THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40+ Hours awake? (how long have you stayed up at one time?)  (Read 59858 times)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

Continue the story!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

So, the question is, how long have you ever stayed up? Are there any other severe insomniacs that can relate to Hannelore? :laugh:
I'm no insomniac, but I've gone 40+ hours without proper sleep a few times when serious system problems hit (I work in the IT industry). I don't think anyone can say they've gone n hours without any sleep unless they were under medical supervision, because the micro-sleeps slip in under the radar.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

JonseyMcFly

• Plantmonster
  • May i have your soul, It looks tastey!!

98 hour's with lot's of caffeine near the end, Read all of qc in that time. all of licd. and did a tone of other shit. IT was nice to have all the free time. I finally fell asleep was asleep for like maybe 2-3 hours before i was awoken and awake for a another 46ish hours... Slept for two day's afterwords.
If you give me your soul I will give you half the cookie i make with your soul. What don't worry soul's grow back... Maybe.... eventually.... Probolly... NO problem i Promies *croses fingers* your sould will grow back.....

jonarus_drakus

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild

WOO! I JUST BEAT MY OLD RECORD! WOO!

The longest i have been without sleep record now stands at a stagering 89 hours! I AM SO LEET! WORSHIP MY AWAKEDNESS!
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.

I had med induced mania once and that shit was not funny. I could not turn off. I could not shut up and I talked so fast people had trouble understanding me. I gave myself shin splint just from walking fast forever. For two days I could not sleep and I could not be still.

Dude, that sounds kinda like me normaly...

Try lithium? Worked for my husband for a while.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

JonseyMcFly

• Plantmonster
  • May i have your soul, It looks tastey!!

I AM SO LEET! WORSHIP MY AWAKEDNESS!

/worship
If you give me your soul I will give you half the cookie i make with your soul. What don't worry soul's grow back... Maybe.... eventually.... Probolly... NO problem i Promies *croses fingers* your sould will grow back.....

All_Ľour_Bass

• Plantmonster
  • STARBUCKS IST KRIEG!!!!

WOO! I JUST BEAT MY OLD RECORD! WOO!

The longest i have been without sleep record now stands at a stagering 89 hours! I AM SO LEET! WORSHIP MY AWAKEDNESS!

*bows before you l337n3ss*
"I can't turn orange juice into alcohol-but I know a yeast who can.You can ferment just about anything with sugar in it; the product may not be worth the effort-for example my garlic wine didn't seem popular."
- Bored chemist (of thenakedscientists.com)

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish

Longest for me was about 72 hours, I started to go a bit loopy though with hallucinations. It was during a road trip and we had to get somewhere fast, so people took it in turns driving and sleeping. Unfortunately for me I cannot sleep in a car so I was awake the whole time. Fortunately for all of humanity I was not required to drive because I did not have a licence at the time.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

I had killed two people since midnight [/bauer]

Aegir

Probably around between 60 and 70 hours. I have the worst sleep habits. Most days in college I would go to bed around 8 or 9 in the morning, no matter what time I had class.

Yaezakura

• Not quite a lurker
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess

Well, my record is somewhere around 150 hours (or about 6 and a half days). I suffer regular bouts of insomnia, and had a new game to keep me entertained.

After that long, the world becomes a very unusual place...

jonarus_drakus

• Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild

chalenge accepted...
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)

Well, one time in my life i did something very, very stupid together with about 100 people.

We tried to break the world record for Internet Chat at length without breaks (ok, 5 mins every hour for the toilet). Well, i dropped off after 85 hours. The medics who supervised us ended it after 90 hours. Too much people just freaked out. Nice, but very stupid experiment for a radio station...

And this teached me one thing: Never do it again.

After about 40 hours i did not get tired anymore. I was... "over the hill". Then, concentration problems began. We all stopped kinda talking. Then, people around me started hallucinating (which came for me about 20 hours later). Then i began loosing my short time memory... more concentration problems, more and more typos. Eyes sore. And a medic checkup after 80 hours showed that i had the same symptoms like being totally drunk or on a kind of drug... wide eyes, reddened, not able to speak fluently in my own language, not able to walk a straight line... and after 85 hours, i ran into a kind of mind state i dont liked... persecution mania, anxiety state and a kind of "watching myself", like standing next to me.... i mean... i feared the shadows in that Internet Cafe, the plant next to my 'puter and i watched myself and thought: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid....and commented myself...

We started with 100 freaks. Ended with 13.

After that, i went to bed, slept about 8 hours and everything was clear and nice again. Except... i totally lost memory for 3 days. I can remember the first few hours and the last 10 hours before i went to bed. Inbetween.. all gone. I saw the videos of it, i have the pictures... but i cannot remember what happened, except the last 10 hours.

« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2009, 14:53 by Llewellian »
9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Yaezakura

• Not quite a lurker
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess

Like I said, the world becomes a very unusual place after a while. And the effects get worse the longer you go. Hallucinations are a common symptom of extended periods of time without REM levels of sleep, as fatigue makes it harder for our brains to separate our conscious and unconscious minds. You basically experience a literal "waking nightmare" as thoughts that are normally relegated to dreams start playing out in your awakened state.

People are different, of course, so it'll affect people at different rates and severity. Some start the freakout as early as 40 hours, and some can still function after several days. But honestly, it's best not to find out. So my suggestion to anyone here is to never try and push yourself past what you can comfortably handle.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!

I had med induced mania once and that shit was not funny. I could not turn off. I could not shut up and I talked so fast people had trouble understanding me. I gave myself shin splint just from walking fast forever. For two days I could not sleep and I could not be still.

Dude, that sounds kinda like me normaly...

Try lithium? Worked for my husband for a while.
Try staying away from caffeine. Seriously, I had problems like this back when they were treating my respiratory problems with theophylline. If you do heavy amounts of caffeine, it can have the same effect if you have the right (or wrong) kind of brain chemistry.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

yamaha2k3

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm gonna bop you!

I would say around close to 55 hrs is my max. That was when I was pounding down the caffeine and adderall while cramming for mid-terms. Man I never want to do that again. I've never crashed so hard, plus I was on the verge of hallucinations. I was hearing whispers in my head that kind of freaked me out a little.

Keebbles

• Emoticontraindication

Currently due to Migraines- med side effects I'm going on 76 hours 41 minutes and some odd seconds at the time of this posting.
 I've laid down a few times, but not slept at all. Gone totally dark and tried every mental feedback trick to try to get my alpha waves going, but the damn migraine just flares up when a loud noise happens, a car's headlights go across the window, the phone rings, or the cat's demand food or attention.

The older cat knows I'm in serious pain and so he's forcing himself onto me and trying to purr hard to comfort me not knowing that his touch and plaintive meows are painful to me in this condition.

Only other possible solution is to skip one dose of pain pills then double up halfway to the next dose and hope it knocks me out...
 More than likely I'll eventually pass out from exhaustion at some point. Probably sooner than later as I'm in another hyper mode from the migraine meds again reacting with the PTSD meds ass-backwards (this happens when the dosage builds up after a week or so on the meds) --

Don't need any pity...just need sleep...comfy sleep...that or sex and chocolate...dark chocolate especially...and a woman who won't talk and who has an oral fixation and a need to please a man and can do therapeutic and pressure point massage afterwards too.   TMI? Oh well.

Still got that damned migraine...
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Free 2 Play! No D/L! Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN The Awesome Online Anime Spoof!

rucdoc

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • Newbie Shooting Range

2 weeks with a combined total of 9 hours of sleep. not really sure how many hours straight are contained within that period but I do know at one point it was atleast 4 and a half days in between naps.
Doom, and stuff

Newbie Shooting Range, fun for some people

http://nsr.sablewing.org

kraemandrummer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • the music freaks here make me feel like a loser

2 weeks with a combined total of 9 hours of sleep. not really sure how many hours straight are contained within that period but I do know at one point it was atleast 4 and a half days in between naps.
dude. what the hell.

I went like 4 days without sleep last week. I finally got the orange box for pc and played it for 3 nights in a row. I had class in the day. The last day I just ended up watching alien and aliens and 3 zombie movies.

woo hoo
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,19792.2450.html
(this is the page of the Mediaf!ire thread I was last on :))

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Time to revive a sleeping thread?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

73 hours. At the time I was literally staying up two days straight and sleeping an entire day at a time (my schedule was fucked). I was pretty incoherent by the third day, though. I was 15 at the time.

I know what you mean about being incoherent - I went to just past 70 hours, and started seeing neon trails off of everything that moved.  It was very strange.

Man, people are describing their sleep deprivation times in terms like these and that shit never happened to me. I was just really hyper.

indeed. when i was 11 or 12, i used to see how long i could stay awake for. i think my record was 8 days with no chemical assistance, but generally i'd just pass out on the couch or something after about 3. i don't remember any hallucinations or any crazy shit like that, but i'd always get really hyper at around the 24hr mark. that was fun, and i suppose it's why i did it, but after about 36hr, it generally became a test of willpower, which was less fun.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

I never had to work much at not going to sleep in my youth. I came up with all sorts of strange reasons to stay awake. The best one usually happened when my allergies were giving me Trouble. I'd take conscious control of my breathing, then fail to work out how to start doing it automatically again. I'd lie there for hours making myself breathe.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

This sounds like an awesome idea for a poll!  :laugh:

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Yer welcome. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Heranje

• Larger than most fish

For me, not more than 24 hours. I'm not one for all-nighters or skipping nights - even if I am doing an "all-nighter", I'll go to sleep for about 3 hours in the middle of it, because otherwise I'm pretty useless, thus defeating the point of staying up all night to get things done. I have at times stayed up all night and then slept the following day, though.

I'm not very hardcore.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost

Stayed up two days studying for a psychology final once. Prof gave us a textbook that I never read, just took notes from the lectures and that was enough to earn me an A in the class. Then a few days before the final Prof tell us half the test will cover our knowledge of book only material. I stayed up for two days straight reading and rereading the book, looking for everything I hadn't learned. Then the test came and it turned out my Prof lied, none of the book only material was on the test. I hated him yet utterly respected him at the same time.

Then I went to bed.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

yeah, psych professors do that kind of thing.

sudamerican

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Thinks the WCT is tl;dr

i was invited to a friend's all night party like 10 years ago, and then after that (it was 10 am of the following morning) most of us were still there, so we went to get some breakfast, and after that we had lunch at this one guy's house (he had a swimming pool and it was summer).
After dinner, still at the same dude's place, some friend of his invited us all to a night club's big opening party which, again, took all night.
When we were leaving there, this weird mutant we met at the night club took us to an afterparty where everyone was on something. It was kind of creepy, so we left in a hurry after a couple of hours.
From there it was on to someone else's house where we took over his playstation for the better part of that day.
Around nighttime, i hooked up with a girl we picked up at some point during the last day or two (all along, we were losing people and getting new ones). I was in no condition for a date, but I must have done alright (or she probably just figured "whatever").
And it was after that night long outing that i finally crashed.
I slept for a whole day, according to my parents.

This whole thing started on a friday, I had woken up probably around 9 or 10 in the morning, so i'm guessing i was up for 3 days or whereabouts.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2010, 06:21 by sudamerican »
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Somewhere in the 36-40 hour range.

When I was a little kid (still believed in Santa little), I would stay up all night on December 23rd so that I could go to be REALLY EARLY on Christmas Eve so Santa would be sure to come.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus

I estimate it was 43 hours or so... up all day then suddenly informed at 9pm that I had to move out of these peoples' house the next day. I decided to start packing & moving right then... Drove 1st load to Storage 4am, unloaded, came back 9am, packed & moved all day (pushing myself, under strict deadline to get everything out by 3pm) left with 2nd (& last, thank God) load 2pm, unloaded slowly (was doing everything slowly by then) didn't sleep til after midnight.  

I should mention and thank adderall for its excellent help staying alert, motivated, and moving, although after awhile, it's no fun anymore.  I learned a hard lesson - I had brought too much stuff to a temporary room.

Started seeing movements in peripheral vision, seeing people at side of road that turned out to be signs, fenceposts. I'm very visual anyway, not surprising my hallucinations were too.

It's not pleasant after awhile; I guess our good neurotransmitters get depleted, and as someone else said, the subconscious fears and anxieties start leaking through, due to the brain's filter(s) not working as well.  I thank Lexapro for valuable help with the emotional arena.

I only slept a few hours (darn!) - felt lousy all next day, til got a good nights sleep that night.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2010, 10:54 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Traitorfish

• Not quite a lurker

I used to study architecture, so there were a few all-night stints. Most probably sat around the 36-40 hour mark, though; there's only so much coffee can do for you, and by that point you're barely in a position to handle much more than mindless drudgery.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner

I did make the 48 hour mark once. I was on a working vacation in France, and my company was une Française enchantée.

After that, I hit the 40 hour mark on a few occasions. But that was before I hit the 30 yr old-barrier. After that, I've never ever made it beyond 24 hours. This is partly because I am very much a morning person. In the evening before, I usually already know that next morning, I want to be up at the crack of dawn, so my body usually shuts down in preparation for that.

Works for me.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

Ethereal

• Not quite a lurker

I have stayed awake for 40 hrs straight three times in my life.   Twice in 1984 or 1985 playing Ultima IV at a friend's house.  Once in 2001 I think trying to be first shaman to level 80 on my server in Everquest.  I didn't make it, I was #2.  :-(

Promethean Sky

• Plantmonster

Honestly, I find some of these claims medically improbable. Specifically, I'm calling bullshit on 150 hours, and anything longer than that. I'm not saying 150 hours is impossible, the Guinness Book has taught me better than that. But I'm calling bull for the same reason I'd call bull on someone claiming to be an astronaut. It's just not likely.

Personally, I usually go 50-60 hours every time I go to a con (about 3 times/year), but my longest strech was one con weekend where I woke around noon thursday, had insomnia, than was manic over the weekend, didn't come down til early monday morning. That would be around 90 hours. Holy crap! I never actually sat down and calculated that before.
Well I thought it was funny.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

This thread terrifies me. Sleep deprivation can kill you, guys. Don't do it just for fun or to see what it's like! I'm saying this as someone who is currently unbearably exhausted (and that's from only getting 4-6 hours a night for the last three weeks, rather than just staying up straight through).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Sleep deprivation can kill you, guys.
Hu ? Really ?!?

Personally I dont get the idea of not sleeping. I love being wide awake, and for that you need good sleep.

Carpe Diem

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner

I would have assumed that, before sleep deprivation could actually kill you (directly, so not indirectly like, falling asleep while driving a car, which is frightening by itself), your body would basically just shut itself down.

I've also found that sometimes, when you REALLY think you've been awake for a given period, what really happens is your brain takes little "micronaps" every couple hours or so.
I remember that, when I was a teenager (after WWII, but before the Falkland war), my girlfriend gave me a book. Or rather, three books, each of them ruddy fat by themselves*. I started reading in Friday evening, and couldn't stop reading until I had finished them, by late Sunday afternoon. It FELT like I had been reading non-stop, but I *know* that, at some point, I reached a stage where I would doze off in my chair, only to wake up, say, half an hour later to continue reading.

I seem to remember that there is a sleeping schedule like that, which will actually sustain you for an extended period, getting by with something in between 2 and 3 hours sleep each 24 hours. It consisted of taking something like a 30 minute nap each 5 hours or so. The guy who tried this stopped it after a couple months, not because he was exhausted (he wasn't), but because it wrecked his social life (as well as his sex life, I imagine).
I'll see if I can find a link, and post it here.

*) Yes, you are right - it was "Lord of the Rings")
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner

I seem to remember that there is a sleeping schedule like that, which will actually sustain you for an extended period, getting by with something in between 2 and 3 hours sleep each 24 hours. It consisted of taking something like a 30 minute nap each 5 hours or so. The guy who tried this stopped it after a couple months, not because he was exhausted (he wasn't), but because it wrecked his social life (as well as his sex life, I imagine).
I'll see if I can find a link, and post it here.

Okay, that was quick. It's called 'polyphasic sleep'. Here's a report of someone who tried it for more than five months.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Talk was that Dale Earnhardt (Senior) tried that in the years right before he was killed @ Daytona. No word as to whether or not that might have been a contributing factor in his crash.
Just another Joe like 46

AsinineAxioms

• Plantmonster
  • Longtime Lurker
    • Asinine Axioms

If it were not for school, I would try that. I think sleep is a gigantic waste of time; there's so much I could be doing in that time.

That said, I suffer from mild insomnia, so I don't get a normal amount of sleep as it is regardless. My record was 49 straight hours, after which my body physically could not function anymore; I collapsed and was unconscious for 2 hours. That was unbelievably terrifying when I woke up. As a result of that experience, I try to at least get four hours of sleep a night.

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication

The longest I ever stayed awake for was about 46 hours. I'd been up all night for no particular reason and then when the sun came up I didn't feel like sleeping. Once I hit 40 hours I wanted to try to get to 48 hours to have it be a round two days. Inanimate objects seemed to be moving of their own accord and I was imagi-hearing 8-bit music and laughing children, but the thing that really made me give in and go to sleep was the FIERCE headache
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

Butterbeegumdrop

I honestly have no idea what my record is in straight hours, but I can tell you it was from a Tuesday until a Friday...or maybe Saturday. I didn't pay much attention to the hours, just the amount of times the sun came up/went down. And the occasional glance to see what day/month it was. I honestly don't even really remember going to sleep, so it may have been longer what with waking up late Saturday/early Sunday. So yeah, I probably had a couple micronaps. Maybe.

Me, I'm not really a marathon type. I just tend to stay up 24-36 hours repeatedly (and, yes, I hit 48 WAY more often than I should), sometimes with only four hours or so of sleep in between (I went a little over a week with maybe 9 hours of sleep collectively, once or twice...or three times, but one of those was admittedly deliberate due to WotLK coming out). I have trouble staying asleep with any consistency, too.

It leads to an interesting lack of recollection involving all sorts of things, not to mention mild hallucinations and delirium. And having no idea what day it is without looking. I have not, however, straight up passed out (...that I can recall).

Edit: Also, when you have sudden dizzy spells during which you feel like you've just been dragged under by a monster wave, IT IS TIME TO SLEEP. Not that I listen to myself...
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2010, 03:24 by Butterbeegumdrop »

Siorai

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Don't recall exactly what it is for the hour total, But for a while, I was working at Yankee Candle for 48 hours a week, monday-saturday, 2pm to 10pm, then, monday-friday overnight at a hotel here in town, 11pm to 7 am. Took the bus back home, got home around 10:00 am, left for work at 1pm.  Normally I'd only go home to eat/shower then go right back to work.

The first couple of weeks are pretty rough, but after the third/fourth? You don't really notice the lack of concentration, and the surreal reality that everything turns into, just sorta becomes the norm.  You get used to it, slowly but surely, but it doesn't really make it any -less- strange.

Made half decent money, sure, was it worth it? I'm not really too sure, but it was pretty intense, anyone that's worked 6 worked back to back 90+ hours/week, will tell you the same thing.  Not to mention I was boxing candles for half of that time....
Yes. I still have an ICQ... ....

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Sleep deprivation can indeed kill you. It's demonstrable in lab animals and in the rare case of fatal familial insomnia.

Anyway, yeah, I can't understand why people would regularly extend their sleep patterns to such a ridiculous extent. My own record can basically be explained with a roadtrip, cocaine, dexedrine and horrible, horrible decision making. Wasn't really in a good place back then.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

spasysheep

I can stay awake for a pretty long time, I think it's a genetic trait as my parents both seem to manage with very little sleep.
As long as I get a mug of strong coffee every hour or two I stay fairly coherent and responsive, otherwise I end up in a similar state to being really drunk - vision goes blurry, I slur my words slightly and I perceive reality like a laggy game, I seem to jump from point to point rather than moving smoothly.

I once sat at my computer for 72 hours when my parents went away and left me in the house on my own for a week. I was awake for about 50 hours at which point I ran out of coffee and ended up napping in my computer chair for about 3 hours so I could stay capable of gaming, woke up and carried on to the 72 hour mark. After that I went to bed so I would be in a reasonable state when the holidays ended and I had to go back to school. I'm pretty certain I didn't micronap because I was gaming so I would have been told if I stopped doing anything for a bit.

When I do sleep I sleep for a long time - without any constraints like school to tell me when I can and can't sleep, I sleep for about 11-14 hours, then stay awake for about 20. This is interrupted by waking up for 5-20 mins every 3 hours or so.
Not a healthy sleep cycle I imagine, but it works.

Snuffletrout

• Emoticontraindication
  • Umm... Yiharr?

Sleep for me is a game of totals.

I can be awake and asleep for long periods of time. I do suffer insomnia when I'm stressed sometimes (really used to piss me off right before big tests at school) where Ill go to bed as normal but I just cannot sleep. Doesn't matter what I do. Thats something Ive struggled with since I was a kid. Luckily for me Ive also learned to live with it. So if I dont get to sleep for a full night I'm still fully able to go to work as normal. It usually ends up like this: Wake up at 8am, go to work, dont get to sleep at night, back to work, try to sleep -no luck, go to work, collapse when I come home.

Since I work for 3 days/week that's fine. The rest of the week I spend sleeping 10-12 hrs a day. As long as Im not in a insomnia period I can fall asleep anywhere and anytime if I want to. That's a gene trait my family is notorious for. In school, I fell asleep on my desk. The teacher asked for my name (to note down) and as soon as she heard my last name she said "Ah, that explains it" and dropped the case.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

I have that problem, too. It never fails, and I've something important to do the next day, that sleep won't come. I have discovered a slight workaround, though. In such situations, I do have a solution, though. First, I set my alarm rather early. Then, when, at any time the evening or night before, I feel sleepy, I immediately lay down and try to let it come. Odds are I won't sleep until morning, but I will get some rest, which is more than I could accomplish the other way 'round. Usually I wind up sleeping a few hours and then wake up and can do all those things I might need to with time to spare, having still gotten some sleep in the last 24. And if by weird chance I do slumber on, the alarm is set early enough to compensate at least somewhat.

Note: if you've a SO, it's a good idea to try not to share her (his, what have you) bed at such times, for both your sakes. Guest bedrooms, couches, etc. are the thing.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I have that problem, too. It never fails, and I've something important to do the next day, that sleep won't come.
I have found that listening to "talking books" after going to bed is the answer to worry-insomnia. Music doesn't do it, but listening to a story pulls my mind away from the hamster-wheel and I hardly ever stay awake long enough to change the cassette/CD.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I call that "A Kid On Christmas Eve" Syndrome. You're going somewhere important, doing something you've been really looking forward to doing, or what not - and you can't sleep worth a blankety-blank.

I think I got like nothing for sleep the night before my wedding, and it wasn't only because my best man took me out on the town. And not only because I was sleeping at my parents' house in a room I hadn't slept in in decades.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up