"I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlOW!"
- 3 (7.9%)
Dolphins are RAPISTS!
- 2 (5.3%)
Who cares - THE BOOK IS OUT!
- 6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 18-22 Oct 2010 (1776-1780)  (Read 85714 times)

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
Re: WCDT: 18-22 Oct 2010
« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:00 »

I sense some QC/Dresden Codak crossover possibilities with this strip, but they will probably stay only possibilities due to the completely different update schedule.   :|
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #51 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:06 »

Someone call for a sexy robotic elohim for guidance...?

:angel:

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #52 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:16 »

GOOGLE IT

What did you think was the first thing I tried ?????
Carpe Diem

westrim

« Reply #53 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:31 »

What did you think was the first thing I tried ?????

Then perhaps you should have said so. The wikipedia definition was the second link for me.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #54 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:47 »

Err.

I know what a singularity is.

I dont need to look that one up ...

But what I dont know is what kind of singularity happened yesterday. LHC didnt have any, for example. Thats why I'm confused.
Carpe Diem

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #56 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:37 »

I don't think the comic is referencing any specific thing that happened in A.I. research or what have you that supposedly brings us all closer to the event. Because there doesn't appear to have been any new breakthrough in that area in the last week, let alone the last day (yes, I Googled. Google Newsed, to be precise, since I was already familiar with the "singularity" concept).

Rather, given Jeph's tweets, which showed he was having trouble coming up with a script until quite late, I figure he just went with an all-AnthroPC strip because they're faster to draw. Save himself the trouble. I don't blame him.

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #57 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:26 »

Yeah. I know what the Singularity is of course, but I had to google (and wikipedia) elohim. A Hebrew word for god apparently. Eh? I still don't think I'm getting the joke.

I believe the Elohim Jeph is referring to here is more in the category of "angel", as in one of the ranks of angels, among the cherubim and seraphim.  Still admittedly a bit esoteric.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #58 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:26 »

I didn't have to look up either singularity or elohim. I got the joke: the Robotic Rapture* has come and gone, and Pintsize has nothing to show for it, not even a lousy t-shirt.

But for some reason I started thinking of Neon Genesis Evangelion and the 'intelligent soup' the Human Instrumentality Project is supposed to want to turn people into. And there you go; another obscure bit of humor only less of both.

(Oh, and it's spelled 'Signularity' on Winslow's screen 'cuz it ain't really, yet, if you follow me. Have I stomped the humor flat out of this yet?)

*Some folks might not get this. Google The Rapture. The article is very important.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #59 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:32 »

Or we could go with the e-cake, complain that it's a lie, and go find GLADOS with her song .

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #60 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:48 »

Does this mean tomorrow will be a cybertronically-enhanced Angus cybergroping Faye's thought-boobs?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #61 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:18 »

We all know different things, so a series of jokes that everyone gets straight off is liable to become somewhat anodyne.  I often have to look things up to get everything in QC (not today, though!), and generally feel that I have benefited from the extra info rather than been inconvenienced by needing to look it up.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 05:20 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #62 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:19 »

It doesn't even have to be jokes.  QC is populated by 20-something characters, written by a 20-something author (where "something" = "10"), and I've learned alot many things about 20-something culture, enabling me to surprise my 22-year-old daughter more than once since I started reading QC.  (And, incidentally, leaving my wife dumbfounded.)  And, yes, I've had to resort to Google.
How do I get one of those brooms?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #63 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:29 »

What OTHER things should you not mix?

Oil with water.    - 0 (0%)
Cats and dogs.    - 3 (6.8%)
Lions and lambs.    - 2 (4.5%)
Sven and anything blonde with a skirt.    - 16 (36.4%)
Hanners and garbage cans.    - 2 (4.5%)
Faye and Miss Manners.    - 6 (13.6%)
Penelope and Rick Warren.    - 5 (11.4%)
Waffles and worms.    - 6 (13.6%)
Acid and alkali.    - 3 (6.8%)
Asps and burgers.    - 1 (2.3%)

Total Voters: 44
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 06:34 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #64 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:22 »

Should be "Computers will make Jeph draw QC for them."
All strips will thereafter feature Pintsize, Winslow, Momo-tan, PT410x, and sometimes Deathbot 9000. The annoying humans who serve them will make occasional appearances when nothing important is occurring within the existences of these superior beings.

I, for one, will welcome our new AI overlords—at least until I find a way to reprogram them with a very large axe.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #65 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:30 »

It doesn't even have to be jokes.  QC is populated by 20-something characters, written by a 20-something author (where "something" = "10"), and I've learned alot many things about 20-something culture, enabling me to surprise my 22-year-old daughter more than once since I started reading QC.  (And, incidentally, leaving my wife dumbfounded.)  And, yes, I've had to resort to Google.

It's been like a fountain of youth for me, too.  OK, well, at least it's kept me more in touch than my kids and their friends ever would.  Or my students.  

I've also gained a great deal of respect for Wikipedia!  

Oh yeah, and I knew both singularity and Elohim.  I think they both show up in the Illuminatus! trilogy, along with a lot of intellectual puns, John Dillinger, and the Leviathan.  I think it's pretty dated now, but could be a good read still - I haven't seen it since I read it as a teenager in the 70's.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LeGrande

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #66 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:56 »

Between QC, xkcd, LICD, iTunes' free offerings each Tuesday, and a BingMusic app for my iPhone, I am able to surprise my music appreciation students by being somewhat up to date on styles and trends.

That said, my favorite internet radio station is still www.rootsofrock.us

I'd heard of the singularity, but was unaware that yesterday was supposed to be *the* day it happened.

ColonyShipForSale_Cheap

« Reply #67 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:17 »

I desperately want a Happy Singularity! e-cake t-shirt.  I'm broke as hell, but I'll figure out a way to buy 2!  :-)

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #68 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:21 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Sexy Robot Elohim has to be Six. It just makes sense.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #69 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:24 »

Wait, what was that conference Jeph spoke at?  Maybe that's what triggered the singularity. 

Or at least the comic. 

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #70 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:39 »

I didn't have to look up either singularity or elohim. I got the joke: the Robotic Rapture* has come and gone, and Pintsize has nothing to show for it, not even a lousy t-shirt.

THANK YOU.  I got it right away and was surprised others didn't -- Pintsize sort of explains it in his rant in panel 3 anyway.  Even without knowing what "elohim" means, he's fairly descriptive.  I'm gonna guess that the reason for the misspelling on Winslow's e-cake is due to the influence of the ubiquitous lolcats.  I love Pintsize's angry face in the last panel, heh heh.   :-D  And yay, we finally get to see Winslow again!

Does this mean tomorrow will be a cybertronically-enhanced Angus cybergroping Faye's thought-boobs?

YES.  The sensation will go on for infinity, in binary.  And the front window of CoD will become the Donkey Kong win screen . . .

Not my type, but by all means enjoy.   :wink:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #71 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:48 »

The Singularity will not be televised.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #72 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:00 »

The Singularity is just nerd messianism. A couple of months ago PZ Myers took on Ray Kurzweil's ideas about the singularity, including his belief that strong AI is within the foreseeable future of computing technology. Since PZ happens to specialize in neural development, he's somewhat more qualified than most to talk about the possibility of strong AI, and to say that we don't know what we don't know about the matter is perhaps being overly polite about the matter.

The downside is that we won't be getting Winslow or Momo any time soon. The upside: no Pintsize either.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #73 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:18 »

...*facepalm* I can only respond with two words:

GOOGLE IT

Seriously guys...  :cry: When you've looked it up and come back, then we'll talk.

And no, no one tell them. If they can't make that minuscule effort they don't need to know.

...no, it's so much more satisfying to display you're ignorance and self-importance by getting all butt-hurt because you didn't get the joke.

Okay, can I request that we stop directing such hostility at people who ask questions?  Especially since the knowledge of what a singularity is doesn't invalidate the question of what "the" singularity is in this case.  The above-quoted posts are just mean-spirited, uncalled-for, and make for an uncomfortable atmosphere on the forum.

Even with the help of Google, the meaning of today's comic is unclear and even if it wasn't, there's no reason to belittle people for stating that they don't get it.  I don't come on this forum very often, but it would be nice if I could visit without fear of being insulted for asking what I consider to be innocuous questions.

Google is an excellent resource for knowledge of anything and everything you can imagine, (and some things you'd rather not imagine)  ;)  but there's no reason this forum can't be treated as a resource for knowledge about the comic.  I mean why wouldn't it be?

westrim

« Reply #74 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:21 »

Yeah. I know what the Singularity is of course, but I had to google (and wikipedia) elohim. A Hebrew word for god apparently. Eh? I still don't think I'm getting the joke.

A joke that requires an encyclopaedia to understand, is arguably less successful than one that tickles the funny-bone immediately. XKCD walks this tightrope every strip, but I find it more accessible than today's QC, having studied more mathematics and science than Hebrew.

First, damn you for linking to TV Tropes. Second, yeah it's pretty much another term for god, although I've mostly seen it used in reference to Jesus in The Salvation War (Google will just link you to the TV Tropes page for that, too, so damn me, I guess.  :-P) But even if the term wasn't familiar, it was pretty obviously something messianic from context, so I guess he was leaning on that.

Yeah, I really didn't even LQTM.  

I read it... and nothing.  So I looked up "the singularity" theory... and I guess if you're really into hardcore science-fiction it means something?  I dunno.  I'm only into sci-fi melodrama (Star Trek, Star Wars), so I guess I don't count.  I don't even really "The Singularity" as being possible - but I'm sure I'm thinking about it too much, so I shan't go on about it.

But yeah, the only thing I found humorous was Winslow's nonplussed reaction to such a momentous event.

And the purposeful misspelling?  Can someone explain that?  I'm honestly just stumped about the whole thing, as this THE FIRST qc comic that I really just don't get, not even a little bit.

WELL anyway, it's only one comic, life goes on.
:-o Really, anything that isn't far future (or past) with spaceships is "hardcore scifi?" Much scifi dealing with near future changes brings up the singularity, if often not by name. It's especially popular with people interested in technology and it's evolution, since so far there's been a clear progression with no signs of slowing. Everything you needed to know to get the gist was in the third panel anyway.

I dunno about the typo, though.

I guess this kind of lack of clarity is bound to happen occasionally when he starts so late.

EDIT: Crap, I wrote the above last night, but I apparently posted only part of it. Posting, then reading the thread.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 11:23 by westrim »

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #75 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:27 »

Thank you, Tormuse. Beat me to it.

That giant "GOOGLE IT" is so fucking ostentatious too...

westrim

« Reply #76 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:45 »

But what I dont know is what kind of singularity happened yesterday. LHC didnt have any, for example. Thats why I'm confused.

When you see a familiar term used in an unfamiliar way, look it up.  And why are you assuming that a fictional comic in a fictional universe is going to respond to real world events?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno logical_singularity

Hey, I said no telling!

I don't think the comic is referencing any specific thing that happened in A.I. research or what have you that supposedly brings us all closer to the event. Because there doesn't appear to have been any new breakthrough in that area in the last week, let alone the last day (yes, I Googled. Google Newsed, to be precise, since I was already familiar with the "singularity" concept).

Rather, given Jeph's tweets, which showed he was having trouble coming up with a script until quite late, I figure he just went with an all-AnthroPC strip because they're faster to draw. Save himself the trouble. I don't blame him.

Plus, they live in an alternate universe. And yes, that seems to me a plausible explanation.

Right before they finally have cyber coitus?

We all know different things, so a series of jokes that everyone gets straight off is liable to become somewhat anodyne.  I often have to look things up to get everything in QC (not today, though!), and generally feel that I have benefited from the extra info rather than been inconvenienced by needing to look it up.

And lets not forget that the strip used to regularly reference indie bands that a large majority of its readers had probably never heard of. Come to think of it, why did he stop doing that?

It doesn't even have to be jokes.  QC is populated by 20-something characters, written by a 20-something author (where "something" = "10"), and I've learned alot many things about 20-something culture, enabling me to surprise my 22-year-old daughter more than once since I started reading QC.  (And, incidentally, leaving my wife dumbfounded.)  And, yes, I've had to resort to Google.

It's been like a fountain of youth for me, too.  OK, well, at least it's kept me more in touch than my kids and their friends ever would.  Or my students.  

I've also gained a great deal of respect for Wikipedia!  

Oh yeah, and I knew both singularity and Elohim.  I think they both show up in the Illuminatus! trilogy, along with a lot of intellectual puns, John Dillinger, and the Leviathan.  I think it's pretty dated now, but could be a good read still - I haven't seen it since I read it as a teenager in the 70's.  

Welcome, older denizens! In the name of younger folk, I greet you!

It could be Baltar too, if you want a different gender of messiah.

Okay, can I request that we stop directing such hostility at people who ask questions?  Especially since the knowledge of what a singularity is doesn't invalidate the question of what "the" singularity is in this case.  The above-quoted posts are just mean-spirited, uncalled-for, and make for an uncomfortable atmosphere on the forum.

Even with the help of Google, the meaning of today's comic is unclear and even if it wasn't, there's no reason to belittle people for stating that they don't get it.  I don't come on this forum very often, but it would be nice if I could visit without fear of being insulted for asking what I consider to be innocuous questions.

Google is an excellent resource for knowledge of anything and everything you can imagine, (and some things you'd rather not imagine)  ;)  but there's no reason this forum can't be treated as a resource for knowledge about the comic.  I mean why wouldn't it be?

Nope. I mean, you can ask, but I won't comply I'm fine with people asking questions, but asking questions while clearly showing that you did not put the slightest effort into finding the answer before asking is rightfully ridiculed. If they were asking about the comic, that would be okay. It would also be fine if they asked about it saying "I don't get it and google didn't help. Wth are they talking about?" But this, asking us about a term obviously not native to the comic, is annoying and should be treated as such.

But it got your attention, didn't it? I dislike people messing with font sizes/colors (there's someone here that makes every post yellow), but occasionally it's useful for emphasis.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #77 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:06 »

At least no one's done this yet.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=technological+singularity

Edit: Oh darn. Now I have.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #78 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:23 »

but no, it's so much more satisfying to display you're ignorance and self-importance by getting all butt-hurt because you didn't get the joke.
I very much would like to know how you managed to extrapolate "self-importance" OR "butt-hurt" from a person not bothering to Google something.

And speaking of displaying ignorance, "you're". :-P

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #79 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:26 »

westrim

« Reply #80 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:53 »

At least no one's done this yet.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=technological+singularity
Edit: Oh darn. Now I have.
I always forget about that site.

I very much would like to know how you managed to extrapolate "self-importance" OR "butt-hurt" from a person not bothering to Google something.
Self importance because they expect others to do the explaining for them rather than seeking it themselves, butthurt because any joke they don't get is automatically bad or less worthy somehow.

Lol, as if desktops will be around for the singularity.

Though I'm actually not one of the ones looking forward to it, first because it's still hypothetical and there are enormous boundaries to overcome, and second because it is inevitable that some people will still get left behind if it does happen (even if of their own volition). The divide between rich and poor is already a pain in the ass- what about a divide between immortal and mortal or physical and virtual?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #81 on: 19 Oct 2010, 13:31 »

Major technological changes are always thirty years away.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 13:34 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #82 on: 19 Oct 2010, 14:21 »

Actually, that's a pretty old comic. 

Though I'm actually not one of the ones looking forward to it, first because it's still hypothetical and there are enormous boundaries to overcome, and second because it is inevitable that some people will still get left behind if it does happen (even if of their own volition). The divide between rich and poor is already a pain in the ass- what about a divide between immortal and mortal or physical and virtual?

Major technological changes are always thirty years away.

Nothing goes the way we imagine it will.  Some things go the way some people imagine - Gene Roddenberry imagined flip open communicators and look, we got flip phones.  People work on medical scanners because  they saw tricorders when they were kids, and so some things will come true.  But the stuff that makes it is only the practical stuff.  No flying cars - we're having enough trouble with the grounded ones.  Jet packs?  They can go so  wrong.  The stabilizer control goes out, and you wind up slammed headfirst into the pavement.  No thanks. 

But look at what's being done with nerve control of artificial limbs, and you'll find that the singularity's a lot closer than you thought.  But it's for people who need it.  We'll continue to be born human, and as Westrim points out, there will always be the have-nots and the want-nots, regardless of the potential of "mecha-me" or floating clouds of intelligence. 

So don't hold your breath! 

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #83 on: 19 Oct 2010, 14:25 »

No reason to assume they won't. There will be a lot fewer in the future, and most of the ones you will see will look like Mac minis (or thinner), but gamers, media people, and HPC are keeping the desktop form factor alive despite the dominance of laptops in the market because such people need the expandability and interchangeability of parts.

That's actually a thing that bothers me about futurists -- they have all these great ideas (arcologies, digital radio replacing analog, frequency-hopping radio broadcasts, "smart" kitchens) but they never stop to think that a) their target audience may not be interested or able to afford them or b) that they have to compete with immense installed bases for a lot of older technologies that are still perfectly suitable for their needs. After all, I could get a smart kitchen, but I don't have to worry about DRM or power outages with a cookbook. The arcology thing is another idea -- okay, which city do we tear down first? (See Boston, 1960s for what happens when people try to do ground-up urban renewal.) I mean, I can come up with a pretty good idea for what an ideal 21st century city would look like, but where would I build it, who would fund it, and how would I get people to move there in the first place?

See, this is why I think the Singularity fundamentally is a meaningless concept. If you want to look at a reasonable approximation of what the future might look like, Star Trek ain't it. Think "My Life as a Teenage Robot". Think "Babylon 5". Think "Star Wars". Hell, even QC is a pretty good approximation of what the near future is likely to be like.

It's all fun and such to speculate about transhumanism, but it's meaningless to make any predictions about it without any real knowledge of how to get there. The researchers who work on things that might lead down that path are mostly doing it because it's cool, and it appears in so much SF because it's cool. The only people who treat it as Serious Business are futurists, and they're kind of dumb.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #84 on: 19 Oct 2010, 14:33 »

Some things go the way some people imagine - Gene Roddenberry imagined flip open communicators and look, we got flip phones.  People work on medical scanners because  they saw tricorders when they were kids, and so some things will come true.  But the stuff that makes it is only the practical stuff.  No flying cars - we're having enough trouble with the grounded ones.  Jet packs?  They can go so  wrong.  The stabilizer control goes out, and you wind up slammed headfirst into the pavement.  No thanks. 

Except the flip phone was an intentional mimicking of the Star Trek communicator, just like you said about tricorders. Giving Roddenberry credit for the prediction is a little off.

But look at what's being done with nerve control of artificial limbs, and you'll find that the singularity's a lot closer than you thought.  But it's for people who need it.  We'll continue to be born human, and as Westrim points out, there will always be the have-nots and the want-nots, regardless of the potential of "mecha-me" or floating clouds of intelligence. 

So don't hold your breath! 

I don't think artificial limbs are Singularity-related at all, at least no more than Deep Blue's victory over Garry Kasparov. They're interesting from a biomechanical perspective, but all they do is restore function that's been lost. If you want to think in more transhumanist terms, think about what it would take to install a tail. Not only would the beginning of the tail have to be clamped to your coccyx (and probably sacrum as well), but in order to have a functioning prehensile tail, you'd also have to attach some pretty heavy-duty anchoring to the pelvic bone to keep from ripping your spine out when you're hanging from the roof truss of a high school gym. A permanent augmentation is transhumanist, but an artificial limb isn't.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #85 on: 19 Oct 2010, 14:41 »

The thing about singularities is that people always seem to misunderstand what they're about. Realise this: one of the first singularities (there have been several) humanity experienced was the development of agriculture.

Universal streaming comms and instantaneous access to off-brain knowledge might well be our singularity, but no-one will be sure until a couple generations down the line.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

AsinineAxioms

• Plantmonster
  • Longtime Lurker
    • Asinine Axioms
« Reply #86 on: 19 Oct 2010, 15:01 »

I don't think there's a need to psychoanalyze any potential deep, hidden meaning of today's strip. As far as I understand it, this comic is simply an allusion to the video game Portal, in which the player is told several times that "the cake is a lie." So the irony here would simply be that Winslow does not realize that the so-called "singularity" that supposedly occurred was actually a fictional event, or more likely, a prank. It would also explain why the word "singularity" is misspelled in the fourth panel, which according to Jeph's newspost, is intentional. :psyduck:

westrim

« Reply #87 on: 19 Oct 2010, 16:23 »

No reason to assume they won't. There will be a lot fewer in the future, and most of the ones you will see will look like Mac minis (or thinner), but gamers, media people, and HPC are keeping the desktop form factor alive despite the dominance of laptops in the market because such people need the expandability and interchangeability of parts.

I thought my next words made it clear that that wasn't my perspective. It's one of the tenets of belief in the singularity that among many things, desktops will die out in the next ten years or so (yes, I'm intentionally making it sound religious). It wasn't something to (over)analyze.

That said,I do agree with most of your analysis. There will be cyborgs, but they'll be unfortunates that got a limb accidentally lopped off, not willing subjects, for example.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #88 on: 19 Oct 2010, 16:47 »

I thought my next words made it clear that that wasn't my perspective. It's one of the tenets of belief in the singularity that among many things, desktops will die out in the next ten years or so (yes, I'm intentionally making it sound religious). It wasn't something to (over)analyze.

That said,I do agree with most of your analysis. There will be cyborgs, but they'll be unfortunates that got a limb accidentally lopped off, not willing subjects, for example.

But I loooooove overanalysis :-)

And you know how I know you're right? I don't see too many track and field athletes getting their legs chopped off so they can use running prostheses.

You know what else is fun to overanalyze? Supersoldiers. They gotta retire sometime...

Random Wanderer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #89 on: 19 Oct 2010, 17:04 »

Nope. I mean, you can ask, but I won't comply I'm fine with people asking questions, but asking questions while clearly showing that you did not put the slightest effort into finding the answer before asking is rightfully ridiculed. If they were asking about the comic, that would be okay. It would also be fine if they asked about it saying "I don't get it and google didn't help. Wth are they talking about?" But this, asking us about a term obviously not native to the comic, is annoying and should be treated as such.

But it got your attention, didn't it? I dislike people messing with font sizes/colors (there's someone here that makes every post yellow), but occasionally it's useful for emphasis.

But your response was not even suited to the question they were asking. No amount of Google-searching would have answered their question, because it was not "what is a singularity" but "what was the specific event that Winslow and Pintsize are talking about, which happened yesterday, and qualified as the singularity?" So not only were you insulting, you were incorrect, because you were insulting them over asking a question they hadn't even asked.

In short you made a fool of yourself by making a big deal about a topic that no one else was even talking about at the time. That is another reason why one shouldn't resort to outbursts like that. If you don't accept politeness as a reason, at least you should accept self-interest.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #90 on: 19 Oct 2010, 17:24 »

It could be Baltar too, if you want a different gender of messiah.

Mmmm, Gaius. Nothing of consequence to add, other than he was the only reason I watched any amount of BSG.

But since Pintsize leans hetero, it's probably Six.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #91 on: 19 Oct 2010, 18:49 »

You know what else is fun to overanalyze? Supersoldiers. They gotta retire sometime...

Captain America and Nick Fury will only retire when the Red Skull and Hatemonger are finally dead.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #92 on: 19 Oct 2010, 19:30 »

Hannelore can't be the Cybernetic Princess Queen, that's Kimiko's job/destiny.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #93 on: 19 Oct 2010, 19:47 »

Can she be a cyborg-in-waiting?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #94 on: 19 Oct 2010, 20:01 »

Hannelore can't be the Cybernetic Princess Queen, that's Kimiko's job/destiny.
I forgot the exact quote, thanks for reminding me.
Just another Joe like 46

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #95 on: 19 Oct 2010, 22:13 »

Okay, can I request that we stop directing such hostility at people who ask questions?  Especially since the knowledge of what a singularity is doesn't invalidate the question of what "the" singularity is in this case.  The above-quoted posts are just mean-spirited, uncalled-for, and make for an uncomfortable atmosphere on the forum.

Even with the help of Google, the meaning of today's comic is unclear and even if it wasn't, there's no reason to belittle people for stating that they don't get it.  I don't come on this forum very often, but it would be nice if I could visit without fear of being insulted for asking what I consider to be innocuous questions.

Google is an excellent resource for knowledge of anything and everything you can imagine, (and some things you'd rather not imagine)  ;)  but there's no reason this forum can't be treated as a resource for knowledge about the comic.  I mean why wouldn't it be?

I disagree.  I don't find it annoying.  In fact, I'd say it's a perfectly logical question to ask, considering this is a thread specifically designed for discussing the comic.  I guarantee you that the people who posted those questions weren't the only ones who didn't get the comic.  Someone has to be the first one to ask the question in order to get the ball rolling in terms of discussion.  Why would you ridicule someone simply for being the first person to ask it?  For that matter, why do you find the question so annoying?

It did get people's attention, but useful for what exactly?  It certainly created an air of irritation and discomfort as I indicated above, but it didn't answer the question or prove that you had the answer or means of finding it.  The way I see it, all it did was insult people without contributing any useful information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno logical_singularity

Hey, I said no telling!

What a coincidence!  I also made a request today that wasn't complied with.  Life's unfair, eh?   :lol:
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 22:18 by Tormuse »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #96 on: 20 Oct 2010, 00:13 »

Great mental imagery Tai.

That's gonna cramp Marten's style tonight.   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

srpilha

• Not quite a lurker
  • composer, researcher (no, srsly)
« Reply #97 on: 20 Oct 2010, 00:20 »

my, how crude the comic today, eh?  :lol:

I'm a little surprised at Tai's comment; I mean, Dora wouldn't be the first bi or straight woman she'd go down on, would she?
(Also surprised Marten hadn't thought of it before. Has any guy not thought of that? And why is it / should it be a problem?)

If you're going to be haunted by the ghosts of jizzes past, you're in for a difficult sex life.  :-D
Eggplant casserole tonight?
Why, yes!

Promethean Sky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #98 on: 20 Oct 2010, 00:24 »

[insert deity here]DAMMIT JEPH! The comic was bad enough, but did that really have to be the title text. I was eating a bagel with cream cheese!
Well I thought it was funny.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #99 on: 20 Oct 2010, 00:26 »

There must be a reason why Tai is the character that I like least. She does seem to be rather self-centered. Today's comic doesn't make it any easier to think otherwise.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up