THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 09:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Music Group; Like a Book Group, but with music.  (Read 2582 times)

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!

So I've come up with an idea, and I've talked to a couple of meat life friends to make sure its not totally lame and I figured I'd share it with you.

Essentially what I've been thinking is starting a music discussion group. Personally, I feel like when I get online and talk about music I lose at least 50% of the passion I have for whatever it is I'm discussing, and I hate that because right now the internet it pretty much the only place I have for talking to other people about music I love. And I do really love music!

Now obviously it'd be pretty different to a book group in several ways, but the basic idea was this;

The group consists of maybe 8 people maximum.
Once a week/fortnight (not decided yet) they all meet, and bring along 1-3 albums that they love and want to share with other people.

A) They can bring the albums in whatever format they chose. They could burn like a couple of copies of each album to discs, and hand them out. They could upload the album to a file sharing site and hand out the link. They could even just say it's available online *cough* torrents *cough*.

B) The general rule would be to take something you think others might not have heard of. It doesnt necessarily have to be 'that band Davey von Bohlen was in between breaking up The Promise Ring and forming Maritime and they only did like one EP and they recorded it in Japan', but if you turn up with like, Kings Of Leons new album, you're missing the point a little.

Each person talks a little about what sort of music it is, why they like it, how they first heard of it etc. It doesn't need to be a dissertation, but something to let people know why you think they should give it a spin. Now for the tricky part. Obviously you would try and get together a group of people with fairly eclectic tastes, but even then, everyone has preferences. This is why I decided to have each person bring a few different albums. Each person does not HAVE to take home a copy or decide to listen to EVERYTHING that is presented. As long as each person decides to take home like one or two, there should be enough there to set you up for next week. The first week would obviously just be presenting the albums, but then the second week everyone has given said albums a listen. I was thinking maybe you could divide an hour up for each purpose (or half of however long you decide to meet for). The first hour is a chance to go around the group and for people to give their views. Did they like it or not? Why? What songs did or didnt they like in particular, how they thought it could be improved and maybe even say if they've heard anything like it, maybe they could bring that along to swap back with whoever brought the album along originally. Then the next hour you do the presentation again. Simple (I think).

What do you guys think of this idea? Have you ever heard of anything similar? Can you think of any changes that could be made to the structure?
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: The Music Group; Like a Book Group, but with music.
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2010, 16:20 »

I wish I had friends that listened to stuff I did.

This would be a cool idea. Sitting around spinning vinyl and talking about music (and probably drinking)? Awesome.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2010, 16:27 »

Well it might not necessarily have to be friends. A lot of book groups are brought together through ads in the local paper or online. Sure, I might invite a couple of friends, but I'm more interested bringing together strangers. Not because I'm desperate to meet new people, but I think it's a better way to get people together who are genuinely interested and open to all music and genres. Hopefully. I'm about to start a blog to track my progress in getting the group together, and then I MIGHT use it to post notes on our discussions, all being well. Feel free to steal the idea and try it where you are, I'd be interested to see how crazy I might actually be.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2010, 16:29 »

I just wish I had friends that liked punk. *shrug*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2010, 17:06 »

I would probably do this.

Actually, I just realised that I do kind of do this!

Our student radio station has a music team and the way we decide what goes on our playlist is by everyone bringing in a couple of songs they've heard over the past few weeks, and then we put the song on and everyone listens to it. We then all give it a score from 0 - 5 to decide whether it makes the cut for the playlist. It's a pretty great way of being introduced to new things, although I guess there's not the level of discussion you're looking for.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2010, 17:09 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #5 on: 01 Nov 2010, 18:12 »

That sounds like a cool idea. Too bad nobody I know would want to do it...maybe.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 01 Nov 2010, 20:15 »

A couple of my friends and I have been trying to find a day where we can all just spin vinyl and talk about music. This idea might be a little more feasible.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2010, 03:18 »

That sounds like a cool idea. Too bad nobody I know would want to do it...maybe.

Like I said, get some people you don't know then! Put an ad in your local paper, craigslist or something similar! Thats what I'm thinking of doing.

So, just a quick update, I've started a <a href="blog">http://themusicgroups.wordpress.com/[/url], to track the progress of my idea. Tonight I'm printing up a poster to put up in my local pub, I've had a word with the landlady and she's said she can reserve a table for us in a quiet corner on a Weds evening, when its quietest in the pub. Hopefully I can get a few people together in about a week or so!
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2010, 09:17 by blanktom »

angler2000

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2010, 01:14 »

Very good!!!!!I like.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2010, 09:29 »

It doesnt necessarily have to be ‘that band Davey von Bohlen was in between breaking up The Promise Ring and forming Maritime and they only did like one EP and they recorded it in Japan’,

The one fault I'm seeing here, Thom, is that I would totally end up bringing The One Up Downstairs' self-titled EP at some point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up