THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OkCupid: Internet dating for people who never commit to anything  (Read 11823 times)

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

I reactivated my account in order to find a friend of a friend's profile for his amusement. I figure that while I had it reactivated I may as well talk to some people.

So far I am having rather reasonable and intelligent conversations with a couple of guys and one guy I plan on meeting in a week and a half seems pretty decent! (although this may be awkward seeing as how I am trying to get back together with my ex and dating other guys probably wont help that situation).

One guy this time around really pissed me off and I have a copy of our very last chat here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10659967/WTFDUDE.pdf

Up until that point we had been having really great chats! It just goes to show that a 92% match does not take into account people being douchebags.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Barmymoo

• Mentat

He just sounds like a massive showoff, like "look at me, I can use long words like postulate!" and also like he feels you ought to meet up with him and take your clothes off, regardless of how much of an ass he is.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Postulate is only three syllables long . . .

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston

Point stands, dude was basically speaking in pompous academic language whilst trying to persuade an internet woman to get naked for him.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

(I haven't actually clicked on the link. Don't tell anyone.)

Lines

• Awakened

I was more annoyed by the fact that he was saying she wouldn't get naked because she's a geek girl. I know lots of geeky girls. Most of them really like being naked. Especially with boys!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I have an account there, and as of a week and a half ago, have been fairly active. I've had the account since high school (7 years now) and have met a total of 5 people. When I first joined it was for the quizzes as I was dating someone. Then I ignored it for years. Then just before I met my current boyfriend, I found two pretty awesome guys - who just wanted some action. I was okay with that at the time. Unfortunately neither turned into anything long term but that's how it goes. One guy had a TMNT-themed room at age 26 so maybe that's for the best.

Anyway, this time around I was bored and went on, and found out that there's an IM system. It's kind of annoying. I had to set up filters. I'm in an open relationship but looking for a specific kind of FWB - which most men don't read, they just see casual sex and think OH MAN FREE VAGOO. So I met one really awesome guy, who is of course a sailor and out to sea for the next 4 months so that sucks. I met two others this past weekend. The first one was not half as hot as his pictures made him out to be. He was also dorkier and more Jewish than I am. Nice guy, but that won't go anywhere. The other guy was just terrifying. Started talking about rape fantasies and such and then I was done with that. Of course he left his DVD at my house so now I have to speak to him again.

Aside from them, I've met a few great people to talk to online. I think, if I dug deeply enough and really put effort into it, I could find someone to date - if I wanted to. I never take sites like that seriously, and I think that's a good stance to have. At least it's better than the furry personals website I'm on (yes I'm a furry, no I'm really not half as creepy as you think I am), as that one apparently invites the absolute weirdest people ever to contact me. And that's by furry standards. Think about THAT.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!

I was more annoyed by the fact that he was saying she wouldn't get naked because she's a geek girl. I know lots of geeky girls. Most of them really like being naked. Especially with boys!

I am way more likely to take my clothes off around geeky boys (or girls) than otherwise.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I am way more likely to take my clothes off around geeky boys (or girls) than otherwise.

Hear, hear.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

What? Why would they even bother? Like, profile completion?

I'm not really sure.  They send me a single message, I send a message replying to theirs, and that's the end of it.

Lines

• Awakened

Yeah, I got a lot of "Hi" messages. I didn't bother responding to them, because if you actually want to talk to someone, say something worthwhile!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Point stands, dude was basically speaking in pompous academic language whilst trying to persuade an internet woman to get naked for him.

I'm not sure I understand his methods, either. I don't usually tell women that I no longer really think they're worth effort. Seems kinda rude. Maybe it only makes sense to people who think "gamer girl" is an outright personality type rather than a vague stereotype.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man

I went on one okcupid and he never saw me again because I was too tall.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

I feel like the real problem with that message exchange was that he wasn't really having a conversation with jmrz so much as making occasional concessions to her while speaking to his imaginary audience/vanity daemon.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

The part that got me was the thing about stats. "Oh, stats say that I am not going to get to meet with girls from the internet and it totally has nothing to do with me being a complete douchebag at all or for being shallow, IT IS TOTALLY THE STATS"

Ugh.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

also if he was trying to prove how smart he was by flaunting his knowledge of statistics i have to burst his bubble by pointing out that even i know how to do stats and i have been known to eat things off the floor on a semi-regular basis
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

thelightguy

• Larger than most fish
  • xx

Ah, but do you spend your time trying to figure out the exact probabilities of meeting a girl from the internet?  It's a fact that only smart guys spend their time doing such rigorous math.  All the other guys waste their time with more frivolous pursuits.  Like meeting girls from the internet.
bye

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!

I feel like the real problem with that message exchange was that he wasn't really having a conversation with jmrz so much as making occasional concessions to her while speaking to his imaginary audience/vanity daemon.

Let's be honest here. This way of flirting works all the time, whether or not it makes you a douche.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

I mean, yeah probably. I guess it might not be the method so much as the guy. The application of the method rather than the method itself. It's not very genuine, but i guess authenticity is not exactly the most effective way to flirt with strangers.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!

I once said "it's so sexy when you see right through me" to a girl I'd never met before on AIM (we met on Facebook through a mutual friend) and we ended up dating for nine months.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2010, 16:40 by Ballard »
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music

oh god, that line just made me literally laugh out loud.

(keep this in mind next time you attempt to flirt with me)
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

this may be awkward seeing as how I am trying to get back together with my ex and dating other guys probably wont help that situation

What you're supposed to do is make sure your ex knows about it so that he gets jealous. That's totally how it works.

Quote from: okcupid guy
I was talking about the actual results of that personality. Rather than the personality, or reasons for it.

How did you keep chatting so long? Or rather, why did you keep chatting? Conversation like this would make me want to punch him through the internet. This isn't a deposition, it's a fucking dating site.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2010, 06:00 by jhocking »

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

No, my ex does not need to know. Although if he notices the bite marks/hickey on my neck he might ask about what I was up to on the weekend and then he might find out.

In relation to the second question, I have no idea. I wanted to see if he redeemed himself? I did want to punch him through the internet, it made me really angry. Up until that conversation, we'd been chatting and flirting and it was okay and fun! So I guess I just gave him the benefit of the doubt for a little while, but then it got worse and I just gave up.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

"I fell into a door neck-first. Really!"

ALTERNATIVELY: "I was at a political rally and a guy from the other side attempted to strangle me. Really!"

Graphite

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • the final frontier?!

You could always curl your hair and then very lightly burn the area with the curling iron.

...Or don't do that.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

"I was attacked by a snake but fortunately I happen to have natural immunity to that particular toxin. Really!"

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

You could always curl your hair and then very lightly burn the area with the curling iron.

...Or don't do that.

Actually, they're only tiny so that excuse might work without having to purposefully burn myself. Excellent.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up