THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 03:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enlighten me in the ways of good music  (Read 12391 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: Enlighten me in the ways of good music
« Reply #50 on: 06 Nov 2010, 23:19 »

And for the record, I'm not trying to be a dick here. I just happen to know fuck all about metal beyond the '80s.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #51 on: 06 Nov 2010, 23:23 »

Hair got shorter, tunings got lower, bros got involved.

And some dude stabbed another dude.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #52 on: 06 Nov 2010, 23:24 »

Yeah, but that's when you're supposed to give it a new name.

Like "progressed metal"?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #53 on: 06 Nov 2010, 23:32 »

I'm kinda partial to "regressed."
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #54 on: 07 Nov 2010, 00:33 »

both very soundtracky

Even more so than soundtracky, I'd say that the original poster's taste runs towards "polished" (i.e., clean production and clear hooks). I remember being there when I first listened to Green Day and thought, "Well, that was nice, but I feel like there's more."

In that vein here are the first things that pop into my head in the baby-steps-to-insanity-that-you-just-have-to-hear-to-get-there category of music:

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

REM - Document (but even more so the song Fall on Me from Life's Rich Pageant)

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane over the Sea

Whiskeytown - Pneumonia

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

The Arcade Fire- Funeral

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

You kind of at least need to hate (or LOVE or at least heard) these albums before I get into real music discussion w/ you.

Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: 07 Nov 2010, 03:07 »

Also metal douchery is probably the most hilarious form of douchery. Please quit it guys, it's kind of embarrassing. All getting offended that people might like metal, but GASP they're the wrong kind of people!

Dovey, what would you be like if someone said that you should start getting into indie by listening to The Killers and The Hoosiers.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #56 on: 07 Nov 2010, 03:12 »

I don't even know who The Hoosiers are? And it seems like it would be pretty redundant to recommend the Killers, they are a very visible band.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #57 on: 07 Nov 2010, 03:18 »

See, the thing about the metal scene is a lot of it's quite grass roots. There's a few big bands, big labels, big festivals that make good money, but outside that it's lots of networks of dudes and ladies running little venues, little bands, little distros, little zines and so on, mostly out of a genuine affection for the music and for the other people who like it, who tend to, actually on the whole, be really nice people. It is kind of natural for metalheads to be just a tiny bit pissed off when Vice magazine woke up from a coke binge and decided it new what the best metal bands were, and it was some yowly sloppy crap that was barely related to metal. The last time this properly happened, in the 80's, corporate manufactured cock-rock spandex merchants fucking knocked the metal scene into oblivion, especially in the US, for fucking years. We've also had to deal with nu-metal and fucking deathcore.

Actually, why is it that all these genres arose in America? America, stop trying to be metal full-stop (Panopticon and the dudes from Slough Feg can come over as refugees).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #58 on: 07 Nov 2010, 03:58 »

Panopticon is such a good band name.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #59 on: 07 Nov 2010, 06:07 »

Panopticon is such a good band

In any case, regardless as what constitutes real metal you don't want to recommend something like Katharsis to someone who doesn't listen to metal at all.  You've got to walk before you run, or raid a convent

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #60 on: 08 Nov 2010, 01:33 »

I hate it when people recommend the Beatles but don't actually recommend specific albums and talk about them. Fuck that. I'm talking about Beatles now, you metal-obsessed fucks can go on complaining about the 'incorrect' ways in which others are classifying metal and I'll do something closer to what the opening post asked.

Please Please Me - My favorite Beatles album. They were young, they were still friends, they were fun, they were shit hot. You dance to this, you sing along with this, and you sing it in two-part backing harmony with a lead vocal. It's the catchiest fucking music in the known universe and you don't ever question it for a second. It's simple and pure and perfect that way.

With The Beatles - More complex chord structures and meters. Call and response between lead and backing vocals on the very first track. "Till There Was You" basically tells Frank Sinatra that he's a fuckwad for judging the Beatles so hard, and Paul shines like a diamond. I've never cared much for him, but this is hands down his best vocal work. The production on this album is pretty ace, and they do some great Motown covers on here.

Meet The Beatles (US) - Half of the same stuff as With The Beatles but also includes "This Boy", "I Saw Her Standing There", and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". Three songs you have heard of no matter where you live.

Rubber Soul - Getting more complex, lyrically and musically. "In My Life", "Girl" and "Nowhere Man" all stand out. And fuck you I'm not talking about goddamn "Norwegian Wood", I hate that song, talk to someone else about it if you really must.

Revolver - "She Said She Said", "Good Day Sunshine", "And Your Bird Can Sing", "For No One", "Taxman", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Here, There and Everywhere". All on the same fucking album.

I don't even have to finish their discography. Hell, I even skipped a few albums and went out of order, and I never got past 1966 because even the most plebian of shitheads can talk about the White Album or Abbey Road.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 08 Nov 2010, 04:41 »

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #62 on: 08 Nov 2010, 06:15 »

I started with his self-titled, didn't regret it

Ptommydski

« Reply #63 on: 08 Nov 2010, 10:08 »

I hate it when people recommend the Beatles but don't actually recommend specific albums and talk about them.

The OP said his favourite band is The Beatles. Dude doesn't need to know about his favourite band.

Likewise, dude listens to nothing which would suggest he likes metal. I always liked these threads where people asked for sensible suggestions, I thought we got pretty good at providing a service in that respect, which redeemed an otherwise intimidating subforum. If we just shout out random shit or whatever we happen to be listening to at that moment, they devolve into uselessness. I'll happily sit out threads where people ask about ska or dubstep or metal or any of the thousands of genres I know nothing about if other people will respect the requests of the OP. In this instance, they gave us a bunch of bands they already like so we have lots to work with. Makes sense, no?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #64 on: 08 Nov 2010, 10:38 »

I don't like Pavement and y'all can go suck a cock on the golden gate bridge

Likewise, dude listens to nothing which would suggest he likes metal

I was just being glib! I wasn't expecting other people to start seriously telling the guy to recommend metal, hurr.

Anyway, uh, recommendations:

Tortoise: If you like any kind of post-rock, it is pretty likely you will enjoy Tortoise! They are generally considered one of two or three bands who invented the style. I'd recommend starting off with Millions Now Living Will Never Die.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #65 on: 08 Nov 2010, 11:23 »

I hate it when people recommend the Beatles but don't actually recommend specific albums and talk about them.

The OP said his favourite band is The Beatles. Dude doesn't need to know about his favourite band.

Oh shit dude I'm sorry I totally misread that! That's what I get, I guess. Well, I suppose I'll just copypasta that whole thing to /mu on 4chan after I'm off work tonight, it's decent flamewar fodder and I'm feeling lazy.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Kwaping

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #66 on: 09 Nov 2010, 06:40 »

OP: Also check out GfC by Albert Hammond Jr. That's one of my most played songs, and I think it suits your taste.
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

meatbag

• Not quite a lurker
  • frances the mute
« Reply #67 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:55 »

I'm gonna go with Autechre, Squarepusher, and Aphex Twin. Electronica baby, electronica.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up