You have to show people WHY it's sexy.
- 4 (4.9%)
Ron... and SNAPE...
- 16 (19.5%)
I give up.
- 14 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 1-5 November 2010 (1786-1790)  (Read 118006 times)

MarkCorrigan

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT: 1-5 November 2010
« Reply #100 on: 02 Nov 2010, 06:35 »

Hi, long time reader first time responder yadda yadda.

I'm with Westrim on this one. Total dick move by Dora. Letting someone awkward in social situations who has expressed zero romantic or sexual interest in women and has explicitly come on to one guy and flirted with another (Dale, let's be honest, that's what it was) go off oblivious with a Lesbian who obviously thinks she has a chance is being shitty to both of them simply to satisfy her bizarre fantasy that the two of them will end up together? Way to totally fuck with two people you're supposed to be friends with. Best case scenario Marigold lets Tai down gently and Tai is ok with it. More likely scenario, Marigold freaks out and hides away again and Tai is emotionally hurt, and why? Because Dora is an insensitive selfish bitch who can't think further than the end of her nose. I mean christ, even FAYE is concerned about the situation and she admits to being a bitch.

I'm really starting to go off Dora. I'm not bothered by the insane jealousy because I understand it's likely there for a reason and she most probably can't help it to a high degree, but the weird selfish matchmaker thing coupled with her ludicrous rages against Marten for absolutely no reason when he's vaguely nearby something she considers to be bad really suggests that she wants to control her friends, not help them. The double standards and controlling, manipulative behaviour when it comes to Marigold and Hanners, the two most vulnerable people in the strip in social situations is not a pleasant thing from someone who is, let's face it, the third main character in the strip.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #101 on: 02 Nov 2010, 07:10 »

I, too,  like the 'Hello Kitty look' very much. Apparently Jeph is also happy with the way it turned out as he reused it here. My favorite Dora? I liked it when she let her hair grow half-bianchi. Too bad Jeph is still not done with his palette experiments.

Sets up lawnchair near the railyard, sits down, opens cooler.

"Anyone want a beer?  Show's about to start.  Plenty of good spots left." 

It was below freezing point here this morning, so I'm not searching for my lawnchair. Mari+Tai? I predict that we will only see the awkward aftermath of the "dinner date". Makes for a better show anyway.  I could be wrong about this, so no large bets - a beer mebbe?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #102 on: 02 Nov 2010, 07:13 »

GNU makes a distro now?

I advise you to tiptoe from the room before anyone notices that remark!  (see here)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Vander

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #103 on: 02 Nov 2010, 07:30 »

I'm not sure why everyone is reacting so negatively to this.

Firstly considering Marigold has explicitly said she is not into girls earlier the only person who is likely to be hurt here is Tai and considering Tai's attitudes to most things I don't think that is too likely.

Secondly even if it ends badly Marigold has already demonstrated a formidable ability to handle disappointment and failure with relationship issues in the Angus arc.

Personally I think this is headed towards expanding Marigolds group of close friends from the current count of just two, Angus and Hannelore and encouraging her to leave her room and further her experiences in the real world (that entering the bar scene was just painful), and lets face it if there is any character equipped to give someone a crash course in enjoying life it is Tai.

My prediction for this arc is that it's going to force Marigold to become more social outside of WoW, force Tai to become a little more mature and most likely result in Marigold getting together with that Horde/Alliance guy (I can't remember which).
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 08:31 by Vander »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #104 on: 02 Nov 2010, 08:04 »

I concur!  Marigold's a big girl, and this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship (sorry, had to).  She may not deal well with a pass, but it may not get that far.  They've definitely got more to talk about than most of the other girls Tai "dates".  It may also encourage Tai to take up some more serious writing, putting her English Lit degree to use beyond Librarianism (which is actually almost as far from Lit as "you want fries with that?"). 

OK, I went too far already...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

MarkCorrigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 02 Nov 2010, 08:31 »

I'm reacting negatively because this is the latest in a long string of controlling and potentially manipulative things Dora has done to her less socially aware "friends". She tries to take over their lives, directing them in certain ways instead of letting them make up their own minds or without alerting them to potential problems just because she thinks the situation is cute.

Remember how ballistic she went at Sven because Hanners asked him out on a pretend date? Remember how she acted when Hanners, the person who is least likely to go for Sven with the possible exception of Tai, came home? She demanded to know if she had fallen for him. She wanted to steer her in the direction Dora wanted her to go. That to me is not a healthy person to have as a friend.

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #106 on: 02 Nov 2010, 08:34 »

I loved today's specials: NOTHING TODAY, JERKS!

Vander

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #107 on: 02 Nov 2010, 08:56 »

Point taken but I think Dora would have been more of a bitch to actually say something along the lines of a warning at that point: "oh hey Marigold, yeah just be careful with Tai... etc etc". That is not the best way to encourage a potential close friendship which is what I see this as becoming.

I will point out the Sven thing is mostly because she has huge issues with her brother mostly dealing with her own insecurities and feelings of self-worth which I think is a separate issue to the one we are currently seeing.

I'm not sure what you mean by Dora being so manipulative though (it's been a while since I last did a archive crawl). Most of the manipulation I have seen from her has been in a positive form, encouraging others to overcome their own issues rather than for her own amusement (that's more of Faye's schtick).

The problem with Dora at the moment is that Jeph is exploring her insecurities with relationships and her brother which has naturally led to a large number of comics portraying her in a negative light recently, but I don't think this is a true reflection of Dora's personality. Instead a number of issues that she has suppressed for a large number of years are finally coming into the light because of the positive developments in her life (Relationship with Marten, her brother finally maturing a little) which due to the various disappointments she has suffered she is having difficulties (understatement)  accepting.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 09:00 by Vander »

DudeBroGuy

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm that one guy
« Reply #108 on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:27 »

Oh god Dora's face
Word up.

Coco

• Emoticontraindication
  • You can't be mad at me, I'm just a dog.
« Reply #109 on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:57 »

I share neither the Dora nor the Tai hate that is prevalent on this board, so I may be biased, but I agree with Vander, I'm not quite sure what Dora was supposed to do in this situation. Tai and Mari met, hit it off because they have things in common and left to get to know one another better. Was Dora supposed to jump in and yell "Wait Mari, Tai is TERRIBLE!" Something tells me that wouldn't have gone over very well. And we would probably all hate her for patronizing Mari if she had done something, after all, Mari is an adult. I think Dora's face in the last panel was simply reflecting my thoughts, that this pairing will result in some hilarious awkwardness and possibly a new friendship. After all, Mari and Tai share interests unique to them among the core cast. Finally, it's not like this is exactly dangerous. Tai isn't a date rapist, she just teases too hard sometimes. Jeez. Also, when she gets rebuffed (like when Marten told her to lay off Hanners) she responded well and without defensiveness, meaning she can be taught and take criticism. She's still learning where the line is, but she is a good person, and IF she makes a pass I think she will be rebuffed with ease. Mari is a big girl who really can take care of herself. She has already grown a lot and I feel that she does better in one on one situations than groups anyway. I'm looking forward to it.

Also, what is manipulative about standing back and doing nothing? Again, it would be more manipulative to try and control the progression of the friendship or stop it entirely by interjecting character judgments.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 10:00 by Coco »
It took three years for bad lawyers to put an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life and 15 years for good lawyers to set him free.
"Getting to this point was way harder than it should be in a free country."

brew

« Reply #110 on: 02 Nov 2010, 10:16 »

Marigold only told Hanners that she's not into women.  It's still unknown information for Dora.

MarkCorrigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #111 on: 02 Nov 2010, 10:20 »

It's mostly that she seems to want to dictate what they can and can't do. I mean, I understand her being a little apprehensive about Hanners "dating" Sven, but she went through the roof. At Sven. She tried to talk her out of it even though the idea of Hanners doing it with Sven, especially on a pretend date, is ludicrous and Dora knows that.

MarkCorrigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #112 on: 02 Nov 2010, 10:30 »

Crap. Was going to write a long reply but it got deleted. Will write it later.

Promethean Sky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #113 on: 02 Nov 2010, 10:41 »

Bad (or good, depending on what you are into) news, guys: Mar-bear specifically said she is not into girls.

Well, one thing I've always loved about QC is that the people act like people, and people are complicated. And one interesting thing I've found about sexual attraction is that sometimes people don't know that they might be interested in something until they've been presented with an opportunity.

For the record, I am not rooting for a Marigold/Tai hookup. I'm just saying that it isn't necessarily off the table based on a single denial.
Well I thought it was funny.

MarkCorrigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #114 on: 02 Nov 2010, 11:05 »

I share neither the Dora nor the Tai hate that is prevalent on this board, so I may be biased, but I agree with Vander, I'm not quite sure what Dora was supposed to do in this situation.
Maybe explain to Marigold that Tai isn't thinking as innocently as Mari is?

Tai and Mari met, hit it off because they have things in common and left to get to know one another better. Was Dora supposed to jump in and yell "Wait Mari, Tai is TERRIBLE!"
Why on Earth would she say that? I saw one person say that they don't like Tai, and no one suggested that Dora stop them because Tai is terrible.

Something tells me that wouldn't have gone over very well.
No, but then that would be a stupid thing to say, and not what I or, I doubt anyone else, was suggesting.

And we would probably all hate her for patronizing Mari if she had done something, after all, Mari is an adult.
With little social skills who clearly can't read the situation she's in.

I think Dora's face in the last panel was simply reflecting my thoughts, that this pairing will result in some hilarious awkwardness and possibly a new friendship.
You think so? I think that was her praying for a new couple because she thinks it would be cute face. If memory serves, she's wanted implausible couples before.

After all, Mari and Tai share interests unique to them among the core cast.
What? Unless you mean WoW, which I guess is true since Dale isn't core cast. Yet.

Finally, it's not like this is exactly dangerous. Tai isn't a date rapist, she just teases too hard sometimes. Jeez.
Whoa whoa, attempted rape? Who the hell thinks that would happen? Who even suggested that? What comments are you responding to?

Also, when she gets rebuffed (like when Marten told her to lay off Hanners) she responded well and without defensiveness,
She didn't think Hanners was flirting with her. She obviously thinks Marigold is.

meaning she can be taught and take criticism. She's still learning where the line is, but she is a good person,
Never said she wasn't a good person, but since she thinks Mari is flirting with her (if you don't think so, wow, can you not read situations) she might not take a refusal so well. Plus if she's drunk she can get belligerent.

and IF she makes a pass I think she will be rebuffed with ease. Mari is a big girl who really can take care of herself. She has already grown a lot and I feel that she does better in one on one situations than groups anyway. I'm looking forward to it.
Mari can take care of herself? What Marigold are you on about?

Also, what is manipulative about standing back and doing nothing? Again, it would be more manipulative to try and control the progression of the friendship or stop it entirely by interjecting character judgments.
Umm, no. She clearly has a double standard about these things. She warns Hanners more than once about Sven, despite the fact that Hanners is currently not interested in a physical relationship, and Sven knows not to try it, and yet here when Marigold is blundering into a situation which could lead to severe awkwardness and possible upset on one or both sides, she stand by and does nothing because she thinks it's cute.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #115 on: 02 Nov 2010, 11:13 »

The "Sca" is probably "scans," for scanlations of manga.

kittymao

• Not quite a lurker
  • snarf.
« Reply #116 on: 02 Nov 2010, 12:44 »

I agree.

I'm sure Mari can manage a "I Don't Swing That Way" moment.
I mean, I'm socially awkward- and I can manage a "IDSTW" moment without saying a word.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #117 on: 02 Nov 2010, 12:53 »

This is gonna turn into another "strong friendship based on optimal awkwardness" like so many in the QC universe are.
Marigold gets a boost of major confidence that someone, even if it's not ideal gender, would like her. Tai gets a friend that gets her on her most geeky level. Marigold gets to learn about sexual self-confidence while Tai gets an live audience for her writing.
Win:win

As far as the Dora=doom point of view...
She's not a crazy bitch with a yenta complex, she just likes seeing people happy. She didn't set anything up, she's witnessing a shy girl accepting a date. Right now, she's not thinking of the awkwardness, she's just thinking "yay! Two people I like might like eachother!"

She reacts immediately to what happens around her, and right now it's cute.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #118 on: 02 Nov 2010, 13:11 »

As far as the Dora=doom point of view...
She's not a crazy bitch with a yenta complex, she just likes seeing people happy. She didn't set anything up, she's witnessing a shy girl accepting a date. Right now, she's not thinking of the awkwardness, she's just thinking "yay! Two people I like might like eachother!"

Emphasis mine, on what I think is the frustrating part of this situation. Dora knows Marigold is not the best with social situations, and that includes reading social cues. If I base this off of your words - that Marigold just accepted a date with Tai, and it appears that at least Tai, Dora, and Faye get that it's a date, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that to Marigold it's not a date - just getting some food with this fanfiction writer she's a fan of.
And whenever Faye, of all people, wonders if maybe Marigold should have been told that this is pretty much a date set up, Dora, wide-eyed and hopeful, responds with an emphatic "Nope."

Dora may be thinking that this is a good chance for two people she knows to like each other, but I think it makes more sense that she's living a little through Tai in this situation. I don't think Dora knows Marigold isn't into girls (as she only told Hanners), but that doesn't mean it's ok for her to watch her socially awkward friend accept a date without understanding it for what it is.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #119 on: 02 Nov 2010, 13:56 »

Well, Marigold does know that booze+Tai=pantless and on your lap (#1688).

There may be a bit of living vicariously through Tai, but she got the same look in her eye when Faye and Angus decided to slowly get things happening.

Dora saying "Nope" a second time to "should we have told her?" doesn't mean she's NOT going to tell her as soon as Tai leaves. It indicates that if Marigold knew, this cute (in Dora's eyes) moment would never happen, instead it would be met with Marigold becoming so uncomfortable she tries to run and gives herself a bloody nose (again). 
It's already done. Faye and Dora are simply talking hypotheticals, "if you could have told her, would you?" and the answer for Dora is "nope"
Also, this week in QCtime EVERYBODY WENT ON DATES, Dora might also just be feeling the love.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 02 Nov 2010, 14:36 »

I'd say they should have told her, but I'm not sure just what they should have said.  Maybe a gentle, "uh, Mar, you know she sees this as a date, right?" but I'm not sure how I would say that subtly, much less thinking on my feet, and Mar being Mar, she'd probably have freaked out more than she will when she actually does realize it, plus Tai might have been pissed.  Saying nothing might actually have been the best decision.  I mean, hell, the girl's got a "yuri" folder on her computer.  It'll be awkward, but it's probably not going to be a complete trainwreck.

Still, Dora's smile is a wee bit disgusting.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 14:41 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #121 on: 02 Nov 2010, 14:38 »

I think Tai is just being a bit smoother this time around about her social life.  She is probably just going to talk to Marigold about fan fic stuff and have a pleasant dinner.  Maybe test the waters a bit.  I mean it's not like she can't learn from her missteps in the past, e.g. freaking Hanners out and kinda pissing off Faye by sitting in her lap.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #122 on: 02 Nov 2010, 14:58 »

I'm with Westrim on this one. Total dick move by Dora. Letting someone awkward in social situations who has expressed zero romantic or sexual interest in women and has explicitly come on to one guy and flirted with another (Dale, let's be honest, that's what it was) go off oblivious with a Lesbian who obviously thinks she has a chance is being shitty to both of them simply to satisfy her bizarre fantasy that the two of them will end up together?

It's mostly that she seems to want to dictate what they can and can't do. I mean, I understand her being a little apprehensive about Hanners "dating" Sven, but she went through the roof. At Sven. She tried to talk her out of it even though the idea of Hanners doing it with Sven, especially on a pretend date, is ludicrous and Dora knows that.

Dora just can't win with some, can she? If she doesn't intervene in someone else's social life it is a "total dick move", but if she does intervene, then she's being controlling and dictating what they do...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #123 on: 02 Nov 2010, 15:05 »

Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly...

and some characters bring out strong reactions, even if they don't try! 

The last time there was this much vitriol, it was about Sven.  Before that, Angus.  And there've even been Faye haters! 

Seems only Marten and the robots are safe...

Oh wait, I forgot about all the people who were yelling about how Marten needed to "man up" and dump Dora. 

[sigh]

Reiver, pass me another beer, willya?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #124 on: 02 Nov 2010, 15:12 »

Here's a litmus test to see if you've read fanfic: "Still the prettiest!"  If you recognized that quote, you have.
[grumble] Not King yet. [/grumble]

Very Secret Diaries! I read those when I was 17 and a huge, huge LOTR fan.

Yes!  ("Sam'll kill him if he touches him.")  VSD was hilarious!  I think its quality was helped by the fact that it was intended to be a farce.

Personally I think this is headed towards expanding Marigolds group of close friends from the current count of just two, Angus and Hannelore and encouraging her to leave her room and further her experiences in the real world (that entering the bar scene was just painful), and lets face it if there is any character equipped to give someone a crash course in enjoying life it is Tai.

This is entirely possible.  Marigold is very gradually coming out of her shell.  Will there be awkwardness on the date-Marigold-doesn't-know-is-a-date?  Certainly.  But whether she freaks out or not, she may well be flattered that Tai was attracted to her (well, until she realizes Tai is attracted to everyone with tits and clits) -- Marigold doesn't think she's attractive, so even if she doesn't feel that way toward Tai, this could boost her confidence.  As for Tai, she'll get over it.  Whatever happens, I don't see anything worth wringing my hands over, and it is kinda funny that Jeph's set up another date (a Rule of Threes thing?).

Regarding the poll, it's interesting that 1. there are more anti-yaoi people than anti-yuri, and 2. the board is so unified against Pintsize/anything.  ^_^  Wonder if Pintsize/cakemix counts . . .
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #125 on: 02 Nov 2010, 15:22 »

Well, it's one thing to see it on a screen, but when you're live and in person to the real deal, then the awkwardness card seems to always somehow come into play.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

fixed11

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #126 on: 02 Nov 2010, 16:11 »

Can't we all just agree that the comics this week will feature copious amounts of anime poses, non-stop blushing and end with sex(hurrrr) discussion and smarm talk ?

MarkCorrigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #127 on: 02 Nov 2010, 16:14 »

I'm with Westrim on this one. Total dick move by Dora. Letting someone awkward in social situations who has expressed zero romantic or sexual interest in women and has explicitly come on to one guy and flirted with another (Dale, let's be honest, that's what it was) go off oblivious with a Lesbian who obviously thinks she has a chance is being shitty to both of them simply to satisfy her bizarre fantasy that the two of them will end up together?

Dora just can't win with some, can she? If she doesn't intervene in someone else's social life it is a "total dick move", but if she does intervene, then she's being controlling and dictating what they do...

I don't normally mind Dora. In fact, until very recently I just wished she was a bit less crazy-insecure.

As for the above strawman, I have a problem more with the way she tries to interfere. It's not that she steers Hanners, it's that she's visibly angry when Hanners doesn't do what Dora wants, and that Dora doesn't actually think about what Hanners might want to do. On the other hand in this instance, she allows Marigold to randomly blunder into a situation without knowing all the facts just because she thinks it's cute. There's a big difference between letting a friend of yours know what the situation with one person is, in this case that Tai sees this as a date, and trying to outright control what that person does, a la trying to stop Hanners going on a pretend date with Sven and haranguing her when she comes back.

If Dora had taken Hanners aside and said "I don't think it's a good idea, but it's your choice. You know what he can be like right?" I wouldn't have had a problem. She didn't. She went ballistic at Sven for some reason, apparently thinking that he somehow brainwashed Hanners I guess, and kept trying to get her to say no. She eventually relented but then started grilling her afterwards. She was only forced to actually think about Hanners and not herself when Hanners stood up to her.

Dora is a great character and she used to be the character I considered the second most likeable, behind Marten, but recently she's been well...selfish. Acting selfishly like she has with regards to your less socially adapted friends IS a dick move.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #128 on: 02 Nov 2010, 16:44 »

UPDATED!
SlashFic You'd HATE to see:

SlashFic You'd HATE to see:
Hanners/Marigold    - 2 (1.7%)
Hanners/Tai    - 5 (4.3%)
Hanners/Faye    - 3 (2.6%)
Faye/Dora    - 2 (1.7%)
Faye/Tai    - 1 (0.9%)
Faye/Marigold    - 3 (2.6%)
Sven/Marten    - 11 (9.5%)
Dora/Marigold    - 4 (3.4%)
Marigold/Tai    - 3 (2.6%)
Angus/Sven    - 11 (9.5%)
Angus/Marten    - 10 (8.6%)
Pintsize/ANYONE    - 61 (52.6%)

Total Voters: 116

---
This has got to be the most one-sided poll I've ever seen on this forum.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2010, 06:42 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #129 on: 02 Nov 2010, 17:25 »

Look at that, character's doin' a face

with her face

that sure is

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #130 on: 02 Nov 2010, 18:07 »

She's very good at the :3 face.

That's all I'm gonna say.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #131 on: 02 Nov 2010, 18:11 »

As for today's comic: Let's go over the facts, shall we?

1. Marigold has explicitly stated to Hanners that she is NOT into girls. (cf.: 1493).
2. She IS okay with others being "into girls" - but she's not into girls. (same comic)
3. It's not 100% clear, but she may have already associated Tai with GLAAD, from the NRRD-Con at Smith College (cf.: 1530).
4. We, as an audience (and NOT Marigold), already know what happens to Tai when she gets "a beer and a half" in her.
5. HANNELORE knows what happens to Tai when she's... yeah.
6. She's rather uncomfortable when Dora gives her "awkward-cute huggles"
7. She DID have a rather rude rejection from her first Kiss The Boy moment - which, at least in the Tropish world of storytelling, is sometimes used as a "tipping point".
8. She has promised Hannelore she wouldn't "get drunk and try to make out" with her.
9. Marigold does admit that "nothing ever goes the way you want it to." Whether or not that applies to her sexuality...
10. Marigold did put it succinctly in the next comic: "Somebody to be nice to me, and pay attention, and... y'know."
11. She DOES have "some standards". (Alliance Rogues? No way.)
12. She found it hilarious when Dora told her about what they'd been saying about her behind her back.
13. She probably got the idea Tai was probably a lesbian after she returned to the party (just as Angus and Faye came out of their time-out).
14. Marigold has experienced what happens to Tai when she gets a couple of beers in her.
15. She admitted to Hannelore that she liked what happened between her and Angus.
16. Marigold definitely understands double-entendre - and was embarrassed about it in relation to her and Hanners.

Looking back at all this, I'd have to speculate that she probably won't think much of the fact that Tai's a lesbian; but she might be very uncomfortable with Tai hitting on her.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 18:14 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #132 on: 02 Nov 2010, 18:36 »

As for today's comic: Let's go over the facts, shall we?
7. She DID have a rather rude rejection from her first Kiss The Boy moment - which, at least in the Tropish world of storytelling, is sometimes used as a "tipping point".

9. Marigold does admit that "nothing ever goes the way you want it to." Whether or not that applies to her sexuality...

...  :x

mickcheese

• Plantmonster
« Reply #133 on: 02 Nov 2010, 19:05 »

I don't understand how it's Dora's responsibility to do or say anything in this situation. Two of her friends decided to go get a dinner together. That's it.

If Tai does make a more direct move it's hard to imagine that Marigold would react SO poorly that the situation needed direct intervention. A little awkwardness seems to be the worst outcome of this scenario. I think it's safe to say they'll both be fine or, as some have pointed out, it may even be the start of a new friendship. This is hardly a disastrous situation that anyone needed to go out of their way to prevent.

If this happened to two of my friends I'd be hard pressed to hold in the giggling until they left the shop. Putting a stop to it or warning them wouldn't even occur to me.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 19:12 by mickcheese »

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #134 on: 02 Nov 2010, 19:51 »

As a good, funny punchline, it works, and Dora's the perfect one to deliver it.  
But a real Dora amused at a socially-inept friend going off to be humiliated (ok, embarrassed) should be smacked.

Oh, and everybody knows, Yaoi is for lesbians and Yuri is for straight dudes.

[ Appy-polly-logies for off-topicness! ]

Out of curiosity, this straight dude attended the (excellent) Yuri panel at last weekend's MangaNEXT, and I'm still baffled at the supposed straight dude delight in Yuri...  The bright and experienced American yuri publisher (an out and proud lesbian) running the panel explained that, especially in Japan, any actual consummation of the F-F relationship (or even worse, ANY hint that either have ever had sex with a guy!) totally destroys the yuri manga's appeal. It destroyed one popular yuri manga; hordes of Japanese women sent back their badges in dismay, abandoning the story in horror.

So, I'm baffled; we're told men read yuri (to project, to feel like naughty females, yadda) ... but then are deeply offended when sex occurs...???  This does not sound male to me, this seems like a (lesbian?) female reaction.  Remember, males are the ones who consume vast quantities of actual hardcore porn where sex is the whole point.

I then went and read a yuri manga and the furthest they got was staring into each others eyes and emoting furiously. To me, a total waste of paper and ink.  I'm sorry, i don't see the male turn-on in Yuri.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 20:31 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

mickcheese

• Plantmonster
« Reply #135 on: 02 Nov 2010, 20:13 »

As a good, funny punchline, it works, and Dora's the perfect one to deliver it.  
But a real Dora amused at a socially-inept friend going off to be humiliated should be smacked.
Seriously, humiliated how? It's mild awkwardness at worst.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #136 on: 02 Nov 2010, 22:37 »

*pop* -as. That would be extremely silly after…
<_<
>_>
O_O
…all?

Er, before a group of you tar and feather Dora, if Marigold doesn't have some idea a girl who takes her pants off at parties is a trifle unusual already, she'd never going to notice a pass, either. Even a blatant, far-too- over-the top Tai-pass.

On the other hand, recluse Marigold is actually interacting socially of her own volition. If I were Dora, I wouldn't stop it, either. Tai's a loudmouthed, oblivious bit of annoyance, but she's never actually harmed or even playfully groped anyone that I can recall. Also, given Marigold's reading material, surely to god she's at least heard of teh lesbians.

And they do look kind of cute together (hence that smile)—not that I'd wish Tai on anyone. But, as I say, the very worst that can happen is Marigold gets startled. Well, she could possibly become embarrassed. Jesus Christ on a Beanpole, wouldn't that be different?

Now I'm gonna wait for Jeph to bring on the dancing, martial-arts-happy nuns, because obviously he just has to prove that my "what, why worry" position is wrong.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #137 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:20 »

oh snap, this wont end well for Marigold, and poor Tai will get blue clit once they get to her place.  Something tells me the awkward zone will not be solved on this one.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #138 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:22 »

AWKWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD.

helloandgoodbye

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #139 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:23 »

Welp.  This cannot end well.

Unless it ends in lesbian sex.

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #140 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:24 »

"The suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last."

helloandgoodbye has the right idea.   :-P
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #141 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:25 »

Mar... you're an idiot.

That is all.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #142 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:27 »

Dora and Faye did absolutely the right thing keeping their mouths shut.

Marigold is ostensibly a big girl, and even if she's not, the only way she's going to grow is for her to get out of the house and around people and risk being embarrassed.

Tai, while maybe a bit shallow, isn't a total creep. she may not even be into Marigold, and even if she was, she's experienced enough to know when it's appropriate to make a pass and when it isn't. If Tai doesn't get a sense that Marigold would be open to anything more than friendship, she'll almost certainly keep things on a strictly platonic level.

I think it displays a bit of homophobia the reaction that people are having to Tai displaying (what to this point has been) a completely innocent social interest in another girl. Some of the reactions here are more appropriate for a Priest taking out a five-year-old, not two grown women.

Just because Tai likes girls doesn't mean that she wants to get with anything with a vagina. In fact, Tai has been bemoaning the un-fulfilling qualities of an abundance of casual sex. I don't think Tai is going to be interested in Marigold for just a casual encounter. I'm not saying that Tai wouldn't be open to a relationship with Marigold, I just don't think it's her primary motivation, and I doubt she'd make too much of a move on the first date, if this is even a date. It's more likely that she'll give up when Marigold completely misses all of her flirting.

Warning! While you were typing Jeph posted the comic, you may wish to review your post

OH, SHIT!!!!!

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #143 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:36 »

Mar... you're an idiot.

That is all.

Hey now, that's a bit harsh and not true. She's not an idiot, she's just naive, as can be expected from someone with practically no sexual experience.

I feel sorry for them both now, it's gonna get so uncomfortable for them later on  :-( I almost can't bear to watch. Almost.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

emeraldbeacon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #144 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:42 »

To be honest... is there much difference between Tai flirting with an apparently-oblivious Marigold, and Sven even getting CLOSE to Mar?  Dora and Faye were vehement about him staying away from her.  To be honest, she was vulnerable then, and still hurting from Angus' rejection, a situation that Dora has since seen resolved... but really, there's direct, unsolicited flirting going on.  Why is Dora's reaction so different?

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #145 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:46 »

Heh... this week is beginning to look like the plot of a slash fanfic set in QC. :P

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #146 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:48 »

This will either end up in a train wreck with Dora winding up feeling guilty over not telling MariBear and Faye going after Tai with the Malaysian Battle Spatula. or a moment of real awkwardness between Tai and Marigold leading to a friendship.

Or Marigold deciding to experiment.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #147 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:49 »

I think it displays a bit of homophobia the reaction that people are having to Tai displaying (what to this point has been) a completely innocent social interest in another girl. Some of the reactions here are more appropriate for a Priest taking out a five-year-old, not two grown women.
Yeah. The "OMG! They should have WARNED her!" reaction does feel that way, doesn't it? One does wonder if the Dora's-a-dick crowd would have had the same reaction if Tai had been a man who'd asked Marigold out to dinner in the same circumstances.

Tonight's joke feels a bit forced to me. No matter how introverted Marigold might be, it's a bit hard to imagine she'd confuse the meaning of "novel" in Tai's quip. English is my second language, and I wouldn't.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 23:59 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

mickcheese

• Plantmonster
« Reply #148 on: 02 Nov 2010, 23:54 »

To be honest... is there much difference between Tai flirting with an apparently-oblivious Marigold, and Sven even getting CLOSE to Mar?  Dora and Faye were vehement about him staying away from her.  To be honest, she was vulnerable then, and still hurting from Angus' rejection, a situation that Dora has since seen resolved... but really, there's direct, unsolicited flirting going on.  Why is Dora's reaction so different?
Because she's had issues with Sven sleeping with her friends since high school. Tai's never slept with one of her friends. There's a big difference in behavior patterns that explains Dora's reaction.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #149 on: 03 Nov 2010, 00:02 »

I don't understand how it's Dora's responsibility to do or say anything in this situation. Two of her friends decided to go get a dinner together. That's it.
Because she KNEW shit was gonna go down and she consciously did nothing to stop her friends from getting hurt.  She may think it's "kawaii", but she KNOWS Mari is straight, and she knows how fragile Marigold is.  Dora also KNOWS what Tai is thinking, which is why she thinks it's so cute.  If she thought it was JUST two people going to lunch, then she wouldn't have gotten all doe-eyed.  I'm less upset at Faye because Faye at least realizes that something should have been done, while Dora simply revels in it.  I'm pissed at Dora for keeping her trap shut (first time I've ever used THAT phrase).

I don't think Tai is going to be interested in Marigold for just a casual encounter.
You were saying...?

and DAMMIT Tai, sometimes a cigar is JUST a cigar!!  Leave poor Marigold alone.

Having said all that: it does make for good reading, so bravo on Jeph for another interesting arc.  I may be mad at the characters, but I'm definitely tuning in for what happens.

UPDATE:

I think it displays a bit of homophobia the reaction that people are having to Tai displaying (what to this point has been) a completely innocent social interest in another girl.
Dude, come ON.  This has nothing to do with homophobia AT ALL.  It's got to do with the fact that Tai's interests are NOT completely innocent, and frankly, rarely are when it comes to women.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing, that's just how she is.  On the other side we have Marigold, who is very fragile and socially deficient - she's putting herself out on a limb, being VERY brave and trying to make a new friend, and she's going to get accosted by Tai, who will hopefully not traumatize the poor girl too much.  It's a reaction of protection towards Marigold, nothing more.

It has NOTHING to do with homophobia, and I really don't think that's a word that should be thrown around so casually.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up