, 23:37 »

a few months ago i got a job at a coffee shop that's a block away from my college's campus

based on the amount of free coffee i drink (and the fact that i'm there nearly every day, even when i don't work) i've realized that the shop is basically sponsoring education

my favorite cafe study session method is to drink the first cup quickly, the second at a moderate pace, and then when i'm already well and caffienated chill on a cappuccino till the dinner crowd comes in and i need to leave to avoid distraction. the coffee: dark roast. the capp: dry.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #160 on: 21 Oct 2010, 00:12 »

This problem is way more prevalent with press pots than other kinds of coffee,

Too many people force the press down too soon, and the grounds get pushed up round the edges.  You should wait until the grounds sink naturally when you tap the glass - then you can push the plunger down easily, and the grounds don't get past it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nodaisho

« Reply #161 on: 21 Oct 2010, 00:35 »

So that's what my friend always does wrong. He's got one of those one-cup push-presses, and there are always a lot of grains coming out of it, as well as making a mess on the counter. I figured it was just a terrible coffee maker.

My dad has one that has a bucket reservoir rather than a pot, which is really nice. It is tall enough that you can get even big travel cups underneath it, and you don't have to worry about losing any coffee by pouring while it is still dripping like you do with a pot.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #162 on: 21 Oct 2010, 00:56 »

I don't know if it's too late for this but

Coffee.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #163 on: 21 Oct 2010, 15:21 »

This problem is way more prevalent with press pots than other kinds of coffee,

Too many people force the press down too soon, and the grounds get pushed up round the edges.  You should wait until the grounds sink naturally when you tap the glass - then you can push the plunger down easily, and the grounds don't get past it.

The most common mistake I see in press pot brewing is an uneven press, not a premature one. It's important to press down firmly, with even pressure and as close to vertical as you can get. Although timing does have something to do with it, I'd rather see someone time a french press for the bean, rather than timing it to make pressing easier.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #164 on: 21 Oct 2010, 15:56 »

Out of respect for everyone I have not posted teh Aesop Rock/John Darnielle track named Coffee but I think we are headed the way to Youtube-land fairly fast here

psshhh wahhaa??

I consider it disrespectful to NOT share that amazing track with the world, and anyone who hasn't heard it. Especially when it is so relevent to the thread at hand.

coffee
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #165 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:36 »

I have an on/off caffine addiction, I quit smoking but I can't seem to kick my coffee habbit.
it plays havok with my digestion though, I went to a cafe nero with a book and had two drinks. their coffees are like, a strong coffe with a double espresso thrown in, and I literally shit myself

as far as tea goes I like it stewed, I don't take the teabag out until i've finished drinking it
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #166 on: 29 Oct 2010, 13:06 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #167 on: 29 Oct 2010, 13:10 »

So to memecombine a bit here, is it faux pas, or acceptable, or even completely normal to brew loose leaf tea in a French press/coffee plunger?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #168 on: 29 Oct 2010, 17:36 »

I was served loose-leaf tea in a French press at a sushi restaurant last week!  It was the first time I'd ever seen it done, but honestly now I can't understand why not... it made tasty, even-flavored tea that didn't have bits of leaves in it.

I would imagine two potential problems:

1. Most French presses are glass and tall, which means they probably drop in temperature much more quickly than a big ceramic teapot in a cozy.  IIRC, proper British tea requires keeping the water at as-close-to-boiling-as-possible for a few minutes.

2. It's not really possible to take the leaves out until you finish the pot.  Leaving the leaves in could make bitter tea, I think.  At least if you're brewing particular types of tea.

But I liked it.  So there.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #169 on: 29 Oct 2010, 18:22 »

1) and 2) are both excellent points, Elizzybeth! For what it's worth, I was using a small plunger that only made one cup at a time so there was no problem with over-brewing the tea remaining in the plunger, and I usually warmed the plunger with hot water before brewing the tea so that the water stayed closer to boiling for longer than if it was hitting cold glass. Not a perfect solution but it worked alright.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #170 on: 29 Oct 2010, 19:32 »

Most french presses are made of Pyrex, not glass, which keeps heat much better than a glass container -- if you're still worried about heat dispersion, pre-heat the press pot with hot water (205F) for a minute before you add the tea.

With regards to over-brewing tea, that's what the plunger is for. Just time your tea (3-5 minutes for green, 5-7 for black) with the plunger resting loosely on top of the tea, then plunge and serve. Your tea will keep piping hot and won't over-brew.

To answer the original question, it is not only totally acceptable but also an awesome way to drink tea! We serve all our tea in press pots along with a timer and a cup 'n saucer, and although we tend to get some funny looks it also makes for a really nice tea experience.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #171 on: 30 Oct 2010, 10:25 »

The timer is a fantastic touch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up