THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 02:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favorite musical effect?  (Read 15308 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: What's your favorite musical effect?
« Reply #50 on: 04 Nov 2010, 18:29 »

Cheers for the link
I doubt if anyone's used a real Leslie cabinet for a decade or more, I think almost all effects are done digitally these days. Shame

I want to take a closer look at the Leslie that they have at the church I used to play with in Oakland. Old as shit and the speaker horn speed switch needs to be fixed but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh god that thing is lush as fuck. I really want to fix it and connect my Jag to it. Strats are cool and all but I really really want to hear "Little Wing" on my Jag.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

NotAFanOfFenders

• The German Chancellory building
  • even furrier
« Reply #51 on: 13 Nov 2010, 18:08 »

Strats are my least favourite musical effect ever ( :mrgreen:).

pstrealer

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2010, 01:31 »

Not so much an effect as an "actually making use of the equipment". Actually USING stereo mixing to add location to the instrumentation, instead of just blasting everything equally ala entirely too many bands(essentially mono despite having stereo or better hardware). Just setting all the "pan" knobs on the mixing board to dead center is half-assing it, the only exception to which is if you're using panning and stereo as a jury-rigged way to get in-ears working for everyone on stage because of gremlins.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #53 on: 29 Nov 2010, 05:14 »

I am all about delay, particularly long, in-tempo delays that go on for just about forever. ... It's an actual struggle to stop myself from doing exactly that on every vocal part I record, whether it's actually appropriate or not.

This. So much this.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #54 on: 29 Nov 2010, 18:27 »

Not so much an effect as an "actually making use of the equipment". Actually USING stereo mixing to add location to the instrumentation, instead of just blasting everything equally ala entirely too many bands(essentially mono despite having stereo or better hardware). Just setting all the "pan" knobs on the mixing board to dead center is half-assing it

Does this ever actually happen?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

pstrealer

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #55 on: 29 Nov 2010, 19:44 »

Not so much an effect as an "actually making use of the equipment". Actually USING stereo mixing to add location to the instrumentation, instead of just blasting everything equally ala entirely too many bands(essentially mono despite having stereo or better hardware). Just setting all the "pan" knobs on the mixing board to dead center is half-assing it

Does this ever actually happen?

Yes, but with depressing rarity these days, and more in studio albums than in live shows(where it's hard if not impossible to do). :|

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #56 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:49 »

... live shows(where it's hard if not impossible to do).

Pah!  Shouldn't be.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #57 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:51 »

Honestly, I hated how the Stooges handled it in their first few albums. I thought my headphones were busted, only hearing guitar on one side.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #58 on: 01 Dec 2010, 01:51 »

I am all about delay, particularly long, in-tempo delays that go on for just about forever. ... It's an actual struggle to stop myself from doing exactly that on every vocal part I record, whether it's actually appropriate or not.

This. So much this.

Oh hey I didn't know you guys were into U2

So guys I've always been kinda curious but how DOES horse dick taste, anyway?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #59 on: 01 Dec 2010, 05:57 »

It's sort of unpleasant at first but you learn to tolerate it. Kind of like domestic abuse or Ted Leo.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #60 on: 01 Dec 2010, 05:58 »

I'm just kidding. I could never learn to tolerate Ted Leo.

Nodaisho

« Reply #61 on: 01 Dec 2010, 12:09 »

Step 1) stick out your tongue.

Step 2) touch your hand to your tongue.

You have just tasted a dick. Thank me later.

Not serious, I just couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2010, 12:12 by Nodaisho »
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

StarF

• Plantmonster
    • Scrub Club Records
« Reply #62 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:56 »

I know I'll probably catch some hell for this one, but lately I've been really into chiptunes. Particularly when they're incorporated into other genres, such as the artists POWERLIFTER, Bomb The Music Industry!, or I Fight Dragons.
<3 StarF

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #63 on: 03 Dec 2010, 21:21 »

This. So much this.

It's so cute when you try to get all snobby about things, Patrick. Probably best you leave it to the experts though, k? Lest I dig up all those posts where you jump on Smashmouth or Cake's dick.

You fuck
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #64 on: 04 Dec 2010, 07:05 »

Honestly, I hated how the Stooges handled it in their first few albums. I thought my headphones were busted, only hearing guitar on one side.

Unless I'm gunning for a strobe effect or something I have a rule when I'm making music that nothing strays outside of a range encompassing about 60-80% of the stereo pan around the centre line. When I helped record a friends band I just imagined one person standing on one side of the room and another person standing on the other, thought what they would probably hear, and mixed that.

My approach to music production is pretty much designed to make more technically minded folk cry, I think. Although more maybe for like the death industrial/cybregrind stuff I used to make where I would deliberately try to constantly make every monitor guage throb in the high red till you could hear the cones in the speakers rattling out of time to the music.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #65 on: 06 Dec 2010, 09:36 »

This is going to sound odd as an "effect" per se, but..tone knob.

Lately I've been playing with the bridge humbucker on my Tele, with the tone set at zero. Full treble cut. I don't know exactly how to describe the tone except for "hollow", but I love it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

NotAFanOfFenders

• The German Chancellory building
  • even furrier
« Reply #66 on: 06 Dec 2010, 11:40 »

What is this... tone knob you speak of?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #67 on: 06 Dec 2010, 11:44 »

It's like a volume knob, though..it doesn't control the volume.

Actually, mine looks like this:

« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 11:46 by valley_parade »

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #68 on: 07 Dec 2010, 11:44 »

I recently discovered that I can make an absolutely nasty, fat, grinding distortion by using the neck humbucker on my ASAT Classic Bluesboy, tone all the way down, going through my Boss SD-1 super overdrive with level, drive, and tone turned all the way up into the high gain output on my Fender Champ 600.  I'm sure this is doing terrible things to the speaker, but frankly it kind of deserves it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up